SiouxSports.com Forum

New AD says play the Bison!

bison fan north of GF

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The LAST thing I want to do is get sucked into a Sioux-Bison trollfest, but for whatever reason I felt the need to chime in.

It is my personal opinion that rings should be reserved for national championships alone. If you see a player (or former player) with a ring, you automatically figure (or at least I do) that that person has achieved a national championship...they played for and won something great, an achievement few can share. It is a way for that individual to show that they were a part of something special, members of an elite group. If it gets to the point where everyone starts giving out rings for everything under the sun, championship rings are going to have the same importance as participation ribbons, IMHO.

NDSU can give their players whatever they want, it is not my business or really my concern. I personally just don't like the idea of having rings that symbolize anything other than a national championship.

If the two teams were to play again, I would want to see it when both teams are on a level playing field, both in terms of scholarship and transition to FCS.

Feel free to continue with the debate. :silly:

I agree with you on the first part; it gets old and has been for awhile.

As far as rings, I've never envisioned a ring symbolizing a national champions; I've always envisioned a championship trophy. It would be interesting to hear what players on teams do get, if anything.

The LAST thing I want to do is get sucked into a Sioux-Bison trollfest, but for whatever reason I felt the need to chime in.

As far as whether the Sioux and Bison should play again, most threads dealing with the subject leave a bad taste in my mouth. There is good natured rivalry ribbing, and then there is pettiness. It seems like rational people are reduced to ignorant, obnoxious jerks. I am not saying anyone here is an obnonxious jerk, but I would guess that if we were all face-to-face, the conversation would have a different tone.

If the two teams were to play again, I would want to see it when both teams are on a level playing field, both in terms of scholarship and transition to FCS.

Feel free to continue with the debate. :silly:

I totally agree. One side of my family is pro-NDSU, yet they didn't disown me when I chose to attend UND. It was in my best academic interests to attend UND, which is not a knock on NDSU, just pointing out they have different academic strengths as universities. The number of NDSU fans who are jerks is directly proportional to the number of UND fans that are jerks, a very small percentage. The vast majority of the fans are the exact same kind of quality people with different shades of green in their closet.

Having lived outside of North Dakota, the amount of time spent on this topic since NDSU went D1 makes us look like the Hatfield & McCoys, a bunch of hicks fighting over nothing. No one outside of NDSU or UND fans care about this game, and evidently, our own schools don't even care, or else they would've continued playing each other.

How's this for an idea: UND and NDSU are both great football programs! The rivalry is comatose. That's not to say it can't be renewed, but what makes Michigan-Ohio St., Florida-Florida St., Auburn-Alabama, etc. such great rivalries is they play every year no matter what. UND and NDSU no longer have that. We can argue till we are blue in the face, yet nothing will be resolved, except maybe the revelation of individual character. UND and NDSU fans alike have made valid points concerning the amount of success each program has had, but there is no amount of evidence that can be gathered to determine which team has been better since 2003. The only evidence that can speak to that must be found on a scoreboard. Until then, we'll just have to stick to celebrating our own victories, rather than trying to stack them up against our mythical rivals.

I agree with you on the first part; it gets old and has been for awhile.

As far as rings, I've never envisioned a ring symbolizing a national champions; I've always envisioned a championship trophy. It would be interesting to hear what players on teams do get, if anything.

The combination of being 10-1, winning the conference title, being ranked in the top 10, and being denied the opportunity to compete for a National title when you would have easily got an invite had you been eligible . . . the combination warranted rings.

The GWFC title was not the only reason for the rings.

Wake up BisonDan! The gates will the same anyway? Come on, it would be standing room only! You and Gene Taylor must be in cahoots.

They averaged over 18,000 last year in a building that seats 18,900. I don't think that equates to a huge increase in gate receipts. The last time I checked, NDSU doesn't double the price for certain games like a school to the north does.

There is NOT an outcry from Bison fans to renew the rivalry.

They averaged over 18,000 last year in a building that seats 18,900. I don't think that equates to a huge increase in gate receipts. The last time I checked, NDSU doesn't double the price for certain games like a school to the north does.

There is NOT an outcry from Bison fans to renew the rivalry.

I don't think there is an outcry from Sioux fans either. Seems to me that Bison fans are the ones pushing for it on this site.

The combination of being 10-1, winning the conference title, being ranked in the top 10, and being denied the opportunity to compete for a National title when you would have easily got an invite had you been eligible . . . the combination warranted rings.

The GWFC title was not the only reason for the rings.

umm. Nice try, but nope. It does cheapen the rings that have been legitimately won and earned by some great bison teams of the past though. I would even MAYBE concede that if you had gone 11-0 and been number one in the final polls then MAYBE it would have been acceptable.

I see no reason for the two schools to start playing on the gridiron again at this point in time. There is no benefit to either institution. Both football programs have been wildly successful in recent years. The home stadiums of each program will probably be at or near capacity as far as attendance goes. Both football programs are excelling, so they really don't need each other on the football field. UND has had so many wins against NDSU that, to me, it had grown tiresome and somewhat boring years ago. I'm looking forward to competing against long-time established DI FB programs like Southern Illinois, Cal Poly, and Idaho St.

Basketball is an entirely different beast, IMHO. The two schools, especially NDSU, have nothing but positive things to gain by renewing the rivalry on the hardwood.

ok NDSU fan... I know you guys have done well since making the jump up; however you have got to be stupid to think WE, UND, will not do well. Granite you guys were somewhat competitive your last few years at D2. Look at SDSU, whom beat you last year, they were always in the bottom half of the NCC. The old NCC was a FCS conference, and give us credit where due. They benefited by jumping up because they have more cupcake games now then they did in the NCC. We were better then the two of you when you jumped, and we will transition just as good if not better!

ok NDSU fan... I know you guys have done well since making the jump up; however you have got to be stupid to think WE, UND, will not do well. Granite you guys were somewhat competitive your last few years at D2. Look at SDSU, whom beat you last year, they were always in the bottom half of the NCC. The old NCC was a FCS conference, and give us credit where due. They benefited by jumping up because they have more cupcake games now then they did in the NCC. We were better then the two of you when you jumped, and we will transition just as good if not better!

Only time will tell Roger, good luck. Love your screen name by the way..... It was out of my reach, what do you want me to do dive for it?

School gets the trophy, players get a ring. That's how it's always been. I know, I'm old. :D

Okay, that is one way of doing it but don't schools that participate in the bowl system also get rings; I seem to recall Minnesota getting rings after a bowl game and none of Minnesota's bowl games were for the national championships. If so, it would indicate that rings are given out for activities other than championships. I don't know, you might be younger than me :silly:. The old days for me was in the 70s when I attended UND.

No offense intended, I like "people" that have a high IQ like you must have.

it is fine, I do appreciate. That is what I love about our state is when two itelligent people can have a nice conversation even if they disagree. I just try to treat others the way that I would like to be treated...no high IQ about it. Thanks for the compliments, though.

Either way, if NDSU players wanted to get rings for that, good for them...it is none of my business and either way BOTH teams do great things for our state and both teams are good in their own way.

Show this to your new AD, its worth a few good laughs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://s150.photobucket.com/player.swf?ref...p;os=1&ap=1

Heck of a nice senior design project. :silly:

Good to know the fixation and paranoia at hasn't subsided at NDSU.

There are psychiatrists for that; you know, psychiatrists, people with medical degrees from medical schools like at UND. :0

I hope there was no copyright violation using that much of that film. Someone might get sued, by a lawyer, from a law school, like at UND.

:D

The argument for waiting until 2012 is so that one team isn't playing with the deck stacked in their favor. If they played at any time within the next four years it would be a case of a fully transitioned I-AA vs. a team that has not yet completed their transition to I-AA. I personally am not interested in seeing that.

Like I said earlier, there would be little benefit for either school to play each other in football and I really don't give a rat's ass if they ever do. But that is one of the dumbest posts I've read in a while.

I suppose then that you would prefer that UND cancel its games with Idaho St., Southern Illinois, UC-Davis, and several others.

Stop being so obsessed with a school that is in every area completely and totally insignificant to UND. You've become Siouxsports.com's version of JBB.

Like I said earlier, there would be little benefit for either school to play each other in football and I really don't give a rat's ass if they ever do. But that is one of the dumbest posts I've read in a while.

I suppose then that you would prefer that UND cancel its games with Idaho St., Southern Illinois, UC-Davis, and several others.

Stop being so obsessed with a school that is in every area completely and totally insignificant to UND. You've become Siouxsports.com's version of JBB.

I agree with you about the insignificance of playing - but you need to tell all the coaches and your new AD that. It get's sicking hearing all the time how they want to start playing again. It must mean something to them. :lol:

I agree with you about the insignificance of playing - but you need to tell all the coaches and your new AD that. It get's sicking hearing all the time how they want to start playing again. It must mean something to them. :lol:

I think that statement should be directed toward the media, not the coaches and AD. In my opinion, all of the statements about the game stem from news reporters that, in trying to get a story, keep dredging out the "will they play?", "do you want them to play?" questions. Last night I saw a preview for the Fox news in which the headline was: "UND has a new Athletic Director, but what will it mean to NDSU?" Please.

I haven't seen where any statements about the rivalry made by the UND AD and/or coaches (or even people in NDSU athletics) have been introduced without having been asked the question by reporters.

It's the print and television media out of Fargo that keep asking the question about renewing a Sioux/bison game. And of course bison fans constantly talk about it on their blogs and chat lines. By the way, are you lost again Dan. You sure spend a lot of time on this website. Your our best fan. If your end of the valley didn't keep bringing it up it would go away.

It's the print and television media out of Fargo that keep asking the question about renewing a Sioux/bison game. And of course bison fans constantly talk about it on their blogs and chat lines. By the way, are you lost again Dan. You sure spend a lot of time on this website. Your our best fan. If your end of the valley didn't keep bringing it up it would go away.

As usual your wrong - Your new AD and MBB coach just said it. So what if it's asked - they can just say they don't want to play.

Heck of a nice senior design project. :lol:

Good to know the fixation and paranoia at hasn't subsided at NDSU.

There are psychiatrists for that; you know, psychiatrists, people with medical degrees from medical schools like at UND. ;)

I hope there was no copyright violation using that much of that film. Someone might get sued, by a lawyer, from a law school, like at UND.

:sad:

I guess someone is going to fail senior design. ;)

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/i...ection=homepage

PS - Dr. Chapman is out of the country and unavailable for comment. Now you can't make that stuff up. ;)