SiouxSports.com Forum

New AD says play the Bison!

bison fan north of GF

Love Fargo! It's the UND grads that practice medicine in Fargo, like myself, that keep you SU grads healthy so that you can to your tractor pulls, kegs parties at your neighbors and dinners out at the Golden Coral!

I also live in Fargo and love the city, as do thousands of us Sioux fans. Team Makers, football people & media(Mike McFeely) here have tried to keep hockey out of Fargo and really have done a very good job of it. NDSU has had numerous chances at hockey, but has turned down everything. IMHO it's because of the success of UND.

The new Fargo Force team will be a big attraction here, led by Dean Blais, Chad Johnson & one more ex-Sioux guy. Not even McFeely can stop it now. I know football will always be the #1 sport in Fargo, but I think UND has already proven you can have both. My reason for saying that is UND beat NDSU in football the last 9 of 13 games they played against each other and still have claim to the Nickel Trophy. I have met Gene Taylor a couple times, he is a very good person. I just don't understand his thinking on saying that the interest isn't there for the UND-NDSU game.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not enough interest among fans and alumni, eh? Yeah, they just want to talk about how they think their team is better than ours without having to actually back up all that big talk by settling it on the field. We all know they're bitter about losing the last Nickel Trophy game. In all fairness, I will be the first to admit that I'd be much more anxious to see the two schools resume the rivalry had the last Nickel Trophy game been won by the Bison. But because the Sioux currently own the Nickel I really don't care if they ever play the Bison again.

Sounds like you're afraid of your FB team loosing the Nickel? Being afraid of losing the Nickel is no reason to be content with not renewing the rivalry.

The new Fargo Force team will be a big attraction here, led by Dean Blais, Chad Johnson & one more ex-Sioux guy. Not even McFeely can stop it now.

I stand corrected, there's a report on KFGO that someone took a crane to the new hockey rink and did a lot of damage.

I stand corrected, there's a report on KFGO that someone took a crane to the new hockey rink and did a lot of damage.

LB- McFeely's the prime suspect IMO. :silly: Hopefully the cops will find those involved.

This happened in Duluth to UMD's new science building a few years ago and the kids did around $3 million in damage. The HS kids started talking and the cops were on them very quickly. I think the school is now going after the parents.

LB- McFeely's the prime suspect IMO. :silly: Hopefully the cops will find those involved.

This happened in Duluth to UMD's new science building a few years ago and the kids did around $3 million in damage. The HS kids started talking and the cops were on them very quickly. I think the school is now going after the parents.

I think the Fargo police do a very good job. Sounds like the culprits left some evidence...I say let Blaiser have 15 minutes with them after there caught.

We better be careful with accusing McFeely, heard he likes to frequent SiouxSports.com :D

That's a bold move considering they weren't even conference champions. Were they made of paper for the "paper champions"?

Hmmmm . . . that's the same paper championship that you will be playing for over the next 5+ years. That's got to suck.

Hmmmm . . . that's the same paper championship that you will be playing for over the next 5+ years. That's got to suck.

Yeah the transition does suck, but I'd hope our program would have a little more pride than buying phony rings and pretending we won a make believe championship.

Was there any sort of security(fence, etc.) around the site? Not that it would keep a person out if they really wanted in.

I would recommend a security camera or two maybe some kind of an alarm system.

If they catch the moron that did he will be in jail for a long time. Maybe they should hire some

on site security.

Yeah the transition does suck, but I'd hope our program would have a little more pride than buying phony rings and pretending we won a make believe championship.

dl, the hate is just eating you up isn't it....Neither NDSU or Team Makers bought rings for the Bison players last year, come on man, get a clue. I did hear conference rings were awarded when they won the Great West a year ago, if you want to call those phony rings, feel free, it's your conference now. Now what's this about Taylor calling a press conference about thousands of UND students?

Just to back up what mnbison said, the rings were awarded in 2006 when the Bison went 4-0 in-conference and 10-1 overall with no losses to I-AA opponents(just the 10-9 loss to Minnesota). The rings were a way to thank the Bison players who stuck it out through the dark transition years, as well as a way to commemorate a fantastic season that far exceeded even the most optimistic expectations. I believe the decision was made to only consider the conference rings during the transition, since no national championship rings were possible. Since the Bunnies won the GWFC championship this year, the 2006 rings will be the only conference rings given out by NDSU in football. I suppose it's possible that conference rings might be given out in basketball(since winning a NC will be almost impossible) or in football if NDSU were to ever go FBS(for the same reason), but I'm almost positive that you won't see rings given out for a Gateway(or Missouri Valley Football Conference) championship.

Just to back up what mnbison said, the rings were awarded in 2006 when the Bison went 4-0 in-conference and 10-1 overall with no losses to I-AA opponents(just the 10-9 loss to Minnesota). The rings were a way to thank the Bison players who stuck it out through the dark transition years, as well as a way to commemorate a fantastic season that far exceeded even the most optimistic expectations. I believe the decision was made to only consider the conference rings during the transition, since no national championship rings were possible. Since the Bunnies won the GWFC championship this year, the 2006 rings will be the only conference rings given out by NDSU in football. I suppose it's possible that conference rings might be given out in basketball(since winning a NC will be almost impossible) or in football if NDSU were to ever go FBS(for the same reason), but I'm almost positive that you won't see rings given out for a Gateway(or Missouri Valley Football Conference) championship.

It's good to hear the Ag school has upgraded from the gold star and a live goat for rewarding there players.

--Breakin face "Rocky Hager's Illegitimate Son"

If NDSU or its fans gave its players rings (as long as it meets NCAA's laws and restrictions - you never know, the NCAA might find them hostile and abrusive or unfair to others who didn't get the rings), then I say bravo to the administration and fans for showing its appreciation to the players. Every conference and team should do this in my opinion. NDSU has had some good teams the last few years but so has UND. I would expect UND fans to comment on UND on a UND fan board but I'm amazed, given Taylor's comments about not enough interest from NDSU fans to renew the rivalry, that so many NDSU fans comment about NDSU on the UND fan board. While I think both teams and universities can do nicely without each other, they do better together and the rivalry will return but probably only after the current NDSU administration leaves. I never did understand NDSU's rationale that it was in UND's interest to make life easier for NDSU. I also think that UND made a mistake, along with NDSU, in not going D1 in the 70s. UND is in the same situation that NDSU was a few years ago and I don't think it necessarily in NDSU's best interest to make life easier for UND either. When the dust settles, the rivalry will return but probably more fierce than ever given the venom that is read on the fan boards (I read it mostly from NDSU fans but there are some UND fans that spew crap as well).

The LAST thing I want to do is get sucked into a Sioux-Bison trollfest, but for whatever reason I felt the need to chime in.

It is my personal opinion that rings should be reserved for national championships alone. If you see a player (or former player) with a ring, you automatically figure (or at least I do) that that person has achieved a national championship...they played for and won something great, an achievement few can share. It is a way for that individual to show that they were a part of something special, members of an elite group. If it gets to the point where everyone starts giving out rings for everything under the sun, championship rings are going to have the same importance as participation ribbons, IMHO.

NDSU can give their players whatever they want, it is not my business or really my concern. I personally just don't like the idea of having rings that symbolize anything other than a national championship.

As far as whether the Sioux and Bison should play again, most threads dealing with the subject leave a bad taste in my mouth. There is good natured rivalry ribbing, and then there is pettiness. It seems like rational people are reduced to ignorant, obnoxious jerks. I am not saying anyone here is an obnonxious jerk, but I would guess that if we were all face-to-face, the conversation would have a different tone.

If the two teams were to play again, I would want to see it when both teams are on a level playing field, both in terms of scholarship and transition to FCS.

Feel free to continue with the debate. :silly:

Football may be a bit more complicated, but there is no doubt that both the Men's and Women's basketball teams should be playing each other.

It is not complicated now. Same division, biggest single day viewed sports event in the state and huge gate for either school to host game. This is a common sense issue now--the fans of each school want the game to be played, the majority of citizens in the state want the game to be played and my guess is the players want the game to be played. Put egos aside and get this rivarly started again.

It is not complicated now. Same division, biggest single day viewed sports event in the state and huge gate for either school to host game. This is a common sense issue now--the fans of each school want the game to be played, the majority of citizens in the state want the game to be played and my guess is the players want the game to be played. Put egos aside and get this rivarly started again.

We get the same gate whether we play UND or not. You didn't mind watching us go through a scheduling nightmare during our transition so now you go through your 4 years of hell first then we'll talk.

We get the same gate whether we play UND or not. You didn't mind watching us go through a scheduling nightmare during our transition so now you go through your 4 years of hell first then we'll talk.

Really? When SU goes a game or 2 above .500 in the Gateway and doesn't make the playoffs, you think the Bison "faithful" are going to continue to cram the Dome? (Cue tapes from the Babich era)

Didn't mind 'cause I didn't care! :silly: