SiouxSports.com Forum

Roadtrip planning for 2008-2009 season

01grad

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might as well post the pieced together schedule here too: (road trips in bold... cuz that's what this thread is about)

University of Manitoba - Exhibition

Oct 10/11/12 Ice Breaker Tourney - Michigan State, BU, UND, and a UMass school

Oct 17/18 @ Mankato

Oct 24/25

Oct 31/Nov 1 - home against Wisconsin

Nov 7/8

Nov 14/15

Nov 21/22 @ Duluth

Nov 28/29 - home against Cornell

Dec 5/6 - @ Harvard

Dec 12/13 - home against St Cloud

Dec 19/20 - I would guess off for break

Dec 27/28 - Michigan State/ winner of Michigan/Michigan Tech (GLI in Detroit)

Jan 2/3 - @ Bemidji/home against Bemidji

Jan 9/10 - home against Minnesota

Jan 16/17 - @ Michigan Tech

Jan 23/24

Jan 30/31 @ St Cloud

Feb 6/7

Feb 13/14 - home against Mankato

Feb 20/21

Feb 27/28 - home against Colorado College (could be a Sat/Sun series due to high school state tourney)

Mar 6/7

Mar 13/14 - WCHA Playoffs

Mar 20/21 - WCHA Final Five

Mar 27/28 - NCAA Regionals

Apr 9-11 - NCAA Frozen Four in Washington D.C.

I was thinking... depending upon where I end up after graduation that I wanted to go to either Mankato or Tech, but since those two dates are so far apart, perhaps I could just go to both of them. Assuming the FAA hasn't called me up yet...

Might as well post the pieced together schedule here too: (road trips in bold... cuz that's what this thread is about)

University of Manitoba - Exhibition

Oct 10/11/12 Ice Breaker Tourney - Michigan State, BU, UND, and a UMass school

Dec 5/6 - @ Harvard

Dec 27/28 - Michigan State/ winner of Michigan/Michigan Tech (GLI in Detroit)

Jan 2/3 - @ Bemidji/home against Bemidji

I thought WCHA teams didn't travel?

Right. Also, no trip to Minneapolis for the Sioux next season.

Darn. I'm only 2 1/2 hrs from Minny...oh well, probably better for the team anyways. I'm off for the Duluth series, so I'm there, and hopefully I'll be off for the Tech series. Haven't been to either venue, so those are next seasons goals, along with Kato. I should be able to make Kato, too (OLAY!) .

Now if UND comes to Madison Nov 14th/15th count me in for that too, but the goofs are in town against the football team that weekend, it would make for a busy weekend (book your rooms as soon as the schedule is released if this is the case). The 7th/8th football is @ Indiana. Looks like Detroit may also be do-able now, one hour non-stop flight from here...(yikes...at this rate , I can see divorce papers by March!)

Don't knock yourself out trying to get there. They have an ugly arena. Maybe it was because it was so empty...and so yellow. :lol:

True, true. I got my tickets for Sullivan Arena through the UND athletic department, and was excited to see they were right behind the Sioux bench (although I could have really sat anywhere, with all the open seats). Someone told me that more people show up for the ECHL team (the Alaska Aces) than the UAA games, and it really wouldn't take many more people to do that.

The other highlight was seeing Chris Fournier in the stands. :D

But, it is a reason to go to Alaska...

Thanks for the information. I was wondering if a website or somebody may have access to sale start dates for tickets of each school so I could mark it on my calendar to get some good seats. I guess I'll have to be patient, which is tough to do.

Here is the info I posted for last year for tickets:

2007-2008 season:

10/19 BC onsale :D ?? http://ev9.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/S...er=&appCode=

10/20 NE on-sale 09/04 http://www.gonu.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc...gory_Code=MHTIX

10/26, 10/27 Mich Tech on-sale 09/05 906-487-3200 http://www.michigantechhuskies.com

11/09, 11/10 Wisc on-sale 09/24 http://www.uwbadgers.com/tickets/mhky/home...ickets_213.html

11/30, 12/01 Denver on-sale 09/08 http://www.denverpioneers.com/ViewArticle....;ATCLID=1060324

01/04, 01/05 St. Cloud on-sale 09/17 http://www.stcloudstate.edu/athletics/tickets/default.asp

01/18, 01/19 Mankato on-sale 10/01 http://www.msumavericks.com/sporttickets.p...e=mensports.php

02/01, 02/02 Minn on-sale 09/15 http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.db...;ATCLID=1152168

03/01, 03/02 UMD on-sale 10/02 http://www.umdbulldogs.com/ticketing/

My guess is that the on-sale date for conference games will be similar.

I will create a new version for next season when it gets a little closer and more info is available.

Darn. I'm only 2 1/2 hrs from Minny...oh well, probably better for the team anyways. I'm off for the Duluth series, so I'm there, and hopefully I'll be off for the Tech series. Haven't been to either venue, so those are next seasons goals, along with Kato. I should be able to make Kato, too (OLAY!) .

Now if UND comes to Madison Nov 14th/15th count me in for that too, but the goofs are in town against the football team that weekend, it would make for a busy weekend (book your rooms as soon as the schedule is released if this is the case). The 7th/8th football is @ Indiana. Looks like Detroit may also be do-able now, one hour non-stop flight from here...(yikes...at this rate , I can see divorce papers by March!)

I've already looked in hotels in Detroit, airfare too. It's over Christmas break for me that is on my Christmas list! I posted under schedules what I have found out in the last few days. I'm doing Kato too since it's Oct.17-18, roads should be good at that time of the year.Only found one series for Wis. and that is in GF on Oct.31-Nov.1

I'm going to EVERY away series next year! I'm not going to miss ONE single Sioux game......I'm so excited...let me know if you want to carpool! I like to drink and sometimes I don't make it back to GF on time.......if you're in...PM me!!!!!!! :D

I would like to caution anyone thinking about coming out to the Icebreaker that it might coincide with Parents Weekend at BU so be sure to secure hotel accommodations early because when any local college has such a weekend prices are high and rooms are scarce.

I would like to caution anyone thinking about coming out to the Icebreaker that it might coincide with Parents Weekend at BU so be sure to secure hotel accommodations early because when any local college has such a weekend prices are high and rooms are scarce.

Speaking of BU... I bet North Dakota 0, Boston University 0 October 10-11, Would look alot cooler than Boston College 6 North Dakota 1, on the scoreboard on the homepage....

Alrite, I am trying to book a flight and hotel early for the Ice Breaker Tourney in Boston (and when we play Harvard).... What's the cheapest way to go about doing that? Should I use Priceline? Anyone have any advice? Any help is appreciated!! Thanks

Also, what are good places to stay in WCHA cities??

Alrite, I am trying to book a flight and hotel early for the Ice Breaker Tourney in Boston.... What's the cheapest way to go about doing that? Should I use Priceline? Anyone have any advice? Any help is appreciated!! Thanks

Well, obviously book the cheapest flight you can get. Logan Airport is accessible by public transportation so no need to rent a car.

For hotels, well, you have three options: cheap but safe, really expensive, where the team could possibly stay.

Last time around the Sioux players stayed at the Hotel Colonnade but BU is in a different part of the city so I doubt they'd stay there again. More than likely they'll be at either the Holiday Inn at Brookline or the Cambridge Hyatt (which is where most teams stay when they come here). The Hyatt is across the river but you can still walk to the arena. The Holiday Inn is also a 5 -10 minute walk to the arena and is located directly on the T.

For really nice hotels, BU owns and operates a 4.5 - 5.0 star hotel on campus, the Hotel Commonwealth. Rooms there will run you between $300 and $650 a night but it is really nice (the university used to let the athletes and band members stay there free if we had games over school breaks). A few other historic hotels in Boston include the Fairmont Copley Plaza (they have a dog that stays in the lobby that you can book for walks or runs), The Taj (used to be the Ritz Boston), and the Omni Parker House (oldest hotel in Boston and inventor of the Boston Creme Pie).

For cheap and safe, there's the Midtown Hotel down the street from Northeastern or the Hotel Buckminster around the corner from Fenway Park. Boston also has the normal chain hotels Sheraton, Marriot, Westin, Raddison, Hilton.

These recommendations are based on places my family or I have actually stayed, there are lots of other hotels in Boston obviously. Personally, when I have people come visit me in the city, I use hotels.com to check out prices and then I cross reference rates on the hotel's actual website because sometimes they have special deals (my family came up for Easter and I got them a ridiculous rate on a room at the Fairmont through the hotel).

Direct links if you want to check them out:

Holiday Inn Brookline

Cambridge Hyatt

Hotel Commonwealth

Fairmont Copley Plaza

Taj Boston

Omni Parker House

Midtown Hotel

Hotel Buckminster

Lets not forget it may be conflicting with the RED SOX playoff schedule........ :silly:

Alrite, I am trying to book a flight and hotel early for the Ice Breaker Tourney in Boston.... What's the cheapest way to go about doing that? Should I use Priceline? Anyone have any advice? Any help is appreciated!! Thanks

Ok, use this link for the latest Priceline wins in the Boston area, and be sure to check out the Hotels link at the top of the page. If these games are at the Agganis Arena, then I think you'll want the Cambridge zone for PL. Looks like Brighton-Brookline would also work, and maybe the Copley zone. I've never been to Boston, so I may be wrong. Bid here for Priceline. Looks like the Cambridge Hyatt that 31-9 talked about has come up for $60-$75, but it was when the internet rate was $149. Right now the internet rate is $319 for those nights in October. Typicaly PL works best 1-2 months out from your selected dates, but you never know, can't hurt to try I guess. Best thing to do is research those zones you want to stay in, and avoid adding zones that you don't want, so you don't end up there. A lot of times what I do is book a room conventionaly through normal channels, one that you can cancel 24 hrs prior to check in, then keep trying PL. You may end up not getting something until the week before (sometimes the day before), but you can still cancel your res at the "Roach Motel" and stay somewhere nice for the same $. If you don't get something on PL, then you still have your backup plan.

As far as airfare goes, looks pretty high out of GFK and FAR right now, $700-$800. Usually the fares for October come down in July or August, but with the rising oil prices, who knows. I just read that some of the airlines want to raise fares 20%, so you may be better off now. It's about $280 out of MSP. I'd get 6 people together and pile in someone's minivan and head to the Cities.