SiouxSports.com Forum

Roadtrip planning for 2008-2009 season

01grad

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of times what I do is book a room conventionaly through normal channels, one that you can cancel 24 hrs prior to check in, then keep trying PL. You may end up not getting something until the week before (sometimes the day before), but you can still cancel your res at the "Roach Motel" and stay somewhere nice for the same $. If you don't get something on PL, then you still have your backup plan.

We don't really have any "roach motels" in the city, but beware as sometimes search engine type sites will list a hotel as being in "Boston" but don't specify what part of Boston (Back Bay, Kenmore, Financial District, Waterfront, Downtown, Copley = good parts) and that is important because more often than not that hotel is in an unsafe part of the city (Roxbury, Mission Hill, Jamaica Plain, Mattapan, Dorchester, Hyde Park = bad parts). Another tip, many hotels here will charge you just to cancel your reservation, some have a flat cancellation fee and others will charge you a percentage of your bill.

I wouldn't recommend Cambridge as a convenient location. Stay in downtown Boston.

It's easy for us to say this because we live here, but Boston is so expensive for travelers. Cheapest place I've been able to find is the Buckminster which is right in Kenmore Square next to Fenway and a 5 minute walk to the Grid.

Personally, I would suggest staying closer to the downtown area. There is more to do and see. Faneuil Hall, North End, Back bay etc. You can always take the T (green line) to Agganis, it drops you off right in front. T

The T is OK, there is a lot of long overdue renovation going on. If you're making a trip of more than just a day or two, other flight options are Manchester (MHT) and Providence (PVD). Fares can be much cheaper. That said, flying Northwest into Logan is very convenient. They are the only domestic airline in terminal E and if you know where to go, security lines aren't any longer than in GF.

A few other hotel options that I haven't seen mentioned but have stayed at and had good experiences.

- Marriott's Custom House (great location and great staff)

- Holiday Inn Beacon Hill (near TD Bank Garden and the Red Hat, a UND friendly bar, also an easy walk to the North End)

- Hampton Inn Cambridge (at end of the green line, not near a lot but FREE parking, nice new hotel at fair price)

The Icebreaker will be during the peak of foliage season, so New England will be full of tourists and its about the most expensive time to get hotels. Hotel rates will be a lot lower in December and likely so will airfares.

You certainly can get by without a car in Boston, but if you are staying for a couple of extra days there are a lot of easy day trips that make a car worth considering. During foliage season, a trip up into New Hampshire and Vermont is almost a must. Other close in historic sites and Salem, Lexington and Concord, the Kennedy Library, and Plymouth.

• 4 months later...
I'm planning on getting tickets for Duluth for the Nov.21-22 games. Does anyone remember what end we shoot as twice? I'm thinking it's the end with sections 20-28. Driving back from there last year on the ice has erased my memory of where we sat. UMD SEATING CHART

The Sioux will skate towards section 28 twice. We were there last year too. We stayed at the Edgewater Resort. It's a little spendy, but it's only a couple of miles from the Decc, and the kids had a blast. The indoor water park was cool. Duluth is a great road series. It's a fun place to go, and the arena will be half full of Sioux fans.

Alrite, I am trying to book a flight and hotel early for the Ice Breaker Tourney in Boston.... What's the cheapest way to go about doing that? Should I use Priceline? Anyone have any advice? Any help is appreciated!! Thanks

I booked my flight out of Mpls two weeks ago. Total cost round trip, $304. Midwest Airlines, I booked through Travelocity, the cheapest rate I found on line.

As for a hotel, I can't find any in downtown Boston for much less than $200+/night. I think I'm going to book at the Howard Johnson near Fenway park. I think it was around 170. a night and is suppose to be about a mile from the arena. It's only a two star but I'm not going to Boston to hang out in my room. I found another hotel for about the same cost near the harbor, I think it was the Constitution.

The Sioux will skate towards section 28 twice. We were there last year too. We stayed at the Edgewater Resort. It's a little spendy, but it's only a couple of miles from the Decc, and the kids had a blast. The indoor water park was cool. Duluth is a great road series. It's a fun place to go, and the arena will be half full of Sioux fans.

Are you sure that's the end of the ice the Sioux shoot at twice? I was there last year in sections 4 and 5 and I watched Vande Velde score the winning goal on Sunday on my end. They don't switch ends for OT, so I'm just making sure.

I booked my flight out of Mpls two weeks ago. Total cost round trip, $304. Midwest Airlines, I booked through Travelocity, the cheapest rate I found on line.

As for a hotel, I can't find any in downtown Boston for much less than $200+/night. I think I'm going to book at the Howard Johnson near Fenway park. I think it was around 170. a night and is suppose to be about a mile from the arena. It's only a two star but I'm not going to Boston to hang out in my room. I found another hotel for about the same cost near the harbor, I think it was the Constitution.

I would go with the room by the Harbor... :lol:

I am going to the Boston series, we are staying at the Hyatt Harborside at the airport. I have stayed there before and it is easy to get to downtown. I got it for 99$. OF course I work for an airline so I get some good rates.

Yoy got a helluva deal! Cheapest price I found for that hotel wa $379/night. Waaaay out of my price range.

No. I know I have to book one soon but the thought of paying over $200/night is painful. The cheap rooms are in the outer areas so I have to decide between convenience or cheapness. :D

Well, if you're okay with cheapness with a little bit of convenience . . .

there's a hotel that just opened right next to to the Riverside T station in Newton, the Hotel Indigo. I've never been there and have only heard mixed reviews about the place, but it's got rooms for under $200 a night, it's not terribly too far out from the city, and the T is right there.

Riverside is the D green line (yes, this is the line involved in the crash this past summer) so, you could take it into Kenmore then switch to the B line to get to Agganis.

Well, if you're okay with cheapness with a little bit of convenience . . .

there's a hotel that just opened right next to to the Riverside T station in Newton, the Hotel Indigo. I've never been there and have only heard mixed reviews about the place, but it's got rooms for under $200 a night, it's not terribly too far out from the city, and the T is right there.

Riverside is the D green line (yes, this is the line involved in the crash this past summer) so, you could take it into Kenmore then switch to the B line to get to Agganis.

What do you know about the Constitution Inn? It's only $189/night. and near alot of 'touristy' stuff.

Some ticket update info:

Single game tickets at Bemidji State are not yet up for sale. They will take your name and put it on a list and give you a call when the tickets do go on sale. The telephone number is 877-3HOCKEY. I talked to Pam.

UMD tickets for the Duluth series go on sale Monday at 10 am on Ticketmaster.