SiouxSports.com Forum

A letter from Notre Dame...

WiSioux

This was published in today's Dakota Student, but I couldn't find the updated link online, so I thought that I would just type out the letter instead.

"As Students at the University of Notre Dame, we often find that students and fans from other schools would like nothing more than to see us lose.

Regardless of what sport is being played, neutral fans usually cheer against us, sometimes refrain from choosing sides, and almost never cheer for us. So I was slightly surprised when countless fans in Fighting Sioux attire approached me over the course of the weekend, on the streets of Denver, on the concourse in the Pepsi Center, and even waiting in line for the restroom, just to tell me that they sincerely hoped we would beat Boston College.

I was happy to hear that the neutral fans on Saturday night would not be cheering against us. I was completely unprepared, however, for what happened during the national championship game. Midway through the game, my friends and I were amused to find that some of the North Dakota faithful were trying to learn the movements to one of our school's most frequently played songs, the Celtic Chant.

By the end of the game, large groups of green-clad fans were even trying to get our band to play the song more often so that they could join in. Then, I witnessed something that I thought I would never see.

During the third period, as our fans were beginning to lose both hope for a comeback and their voices, a chant of "Let's go Irish" began to rise, not from our section, but from the opposite corner. We looked across the rink to see almost the entire North Dakota section cheering for our team, encouraging not only our players, but also our fans, inciting our corner to continue supporting our team to the very end.

While we we all disappointed that we did not leave Denver victorious, we did leave with a great appreciation for the fans of North Dakota. From Notre Dame students who made the trip to Denver, thank you to the students and fans who, if only for a night, became part of the family of our "ND," and know that, unless we are facing the Fighting Sioux, we will be happy to return the favor in the future."

Amanda Goyer

University of Notre Dame '09

A fantastic letter! For those of us that were at the game, it was so much fun to learn the Irish songs, dances, and cheers. There are definitly a team that I would cheer for again in the future. The Sioux fans did a fabulous job of representing not only the team, but also the University.

EDIT: The link is finally available: Thank You to Sioux Hockey Fans

I was so impressed with our fans (especially the Sioux Crew section) supporting the Irish and, late in the game, LEADING the Irish cheers. I could tell that the Notre Dame fans sitting near me appreciated it. I think we supported Notre Dame, not just because they were playing the team that knocked us out, but because we admired the way they handled the number 1 team in the tourney in the semis. I was bummed at the beginning that our boys weren't in the title game but then I realized how happy the Irish fans were to be there with the opportunity to capitalize on their very first FF appearance and I was truly happy for them. Chins up, Fighting Irish! You gave a great account of yourselves and you'll be back soon.

Maybe this will get Notre Dame to come and play a series at the Ralph!

That would be awesome.

One of the Notre Dame fans who sat next to me said that hockey didn't have a big fan base yet. I bet this year's team changes that pretty quickly.

Notre Dame was really hammering on BC even in the final minutes. Even when the game appeared out of reach, it was still exciting to watch them bang away at Muse. Like them or not, their success is great for college hockey exposure.

Notre Dame was really hammering on BC even in the final minutes. Even when the game appeared out of reach, it was still exciting to watch them bang away at Muse. Like them or not, their success is great for college hockey exposure.

Wish that could be said for Thursday afternoon. :silly:

Considering the sioux game on thursday, I can honestly say the overwhelming support by sioux fans for the irish was probably the best part of the frozen four. I sat in 200 level seats directly above the sioux crew seats and everyone in my section loved our fans and how many of us stuck around even though the sioux lost out. I can honestly say I would cheer for the Irish again, as long as they're not playing us. lol. I gained a lot of respect for their team and their program, and I may have started cheering for them b/c i despise BC, but it was a fun game to witness, and be at, and I went home glad I went to my first frozen four, despite the outcome.

p.s-- i definitely would love to see notre dame at the ralph.

I'd take the Irish over Cornell and Bemidji State any day of the week.

The problem with the CCHA is most of their teams are locked into their big scheudle.

I remember ND coming to UND when the old Ralph was still being used. I don't remember what year it was?

Is it true that EZAC team Cornell is coming to the REA? It will be fun watching UND whoop up on them.

The problem with the CCHA is most of their teams are locked into their big scheudle.

I remember ND coming to UND when the old Ralph was still being used. I don't remember what year it was?

Is it true that EZAC team Cornell is coming to the REA? It will be fun watching UND whoop up on them.

From what I've read on this board and talking to a fan from Cornell on Thurs it sounds like it is going to happen Turkey weekend. Although she did sound pretty happy that the WCHA didn't do well this year in the tournament, she was still bitter about 2005 in Columbus, I said there were four other teams that could have prevented that from happening but didn't.

Isn't that what you did in the Brett Favre retirement thread?

I was trying to be humorous given the fact that it was a GOPHER fan pointing out that Don Lucia (the GOPHER coach) attended Notre Dame.

I was also trying to be funny in light of all the negative posts put on the board recently regarding a certain hockey team's performance last Thursday night.

Apparently my tongue-in-cheek humor wasn't caught by all.

I was won over by the enthusiasm of the Notre Dame cheering section, both Thursday and Saturday. They seemed excited just to be there, but determined to show as much support as they could. (Even the "80" year old gentleman sitting next to me.)

Notre Dame becoming a dominant power in college hockey raises the bar for the rest of us ... their immense financial resources will mean a big arena and the ability to schedule who they want, when and where they want.

Don Lucia is a ND grad :silly:

As I'm sure most of you know, Bob Golic (Mike and Mike show on ESPN) played football for ND. I don't know what day it was this weekend, but Golic was being interviewed on some sports show college hockey segment. As it turns out, Golic worked the penalty box occasionally for ND's home games. I'm guessing he didn't get too much lip from the "cheaters" who were sent to the box.

I was trying to be humorous given the fact that it was a GOPHER fan pointing out that Don Lucia (the GOPHER coach) attended Notre Dame.

I was also trying to be funny in light of all the negative posts put on the board recently regarding a certain hockey team's performance last Thursday night.

Apparently my tongue-in-cheek humor wasn't caught by all.

Apparently mine wasn't either.

I can honestly say that I was wore out after the championship game. I have never cheered so much for a team that wasn't the sioux. I think the Sioux Crew members and myself had a lot of fun doing the irish cheers as well as doing our own (Seive cheer, Beer Song, you sit chant, and of course just yelling Rudy in the third period.) I met up with a couple of irish fans after the game and they could not believe our (North Dakota's) passion for hockey. That in itself is a sense of pride we should all feel.

I can honestly say that I was wore out after the championship game. I have never cheered so much for a team that wasn't the sioux. I think the Sioux Crew members and myself had a lot of fun doing the irish cheers as well as doing our own (Seive cheer, Beer Song, you sit chant, and of course just yelling Rudy in the third period.) I met up with a couple of irish fans after the game and they could not believe our (North Dakota's) passion for hockey. That in itself is a sense a of pride we should all feel.

We may not have the numbers, but pound for pound we have the greatest fans in the world. Ran into so many great Sioux hockey fans and other hockey fans at Brooklyn's we lost count.

Ran into so many great Sioux hockey fans and other hockey fans at Brooklyn's we lost count.

How did you "run" in Brooklyn's? I kinda just got pushed along!! :silly::lol:

Anyway, it was fun cheering for Notre Dame and especially to see the excitement of their fans.

Thanks Amanda for the nice letter!