SiouxSports.com Forum

Reloading Thread

siouxnami

A reasonable alternative, to be sure.... but what about Jones? Steady, solid, doesn't make many mistakes, not flashy, doesn't take penalties (ok...that's not really Sioux captain-esque :) ). VV might sign. Duncan might go too. If so, we could see both Genoway and Jones wearing a letter.

Heck, maybe Martens will wear a letter. I don't know how much more that guy could do for his team off the ice and in practice. He did have a great year this year too all things considered.

i think he will be 3 or even maybe a 4 year guy. according to HF, the oilers look at him as a long term project. i like your thinking on jones. definitely duncan if he stays...he is fantastic.

and your previous post with the caps signing finley... sasha pokulok was a lot like finley and they signed him after his soph season. i think finley is gone for sure.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i bet a one of the three captains next year will include watkins.

kozek is as good as gone. talked to his dad at the final 5. said andrew doesnt no that this is the time of his life and andrew thinks he will be making ton of moeny and life will be great.

was it said like that?

i think he will be 3 or even maybe a 4 year guy. according to HF, the oilers look at him as a long term project. i like your thinking on jones. definitely duncan if he stays...he is fantastic.

and your previous post with the caps signing finley... sasha pokulok was a lot like finley and they signed him after his soph season. i think finley is gone for sure.

I could easily see VV leaving after this year. If he does come back, he's more than likely going to have to deal with what Oshie did this season, centering the top line, getting mugged all season, having all the scoring pressure thrust upon himself and his linemates, etc. I wouldn't blame him if he decided the pro route was worth the money if offered.

1) Increase scoring 0.5 goals per game

Forwards:

8 Ryan Martens F Senior

10 Andrew Kozek F Senior

14 Brad Miller F Senior

16 Ryan Duncan F Senior

20 Matt Watkins F Senior

11 Darcy Zajac F Junior

29 Chris VandeVelde F Junior

18 Michael Forney F Sophomore/Junior

15 Brent Davidson F Sophomore

19 Evan Trupp F Sophomore

21 Matt Frattin F Sophomore

22 Brad Malone F Sophomore

Mike Cichy F Freshman

Jason Gregoire F Freshman

Brett Hextall F Freshman

Mario Lamoureux F Freshman

David Toews F Freshman

Of this group of returning forwards, I think it's very likely at least 1 of Duncan, VV, Kozek leaves, possibly 2. For those more knowledgeable about hockey development, where do you think the increased scoring going to come from? I think VV and Kozek, if they stay, will be better next year. Duncan will be Duncan, but losing Oshie as a linemate will almost certainly have an effect on him. That's why, IMO, VV coming back is so important because he's the only other player on this year's team who could even do a slight Oshie impression. Maybe the fact I never played hockey is making me miss something, but I just don't see much in Martens or Miller. I think if you pulled two guys who could skate from the crowd, give them a #8 & #14 jersey, few would notice. Maybe Zajac can make a jump, but that's based more on his last name than his play. If Forney ever scores a goal for the Sioux, I think we have to consider it a bonus and not something to expect. With all he's gone through, I could see him opting for a change of scenery. I don't know enough about Davidson. Is he a skater or is yet another guy who can only go into the corners and bang? Trupp should be a stud with another year. Same for Frattin. I know absolutely zero about the recruits, but I just hope people don't thrust too many unrealistic expectations on Toews because of his brother. Will the cumulative effect of these 5 new guys be enough to give us a boost?

Losing Chorney defensively hurts our scoring punch as well. I'm sure Eidness & Walski will be fine, but I doubt they match JPL's regular season stats in net. And then of course there is the most important thing of all: NO TJ OSHIE! Every single player who wore a Sioux jersey, with the possible exception of JPL & Walski, was a more effective player by having Oshie was a teammate. He made his linemates better by his play, but he also made things easier for guys on other lines because he always drew the other teams best and they were gunning for #7 at all times. He will be missed immensely!

Just to play devils advocate with myself, maybe other guys will step up offensively and realize they can't simply wait for Oshie's line to score 3-4 goals a game. These kids obviously have talent or else they wouldn't be playing for the Sioux. And of course, I've left out one of the most important thing that might allow us to improve: our coaching staff. This year's Sioux team was very flawed, yet they still made the Frozen Four. In Hak we trust. He's definitely gonna earn his pay next year.

I wonder if it isn't time to dump the cycle offense and start to build a speed team? The Sioux lately (with a couple of obvious exceptions) don't come from behind well, primarily, IMO, 'cause we've got a bunch of hard-nosed kids who love going into the corners. Maybe we need to utilize the speed that's on the team today, supplement that with some very fast kids coming in for 08 and 09?

I miss 7-3 and 6-2 games. And 40 goal scorers.

That being said, I couldn't be prouder of a team than I am of this year's Fighting Sioux. They fought through a lot of injuries, a lot of off-ice distractions, and maybe took a so-so team farther than they belonged.

A reasonable alternative, to be sure.... but what about Jones? Steady, solid, doesn't make many mistakes, not flashy, doesn't take penalties (ok...that's not really Sioux captain-esque :)). VV might sign. Duncan might go too. If so, we could see both Genoway and Jones wearing a letter.

Heck, maybe Martens will wear a letter. I don't know how much more that guy could do for his team off the ice and in practice. He did have a great year this year too all things considered.

Martens had a great year?? Ummm OK....nothing against Ryan but he has zero foot speed and is marginal on talent. If you want to win a national title you need more depth in forward talent than we had this year...that is pretty obvious

i bet a one of the three captains next year will include watkins.

kozek is as good as gone. talked to his dad at the final 5. said andrew doesnt no that this is the time of his life and andrew thinks he will be making ton of moeny and life will be great.

Well if that is the case have fun riding the buses in the ECHL/AHL. If he thinks that he really needs to take Finance 310 at UND.

I could easily see VV leaving after this year. If he does come back, he's more than likely going to have to deal with what Oshie did this season, centering the top line, getting mugged all season, having all the scoring pressure thrust upon himself and his linemates, etc. I wouldn't blame him if he decided the pro route was worth the money if offered.

What a joke!! Only the best players leave after their sophmore year ala Parise, Zajac, and Toews. Some of these guys nedd to get their head out of their arse and realize they are in a pretty good spot. Why don't we just go for the record for early departures....Oshie, Duncan, Chorney, Finley, Kozek, VandeVelde?? That is six!! Oh how bout Watkins, even though he can't score a goal to save his life I am sure he would be a good penalty killer in the NHL with Dallas.....sorry just a lil tongue n cheek...Oh and maybe Malone will ink with Colorado as well

I wonder if it isn't time to dump the cycle offense and start to build a speed team? The Sioux lately (with a couple of obvious exceptions) don't come from behind well, primarily, IMO, 'cause we've got a bunch of hard-nosed kids who love going into the corners. Maybe we need to utilize the speed that's on the team today, supplement that with some very fast kids coming in for 08 and 09?

I miss 7-3 and 6-2 games. And 40 goal scorers.

That being said, I couldn't be prouder of a team than I am of this year's Fighting Sioux. They fought through a lot of injuries, a lot of off-ice distractions, and maybe took a so-so team farther than they belonged.

that makes me think of the last two national titles we won. wow they could skate i remember watching the 97 team play bu and the announcer calling them midgets than no one can skate with. i agree we need a speed team. when you look at the other teams across the country they all have speed. also maybe its time to stop getting the best and having them for a year or two and get guys you can mold for four. when i think of 97 and 2000 i can think of only 1 who left early and that was big mike. i will check that to make sure i am not lying but i can't think of any others.

Yeah....ok....

So...Jpar and J-P couldn't get 'er done for you.

Except that hmmm....wait a sec...

J-P just became the FIRST Sioux goalie to make the Hobie Top Ten list. Oh...and wait....he had the BEST NUMBERS IN NET of ANY GOALIE in the NCAA going into the FF.

Hmmm....

Jon Casey was a Hobey finalist in '84

Martens had a great year?? Ummm OK....nothing against Ryan but he has zero foot speed and is marginal on talent. If you want to win a national title you need more depth in forward talent than we had this year...that is pretty obvious

He does need to work on his foot speed, yes. Did I say he was the best or most improved player on the team? No, I thought most improved belonged to Kozek.

However, compare this season to his last two. The last two years he was barely able to crack the lineup. He finds a scoring touch (not necessarily goal scoring but that pass to Trupp to beat Minnesota was darn nice) and he convinces Hakstol that he deserves to play. I think that's something to be proud of if I were Martens or a fan of his.

What a joke!! Only the best players leave after their sophmore year ala Parise, Zajac, and Toews. Some of these guys nedd to get their head out of their arse and realize they are in a pretty good spot. Why don't we just go for the record for early departures....Oshie, Duncan, Chorney, Finley, Kozek, VandeVelde?? That is six!! Oh how bout Watkins, even though he can't score a goal to save his life I am sure he would be a good penalty killer in the NHL with Dallas.....sorry just a lil tongue n cheek...Oh and maybe Malone will ink with Colorado as well

I'm not saying he should leave, but if he gets offered a contract, I could see him deciding to leave. I don't know if you've been following college hockey this season, but there seems to be an increase in tension between NHL teams and college programs. If the Oilers decide they'd rather see one of their draft picks develop in the minors rather than get mugged every single night due to the fact he'll be one of about only 4 players on our team capable of scoring a goal next year, I think there's a possibility he would leave.

I find it funny how every time anyone says anything negative about a player's game, they are attacked by the morality police for picking on kids, yet when one talks about players leaving college and deciding they'd rather get paid for doing the same thing they are currently doing for free, we are supposed to talk about these same kids as if they were sage, old wisemen who can see all ends and would never make an ill decision. So let's decide right now, so I know exactly what I'm allowed to say on these board and what I'm not; are UND hockey players little kids who cry at the first sound of criticism or are they the forever unerring athletes who always make the right decisions and never make a mistake on or off the ice?

looks like finley is staying.

http://www.pennlive.com/hersheybears/patri...&thispage=2

gotta go to the second page.

"Caps prospect Joe Finley's University of North Dakota season has concluded, but the defenseman isn't expected to join Hershey"

That just means he isn't going to joine them this season. I would look for him to sign in the off-season.

"Goaltending killed us in the end the last 3 seasons, hopefully Eideness ends that."

Yeah....ok....

So...Jpar and J-P couldn't get 'er done for you.

Except that hmmm....wait a sec...

J-P just became the FIRST Sioux goalie to make the Hobie Top Ten list. Oh...and wait....he had the BEST NUMBERS IN NET of ANY GOALIE in the NCAA going into the FF.

Hmmm....

Oh, but wait. J-Par was a sieve. No...wait....a funnel. No...wait...hmmm...scratch that. He was a pretty decent netminder.

Dang. So much for that theory.

But hey. Hopefully Eidsness ends that.

Or maybe Walski will continue his shutout streak?

I'm just sayin....goaltending hasn't really been a short suit in past years.

JP had a great season and was probably the main reason the Sioux made it to the frozen four, but as the quote says "in the end" which indicates he didn't get the job done in the frozen four. This is what happened, he was off and gave up some very soft goals against BC as well as just looking lost at times. The loss isn't on him but he certainly didn't play the way he was capable of and had most of the season.

JP had a great season and was probably the main reason the Sioux made it to the frozen four, but as the quote says "in the end" which indicates he didn't get the job done in the frozen four. This is what happened, he was off and gave up some very soft goals against BC as well as just looking lost at times. The loss isn't on him but he certainly didn't play the way he was capable of and had most of the season.

Team game and it was more than goaltending, win as a team and you lose as a team.

The boys left JPL out to dry a few too many times. The Figthing Sioux will be back.

It's obvious to me that we aren't quite at the next step - What do you think we need to bring back # 8 (this is not intended to bash coaches or players) - I think a constructive conversation would be good

My Ideas-

- Our lack of speed at the highest level was exposed big time. We need more offensive players who can fly.

- Our freshman and sophomore classes are average. I'm not saying we don't have some good players, but compare our freshman and sophomore stats to other WCHA teams (especially on offense) - we don't have any studs like Oshie or Parise. Imagine what one more quality player could have done for this team. We need to recruit harder. A team full of role players and grinders won't cut it against Boston College.

- We need scoring from all lines. Wait until next year - you'll see how much Oshie carried us.

- I'm disapointed that we don't have a goalie waiting in the wings - In my eyes this is a recruiting lapse. Even though Lammy had a season for the books, wouldn't it be nice to have a goalie with some game experience next year.

- Hopefully Vandevelde and Trupp step it up one notch next year. We need someone to have a monster breakout year.

- Something different needs to be done as far as prep for the Frozen Four if we make it next year. Our intensity the last two years sucked. I have never seen a Sioux team look as lost in a big game as Thursday.

- I love a physical game - It's vintage Sioux hockey. However, Boston showed us that you can have offense and be physical.

- I'm not a fan of dump and chase and cycle all of the time.

- Uninspired play the first half of the year just doesn;t cut it. If you try to ride a streak instead of playing solid hockey all year it's very easy to miss the peak - I like Blais's hockey approach much better - Be excellent all year

Other thoughts?

I'm not saying he should leave, but if he gets offered a contract, I could see him deciding to leave. I don't know if you've been following college hockey this season, but there seems to be an increase in tension between NHL teams and college programs. If the Oilers decide they'd rather see one of their draft picks develop in the minors rather than get mugged every single night due to the fact he'll be one of about only 4 players on our team capable of scoring a goal next year, I think there's a possibility he would leave.

I find it funny how every time anyone says anything negative about a player's game, they are attacked by the morality police for picking on kids, yet when one talks about players leaving college and deciding they'd rather get paid for doing the same thing they are currently doing for free, we are supposed to talk about these same kids as if they were sage, old wisemen who can see all ends and would never make an ill decision. So let's decide right now, so I know exactly what I'm allowed to say on these board and what I'm not; are UND hockey players little kids who cry at the first sound of criticism or are they the forever unerring athletes who always make the right decisions and never make a mistake on or off the ice?

Doing it for "free" um you are dead wrong there my friend...last I checked these guys are on scholarship and get a free education. Some take advantage of it and some so not. But as I can attest to paying back student loans is not all that fun....so no they are NOT doing it for free.

It's obvious to me that we aren't quite at the next step - What do you think we need to bring back # 8 (this is not intended to bash coaches or players) - I think a constructive conversation would be good

My Ideas-

- Our lack of speed at the highest level was exposed big time. We need more offensive players who can fly.

- Our freshman and sophomore classes are average. I'm not saying we don't have some good players, but compare our freshman and sophomore stats to other WCHA teams (especially on offense) - we don't have any studs like Oshie or Parise. Imagine what one more quality player could have done for this team. We need to recruit harder. A team full of role players and grinders won't cut it against Boston College.

- We need scoring from all lines. Wait until next year - you'll see how much Oshie carried us.

- I'm disapointed that we don't have a goalie waiting in the wings - In my eyes this is a recruiting lapse. Even though Lammy had a season for the books, wouldn't it be nice to have a goalie with some game experience next year.

- Hopefully Vandevelde and Trupp step it up one notch next year. We need someone to have a monster breakout year.

- Something different needs to be done as far as prep for the Frozen Four if we make it next year. Our intensity the last two years sucked. I have never seen a Sioux team look as lost in a big game as Thursday.

- I love a physical game - It's vintage Sioux hockey. However, Boston showed us that you can have offense and be physical.

- I'm not a fan of dump and chase and cycle all of the time.

- Uninspired play the first half of the year just doesn;t cut it. If you try to ride a streak instead of playing solid hockey all year it's very easy to miss the peak - I like Blais's hockey approach much better - Be excellent all year

Other thoughts?

I agree 100% with those comments

I agree 100% with those comments

Me too.

Some posters are so busy drinking the all is well cool-aid they can NOT allow for even constructive criticism.

The last four years have shown that in the BIG TOURNY lack of team speed, scoring depth and sound defense kills them.

No experience at goalie, losing the guy that carried them for two years and a couple other defections makes next year a rebuilding year.

Me too.

Some posters are so busy drinking the all is well cool-aid they can NOT allow for even constructive criticism.

The last four years have shown that in the BIG TOURNY lack of team speed, scoring depth and sound defense kills them.

No experience at goalie, losing the guy that carried them for two years and a couple other defections makes next year a rebuilding year.

i actually disagree with a number of the comments that Irish made. it would take too long to touch all.

i have to disagree with your comment too. people will be surprised at how good next years team will be. i have no question with their talent, it is the character that i do not know.

i agree with your first comment...the drinking was REALLY disappointing. makes me glad to lose oshie. if im not mistaken, all of the guys that have gotten into trouble with the police will be gone after this year. that is good.

Doing it for "free" um you are dead wrong there my friend...last I checked these guys are on scholarship and get a free education. Some take advantage of it and some so not. But as I can attest to paying back student loans is not all that fun....so no they are NOT doing it for free.

Sorry, free tuition doesn't put money in your pocket like an NHL contract does, which is what might entice a player to leave. You're paying back student loans, so I'm assuming your earned your degree and are currently working in your chosen profession. If the biggest employer in your field came up to you after your sophomore year and offered you a job, would you have turned it down? Playing hockey at UND is a unique experience that many players wouldn't trade for anything, but not all players feel this way. In fact, many former players have stated that they didn't realize how lucky they were to play at UND until after they left, not because they were treated badly or disliked their experience, but because 18, 19, & 20 year olds don't always see things as clearly as they do when they are 40. I also think that we as fans sometimes have to realize that UND hockey might mean more to us than some of the players. I think that's true of any fanbase. It all depends on what matters most to Chris or any of the other underclassmen, which neither you nor I can speak to. That's why I'm saying it's possible he could be gone next year. If you're 100% certain that he is coming back, then I hope you're right, but neither of us know. That's why it's called speculation.

We've got some big time scorers coming up. We did have a goalie in the wings, and he is now in the OHL.

Agree that we need some more speed.

While I am not on the bannish Hextall to Kamchatka band wagon, I do believe that there are some issues that we really need to address as far as style of play. We were beaten to a pulp by a team that resembled...the 1997 Sioux: A bunch of little, skilled forwards who can flat out fly.

More than personel, however, I am starting to move away from the system. This is critical, as for any system to work, the players have to believe in it 100%.

A high breakout is ridiculous. It is an attempt to open the ice east/west to beat a neutral zone trap, but it flat out doesn't work.

1. If the forechecker(s) are top end skaters, they will cut off the passing lanes and force the defenseman to skate the puck up (how many times did we see Marto or Chay or Taylor have to do this?) then you end up with four Sioux at the offensive blue line, actually helping the opponent clog up the ice. From that point it is basically a stop and start into the attack zone, so you are not carrying any speed or the right number of players into it. 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 is fine into the attack zone, it allows room to manuever. 4 on 4 or 4 on 5 or 5 on 5 at the offencive blue line is not a transition game, it is pick-up hockey.

2. If you try and force the outlet pass on the high break out, you are going to give up a ton of neutral zone turnovers. Even if you hit the forward, the pass is going to have to be a bullet to get there, meaning that there is a high likelihood of it not being able to be caught cleanly. Add to it the fact that at that kind of velocity if the pass is off even a tiny bit, the puck is going to be in the skates or off the boards, it isn't going to be on the tape.

3. We need to shorten up the passes and establish a good clean breakout. Good positional hockey. I don't want to see a forward past the hash while the puck is still behind our net.

Next Point is the cycle. Man, how many times do we have to see it not work! Proponents will show the few times a year that it does work or tout how it wears down the opposition...JUNK. I never again want to see three forwards below the goal line or on the same side of the ice. Wingers roam the circle on your side of responsibility, go into the corner to dig or drive your post with your stick on the ice. That's it. Weak side wingers find an open spot with a nice look at the net, keep your feet moving so you can go into the corner or drive the net or get at a loose puck, again keep the stick on the ice and be ready to shoot. This is fundamental positional hockey. Centers should be all over the ice like a coked up lunatic, diging for the puck and looking to make passes. How do we never effectively run a give and go by the way? For cripes sake, we learned how to do that well in Pee Wee.

I thoroughly believe that the criticism of Brian Lee, Derek Lapoint, Joe Finley and even Taylor Chorney some this year is less their fault than the fault of the system and of the forwards. I belt Wade Redden would have trouble transitioning a breakout if his forwards were up past the red line. I also think that very breakout led to those clogged up offensive blue line situations where a good poke check springs the other team into transition and leaves those d-men out on an island. That being said, our defensemen need to be more aggressive.

Anyway, that is my take. We will reload and be just fine personnel-wise. I think we need a system reload to go with it.