SiouxSports.com Forum

Reloading Thread

siouxnami

Back on topic, where is our scoring going to come from next year. It seems most people agree we need faster, more skilled players in order to bring home a championship. Where are those players going to develop on our roster? I gave my analysis earlier and I didn't see where we were going to get a boost in goals. If anything, I think we'll take a dip in scoring. We're going to have early departures for sure, so that means that we might as well forget about competing before January 1, 2009, which is evidently fine with everyone on this board, since when, back in December, I stated I'm sick of the poor starts that have seemingly become the new definition of Fighting Sioux hockey and was subsequently lambasted by everyone for being a poor fan who doesn't support the team. So, I ask again, where is the scoring going to come from. Someone mentioned Martens scoring 30 goals next season. What makes you say that? Are the new recruits going to be the spark we need? I'm curious to know what you guys and gals think.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back on topic, where is our scoring going to come from next year. It seems most people agree we need faster, more skilled players in order to bring home a championship. Where are those players going to develop on our roster? I gave my analysis earlier and I didn't see where we were going to get a boost in goals. If anything, I think we'll take a dip in scoring. We're going to have early departures for sure, so that means that we might as well forget about competing before January 1, 2009, which is evidently fine with everyone on this board, since when, back in December, I stated I'm sick of the poor starts that have seemingly become the new definition of Fighting Sioux hockey and was subsequently lambasted by everyone for being a poor fan who doesn't support the team. So, I ask again, where is the scoring going to come from. Someone mentioned Martens scoring 30 goals next season. What makes you say that? Are the new recruits going to be the spark we need? I'm curious to know what you guys and gals think.

If I am not mistaken don't have a lot of high end talent tied up for the next three years?

If you look at the numbers it would appear there are going to be some players that will have to step it or they will be

sitting in the stands.

ANybody else up on a systems reload as opposed to player reload. The best thread regarding the new guys is the 2007-2008 Sioux Recruits-monitoring their junior league play.

The one thing to keep in mind is that the likes of a Jonathan Toews or Zach Parise showing up on our door year in and year out is a ridiculous expectation. Those two guys are absolutely elite NHLers. No team gets those types of recuits each and every year. We got spoiled with them.

Intersting side note, this team had zero 20 goal men. When is the last time that a Sioux team didn't have a single guy on the team pump in 20?

if kozek and duncan stay we will have zero firepower problems. if both go, we will still be good...people are too concerned with the oshie departure. the talent is rediculous for next year.

For starters, you want your current guys to improve. I can't say if Duncan and Kozek will come back, but there will be much higher roles for VV, Frattin, and Trupp regardless. Also, with the losses of Chorney and Bina, they will need to make up for that offensive firepower from the blueline, meaning that Marto and LaPoint will have much higher roles. As for the freshmen, Gregoire and Toews will have the easiest adjustment. From what I understand, Cichy is probably going to go through some ups and downs because he has some weaknesses in his game.

Intersting side note, this team had zero 20 goal men. When is the last time that a Sioux team didn't have a single guy on the team pump in 20?

1993-94. Landon Wilson was the goal scoring leader, lighting the lamp 18 times for a Sioux squad that went 11-23-4 (.342). Wilson tied Marty Schriner for the team lead in points with 33.

The 2004-05 Sioux team was close, as freshman Travis Zajac netted 20 goals to lead UND in that category.

Dave

if kozek and duncan stay we will have zero firepower problems. if both go, we will still be good...people are too concerned with the oshie departure. the talent is rediculous for next year.

I hope you're right. I think Duncan had a little less of an impact this year than last. Whether that had to do with more teams aware of him after winning the Hobey or with the departure of Toews from his line is up to each individual. It certainly had nothing to do with Duncan's ability or work ethic. Regardless, I think Duncan's production could potentially slide next year either due to the fact that he'll get even more attention being the team's clear #1 guy next year or due to the fact he's going to have a less talented player centering his line than this past year. Duncan is amazing at what he does, but he is not the type of player who is going to make plays single-handedly against WCHA defenses on a consistent basis. He's more of a finisher than a playmaker, IMO, which is not meant to be a knock on his game, just an observation. At least he can find net, which is more than a lot of our forwards can say.

As far the talent coming in and players developing, wasn't that same thing supposed to happen this year as well? Does anyone else remember reading pre-season articles in which discussion of the top line in college hockey automatically took Duncan & Oshie's line out of the equation? Well, did we ever figure out who made up that line besides those two? How many different line combinations did we have this year? We could never even establish a top line because no one seemed to be able to step up and claim it. I could easily see a very good top line next year assuming Duncan, VV, & Kozek come back, but after that what do we have left? Martens? Miller? Davidson? Forney? Frattin? Zajac? Trupp will be good and I'm going to assume at least one of the freshmen can be next year's version of Trupp, but I wouldn't expect too much right away. I guess maybe that's a good thing. The best teams in college hockey nowadays seem to stink it up for 3 months and then catch fire at the end. Maybe I should be encouraged that we'll be so young next year. :)

It is going to be a new look Sioux team next year

I think we'll see something like below to start:

VV with Watkins and Gregoire

Trupp with Toews and Cichy

Zajac with Frattin and Hextall

Fourth line up for grabs: Martens, Miller, Davidson, Forney, Malone, lamoureaux

Marto and Jones

Lapoint and MacWilliams

Blood and ___________

It is going to be a new look Sioux team next year

I think we'll see something like below to start:

VV with Watkins and Gregoire

Trupp with Toews and Cichy

Zajac with Frattin and Hextall

Fourth line up for grabs: Martens, Miller, Davidson, Forney, Malone, lamoureaux

Marto and Jones

Lapoint and MacWilliams

Blood and ___________

Did Genoway get cut? :)

Find it intersesting that UND will have all these freshman cracking the line-up in '09. Outside of Trupp at forward, Malone and Frattin were not real consistant or solid as freshman. Where is Martens in this conversation? He will play next year because he does things well, not great, on both ends of the ice. And obviously Hak sees something in Miller? :silly: Lots depends on who goes and stays obviously.

I wonder if it isn't time to dump the cycle offense and start to build a speed team? The Sioux lately (with a couple of obvious exceptions) don't come from behind well, primarily, IMO, 'cause we've got a bunch of hard-nosed kids who love going into the corners. Maybe we need to utilize the speed that's on the team today, supplement that with some very fast kids coming in for 08 and 09?

I miss 7-3 and 6-2 games. And 40 goal scorers.

That being said, I couldn't be prouder of a team than I am of this year's Fighting Sioux. They fought through a lot of injuries, a lot of off-ice distractions, and maybe took a so-so team farther than they belonged.

I completely agree, how many national titles have we won with this style of play- 0, how many did Blais win with a smaller quicker lineup- 2. hmm, let's see BC just won a title with a smaller quicker lineup in fact our guys looked like they were in quicksand compared to BC. I'd like to see a team where it is abnormal to score under 4 goals a game instead of the other way around. It's all funa and games to make the Frozen Four but it don't mean a thing without the ring.

Just addressing history here:

Blais won one title with the 4-line speed team - 1997. He had very similar teams in 1998 and 1999, but they didn't manage to win.

2000 was a very different team - two good offensive lines (Goren/Ulmer and Panzer/Lundbohm) and the rest of the guys playing roles.

2001 was even less deep - five elite players (Panzer, Lundbohm, Bayda, Roche, KG) and a bunch of guys who played roles (some of them, like Spee and Notermann, brilliantly).

It seems obvious to me that Hak likes to build a team with guys recruited to play specific roles. That's why they have brought in players like Porter, Fabian, Kaip, Watkins and Malone. It's why this year's class will have scorers (Gregoire, Toews, maybe Cichy) and grittier players (Mario, Hextall). It's why the defensemen in the pipeline include little skaters (Gleason, Mattson) and big bruisers (Blood, McWilliam, Finehage).

I like the balance. It lets you play the game any way the opponent wants to. It also helps you survive the WCHA. The liberties some of the older teams in the bottom half would take with a team without grit would be frightening.

Also, bigger, grittier guys can have an important effect on games. Down the stretch in 2005, the Canady, Massen, Fabian line changed the momentum of a playoff game countless times. They simply moved the puck smartly up ice, gained the zone and kept it there for the entire shift. The game changed each time, and by the end the opponents were worn out.

I don't think this team's finish should damn the concept of a balanced team. For whatever reason, this team was just not playing well down the stretch. Was it injuries, the flu, the WJC :silly:, coaching, drinking? Sometimes it's just the way it is. JPL kept the team afloat through most of the lethargy, but when he crumbled, it was over. I look forward to next year's balanced team.

"Fight on sioux"

Fight on Sioux, we're all for you

We're thousands of strong and loyal souls

We know you'll win every game you're in

No matter how distant the goals

As we go, we'll show each foe that

We're the toughest team between the poles

We're rough and tough it's true

But we're sportsmen through and through

We're the fighting Sioux from North Dakota U

Just addressing history here:

Blais won one title with the 4-line speed team - 1997. He had very similar teams in 1998 and 1999, but they didn't manage to win.

2000 was a very different team - two good offensive lines (Goren/Ulmer and Panzer/Lundbohm) and the rest of the guys playing roles.

2001 was even less deep - five elite players (Panzer, Lundbohm, Bayda, Roche, KG) and a bunch of guys who played roles (some of them, like Spee and Notermann, brilliantly).

My memory is often faulty but I believe that the failure of those small skilled teams when facing large BU/MI? teams was a factor in Blais changing the mix of players he recruited. Seems like that's when he started getting bigger more physical players. I seem to recall he made comments to that effect, but I can't say for sure either.

My memory is often faulty but I believe that the failure of those small skilled teams when facing large BU/MI? teams was a factor in Blais changing the mix of players he recruited. Seems like that's when he started getting bigger more physical players. I seem to recall he made comments to that effect, but I can't say for sure either.

i think that winning a championship takes a lot. puck luck, chemistry(which i think never was this year), will to win, rediculous goaltending, etc. you can win with big teams, fast teams, offense, defense....its not just one setup. i dont think that this would be as big of a deal if we had not lost to bc this year.

very early prediction for wcha next year:

1. CC

2. Denver

3. Minny-a trip to DC isn't out of the question as they won't have to leave the state of MN for a playoff game with the West Regional being at mariucci.

4. Wisconsin

5. SCSU

6. UND-to many questions to be answered on defense, in goal and for scoring.

7. msu-makato

8. tech

9. duluth

10. aa.

1. CC

2. Denver

3. Minny-a trip to DC isn't out of the question as they won't have to leave the state of MN for a playoff game with the West Regional being at mariucci.

4. Wisconsin

5. SCSU

7. msu-makato

8. tech

9. duluth

10. aa.

ill bet 1 million that und finishes top 5....strike that. why are you predicting how the wcha finishes next year? the season ended 2 days ago.

1. CC

2. Denver

4. Wisconsin

5. SCSU

7. msu-makato

8. tech

9. duluth

10. aa.

AHEM, I don't see UND finishing below 4th in the WCHA.