SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures

AZSIOUX

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest difference between the 2 is that Turris wanted to sign, and Wheeler wanted his degree first. He is on schedule to do that by the end of this term. Believe or not, some of this guys actually DO care about getting an education as well.

thats fine if you really feel that way. like ive said it wasnt wheelers fault he was drafted where he was drafted. it was the former phx scouts fault. thats fine about wheeler and the degree as well but dont kid yourself, phoenix knows what they have in wheeler and will get him into their system asap to see if they can get a return on the huge investment which is a 5 pick. they knew they were going to sign turris from day one this season when buckys season ended as he is by far their top guy they want in at the nhl level

I am waiting to hear Van Riemsdyke go too.

For a long time, the WJC has been the stage that the pro scouts look to as far as readiness to play at the NHL level.

J VR lead the 2008 tourney in scoring

Turris, led Canada in scoring on the way to gold.

The big names the last few years: Kessel, Johnson, Johnson, Toews, Malkin, Ovechkin, Crosby, Bergeron, Parise, Kane, Phaneuf, Carter, Getlaf

go back a ways: Bure, Gretzky, Lindros, Forsberg.

Turris, based on WJC performance alone was heading to the show.

I am waiting to hear Van Riemsdyke go too.

For a long time, the WJC has been the stage that the pro scouts look to as far as readiness to play at the NHL level.

J VR lead the 2008 tourney in scoring

Turris, led Canada in scoring on the way to gold.

The big names the last few years: Kessel, Johnson, Johnson, Toews, Malkin, Ovechkin, Crosby, Bergeron, Parise, Kane, Phaneuf, Carter, Getlaf

go back a ways: Bure, Gretzky, Lindros, Forsberg.

Turris, based on WJC performance alone was heading to the show.

the sports radio guys here in az just emailed me asking for questions for turris as they did a taped interview with him earlier. we will see if any of mine made the cut :lol: they were pretty standard regarding why he chose college like toews did instead of juniors ect ect ect....how well he thinks the wcha helped him prepare for the nhl and questions regarding the wjt and if he plans on going back to sconnie someday or online to get his degree..blah blah blah i know but was fun to think these up being he was a wcha guy...will post back answers if they use any of them

not a early departure but 4 year cc player jack hillen who had a hell of a year signed with the islanders. good for him!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/transactions

another 4 year player so not early departure but bryan lerg from michigan state, the cousin of states goalie jeff lerg has signed a free agent contract with the oilers

the sports radio guys here in az just emailed me asking for questions for turris as they did a taped interview with him earlier. we will see if any of mine made the cut :lol: they were pretty standard regarding why he chose college like toews did instead of juniors ect ect ect....how well he thinks the wcha helped him prepare for the nhl and questions regarding the wjt and if he plans on going back to sconnie someday or online to get his degree..blah blah blah i know but was fun to think these up being he was a wcha guy...will post back answers if they use any of them

If The Hockey News Newsletter is to be believed. . . .Turris will be playing the Coyotes' final three games and then will be heading back to Wisco to finish up his first year of school. Sounds like this is something that the Coyotes agreed to rather than to send him to San Antonio?

let's hope that KT talks up the WCHA as much as JT, so we can keep getting that top end talent!!! KO did his best to hurt that, but i remain hopeful that he only hurt the MN rep with the top dogs, not the rest of the league.

here is the website for the radio station but im not sure what tme they will air it, i will email and ask

http://www.ktar.com/sports/?nid=0

off topic those pics of matt leinart ar priceless ont the homepage there, hes tanked and those ar 18 year old chicks from az :lol: better watch your back matty, those pics will haunt you when the girlies are bonging beers at age 18-19..just hope they dont crash driving home as that is serious stuff! saw him and nick lachey at the ncaa regional bball games as they were sitting in front of me. man those guys can pull some..................... ;) mafia man style :D

i will check back with a time hopefuly

thats fine if you really feel that way. like ive said it wasnt wheelers fault he was drafted where he was drafted. it was the former phx scouts fault. thats fine about wheeler and the degree as well but dont kid yourself, phoenix knows what they have in wheeler and will get him into their system asap to see if they can get a return on the huge investment which is a 5 pick. they knew they were going to sign turris from day one this season when buckys season ended as he is by far their top guy they want in at the nhl level

Under the old CBA Wheeler is still eligible for the 30% of his entry contract for a bonus. I believe that counts against the cap in whatever year he signs. NHLPA will not want Wheeler to sign for peanuts.

It's definately far more complicated situation than Turris who was a cheap sign and a no doubt top six forward for MANY years in the NHL. If I'm Phoenix and I don't KNOW Wheeler can be a top six forward I really don't know if I sign him. Or at least I don't offer the big time money that other high picks from his draft class received.

Lucia said on the radio today he would be surprised if Wheeler returns, but that we will find out one way or the other fairly shortly. I believe that to be wishful thinking on Lucia's part. The Wheeler negotiations will be tough unless Phoenix just goes ahead and pays him. If that is the case he'd be crazy not to sign. It may be his best contract.

Under the old CBA Wheeler is still eligible for the 30% of his entry contract for a bonus. I believe that counts against the cap in whatever year he signs. NHLPA will not want Wheeler to sign for peanuts.

It's definately far more complicated situation than Turris who was a cheap sign and a no doubt top six forward for MANY years in the NHL. If I'm Phoenix and I don't KNOW Wheeler can be a top six forward I really don't know if I sign him. Or at least I don't offer the big time money that other high picks from his draft class received.

Lucia said on the radio today he would be surprised if Wheeler returns, but that we will find out one way or the other fairly shortly. I believe that to be wishful thinking on Lucia's part. The Wheeler negotiations will be tough unless Phoenix just goes ahead and pays him. If that is the case he'd be crazy not to sign. It may be his best contract.

yes wheeler will sign, just a matter of when. they need to get him in the system and see what they have in their draft pick

here is the website for the radio station but im not sure what tme they will air it, i will email and ask

http://www.ktar.com/sports/?nid=0

off topic those pics of matt leinart ar priceless ont the homepage there, hes tanked and those ar 18 year old chicks from az :lol: better watch your back matty, those pics will haunt you when the girlies are bonging beers at age 18-19..just hope they dont crash driving home as that is serious stuff! saw him and nick lachey at the ncaa regional bball games as they were sitting in front of me. man those guys can pull some..................... ;) mafia man style :D

i will check back with a time hopefuly

wasnt able to find out what time te turris interview will be on but im guessing it will be archived on their site later tonight, if i find it i will post it

I agree totally, AZSIOUX. There is NO WAY Phoenix lets Wheeler get away.

I agree, but I think people are making too big of a deal with the signing deadline.

If Wheeler were to go all four years at UMN, he wouldn't automatically become a free agent. The Coyotes would have until August following his graduation to sign him. There is ZERO doubt in my mind that they'd be able to do just that.

I agree totally, AZSIOUX. There is NO WAY Phoenix lets Wheeler get away.

Do you guys see him as a top six forward? If he is a top six it's a no brainer. If they don't know if he is top six material they will have to try to sign him for less than what a normal #5 pick gets. They are faced with the similar situation as the Wild were with Thelan. Except it is much tougher because Wheeler has improved a lot vs. Thelan.

Looking at their lack of salary commitments, unless they tend to commit to a bunch of free agents they can definately afford to pay Wheeler next year.

If Wheeler were to go all four years at UMN, he wouldn't automatically become a free agent. The Coyotes would have until August following his graduation to sign him. There is ZERO doubt in my mind that they'd be able to do just that.

Yep. They would still have the hammer as well because they could pay him way more than anyone else.

Do you guys see him as a top six forward? If he is a top six it's a no brainer. If they don't know if he is top six material they will have to try to sign him for less than what a normal #5 pick gets. They are faced with the similar situation as the Wild were with Thelan. Except it is much tougher because Wheeler has improved a lot vs. Thelan.

Looking at their lack of salary commitments, unless they tend to commit to a bunch of free agents they can definately afford to pay Wheeler next year.

I think so yes. I'd think Phoenix would use him in a similar capacity to what UND uses VV for currently. I know he's a natural winger, but he did alright at center. But he could be a mucker and grinder amongst scorers on the second line, sure.

As tDon said on PA & DUBAY today, He'd be more surprised if he came back than if he signed.