SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Seawolves

Siouxdonyms

In the pregame coach Hakstol said you had to play the way the game was officiated. I find it funny that the AA coach would complain about that stuff.

That is hilarious; in a game where the Sioux stood around, he'd like a closely called game. Had it been called close Friday night, UAA would have spent most of the game shorthanded.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is hilarious; in a game where the Sioux stood around, he'd like a closely called game. Had it been called close Friday night, UAA would have spent most of the game shorthanded.

i don't understand Shiayk's logic either. i haven't seen a UND oppenent this season that hooked and held the Sioux as much as UAA did this weekend.

Trupp is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. And not because he's wearing the #19. He had a few seconds of stick handling while dodging around a Seahawk about three times that made him look like a little Jonathan Toews. Didn't result in a goal but was still real pretty to watch!

The officiating did not favor the Sioux. At one point in front of Philippe, there was a Seahawk behind Trupp who put his arms around him and pulled him backward and off his feet. This happened in front of the ref. Maybe the ref's view was screened by a player but as stated this type of thing went on all weekend. There were also things our boys did that they got away with. To think that the officiating was in the Siouxs' favor is laughable.

What this weekend showed - again - is that this year's Sioux team has trouble against big, physical teams, especially on an NHL size rink.

I'm glad we're playing the Goph's at the John this weekend - this will help neutralize the Gopher's size/strength advantage.

I agree a lot here. As flat as the Sioux were on Saturday, that was not the sole reason for the lopsided play. UAA played extremely well, and they were just too much for the undersized Sioux to handle down low. It was very reminiscent of the MN series.

This group of UAA players is not far away from being a very good team. And it's not like they were big and slow either; they had guys blowing by Sioux defensemen all night long. When they kept getting around the outside, I was longing for the Greene/Jones/Smaby/Schneider group that would bury the wide-rusher into the glass.

I saw every Sioux defenseman get beat. Even Finley got beat when someone walked right through him from the corner to the crease. I only mention Finley because he has been beaten so rarely this year.

To show how badly the team got beat, even the Vandy line, the one I trust most on the ice because they're three big responsible guys, was pretty well physically dominated.

Friday I thought Duncan played a great hockey game - just made the right play all game long. Saturday was the worst game I have seen him play. It seemed like every play he tried to make failed. He'd try to saucer a pass ahead on the breakout, and the Seawolf would knock it down and keep it in the zone. He'd try to hit the trailer, and it would get picked off by a back-checker. Again I'm only picking on Duncan because when he gets the puck, the right thing almost always happens; it was just uncanny how many ways things went wrong for him last night.

This weekend was my first live viewing of the team this year, and I have to say Oshie looks better than he ever has. Whether because of injuries or something else, I thought he took a bit of a step back last year from the end of his freshman year, when I thought he was about the most dynamic thing in college hockey. Now, I cannot believe there is a better player in college hockey, and I can't imagine that it's even close. (He won't win the Hobey because he isn't being fed a steady diet of Western Michigan and LSSU.) He looks to me like he's playing better than any Sioux since Jeff Panzer's senior year, which includes some pretty outstanding seasons by some great players. And after watching the thicket of sticks he skated through all weekend long (I cannot believe Shyiak would say that), I predict that he will explode onto the professional hockey scene next year. Not just play a regular shift, but have people out of their seats and have highlights on ESPN's plays of the day/week. Having to carry only the puck and not extra players on his back will seem like childs' play to him.

Trupp made a play Friday worth mentioning. He knocked a puck out of the air in the offensive corner, hit it again in the air before it hit the ice, then hit it a third time in the air toward the point, all without the puck ever reaching the ice and all while on the move. It admittedly gave the defenseman a tough bouncing puck to handle (although he did handle it, and I didn't catch who it was), but it was quite a display of hand-eye coordination.

On the weekend, I saw Oshie's and Trupp's outstanding Friday goals, Vandevelde's patience on his Saturday goal, Watkins thankfully get rewarded for all his hard work with a goal, and the single worst period of Sioux hockey I can remember. I'd say that was a well-rounded weekend. Because of the four points, I can be cavalier about the Saturday display, but I'm sure it will give the coaches some ammunition for the upcoming practice week.

I want no part of UAA later this year. I don't think we match up very well with them.

When Vandy scored to make it 3-1, I thought: there is no justice. We had no business being in the game on the scoreboard, because we weren't in it on the ice. (But I don't want to give the two points back.)

Also, thanks to the goalie for the sweep. They should have let him do the stick salute by himself.

I find it interesting that an article comes out this weekend about the officating in this league right after we play the UAA seawolves. I know I am not the only one that thinks that something needing to be done with the current crop of morons officiating the games.

This series was horrible to watch, one word boring, yawn... It almost looked as bad as watching some of the other trap feast teams. For the UAA coach to say that is a complete joke, especially when his players got away with just as many slashes as our team. I admit our team was doing the same crap. College hockey in the WCHA is becoming a joke and I blame it on the officating. I can't believe that have to watch a player try to skate up the ice with an opposing player hanging all over him, that is not hockey. Sticking the goalie with your stick is a penalty. The reason this stuff is happening is because the refs are not calling it, Anderson needs to be fired along with Schmidt. McCloud thinks if there is parity in the league it will help everyone. How, we will just lose more top players because they are tired of getting hack, slashed, tackled and obstructed. The staus quo is this league is no longer working and to think it is utter bs. Call the __________ing penalties. I know our team will get called as well but after having 30+ penalties a few nights in a row the players will adjust.

Wait till next weekend when the Sioux plays the goofs. You can bank on this, there is going to be 4 on the ice officials, mark it down you heard it here first. I would be willing to wager one of the on ice officials will be Campion the other will be Sheppard. Also Bruce McCloud and Gregg Sheppard will be in the stands. Expect every thing the Sioux do on the ice to get called.

Edited by Goon

I saw every Sioux defenseman get beat.

I agree but one player stuck out from the rest in my opinion. Robbie Bina looked 2 steps behind the entire Seawolve team last night. Now I'm not bashing him in any way. But he needs to step it up a bit next weekend or we are gonna be in the hurt bag.

Took a buddy from Iowa to the game--less knowledgable hockey fan than me. ??? During warm ups, he was asking who to watch. Pointed out the obvious: Osh, Dunc, Chorney, VV, Finley and JPL. He thought Osh was outstanding even though "Alaska tackled him constantly". Said Phil was great as well. Said everyone else looked lost. Kind of apologized for the Sioux's play, especially in the 2nd as I told him UND has looked pretty good as of late. He loved the arena and thought it was a great college atmosphere.

I can't think of a Sioux team in recent history that has made me feel more schizophrenic. I leave each Friday's home game thinking we have the talent to go all the way and that we have finally started to put it all together only to leave Saturday's game thinking I haven't seen a Sioux team look worse (allowing rallys, taking stupid penalties, finding a way to lose). Our power play looks like the best in the nation and carries us for several games - our power play looks worse that a high school team and has trouble even getting the puck into the zone. Our defensemen look like the unit I thought they would be - our defensemen get toasted and have a stunningly high amount of poor judgement in turning the puck over in our zone. Our freshman and sophomore class looks like it is the nuculeus for great teams for years to come - our young players look much worse than our rivals. Our returning stars look like they are living up to their all-american status - our stars dissapear for games at a time (except Oshie). Our goaltending carries us - Phil lets in soft goals and allows 3rd period rallies. Our coaching staff appears to have all the chemistry working - the staff looks remarkably unconcerned and shows little emotion. We play with intensity and heart - we look like we just plain don't give a crap. I think part of the frustration expressed on this board to the dismay of some is that every time we think we are clicking, we seem to lose focus (often in the same game, usually within the same weekend). I don't know what to think about this team.

I feel that this is a coaching issue - getting the team to play consistantly up to its potential. I'm not criticizing the coaches. but just saying that it is up to them to get this team focused. Everybody knows the Blais method for dealing with these issues - I'm not sure what the Hakstol approach is (mainly due to his stoic nature). We need a lesson in focus and determination yesterday.

Everybody knows the Blais method for dealing with these issues - I'm not sure what the Hakstol approach is (mainly due to his stoic nature).

Under Blais if you play bad you sit next to the coaches on the bench or in the stands.

I dunno, I feel like UND stole one. Lowest shot total in a game for 5 seasons.

As far as Shyiak's comments, note what Shyiak said in Schlossman's piece about scoring being down.

Funny also, he'd obviously like it changed to tighter calling for Saturday night, but not otherwise. He knows very well how it's possible to keep most games close.

Funny also, he'd obviously like it changed to tighter calling for Saturday night, but not otherwise. He knows very well how it's possible to keep most games close.

If they called all of the hookings and holding and you give UND 10-12 PP's we bury that team.

If they called all of the hookings and holding and you give UND 10-12 PP's we bury that team.

The problem is there is so much hooking, slashing and interference in WCHA games, where does one start to clean it up? It is so out-of-hand at this point, to truly start calling those types of penalties would send someone to the box every couple shifts. I purposely locked in on Oshie after his quick goal for the rest of the game and could not believe the crap he had to deal with the rest of the night--pathetic!!

The problem is there is so much hooking, slashing and interference in WCHA games, where does one start to clean it up? It is so out-of-hand at this point, to truly start calling those types of penalties would send someone to the box every couple shifts. I purposely locked in on Oshie after his quick goal for the rest of the game and could not believe the crap he had to deal with the rest of the night--pathetic!!

Think how many times we have seen Oshie, Duncan, Trupp hooked, slashed and held. I don't think that is accpetable.

In the Denver Series Oshie was slashed right in front of the ref and he did nothing.

You can't change it overnight. In fact, you can't change it this season. What you do install is new administration. This administration comes in and makes two immediate changes, even before making individual personnel decisions (like hiring and firing officials):

1. Immediate and thorough implementation of NCAA rules and guidelines, including crackdowns, with the assumption that the WCHA is the reasoning behind the crackdown.

2. Install a head of officials with the understanding that the officiating is the only barrier separating the WCHA with true dynasty-like greatness.

You can't change it overnight. In fact, you can't change it this season. What you do install is new administration. This administration comes in and makes two immediate changes, even before making individual personnel decisions (like hiring and firing officials):

1. Immediate and thorough implementation of NCAA rules and guidelines, including crackdowns, with the assumption that the WCHA is the reasoning behind the crackdown.

2. Install a head of officials with the understanding that the officiating is the only barrier separating the WCHA with true dynasty-like greatness.

I'm aboard! These WCHA games have become difficult to watch--no flow, terrific talent not being able to play to potential, and I could go on.

Case in point and I believe it was the Sioux's first penalty last night. There is a huge scrum off to JPL's right along the boards and right in front of us. Hooking, grabbing and slashing everywhere. The puck finally comes free and is moving up ice when Anderson calls Malone (I believe cross checking) for a penalty that had absolutely no bearing on the play in progress. Now was it a penalty? Maybe, but the point is what about all the other crap that was directly affecting the play prior to that. That is the stuff that drives me nuts!!

Outshot 36-13 (16-3 in the second). At one point in the second I asked the guy next to me why Hakstol allowed Idalski's team to come out for the second period. That's how bad the mismatch looked. LaPoint, Bina, Genoway, and Chorney looked completely out of sorts.

And for Chorney to get "Fabian-ed" ... and when the wake-up call had just come in no less. :angry:

I'll tell you what I didn't see Saturday that I did see at home against Tech:

I didn't see snow flying off of UND skates.

Against Tech the guys were stopping and starting hard. You could hear the cuts, turns, stops, and starts. Snow flew when they skated.

Against UAA they were taking long slow turns and gliding.

I just don't get that.

Along with faceoffs and "the battles along the boards", hitting is a good indicator of whether we're in the game.

Mankato tried hitting the Sioux, which only got the Sioux to hit back. Along with that, we played some of the better hockey of the season.

Friday vs UAA, we did some hitting. Saturday we didn't.

I asked during the game if the flu bug had perhaps struck the team and being a good coach Hak didn't want to reveal it was a problem. If Miller has got it chances are that some of the others do as well. The lack of energy and effort from some players suggested that it might be the case.

That was a fun game. I had lots of fun there and the view was great. It got boring in the second period with UND forgetting that passing doesn't give you goals you do have to shoot the puck once in a while. It was a long drive back to Fargo but made it safe and sound, can't wait to go to another Sioux game. :angry:

Seems that every time there are major complaints from a team's coach, etc, concerning the calls, the following weekend a whole bunch of calls are made against that team, like, "we'll show you you are violating the rules" calls. Will be interesting to see how much UAA goes to the box next weekend, I expect it to be a bunch.

One thing I noticed was that Oshie seemed to have different body language in the 3rd period on Saturday than any other Sioux player. Almost like he was trying to pull the team along by himself. I give him a lot of credit for that.

You are dead on here! He might not be wearing the "A" anymore, but was without question he was the only on-ice leader (minus JPL) Sat night. We are almost to Feb. and the way Osh played, I think he sees his college opportunities winding down and does want a what if scenerio...