SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

How about this guy? http://mwehl.stats.p...3&seasonid=6812

Thought this was kind of interesting..Ryan Mantha is the son of Moe Mantha, former NHL defenseman and Windsor Spitfires GM.

Based on the info on Ryan Mantha being 6'4 I would say the kid I saw was smaller. I am 6'4 and he was smaller then me. So I don't believe it to be him either. But good pickup regardless.

How about this guy? http://mwehl.stats.p...3&seasonid=6812

Thought this was kind of interesting..Ryan Mantha is the son of Moe Mantha, former NHL defenseman and Windsor Spitfires GM.

He is the Nephew of coach and GM of the Michigan Warriors. But you're right he was the coach of the Windsor Spitfires back in 2005-06...

Edited by Goon

Being he is the nephew of a former coach in Major Junior, it seems strange that he would commit. Did he get fired or leave on a bad note from Windsor? Wonder if Brad Berry had a hand in this commitment. I would think that Berry either played with Moe Mantha in Winnipeg, or knew him somehow from his experiences in Winnipeg, so that may have helped having an in with the kid.

Being he is the nephew of a former coach in Major Junior, it seems strange that he would commit. Did he get fired or leave on a bad note from Windsor? Wonder if Brad Berry had a hand in this commitment. I would think that Berry either played with Moe Mantha in Winnipeg, or knew him somehow from his experiences in Winnipeg, so that may have helped having an in with the kid.

He's drafted in the OHL by the Soo Greyhounds. If you haven't heard, 3 of their players were charged with sexual assault. Doesn't scream good PR, regardless of the validity of the charges.

There could be lots of reasons why he has opted for the college route. I'll wait to hear what he has to say before I speculate further.

This kid would be a huge get!

http://m.thehockeynews.com/articles/48307-Allworld-juniors.html

In our weekly list of players we can't wait to see in the NHL one day, we profile Ian McCoshen of the Waterloo Black Hawks.

A graduate of the famed Shattuck St. Mary’s program in Minnesota, McCoshen was born in Seal Beach, Calif., before moving to the Midwest as a young child. He credits Shattuck with preparing him for life in the USHL - and with his roots, the NCAA is calling.

“I’m between three schools,” he said. “Minnesota-Duluth, North Dakota and Nebraska-Omaha.”

Q and A article with Shane Gersich on mnhockeypub.com:

Q: Colleges absolutely have to be calling you?

A: Yeah, I think so. I’m not really ready to commit anywhere. I’ll tour a few schools this fall and we’ll see from there.

Q: Do you know where you’re visiting?

A: I think to North Dakota and I’m not really sure.

Link: http://www.mnhockeyh...cle/show/173473

Gopher fans talk pretty highly of Gersich. Be quite the get if he commits to UND. Has very strong family ties with the Gophers though so I don't see it happening. I do like that UND is the only school he name drops as one of the schools that he'll be visiting. :)

Gopher fans talk pretty highly of Gersich. Be quite the get if he commits to UND. Has very strong family ties with the Gophers though so I don't see it happening. I do like that UND is the only school he name drops as one of the schools that he'll be visiting. :)

Like you said, Shane's bloodlines scream Maroon & Gold. His father Frank played as a Gopher and his uncle, Neal Broten, well, you know where he played his college puck...

But never say never, sounds like he's very much the real deal. This past summer he led the USA Hockey Select 16 camp in points. Here's a glowing review of his performance.

Would be sweet but i smell maroon and gold

Update on Ian McCoshen

Via twitter

@WeissFC I spoke with Ian McCoshen today. He said he’s not rushing the college process, but expects to commit by Christmas. Down to NoDak, UNO, UMD.

McCoshen also said that Saginaw (6th round pick in 2011) is not on his radar. Has not spoken with them since April 2011 after the draft.

I've heard UND is currently hard after a couple of Penticton Vee kids, but no specifics. Noah Henry and Ryan Gropp make sense to me with their SSM/OHA credentials. Anyone have any insight?

Gropp was taken 6th overall in the WHL Bantam draft by Seattle, but his dad played college hockey at CC, so who knows. He does list Johnny Toews as his hockey hero, so hopefully he wants to follow in his footsteps. I also see that James Patrick's nephew Nolan Patrick is quite a player and is projected to go high in the next Bantam Draft. His dream had been to be a Fighting Sioux, so hopefully he is still interested in that route.

James Patrick's nephew Nolan Patrick is quite a player and is projected to go high in the next Bantam Draft. His dream had been to be a Fighting Sioux, so hopefully he is still interested in that route.

Always hoped that Patrick had kids, does anyone know? Nephew would be nice as well.

Was he a sophomore last year? Edina's program is stacked and ice is hard to come by as a soph. They also play a top schedule. Still, those are paltry numbers...he might be a late bloomer...

Sure...I watched many Edina games this year. They do have a lot of young kids, but needless to say I never noticed this kid once and UND doesn't need to go after some kid who may turn out to be almost average. They need to put their work into Conner Hurley.

Gropp was taken 6th overall in the WHL Bantam draft by Seattle, but his dad played college hockey at CC, so who knows. He does list Johnny Toews as his hockey hero, so hopefully he wants to follow in his footsteps. I also see that James Patrick's nephew Nolan Patrick is quite a player and is projected to go high in the next Bantam Draft. His dream had been to be a Fighting Sioux, so hopefully he is still interested in that route.

I've see Patrick play...he is really talented.

Anybody know the story with Sam Mellor of Penticton? He did play for Alaska Anchorage for a while didn't he? Is he sitting out a year and going to transfer somewhere else, or is he waiting for something to open up in Major Junior as an avenue to the NHL? Sounds like he is a pretty good player.

Anybody know the story with Sam Mellor of Penticton? He did play for Alaska Anchorage for a while didn't he? Is he sitting out a year and going to transfer somewhere else, or is he waiting for something to open up in Major Junior as an avenue to the NHL? Sounds like he is a pretty good player.

It was never announced why he left UAA. A mystery. I'm guessing he'll transfer somewhere else after this year. He's too old, or pretty close to, for major junior eligibility.

Keegan Ford has committed to Wisconsin

Ford, a 16 year old defenseman from Waunakee told Bucky's 5th Quarter Sunday night that he had heard from upwards of 15 schools during the recruiting process. He eventually narrowed it down to three, touring Ohio State and North Dakota in addition to Wiscoinsin.

Ford noted that it's an honor to carry on the family legacy at the University of Wisconsin.

"It's a great honor to say I'm going to a school where my dad played, and I grew up watching him coach," Ford said.

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2012/9/9/3284106/eaves-offers-local-star-defenseman