SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

16 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Thank you for missing the point. Look at ND tax rates. They are barely above zero. Anyone whining about ND tax rates has no leg to stand on. Now if we are talking about the 15,000+ page Federal tax code, then you have something to complain about.

You tried to make your point with a false equivalency. North Dakota could have the highest tax rates in the nation and whether or not you got a $20 refund still wouldn't matter, yet you used that to try to show that ND has low tax rates. Also not sure what the length of the federal tax code has to do with those tax rates (other than making them confusing, which does not necessarily mean high), but I digress. 

As already stated, the state gets their money in multiple ways (income, property, sales). Looking at the huge spike in spending the last decade, I don't think revenues are the big problem in North Dakota. Throwing more money, through whatever tax increase, doesn't solve the underlying problems, it just further kicks the can down the road. Budget cuts are uncomfortable, but sometimes that is necessary.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The claim:

After comparing online squad sizes with the Equity in Athletics Data Analysis (EADA), Hogshead-Makar found the University’s representative student-athlete population slightly out of whack with the overall population. To whit, 43.4 percent of the athletes are women while 46 percent of the school’s students are women. 

The numbers (from the FY16 report from UND to NCAA):

Duplicated*
Men 290 52.3%
Women 264 47.7%

Unduplicated
Men 266 53%
Women 236 47% 

The last numbers for UND general student body I have:
Men 54%
Women 46% (agrees with SI article) 

Summary:
The SI article about women athletes at UND, per the UND to NCAA FY16 data, is wrong. UND has much more than "43.4 percent" women athletes**. UND has 47 or 47.7% based on the data used. 

That means UND had too many women athletes in 2016. (47% athletes > 46% student body). 

Oh, and that's FY16 ...when baseball still existed! FY17 will show even worse imbalance against the men**. 

*Duplicated just counts "team members". Unduplicated only counts an athlete once even if they participate in both say FB and track or WBB and WVB. 

**I wonder if she looked up ... NDSU. :0

***To those that said UND was "over compliant" to Title IX. WRONG. UND was not in compliance with Title IX; it was biased against the men. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The claim:

The numbers (from the FY16 report from UND to NCAA):

Duplicated
Men 290 52.3%
Women 264 47.7%

Unduplicated
Men 266 53%
Women 236 47% 

The last numbers for UND general student body I have:
Men 54%
Women 46% (agrees with SI article) 

Summary:
The SI article about women athletes at UND, per the UND to NCAA FY16 data, is wrong. UND has much more than "43.4 percent" women athletes. UND has 47 or 47.7% based on the data used. 

That means UND had too many women athletes in 2016. (47 > 46). 

Oh, and that's FY16 ...when baseball still existed!
FY17 will show even worse imbalance against the men. 

Care to take a peak 70 miles south?

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Rob Port did a FOIA for their version the UND doc I have. 

I suspect he'll have that just after I recover the Holy Grail. 

With all the Title IX talk, You would think that someone would maybe look into how NDSU is doing with their compliance!

I gave the participation number. Now, how about ... equivalencies* and dollars.

FY16

50.2% of equivalencies were to men.
50.4% of receivers of equivalencies were men.
50.5% of actual equivalency dollars went to men.

Men per SI are 54% of the athlete population at UND. 

*An equivalency is a "scholarship" or a "grant in aid". But not all grants are the same. An equivalency to say a WIH player from GF is not the same as one to a Swedish WIH player. Yes, each count as an equivalency; however, the Swedish one is far more in terms of dollars. That's why both equivs and dollars are reported. 

8 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Also, some of the women's scholarships being removed with WIH and S&D will be reallocated to other women's sports.  One can't simply take the current numbers, deduct the WIH and WS&D, and say these are the future numbers.

Exactly. I'd expect all the WIH to be reallocated to women's sports. 

Remember, UND must fund at least 7 sports in the Summit at no less than 85% of the NCAA equivalencies limit. UND has work to do there. MBB, WBB, and VB are there already. UND has to add equivalencies to soccer, softball, and others to meet that Summit requirement. 

Using the FY14, FY15, and FY16 reports UND has never been less than 53.8% males in the overall student body. 

In the same reports, UND males have never exceeded that 53.8% number in:

• equivalencies
  • athletes receiving equivalencies
  • dollars received
  • participants (duplicated)
  • participants (unduplicated) 

Using the FY16 report, let's look at what's been eliminated by participants:

Baseball 29
MSD 22
WSD 35
WIH 25

Or, 51 male and 60 female participation slots. Knowing UND had too few spots for males before, this actually brings things toward balance. 

• Upvote 1

Using the FY16 report, let's look at what's been eliminated by equivalencies: 

Baseball 5.17
MSD 4.9
WSD 14.91
WIH 20.37*

Or, 10.07 male and 35.28 female equivalencies.

However, we know UND already plans to re-assign WIH and WSD equivalencies to other women's sports. 

*Yes, that's bigger than the NCAA limit of 18; it includes "exhausted eligibility or medical equivalency". 

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

Using the FY16 report, let's look at what's been eliminated by equivalencies: 

Baseball 5.17
MSD 4.9
WSD 14.91
WIH 20.37*

Or, 10.07 male and 35.28 female equivalencies.

However, we know UND already plans to re-assign WIH and WSD equivalencies to other women's sports. 

*Yes, that's bigger than the NCAA limit of 18; it includes "exhausted eligibility or medical equivalency". 

Men's Golf doesn't have anyone still on scholarship, do they?

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Could SI be sued for putting out blatantly false information about UND? With their influence, they could cause some serious harm to the institution as a whole.

Realistically, only if you can prove they did it intentionally and even then it's not worth it. 

15 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Could SI be sued for putting out blatantly false information about UND? With their influence, they could cause some serious harm to the institution as a whole.

That article is an attempt by SI to slash UND football instead.