SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

2 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Lindenwood has Family Arena hold 9,643 for hockey, the women's Frozen Four was held there last year. The new St Louis Blues/USHL arena (Maryland Heights Ice Center) will be used by Lindenwood. Lindenwood would be in the WCHA before the NCHC.  http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/st-louis-county-agency-advances-millions-in-bonds-for-maryland/article_34879209-c198-59de-92af-371b3e72f5d4.html

Arizona has a 7,000 seat arena they use and now share with Tucson Roadrunners (AHL), The Coyotes have added the training that is needed at the Tucson Convention Center for the Roadrunners.

The is a supposable deal with UNO to not add hockey. Nebraska has a practice arena (John Breslow Ice Center) and can play games at Pinnacle Bank Arena. 

Last I've heard on Coralville Ice Arena was the State gave them $12 million to the project. I have yet to hear or find if it has been started yet.

Alabama has been vocal and that's about it, well the coach has been. The former GM of Rutgers club hockey team was let go and is making a big deal about Rutgers hockey twitter blocking him. The former Rutgers GM kept saying how Rutgers was close to added hockey then it turned out they made no progress to getting people to donate. 

On 2017. 6. 24. at 6:14 AM, cberkas said:

With the NHL doing this study are they wanting players to go from the CHL to the NCAA then to the NHL?

This really is about trying to push big schools into hockey, It's not about solely helping to grow hockey. I doubt anyone in the NHL or NHLPA would be interested in helping a Moorehead State, Minot State, or Linwood. They care about name recognition and that it. The Great thing about NCAA hockey in its current form is that it doesn't matter if you are a power five school or not, smaller schools regularly bring the pain on the bigger schools and win championships. What they want is a NCAA basketball tournament for hockey where it's all about the big schools and conferences and the smaller schools should just be grateful that they get to lose in the first round to them.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

This really is about trying to push big schools into hockey, It's not about solely helping to grow hockey. I doubt anyone in the NHL or NHLPA would be interested in helping a Moorehead State, Minot State, or Linwood. They care about name recognition and that it. The Great thing about NCAA hockey in its current form is that it doesn't matter if you are a power five school or not, smaller schools regularly bring the pain on the bigger schools and win championships. What they want is a NCAA basketball tournament for hockey where it's all about the big schools and conferences and the smaller schools should just be grateful that they get to lose in the first round to them.

I could see this whole thing as a kickstarter for the B1G to add schools. I'd just like to hear what schools are taking part in the study.

• Upvote 2

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/ncaa-eyes-expansion-with-interest-from-illinois-pitt

Now here’s where it gets interesting: From what I’ve been told, the Blackhawks aren’t the only NHL team trying to drum up interest in college hockey. High-ranking executives with the Penguins have apparently already been laying the groundwork to help the University of Pittsburgh (aka Pitt) go D1 in the future. Do they have a Pegula? The rumor is they might.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Pitt is out of left field.  What's next, Duke?

Who knows, but doubtful a basketball school such as Duke would want competition fir their Bball team.  I know Syracuse has a pretty good program, but they are at least located in a traditional hockey area of the country.  I would think the NHL would look at to grow the game in bigger markets that are closer to "hockey" country.

just my opinion...which means I'm most likely wrong and Duke will probably be the next school announced to have a study done.

26 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Who knows, but doubtful a basketball school such as Duke would want competition fir their Bball team.  I know Syracuse has a pretty good program, but they are at least located in a traditional hockey area of the country.  I would think the NHL would look at to grow the game in bigger markets that are closer to "hockey" country.

just my opinion...which means I'm most likely wrong and Duke will probably be the next school announced to have a study done.

That wouldn't be a competition...at all.....in any way, shape, or form.

• Downvote 2

On 6/29/2017 at 8:54 AM, fightingsioux4life said:

I don't know. Penn State hockey is showing signs of becoming a perennial winner, even though FB is king there.

It helps that the men's basketball program has sucked for 30 years - students are looking for something to do from November thru March.  Not-so-much at, say, Duke or North Carolina.

• Upvote 3

On 6/29/2017 at 10:45 AM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Other big name schools in the same metro areas as NHL teams with at least decent fan bases include Vanderbilt, Georgetown, USC, U Penn.  

I grew up in Nashville and went to undergrad at a school near Vandy. I don't think that is a realistic possibility, despite the recent success of Predators hockey. Youth and high school hockey in the region is spare. Plus just can't see any SEC school putting a lot of resources in a "norther sport."  Would be great for UAH, but just can't see them committed to hockey. 

Sidenote, how why and how UAH started?

2 hours ago, northernraider said:

I grew up in Nashville and went to undergrad at a school near Vandy. I don't think that is a realistic possibility, despite the recent success of Predators hockey. Youth and high school hockey in the region is spare. Plus just can't see any SEC school putting a lot of resources in a "norther sport."  Would be great for UAH, but just can't see them committed to hockey. 

Sidenote, how why and how UAH started?

I was told that UAH started hockey because of the German rocket scientists there, not sure how true it is.

• Upvote 1

Can't forsee hockey expansion at the UND, Bemidji, Mankato, Omaha level of colleges...any expansion would come from major universities and/or conferences....with more resources and alums with deep pockets....than small time institutions..( gotta be 'real'...Ralph was a one time trick pony!!!!!!)

• Downvote 1

18 hours ago, John W. said:

Can't forsee hockey expansion at the UND, Bemidji, Mankato, Omaha level of colleges...any expansion would come from major universities and/or conferences....with more resources and alums with deep pockets....than small time institutions..( gotta be 'real'...Ralph was a one time trick pony!!!!!!)

"small time institutions".......yeah, all those NCAA titles we have mean nothing. :silly:

• Upvote 1

Your title belies your thinking....you missed my point..I was talking about 'like' institutions....UND...as an institution, is not in the same class, as PItt, Duke, AZ, any BIG school, or others being mentioned....for expansion....they are more like the Bemidji's, Union's , Merceyhurst's, Mankato's......of the world....

Way to go "F S F L"..... How's that workin' out for you??????

• Downvote 3

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:43 AM, John W. said:

Your title belies your thinking....you missed my point..I was talking about 'like' institutions....UND...as an institution, is not in the same class, as PItt, Duke, AZ, any BIG school, or others being mentioned....for expansion....they are more like the Bemidji's, Union's , Merceyhurst's, Mankato's......of the world....

Way to go "F S F L"..... How's that workin' out for you??????

Yeah, when I think North Dakota and College Hockey, I think about Bemidji, Mercyhurst and Mankato in the next breath. :silly:

I know it is the off-season and your are bored, but please try to find something more productive to do than troll SS.com.

• Upvote 4

On 2017. 6. 29. at 1:34 AM, cberkas said:

I don't think they would need to go full D1 to add hockey, as currently there is no Division II hockey sponsored by the NCAA, I think that means that schools can either play up or down if they wanted to add hockey, and even if they needed an exception, it would make sense for the NCAA to grant one, as long as the number of male scholarships does not eclipse the number of women's scholarships then they should be fine.

32 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I don't think they would need to go full D1 to add hockey, as currently there is no Division II hockey sponsored by the NCAA, I think that means that schools can either play up or down if they wanted to add hockey, and even if they needed an exception, it would make sense for the NCAA to grant one, as long as the number of male scholarships does not eclipse the number of women's scholarships then they should be fine.

Who are you talking about? Pitt is a FBS school and in the ACC for all sports.

There is a rule that a D2 or D3 school can't play up a division.

44 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Who are you talking about? Pitt is a FBS school and in the ACC for all sports.

There is a rule that a D2 or D3 school can't play up a division.

FIrst, my mistake I was thinking of Pittsburg State... my mistake. But the rule you are thinking of does not allow schools to play down a level, however, they can play up if the sport is not offered at Division 2 level. If schools couldn't play up for hockey then about a third of college hockey programs wouldn't be able to play. There is also an exemption for Colorado College which plays D1 hockey but is actually a D-3 school in all other sports.

http://www.uscho.com/2015/01/09/commentary-without-an-ncaa-tournament-to-play-for-division-ii-teams-are-stuck-in-the-middle/