SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

F S F L....i was offered a teaching job at GF Central In the mid 70"s...always considered GFC the more enlightened of the 2 public HS's.....after your ascerbic and vindictives personal attacks....perhaps I was wrong!!!!   Didn't accept the job even tho a fantastic one....pay differential from MN too great with wifey and 3 kids.....

Hope you can channel your anger!!!!!!  Life is too short...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, John W. said:

F S F L....i was offered a teaching job at GF Central In the mid 70"s...always considered GFC the more enlightened of the 2 public HS's.....after your ascerbic and vindictives personal attacks....perhaps I was wrong!!!!   Didn't accept the job even tho a fantastic one....pay differential from MN too great with wifey and 3 kids.....

Hope you can channel your anger!!!!!!  Life is too short...

ROFL! And I thought I was thin-skinned! :lol:

On 7/10/2017 at 4:49 PM, cberkas said:

Penn's Class of 1932 Arena is the perfect size for the ECAC, but the arena could use some updates.

https://secure.pointstreaksites.com/files/uploaded_documents/3782/NEW_Penn_Hockey_Vision_2025.pdf

Great link, cberkas.  You have a way of finding good stuff and posting it.  However, did anyone else notice the "Challenges" page and the mention of "diversity and perception issues?"  Take a look at that section and then the picture to the right of the Philadelphia kids youth program.  Nice.  Let's not look at the youth and the potential of minority and female athletes...let's just list a "challenge" to overcome - that being the middle-aged white male fan.  

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Great link, cberkas.  You have a way of finding good stuff and posting it.  However, did anyone else notice the "Challenges" page and the mention of "diversity and perception issues?"  Take a look at that section and then the picture to the right of the Philadelphia kids youth program.  Nice.  Let's not look at the youth and the potential of minority and female athletes...let's just list a "challenge" to overcome - that being the middle-aged white male fan.  

Thanks, I came across a story on the Coyotes SB Nation page on Jalen Smereck and how he's giving back to the community.

https://www.fiveforhowling.com/2017/7/11/15950710/nhl-arizona-coyotes-tucson-roadrunners-jalen-smereck-one-shot-one-opportunity-one-moment

Alabama's head coach, John Bierchen, has left for a assistant coach job in the ECHL with the Indy Fuel. He's worked his way up the coaching ranks, started off as a volunteer assistant at UAH, and been an assistant in NCAA DIII and SPHL before Alabama. Tough blow to Alabama possibly going D1.

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Sounds like the NHL is funding a varsity study at Utah, according to this article:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865684489/

I remember reading that, thought I posted it, but I guess not. I took it as they could benefit from the study not that they are part of the study. 

I am surprised there hasn't been more on the study and who's going to be part of the study.

24 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I took it as they could benefit from the study not that they are part of the study. 

Agreed. Perhaps down the line the NHL will help fund one at Utah but the original poster's claim that it is happening now is incorrect. 

From the article:

"The program could also benefit from a feasibility study being funded by the National Hockey League and its players association to expand NCAA hockey at any university looking to do so."

11 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Agreed. Perhaps down the line the NHL will help fund one at Utah but the original poster's claim that it is happening now is incorrect. 

From the article:

"The program could also benefit from a feasibility study being funded by the National Hockey League and its players association to expand NCAA hockey at any university looking to do so."

The rumor is that they will add hockey next, coming from some Utah posters.

• 2 weeks later...

In the Atlantic Hockey thread on USCHO, a poster says a Patriot Hockey League will form, as the Patriot League currently has BU, Holy Cross, Colgate, Army, and Air Force will join for hockey only and maybe Navy will start a varsity team.  Lehigh and maybe Lafayette have money and nearby facilities to start a team.  Don't think BU would take kindly to being forced into a lesser league than HE, but it can make sense for the other schools.  But BU may have to move back to America East to avoid it.

That would really upset the apple cart for Atlantic Hockey and the ECAC, and even HE and maybe even the WCHA, as Bowling Green wants out.  Been wondering why Holy Cross hasn't been accepted into HE to backfill for Notre Dame.  Maybe this is the answer.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

In the Atlantic Hockey thread on USCHO, a poster says a Patriot Hockey League will form, as the Patriot League currently has BU, Holy Cross, Colgate, Army, and Air Force will join for hockey only and maybe Navy will start a varsity team.  Lehigh and maybe Lafayette have money and nearby facilities to start a team.  Don't think BU would take kindly to being forced into a lesser league than HE, but it can make sense for the other schools.  But BU may have to move back to America East to avoid it.

That would really upset the apple cart for Atlantic Hockey and the ECAC, and even HE and maybe even the WCHA, as Bowling Green wants out.  Been wondering why Holy Cross hasn't been accepted into HE to backfill for Notre Dame.  Maybe this is the answer.

I'll go with most likely not going to happen. NCHC couldn't get BU or BC to even think about leaving Hockey East. BU isn't leaving Hockey East for a hypothetical Patriot League hockey conference. Just way too much moving parts and hope that someone adds D1 hockey.

The poster also said the Ivies would start their own conference. The Ivies could have done that when the Hockey East split happened. 

18 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I'll go with most likely not going to happen. NCHC couldn't get BU or BC to even think about leaving Hockey East. BU isn't leaving Hockey East for a hypothetical Patriot League hockey conference. Just way too much moving parts and hope that someone adds D1 hockey.

The poster also said the Ivies would start their own conference. The Ivies could have done that when the Hockey East split happened. 

Yeah, there are a lot of moving parts.  There has been rumors about Penn restarting hockey and Pitt and Syracuse starting teams, and almost all of Atlantic Hockey has made upgrades in both facilities and scholarships.  A league change really wouldn't be any different for Air Force.  Really seems like the whole state of Pennsylvania is ready to get on the college hockey bandwagon, as they seen the success of Penn St.  Something will happen, but not sure what.

20 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Was that poster you?

• Like 1

On 8/18/2017 at 9:41 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Yeah, there are a lot of moving parts.  There has been rumors about Penn restarting hockey and Pitt and Syracuse starting teams, and almost all of Atlantic Hockey has made upgrades in both facilities and scholarships.  A league change really wouldn't be any different for Air Force.  Really seems like the whole state of Pennsylvania is ready to get on the college hockey bandwagon, as they seen the success of Penn St.  Something will happen, but not sure what.

I know why this won't happen, but it would really be better for AF to join the WCHA and then just play a non conference series against Army.

5 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

I know why this won't happen, but it would really be better for AF to join the WCHA and then just play a non conference series against Army.

You'd think so now with the formation of the B1G and NCHC. Air Force would be competitive right away and most likely win the conference every year. Maybe one day they will be in the WCHA.

2 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Air Force wants games against the other academies, so if Navy starts hockey Air Force will be with them.  AFA has lax too, but plays in the Southern Conference because the Patriot League has nine lax teams.  Air travel doesn't seem to be a problem that AFA worries about and like Arizona St, it doesn't see the WCHA worthy of having them.

2 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Air Force wants games against the other academies, so if Navy starts hockey Air Force will be with them.  AFA has lax too, but plays in the Southern Conference because the Patriot League has nine lax teams.  Air travel doesn't seem to be a problem that AFA worries about and like Arizona St, it doesn't see the WCHA worthy of having them.

Does the W stand for Worst now?

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

You must have a contact in the USAFA athletic department to know they think the WCHA is below them. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, southpaw said:

You must have a contact in the USAFA athletic department to know they think the WCHA is below them. 

Feel free to march into the AFA AD's office and demand that the hockey team move the the WCHA.  You would be without a job so you can police here more effectively.

Wasn't at all refering to the level of play but the WCHA being full of DII schools, which AFA and Ariz St want so badly wants to associate with.  :blink:

On 8/23/2017 at 5:14 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Perhaps, but Atlantic Hockey is even less worthy. I suppose they could play in the NCHC and compete with the other CO teams instead of an Ohio team but that's also unlikely to happen.