SiouxSports.com Forum

Bakken Trophy

westsidesioux

This might have already been brought up in discussions but it was something that I was thinking about this morning on my way to work in the oilfield....but why not play one of the Montana schools for the "Bakken Trophy." Could be a bronze pump jack or drilling rig. Seems fitting with both of the states having Bakken oil (eventhough we are vastly superior at pulling it out of the ground)....might be a good way to start a new tradition. Feel free to tell me I'm crazy, but it might be kind of fun. Your thoughts?

• Upvote 3

the montana schools are the rivals of the big sky, and trying to make a rival to cover up the ones we lose in ndsu south dakota and minn. just doesn't cut it. We would lose a thrill of playing them when we do not get a good show and rival. Do not try to make something out of nothing

the montana schools are the rivals of the big sky, and trying to make a rival to cover up the ones we lose in ndsu south dakota and minn. just doesn't cut it. We would lose a thrill of playing them when we do not get a good show and rival. Do not try to make something out of nothing

I disagree. I think it is a nice idea, UND will be in the same conference with them. Why not get things started?

• Upvote 1

This might have already been brought up in discussions but it was something that I was thinking about this morning on my way to work in the oilfield....but why not play one of the Montana schools for the "Bakken Trophy." Could be a bronze pump jack or drilling rig. Seems fitting with both of the states having Bakken oil (eventhough we are vastly superior at pulling it out of the ground)....might be a good way to start a new tradition. Feel free to tell me I'm crazy, but it might be kind of fun. Your thoughts?

We need to develop new rivalries. Obviously none will compare to NDSU, but it doesn't mean we can start new ones. The fact that we play Montana St. every year makes them the logical choice. Bakken Trophy...put me down as LIKE for this idea!! Big gold trophy of an oil rig....sounds good. Hopefully some of our new Bif Sky opponents (especially the Montana schools) will embrace these new rivalries that we will have.

I think its a good idea. The papers in Dickinson, Minot and sometimes Bismarck already cover the Big Sky conference as much or more than they cover other conferences so fans west of the Missouri are very familiar with these teams. A traveling trophy tied to both states would be great idea with a team we are playing on a yearly basis.

I also think its a good idea. We need to establish a new rivalry with the Montana's. This idea of a trophy would be just a start. UND has played more games against Montana State than Montana so I think a Bakken Trophy with MSU instead of UM would be more ideal.

• Upvote 1

I also think its a good idea. We need to establish a new rivalry with the Montana's. This idea of a trophy would be just a start. UND has played more games against Montana State than Montana so I think a Bakken Trophy with MSU instead of UM would be more ideal.

I agree darell, MSU needs a rival and since they dont have one in state (closet thing would be Carroll College), so if they have to go out of state to get one I am all for it.

• Upvote 1

I agree darell, MSU needs a rival and since they dont have one in state (closet thing would be Carroll College), so if they have to go out of state to get one I am all for it.

I agree. Out of curiosity would you consider EWU as your primary rival other than MSU?

Montana State has no in state rival? Is that supposed to be sarcastic??!!

No its the truth, the only division 1 team in America that beats their in state rival more is OU beating Oklahoma St.

We need a challenge and I am sure in a few years you guys may be up to it.

No its the truth, the only division 1 team in America that beats their in state rival more is OU beating Oklahoma St.

You have a little ndsu arrogance to you....

But my gawd is your avatar awesome.

Interesting....for comparison

Oklahoma State has beat Oklahoma 16% of the time.

Montana State has beat Montana 32% of the time.

NDSU has beat UND 41% of the time.

I think this idea is terrific and has lots of merit, something to seriously consider at any rate.