SiouxSports.com Forum

14 y/o Sioux Fan diagnosed with leukemia

Bob in Wisconsin

It's exciting to see everyone is into the FTA gift idea. :silly:

Bob thanks for volunteering to take this. Sorry I threw it out there and didn't follow up with a response until now. Had to go out of town.

I will help anyway you wan't . I live in Denver but coincidentally I arived in Osseo tonight and will be here until Sunday morning visiting family.

Don't know if there is anything I can do to help in this short of timeframe but am willing.

I could check out the FTA fella here. I actually spoke to him a while back about FTA stuff. He is Scottish fella from Glascow-nice guy. We should start a list of all who are in on donating for this. Maybe they could email you or something so you have their email addresses for follow up. Just a thought anyway.. let us know.

Hi Bob --

This is Linda, Nick's mother. I'll keep my message short, my husband is the writer.

I just wanted to thank you and all of the Sioux fans for the support. I am so deeply touched by the outpouring for Nick, I am at a loss for words. Nick, Chuck, our other son, Steve and I love to read the posts on his CaringBride site. These posts have kept Nick's spirits high, along with ours. Knowing how many people are thinking about and praying for Nick makes a huge difference. We know that Nick isn't fighting this battle alone. And with a team the size he has now, he can't lose.

I don't know how to post to the Siouxsports.com forum. So, next time you're out there, could you post a thank you to the fans from us - thanking them for their support and prayers.

Thank you!

Linda Cherekos

I just visited his site. Very nice, and it was great to see all of the messages from the hockey world, and from this board. :silly: Keep fighting, Nick!

The web site and messages gave Taz Boy sweaty eyes, but I'll never admit to that publicly. :)

taz

I'd chip in. Paypal and personal checks would be the way to do it. Just have to find someone near the cities with a Paypal account, and people could send money via that method. For those who aren't comfortable with internet or Paypal, they could send checks/money orders to the individual. Great idea Bob!!!

I'm going to see if we can get this story passed along to the UND athletic department, and specifically Coach Hakstol. It would be cool of the hockey team could do something for this little boy, next weekend is short notice but wouldn't it be great if some of the players could meet with him by phone or in person? At a minimum, I bet the team could give him an autographed stick and/or jersey.

I'm going to see if we can get this story passed along to the UND athletic department, and specifically Coach Hakstol. It would be cool of the hockey team could do something for this little boy, next weekend is short notice but wouldn't it be great if some of the players could meet with him by phone or in person? At a minimum, I bet the team could give him an autographed stick and/or jersey.

I did see Chay Genoway wrote him a note on his guestbook on behalf of the team.

I did see Chay Genoway wrote him a note on his guestbook on behalf of the team.

I just called and left the athletic department office a voicemail, asking them to call me back on Monday.

I remember when I was 13, I had open heart surgery down at the Mayo Clinic. I also recall how thrilled I was to receive an autographed stick from the team as well as the opportunity to go down to the team's locker room before a game and meet the players. I think Nicholas would appreciate the chance to meet the guys.

Peter Bain of PSB Satellite in Minneapolis is donating a satellite system to the Cherekos family. He will be installing it tomorrow morning, just in time for Saturday night's game. Pete is a huge Sioux fan, and has a heart as big as North Dakota. Thanks so much Pete! Here's his email:

Bob,

What a wonderful gesture from the Sioux fans. I have installed MANY systems here in the metro area for Sioux fans and have become friends to all of them. I never miss a game and I feel as if I am part of the family.

I come from Glasgow Scotland where Soccer is the main sport. I support Glasgow Celtic, the fans there wear the same Green wigs so I feel right at home as a Sioux fan.

Once a system is installed there is NO COST. The signals are Free to Air.

Because the Sioux fans have treated me so well and in the memory of my dear mother who I lost to cancer I am willing to donate a satellite system to this fan.

I am also available by phone for anything needed with the install.............

I will also say a prayer for this fan.

GO SIOUX!

Peter S. Bain

www.psbsatellite.com

It's the LEAST I can do for the Sioux fans who have taken a wee guy from the east end of Glasgow under their wing. And for Nick himself. I know watching the Sioux will lift his spirts high as it does for me.

The Sioux family are like a rock at times like these, I am proud to call myself a fan.

GO SIOUX!

I just called and left the athletic department office a voicemail, asking them to call me back on Monday.

I remember when I was 13, I had open heart surgery down at the Mayo Clinic. I also recall how thrilled I was to receive an autographed stick from the team as well as the opportunity to go down to the team's locker room before a game and meet the players. I think Nicholas would appreciate the chance to meet the guys.

I would imagine you are right. Great idea.

It's the LEAST I can do for the Sioux fans who have taken a wee guy from the east end of Glasgow under their wing. And for Nick himself. I know watching the Sioux will lift his spirts high as it does for me.

The Sioux family are like a rock at times like these, I am proud to call myself a fan.

GO SIOUX!

You are incredible. Thank you from this Sioux fan.

GO SIOUX!

That is outstanding - thank you on behalf of all Sioux fans!

GO SIOUX!

Next time I get back to "The Cities", I owe you a drink or two. :silly:

GO SIOUX!

Still hats off to you Psb! That was very generous and much appreciated...and I thought the best thing to come out of Scotland was hagis :silly::) I'll have to revise that! :D

Awesome, PSB. Simply awesome.

Sioux fans stepped up and showed our true colors, especially Bob in Sconny and PSB. Even though PSB is going to take care of this, maybe we can all keep our pledges of monetary support in play by donating to a cancer-related charity what we were otherwise willing to chip in so young Mr. Cherekos could watch Sioux hockey. This way, we would be honoring Nick's battle, PSB's mother, and everyone else affected by cancer. There are a number of great charities:

St. Jude Children's Research: http://www.stjude.org/

American Cancer Society: http://www.cancer.org/

Lukemia & Lymphoma Society: http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/hm_lls

I'll even start with a donation to St. Judes.

Thank you for helping the children of St. Jude

Dale Veer,

We gratefully acknowledge your support of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. On behalf of St. Jude, and especially on behalf of the children and their families, thank you for generosity.

If you have any questions, please call us 1-800-805-5856 or email us at donors@stjude.org.

Your donation information is as follows:

Confirmation Number: 380761 Date: 2008-01-25 22:43:53.317 Payment Method: Credit Card -

Gift Amount: $ 50.00 Gift Type: One Time

It's not much, but $50 here...$10 there...if enough people chip in Sioux fans will have put up a nice overall donation.

Stay strong, Nick!

WOW!! Thanks Bob and PSB for taking this and following through. This is yet another example of how close knit the Fighting Sioux Community is, and it really makes me proud to be a part of it. No other university compares, and that is one reason why we are envied by the rest.

Most of our lives have been affected by cancer in one way or another, and we all know how important it is to have a positive attitude and spirit when dealing with it. And the support of friends and family, near and far, is paramount in beating this terrible disease. I'm sure that Nick's spirits, as well as his family's, will be lifted by this.

I am sure that the University will be able to get some autographed items for Nick, but maybe we could put the donations towards a weekend in GF for a series if he is feeling up to it...(maybe drop the first puck at a game?!)... And if his dish will be installed tomorrow, if anyone can get in touch with Pat Sweeney, maybe he could give him a shout during the broadcast as well.... Little things like this could make a big difference in Nick's life.... and the Fighting Sioux Family gains a few more family members as well....

Again, Awesome job guys!!

Nick, Fight the Good Fight!

Go Sioux!

Awesome, PSB. Simply awesome.

Sioux fans stepped up and showed our true colors, especially Bob in Sconny and PSB. Even though PSB is going to take care of this, maybe we can all keep our pledges of monetary support in play by donating to a cancer-related charity what we were otherwise willing to chip in so young Mr. Cherekos could watch Sioux hockey. This way, we would be honoring Nick's battle, PSB's mother, and everyone else affected by cancer. There are a number of great charities:

St. Jude Children's Research: http://www.stjude.org/

American Cancer Society: http://www.cancer.org/

Lukemia & Lymphoma Society: http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/hm_lls

Thank you, PSB!

diggin42, my wife and I really like those charities. Tonight, I donated to CaringBridge. You can easily do this from Nick's site. I wish the NCAA could understand what it means to be a Fighting Sioux. Sweaty eyes, again.

taz