SiouxSports.com Forum

Student Seating

flatspin7

great conversation until you came along farce poobah, what a stupid comment.

No Mariucci is not as plush, that is obvious, no arena is, especially one built with public monies. However the atmosphere there will never be matched by REA. The band marching around the concourse pregame, students actually know the fight song, and participating in cheers, a band that plays all game long... that is college athletics. The weekend of the regional was unbelievable in that place, far from cold.

Don't get me wrong, the new Ralph is great...we are still undefeated in the palace. Thank you Ralph. Teams don't dread the trip to GF like they used to, the old place was tough on opposing teams.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong, the new Ralph is great...we are still undefeated in the palace. Thank you Ralph. Teams don't dread the trip to GF like they used to, the old place was tough on opposing teams.

It was on the right track--fan wise, but I think REA and the athletic dept took a bid step backwards with this latest move. Moving into a newer bigger building means a lot of fans that have never been to Sioux games are there now. It takes time to build atmosphere.... it will get there as long as they still allow students in the building in 2 years :)

profits from REA end up going back into UND Athletics. (Remember the $500,000.00 to fund the womens hockey team this season?

The bottom line is REA is going to do whatever they want to make more money and UND isn't going to do a thing about it because they are after the $. They are not there to please the students. This is no longer the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux it is the Grand Forks Fighting Sioux. But remember there would be no hockey team if there were no students.

The ND Legislature, as a condition to allow the publicly owned land to be built on and to allow such a building to be built there, passed a law that required REA to show an operating profit before it could be turned over to UND or a UND foundation.

Don't blame REA. Blame your state legislator for passing the law. REA just has to live within it, thus, it has to make sure it shows a profit.

REA didn't ask for the crap-burger to be put in front of them.

They just have to eat it.

Here's what REA is doing with profits from operations, those rotten people. :)

http://www.ralphengelstadarena.com/ralphsgift.html

Welcome to economic reality of collegiate athletics: No money, no hockey team.

PS - REA's Board of Directors includes Tom Clifford (President Emeritus of UND) and Earl Strinden (Executive VP Emeritus, UND Alumni Association and Foundation). If you believe either of those two would do anything to harm any aspect of UND (from campus, to students, to alumni, to finances) you need to re-examine your understanding of the situation.

The bottom line is REA is going to do whatever they want to make more money and UND isn't going to do a thing about it because they are after the $. They are not there to please the students. This is no longer the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux it is the Grand Forks Fighting Sioux. But remember there would be no hockey team if there were no students.

The Grand Forks Sioux? I didn't know the mayor was the force behind the seating changes. :)

Having read all of the posts . . . there are some good ones . . . I'd like to add my opinion.

Way back when the students and the athletic department had their "negotiations" about the seating both came to the understanding that the students would sit down and only stand up on Sioux power(less :) ) plays. That worked for all of about 10 minutes as the students in section 109 began standing the whole game. A lot of blame is being put on REA and the athletic department . . . but some of the blame has to be put on those students that wanted to buck the system and stand the whole game. It had to be a forgone conclusion that if even some of the students didn't want to sit down . . . the whole student section would be moved. Blame the REA and UND all you want . . . but the fact is that the students didn't live up to their end of the deal and stand only during power(less ;) ) plays. I caught some flak on this board and on USCHO saying that the students should have policed themselves . . . told those students what could happen if they don't sit down . . . now the students as a whole are paying for it.

I have seats in section 110 . . . and you have no idea how happy I am going to be not having to watch the DAK-TRONICS for half of the game.

Again . . . just my biased opinion . . . sorry.

Neither held up to their end of the deal. The students agreed to clean up the language and only stand during "exciting" moments in the game and power plays. As a result the Grand Forks community (or those represented said they would cheer with us to try and bring back the Englestad atmosphere. The standing didn't start until this year in 109. I'm not blaming anyone here. My main gripe is the corner that we are sitting in and the loss of seats, not that we have been moved. But I do agree that there were some students that just disregarded others and stood the whole game.

Having read all of the posts . . . there are some good ones . . . I'd like to add my opinion.

Way back when the students and the athletic department had their "negotiations" about the seating both came to the understanding that the students would sit down and only stand up on Sioux power(less :) ) plays. That worked for all of about 10 minutes as the students in section 109 began standing the whole game. A lot of blame is being put on REA and the athletic department . . . but some of the blame has to be put on those students that wanted to buck the system and stand the whole game. It had to be a forgone conclusion that if even some of the students didn't want to sit down . . . the whole student section would be moved. Blame the REA and UND all you want . . . but the fact is that the students didn't live up to their end of the deal and stand only during power(less ;) ) plays. I caught some flak on this board and on USCHO saying that the students should have policed themselves . . . told those students what could happen if they don't sit down . . . now the students as a whole are paying for it.

I have seats in section 110 . . . and you have no idea how happy I am going to be not having to watch the DAK-TRONICS for half of the game.

Again . . . just my biased opinion . . . sorry.

People have to realize that new students come in every year. There was absolutely NO enforcement or reminder of the "negotiations" that took place last year.

That is precisely what I am saying U2Bad1 . . . the upper-classmen could have gone over and told the newer students about it. There could have even been something in the Dakota Student . . . something at least.

Let me put it this way . . . an older person going up to a college student and telling him to do something will go in one side and out the other . . . but having a member of the Green Hairem (or some other students) speak to them it may have sunk in.

No Mariucci is not as plush, that is obvious, no arena is, especially one built with public monies. However the atmosphere there will never be matched by REA. The band marching around the concourse pregame, students actually know the fight song, and participating in cheers, a band that plays all game long... that is college athletics. The weekend of the regional was unbelievable in that place, far from cold.

I may be stupid, but ndgopher you are clearly blind and deaf.

For EVERY game at Mariucci, the Good Seats sit half-empty - can you not SEE the "M"? And at the West Regional, both "M"'s were clearly visible during every game. Meanwhile up in the back row, and off in the corners, sit a handful of faithful fans, the people who make some noise, (the band, a couple hundred students, credit them for knowing the words to the rouser and how to spell what state they are from) which can be faintly heard at times. Otherwise, the noisiest thing going on is the thump of a body check (not followed by a crowd roar), except for the 15 seconds following a Gopher goal; then its safe to go back to sleep.

But the topic here is REA ... and I am frustrated and angry that the UND athletic department doesn't realize that they are turning REA into the kind of quiet, dull, neutral ice building that Mariucci is. And giving away what has been a historic strength in Grand Forks - "home ice advantage".

Damn.

But the topic here is REA ... and I am frustrated and angry that the UND athletic department doesn't realize that they are turning REA into the kind of quiet, dull, neutral ice building that Mariucci is. And giving away what has been a historic strength in Grand Forks - "home ice advantage".

What strikes me as funny is that when the building was being built, all the talk was how it would preserve the atmosphere and the third period heroics wouldn't miss a beat. Gopher fans warned you all not to expect it, as we have been going to games for around 10 years now in Mariucci.

Here is another thing you will have to get used to. Your ticket prices will increase a buck or two bucks a ticket most years. Not sure what you are paying now, but Gophers tickets are $27 a seat. I'm sure UND will feel they can charge as much as the lowly Gophers.

Times are changing, the hockey is still intense, it just costs alot more. The atmosphere will be fine when the Sioux has a great team, on other years, you still have the best arena!

I very much agree with the comment on how much quieter and duller the arena is than the old one. There just isn't the same atmosphere. It's not as loud and no where near as much fun to cheer. The playoff series against Denver was the closest the REA has come to being as loud as the old arena.

As to the moving of the student section to the corner I am all for it. As a student myself I never really enjoyed center ice as much as I enjoy sitting with my parents in their corner section. I can see the whole ice the entire game which makes it more worthwhile IMO.

No Mariucci is not as plush, that is obvious, no arena is, especially one built with public monies.  However the atmosphere there will never be matched by REA.  The band marching around the concourse pregame, students actually know the fight song, and participating in cheers, a band that plays all game long... that is college athletics.  The weekend of the regional was unbelievable in that place, far from cold.

Don't get me wrong, the new Ralph is great...we are still undefeated in the palace.  Thank you Ralph.  Teams don't dread the trip to GF like they used to, the old place was tough on opposing teams.

Someone has to say it, and of course it must be Taz Boy.

ndgoofer, your post shows quite clearly you are an expert on stupidity. A member of the band, are we? The Mariucci was a morgue during the previous lean years-- it was possibly the least interesting place to watch a hockey game until the middle of last season when the Collective realized they had a diamond in the making. The regional this year was a laugher. Sure, when you pump in 16 goals in two games you're going to get some home crowd cheering. In fact, many were giggling and squealing like little sorority girls at their first rush party. Weeeeeee!! It's fun to win!!! I'm like soooo drunk!!!

Championship teams create atmosphere on their home ice. Expectations are raised as each game is more likely to be a "W". Let the Gophs drop back to around .500 for a couple of years and then help yourself to that wonderful 'ucci "atmosphere" you're talking about.

The REA is indeed comercialized, but there is also something special about that place. The Denver series unleashed some of the loudest crowd noise I've yet heard at a college hockey game. Sure, tight games will do that, but this was beyond typical overtime excitement. I recommend, ndgoofer, you join your beloved team for the series up in GF next year. The Sioux faithful are already salivating.

I'm also tired of the "old REA nostalgia" presented usually by those too young to remember when that place sucked as well. Don't get me wrong, I love that old building. Spent much time in there. But, there were plenty of snore-fest games with plenty of empty seats during the early 90's slide. Of course that place rocked in 97-01. Gee, I wonder why?? Perhaps Karl Goehring knows the answer.

As for the students, in time you'll settle right in to your new home. I'd personally rather have you near the penalty box and across from the opposing team's bench. But, I think this corner can work as well. A few suite owners will need to get used to the "excitement", but I'm sure they'll adjust. Realize you're getting a great deal on excellent seats in a wonderful arena. Keep cheering and good things will happen.

taz

I almost totally agree to Taz! It's easy to judge a building when a team is WINNING! We still haven't totally seen what that can be like when the Sioux are really good once again, and we get some of the "Rivals" to come in. As we all know, the Gopher's weren't in town this past year......who knows....

I think there is potential for that place to get loud again! It is a different building, but I agree....also could be very special! Remember the CC come from behind tie? The place was wild! Denver series wasn't bad either......I think it will take a little time, but put some wins together, and the place will come around. Not that it should make that big a difference, but it should help!

now...as far as the student section.....I'm ALWAYS for the student section....heck, it makes the atmosphere! The only problem, is the "good old students" who do the cheers, etc, are dwindling....IMO. (not as many of them going to games) It's also more difficult to get 11,500 fans going than it was 6,000. A lot of this is due to the "entertainment" atmosphere! I would say the move had a "little" to do with $$$, but I actually like the corner seats myself!!

Maybe next year there can be a push to get the fans more into the game instead of sitting on their "duffs" and bellering, "sit-down", I paid for my seat...blah blah blah....and get up and CHEER!

Just doing a little venting......the Old Engelstad is history, great building, great atmosphere.....but it's like an old light bulb....get over it and make the new REA a rockin atmosphere!!!

Taz,

oh i will be in GF next november, wouldn't miss it, already have my tickets. we can disagree all day, the atmosphere in REA is not college, you can bash Mariucci all you want but i would rather watch a game there than REA. of course i'm biased, i'm a u of m graduate thats in me so cool off.

the most noise in REA, including the Denver series was when they blasted "welcome to the jungle" every chance they got, what a special place. Where were all the Sioux faithful on sunday night of that series talk about empty seats.

man, that gopher hate runs deep

This article seems to imply that the seating issue is not settled yet.

Change to Student Seating

"We've had the students in the center of the arena for the past two seasons; it's a perfect place for students to create energy for the rest of the arena," said UND student Greg Enkers. "(The plan) is really going to take away from that."

Enkers, a sophomore from Moorhead, became so angry when he learned about the plan that he immediately formed a student group called S.A.S.S. (Students Against Switching Seats).

Enkers implies that the students like the center ice but most of the students who post here seem to like the corner seats. I hope for the students sake that Enkers doesn't adopt a scorched earth plan of attack - he will surely lose.

My guess is because of the problems with standing, the center ice seats are gone. Seats in the south end of the lower bowl are not in the picture, because of who has them now. Take Section 111 and lobby hard for most, if not all, of section 112 as well. Show the AD you have a plan for cleaning up some of the language and getting the rest of the crowd involved. Take some responsibility instead of just claiming entitlement.

ndgopher - the atmosphere in the new Mariucci is stale. We can disagree as to which arena, REA or Mariucci, is more stale but don't pretend that a game at Mariucci is the ultimate experience in collegiate sports - that's laughable. Williams Arena is a much better atmosphere, even if its bouncy ball. Of course, I might be biased - I'm a U of M graduate as well. And how can you have your tickets to the gopher series already - they're not even printed. You might want to cancel that check.

Yeah... I was wondering how he got tickets before me! ;)

Tim & Swyg this morning were on the issue for a little while, and took some calls. In a nutshell, there was talk about the people who chose their seats in the northwest corner because they didn't want to be by the students. (little kids, language, etc.) Now with the move, they'll be forced to sit by them, bringing another group that's unhappy about the situation. Anyway you slice it, somebody's going to be pissed.

What will happen, though?

Will the students not show up for the games? Yeah right! :)

Will the season ticket holders not renew? Whatever, there's a waiting list! :)

Everyone's just going to have to crap their pants and sit in it.

On a lighter note, I've had two calls from people who sit near me at the games, asking if I saw the article in the paper this morning. They're giddy as schoolgirls! :)

To be honest when they opened the arena and It became apperent that the students would be 30% lower bowl and 70% upper bowl (about) I thought the best way to do it was to give the students a corner wedge of the arena. Meaning 110-111 or 106-107. It is obvious that those 2 sections have wayyyyy to many seats for REA to surrender to the students. But if REA wants to keep the number of lower bowl students the same the best way to do it is 105-106. 105 has the big cut out for the zamboni door, and 106 has a handicapped section. Those sections would offer the same amount of seats and the students would not obstuct the view of other "paying" patrons at the arena.

C'mon REA/ RT if you want to move the students do it fairly.

SEATING2002-3.jpg

Take Section 111 and lobby hard for most, if not all, of section 112 as well.

Umm, 'cuse me, but don't be so quick to give my seats to anyone.

Hate to be "nimby" here, but you can take my Section 112 seats when you can pry my dead, cold hands off the armrests.

As to atmosphere at the REA: anyone remember the atmosphere at the quonset? Moving to the "old" Ralph was like going into a hospital compared to the chicken wire, etc. over next to the tracks.

When the Sioux can consistently put on a good, quality show AND the idiots at REA learn how to run their sound system, the crowd will be into the action. Did you ever notice they try to "fire up" the crowd with their noise meters, etc. ONLY during TV timeouts? They get the folks up off their seats and yelling, only to wait...wait...wait...and wait some more for the little red light on the scorer's table to go off. The REA staff has to work a little harder at understanding the ebb and flow of a game.

mikejm, I'm not giving anything away. I don't have that power. But if the students want more tickets in the lower bowl, they have to come from another section, preferrably next to the one they're in. I was just making a negotiating suggestion.

I really like flatspin7's idea but I firmly believe that the people in section 106 (or 103) are going to be the toughest people, collectively, to move. As airmail said, it would be donation suicide. Therefore, I don't think its realistic to ask for it. There's no doubt that the students should have been put in a corner to begin with and the athletic department probably realizes that now.

Lastly, the people that run REA have had their problems but all in all, I think they are doing a fine job at managing what is essentially an NHL or NBA type arena. It's unfair and inaccurate to characterize them as money hungry or idiots.

Most of the people that I know want to be on the sides, not the ends. People do have different preferences though. When they first picked the student seats, they were in sections 107-110, 308-309. Had they kept those sections, there probably wouldn't be a problem with seeing. From what I had been told, the suite holders can see if the top few rows are empty. If we have to be on the end, give us 103-106, 303, and 306. The fans in Wisconsin are on the end and have a great time. It is unlikely any of this will happen because they have lied to the students about almost everything. Students were supposed to be allowed to sit in their seats any time on game day and not be forced to wait outside. There was also going to be a suite given away in a drawing to a student for each game. They also talked about getting good college concerts (e.g., DMB). It was all lies!!!!!!! :)