SiouxSports.com Forum

Student Seating

flatspin7

I have always wondered why arenas put up black netting behind the net. White nets would blend in much better. I would much rather have to look through a net than have to look over the net. ;)

If that isn't the most random thought I've ever heard. Where did you think this up, becuase I know you drive a Subaru, not a Nissan so you have think about it (driving).

Just About Remember

Every Arena in the

World Has Black netting (If they have Nets)

I Think it's So it Blends into the Crowd

....That's all I have to say about that!!! :huh:

They're not out to satisfy you ;):D

Just kidding, bud...you know I had to do it.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sit in 112 about ten rows up from the ice and they are great seats. But, knowing full well that REA, like all other arenas, will be putting nets up on each end of the rink (rumored to be taking place before the 04-05 season in GF), I am happy to swap seats. I, for one, thought looking through the netting at the X was a miserable experience until I moved to a much higher row.

If the students don't care to look through netting, they should push for center ice sections, even if they are in the upper bowl.

Putting all student sections in the upper bowl would effectively eliminate the chances of REA ever being feared again.

First, black nets are better for television. White nets are better for fans in the arena. Television "sees" a dark crowd so the black works better. However, fans in the arena are looking at white ice so white is better for them. Note that all the NHL nets are .... black.

I'll say it again: Both sides should lobby for "one last chance" for the students to keep their center ice, lower bowl seats because neither side held true to the original agreement.

Putting all student sections in the upper bowl would effectively eliminate the chances of REA ever being feared again.

I don't think all the student sections should be in the upper bowl. It is important to have students near the ice. However, if students are complaining about being moved to a corner section, I cannot even fathom how much they will complain if they get moved to an end section AND have to watch the game through black netting.

Both sides should lobby for "one last chance" for the students to keep their center ice, lower bowl seats because neither side held true to the original agreement.

In theory, it sounds like a good idea. "One last chance", however, happened last year; and as I've already posted, Section 108 did a great job abiding by it. Section 109 did not. If the fans in 108 knew the implications of their actions, how is it that 109 had absolutely no idea? They knew, didn't give a damn, and are now being relocated. (along with the curteous students in 108)

The fact remains that there are suite holders that have been pissed off for two years, and the decision has been made. Let me repeat that... The decision has been made. It hasn't come as an overnight surprise, either. The people that sign the suite contract for $25000 per year (plus minimums) are the ones holding the power here, and they are the leading members of the "Greater Grand Forks Good-'ol-boys Club." Leave no doubt about it...they have REA's ear, and what they want, they will get. In fact, I'm surprised it has taken this long. Any attempts at "lobbying" or creating opponent groups like "S.A.S.S." are being done in vain, and in my opinion are falling on deaf ears.

Certainly Mr. Thomas will hear the arguments, as it's his job. I'd be very surprised, though, if any changes are ammended to what we read in the Herald last week.

As sad as it is, this is just another texbook example of the golden rule...

THE ONES WITH THE GOLD MAKE THE RULES

REA is coddling to the wishes of the suite holders by putting the students in another section, in front of different suite holders?

Maybe the standing in the two center ice sections affects the view of more suites than standing in a corner section. Nevertheless, they'll be pissing off Peter to placate Paul.

I thought that the problem with the suites was solved when they roped off the top two rows.

One last chance is BS. Its a stacked deck. No matter what the students do they will move is if they want to. The Standing up excuse is just that... an excuse. There are other motives ($) here not just other peolples ability to see the game.

Stop the BS its obvious there are big financial gains to be made by moving ticket holders to center ice. They might as well say it, in my eyes Roger Thomas has already put a ding in his integrity, he handed as small group of students (The green hair'um and some others including myself) to impossible task of controlling the student section from with-in. It really was only about 50 or so students sitting in the far side of section of 109 that would stand for most of the game. Other wise students as a whole tend to stand for powerplays and other critical moments that everybody esle should probably stand too. Its depressing when the building get really loud during a commercial break and when the red light goes off everybody sits down and shuts up... pitiful, but I digress.

If REA wanted to control those students they could have played the "bad cop" and started to boot some people out, but its really not fair to expect 10 or so students to control the student section. Be realistic.

REA is coddling to the wishes of the suite holders by putting the students in another section, in front of different suite holders?

Maybe the standing in the two center ice sections affects the view of more suites than standing in a corner section. Nevertheless, they'll be pissing off Peter to placate Paul.

I thought that the problem with the suites was solved when they roped off the top two rows.

Great point and something that has left me scratching my head since moving the students became an issue.

On another note, the moving students issue may be "resolved" for the upcoming season, but it is far from over. As I have said before I sit in section 112. The individual who sits in the first row of that section is a dentist from the western part of the state. Anyway, he gives a huge donation to the FSC on a yearly basis. As such, when seats were being selected he had top priority and could've had just about ANY seat in the house and he picked six or eight seats in 112 so his kids and their friends could watch the Sioux during warmups and view the game upclose.

If the students do get seats in 112, how do you think that individual will react? And, if he is not satisfied being moved, what will the "brass" do to appease him in light of his considerable donation every year? My guess, they will likely reseat everyone within the next couple of years (it was contemplated for this upcoming year).

Regardless, this issue will continue to be debated years and years down the road because there is simply NO way to make everyone happy.

Being in the corner is better anyway (allthough being in the upper bowl would kind of suck).

As a student I'd take the corner/end over centerice anyday. That tuanting factor is more in play when the opposing goalie can actually hear you 2 of 3 periods.

section 111 is on the side that we only shoot at once. So he'll only hear us one period.

It's possible that the students will be in front of the rental suites. I could see REA re-assigning all 4 rentals to the northwest corner. Everyone wants to be on the south end anyway! No north-end suite holders will argue about moving south... they just might sign on for a few more years... ;)

It's possible that the students will be in front of the rental suites. I could see REA re-assigning all 4 rentals to the northwest corner. Everyone wants to be on the south end anyway! No north-end suite holders will argue about moving south... they just might sign on for a few more years... ;)

I think either way the top three rows will be blocked off like in the lower bowl student sections the past couple years.

All this seating talk has me even more intrigued then I already was. Who wants to step up and help the enemy secure some tickets next year? I'd really like to come see the Gophers play at REA. I've made other road trips, but haven't been able to get tickets to Grand Forks (a testament to the fans).

Heck, it looks like it may be a surprise to see where the students are sitting.

• 2 weeks later...
Not to beat a dead horse, but did anyone read Ryan Bakken's column in Sunday's Grand Forks Herald? He takes UND students to the wood shed on the REA seating issue.

Bakken has a point in this article, but it has a few inaccuracies...first of all, I never got burned playing with fire :ohmy: , secondly, The Compromise was agreed to after the CC seris last year, not the end of the season. And he makes it sound like the entire student section was standing when it was not even one section (the vast majority, but the first few rows behind the sioux penalty box sat). A lot of students (at least that I know of) don't mind the change to the corner, just the it's the wrong one and we lose seats. Soon, the students will be forced to only upper bowl seats(and Gopher fans correct me if I am wrong) like the student section at Mariucci. The only defference is that the Gophers have better community fan support.

Not to beat a dead horse, but did anyone read Ryan Bakken's column in Sunday's Grand Forks Herald? He takes UND students to the wood shed on the REA seating issue.

MinnesotaNorthStar is right, less than a section insisted on standing. Most of the students complied with the standing thing incluyding me. The fact is the REA did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to make the students who were standing to sit down this past year.

share with them your opinions on their ancestry, sexual preference and siphoning skills.

:):)

For a guy who lives in a town with gravel streets, he sure is witty... :ohmy:

You're right though... it's the actions of a select few who pissed it away. Not the student section as a whole; and you're also correct about..."The fact is the REA did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to make the students who were standing to sit down this past year. "

You got hosed, Tommy. You got hosed. ???

:):)

For a guy who lives in a town with gravel streets, he sure is witty... :ohmy:

You're right though... it's the actions of a select few who pissed it away. Not the student section as a whole; and you're also correct about..."The fact is the REA did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to make the students who were standing to sit down this past year. "

You got hosed, Tommy. You got hosed. ???

It's almost like they wanted this problem to continue (no enforcement), so they had an excuse to move the seats. It wouldn't be hard to enforce something like this, it worked for most of the 2001-2002 season.

It would have been easy to enforce... In reality it was about 10-20 students that were standing. Those behind them were standing simply because those infront of them. Would it had been to hard to boot a few people and take their season tickets???

No No No... They set the students up for failure, im not sure they did it intentionally, but it is obvious that the students are 3rd class citizens... Thats too bad... we are just the ones who might not want to make donations in 10 years.

Oh and one more thing... Did you know that the SkyBox right behind the current student section belongs either to UND or the Alumni Assoc. How nice of them to whine bitch and moan about the students!!!

It would have been easy to enforce... In reality it was about 10-20 students that were standing. Those behind them were standing simply because those infront of them. Would it had been to hard to boot a few people and take their season tickets???

No No No... They set the students up for failure, im not sure they did it intentionally, but it is obvious that the students are 3rd class citizens... Thats too bad... we are just the ones who might not want to make donations in 10 years.

Oh and one more thing... Did you know that the SkyBox right behind the current student section belongs either to UND or the Alumni Assoc. How nice of them to whine bitch and moan about the students!!!

Very Well put.. you hit the nail right on the head.

The question is what can students do if they lose the seats on the bottom bowl and are put in the wrong corner. If we are only given one section, I will not bother to renew my tickets. I have to get their early enough now to get in one of the bottom two sections, so I'll just watch it on TV. Will REA or UND care if I don't get tickets? No, they have waiting lists for student season tickets. If I say I will not give a penny back to UND will UND care? No, they can't look into the future. If they could, they would have designed the arena so students could stand as they did before. So I would say that the students have nothing they can do about this situation. UND will pay for it in the long run, but they only see the present. With the tuition increases and future plans to get rid of tuition waivers for grad-students, UND is going to have a lot of problems in their future. For now, having an arena that has less atmosphere than the Gophers, it is bad enough. :ohmy:

Students no longer block the suites. The complaints are coming in from fans in sections 107 and 110 the two sections on the sides. They cannot see when the action is on the opposite end.

It is understandable for them to be upset being they paid so much money. But they are aware of the student section being 108 and 109. They chose to sit in 107 and 110 knowing the consequences.

The Athletic department needs to think about what they are trying to accomplish. Where would you rather be in the "dog pund" at a Cleveland Browns game or sitting back and enjoying a Broadway production?

Both can be very entertaining, but which are we trying to produce?

We need to encourage local businesses to get behind the students who are a great deal of their business.

Students no longer block the suites. The complaints are coming in from fans in sections 107 and 110 the two sections on the sides. They cannot see when the action is on the opposite end.

It is understandable for them to be upset being they paid so much money. But they are aware of the student section being 108 and 109. They chose to sit in 107 and 110 knowing the consequences.

The Athletic department needs to think about what they are trying to accomplish. Where would you rather be in the "dog pund" at a Cleveland Browns game or sitting back and enjoying a Broadway production?

Both can be very entertaining, but which are we trying to produce?

We need to encourage local businesses to get behind the students who are a great deal of their business.

As a die hard cleveland browns fan, I have to correct you because it is the dawg pound not the "dog pund". But you make a great point. The whole thing is just ridiculous.

In reality it was about 10-20 students that were standing. .... Would it had been to hard to boot a few people and take their season tickets???

No, it would not have, but then REA would have been the "hardcase" and been railed on for that.

The better question is why didn't the students take responsibility for their own who were causing the problem if it is as you say?

The latest Herald article.

Why is the idea that Students should police their own come from. In a perfect world where everybody was nice to each other and hugged that would work, but unfortunatly there are people who are assholes who are not going to listen to what thier fellow students say or want them to do. I have seen people get kicked out of there and for the most part it was obvious that they deserved.

I know there have been a few people who got thier tickets pulled... big whoop if they deserve it by all means. The Arena has done nothing in the past year to fix the problem either they are inept or they new that it would give them a chance to get more seats. I personally never sat by those who stood all game (Behind the visitors penalty box) I did stand up during times when it is appropriate (power plays, occasional PKs, and the last 2 minutes of a 1 goal game....)

Sic you must remember that you are not at Ralph Engelstad Theater, you are there to be a hockey fan. If everybody want to sit there and not get into the game they might as well stay home save their money and watch the game on TV.