SiouxSports.com Forum

Student Seating

flatspin7

Well that all depends on what you want out of the game. If you are the kind of guy that like to see plays develop the top is great... no doubt. But if you want to slam to see people hit the glass and really heckel the other team the best spot is right behind the opponents penalty box.

Its all an issue of personal preference. The Corner also has its advantages too, but c'mon cant we have the corner that the Sioux shoot twice? (Im whining if you can't tell)

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say it again: Don't "dis" the view from the upper in The Ralph.

I've watched games from up and down and to watch the game the up is far better.

True there is a good view form the upper bowl...but as a student diehard fan, I prefer to get down and dirty in the trenches (as a former player too). There's a reason I get to the arena 2 hours before the doors open...(I just haven't figured it out yet)

Oh well, back to class....blah, blah, blah, torque limitation, blah blah blah, initial part of climb...it never ends :):ohmy:

As I look at the picture and how small the players look, it reminds me what it would be like to watch from the upper bowl. Other than the first row, it is pretty hard for someone to watch a hockey game if they like to see players up close and be a part of the action. There is nothing wrong with people that like to watch from higher up so they can see all of the ice better, but I would be surprised if any of those people sit higher than five rows up.

The picture was taken from the press box. The players look small because the picture is really small. When you look at the larger picture, it's not so bad.

I'm not saying that anyone should be forced to sit in the upper bowl who doesn't want to, only that using the picture posted is not a fair comparison of what the view is really like.

I just talked to some people "in the know" I prefer not to divulge my sources,, but students may be required to sign contracts when they sit in the front seats of 110 that they will sit when the rest of the arena is sitting and vice versa. 111 will be free reign.

These reliable sources were not very happy with Roger Thomas or the rest of the Athletic Dept. REA has nothing to do with the seating change. It lies within the ADs office.

ARGH

It's true that the students in 111 will be able to stand (with a few empty rows at the top of the section).

The student seats in 110 will be assigned via a lottery system, and seat owners will know that standing could result in the loss of the assigned seat.

Wow, I can honestly say this whole situation sucks but not more than what we go through at Mariucci. We luck out cause the businesses in Minneapolis dont care if they show or not, so basically I spent all year sitting behind the penatly box with the rich folks shocking them with my whitty repart

I'm surprised the students haven't asked one of the players to lobby for them privately or publicly yet. (Hint! Hint! Hint!)

Yeah, the students get sections 106-111 and we get to stand, or Parise, Bochenski, and Murray are not playing. :ohmy:

It's true that the students in 111 will be able to stand (with a few empty rows at the top of the section).

The student seats in 110 will be assigned via a lottery system, and seat owners will know that standing could result in the loss of the assigned seat.

Here's a reference for the student seats being assigned in 110 and standing not allowed in today's Dakota Student.

*Like all DS articles, it will expire in 5 days (May 6).

The way I understand this is that the lottery is voluntary to sit in section 110. But, if I am wrong and they pick however many random students, what if you don't want to sit in 110? Are you SOL on season tickets??

Maybe Ralph did more for the students than we thought he did?

Distinct possiblity...Being a former Sioux player he had to know the advantage of having a rowdy student section at ice level. Of course everyone was at ice level when he played :ohmy: . On the flip side though, the man knew how to make a buck. I think next year we are definately in for some interesting times.

Am I missing something? The Herald article said that moving to the corner article is the choice and the UND Student Senate can decide if they want to move. It doesn't sound like anything is decided yet. I'm curious how the Student Senate will seek opinions from the students. It is still a loss of seats, so if it happens, I think I'll just invest some money into a big screen TV. It will be better than watching from the upper bowl and there will be more atmosphere.

Nobody ever answered me, but I just saw a clip for the news that said the Student Senate REJECTED the option to move the student seats.

No one answered because we didn't know anything more. The Student Senate is a mysterious organization that few of us alums have connections into (too much turnover). The Dakota Student article did mention that the Senate would review it this weekend, but since the Student Body President was among the drafters of the agreement, I just assumed the students would go for it.

I wonder what'll happen now. It seems like letting the students agree to a move is just a courtesy (unlike in the old Ralph where the students actually owned their blocks of seats). However, at this point, doing anything without a compromise will be horrible PR.

What apperently most people dont realize is that the ralph does not control the seating at the arena. The Althelic Dept does. They always have.

I still think the Ralph has its issues but It is the Althletic Dept that is doing this, not the ralph. Roger Thomas has spoken openly about trying to compromise with the the students but it is him and his office that is screwing the students. I have seen some real scummy things come out of that office and I was really dismayed to learn that the Athletic office and the AD were behind the seat move, not the Ralph.

:ohmy:

What I was questioning was why everyone assumed it was a done deal.  Obviously it wasn't.  I agree that some bad PR is going to come about if anything is forced.

Yeah, kudos to you on questioning it/noticing that there was still one step to go. Like I said, I assumed it was a done deal because the Student Body President brokered the deal. Apparently the Senate has other ideas.

I wonder if the Senate has any new demands for a deal they would ratify, or if they're going to participate in future negotiations, or if they're just going to sit back and evaluate deals after they're made. There could also come a point at which the student government starts to look petty for not accepting the deals it has brokered (though I'm definitely not saying they're to that point yet).

Student goverment has a President (who brokered the deal) and a Senate for the same reason this country does. I was not at the meeting, I do have some friends that were, so I can find out some info later, but student government is not a club where evereybody agrees with stuff. Most of the senators I know and the student body president are intelligent (most of them) with their own opinions and are certainly not afraid of the Ralph, the Althletic office or Roger Thomas.

I'm sure there are good reasons that the proposal got voted down. The lottery for assigned student seats was probably one of them. The idea that the 110 seast would have been assigned (meaning that the students in that section would have assigned seats) based on a lottery was a definate sign of contention, (and probably a bad idea), but more info to come...

Have a nice night.

I wonder if the Senate has any new demands for a deal they would ratify, or if they're going to participate in future negotiations, or if they're just going to sit back and evaluate deals after they're made. There could also come a point at which the student government starts to look petty for not accepting the deals it has brokered (though I'm definitely not saying they're to that point yet).

There has always been the concern that the students do not lose any seats on the lower bowl. I do not believe that demand has been met with any offer, let alone any concerns on which end we are on or assigned vs. general admission seating.