SiouxSports.com Forum

Student Seating

flatspin7

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 6 season tickets in 105, and would be extremely angry if the students were moved there and we were moved out. When we "picked out" our seats, we were told that those were our seats for life. I have been a season ticketholder since 1986, give quite a bit in "donations" to get those seats, and have been supporting the Sioux hockey team since before I was a student at UND. When I was a student, I didn't care where they put us as long as we got in. Most D1 colleges charge students to get in, and considerably more than UND. If you want to compete with the big boys, you need revenue. It is in no one's best interest to tick off the season ticketholders and boosters that provide that revenue. I understand and empathize with the students, but I think the proposal to move the students to 110 is fair and workable.

I realize what's done is done and we are sitting in 111 next year...The only part of flatspin's plan I disagree with is 105-106. Why not 103-104. There is no wheelchair section there (remember that was part of the students standing controversy last year), and it gives those in the adjacent sections good sightlines if they want to sit, while the students stand. skateshattrick, we were unaware they told you you have those seats for life when you bought them, but at the same time look at it from our perspective, we want to be where we shoot twice, as it was at the old Engelstad. We want to be "in" the game as much as possible. It is also not in one's best interest to piss off people who will be providing the revenue in the future.

I have an idea:

Why not approach Roger Thomas and try one more time at both sides living to the original agreement (from when the line-of-site controversy started last year).

Students:

You have failed. How do I know? I see you standing. That'd be "guilty." Oops. Plus, wasn't there supposed to be some effort on cleaning up the verbage?

REA/UND:

You have failed. Where's the lyrics on the displays? The "sieve dot" on the ring? (U2Bad1, Dirty, forecheck, help me with others.) That'd be "guilty." Oops.

Season ticket holders:

When you aren't going to use your seats, please make sure someone is in it. I don't care if they are rabid and cheer for UND or just sit there like a statue. (Cheering for opponents is unacceptable. :) )

Give the old agreement, which must have been workable because both sides agreed to it, a real effort this time by having both sides actually live to it.

Why not 103-104.

Because that's where MY seats are! :)

Card-carrying member of the "nimby" crowd, that'd be me.

Also you (meaning the students) would be too close to Katie's "office" and you probably wouldn't be able to control yourselves around her. ;)

I agree Mike........the people at REA need to get a better grip on when and where they play there songs to get people up! Sometimes things are going fine, and fans will generate there own noise......but let's face it, sometimes there needs to be a little "help"! I remember numerous times getting the crowd fired up, only to have to wait for the #$@#%$ red light to go off, then it was almost a waste!!

What did people think of them playing movie clips during the breaks before OT? To me, what a MOMENTUM killer! Keep the place rockin, and not put people to sleep! The team needs the home town crowd to be LOUD, not there to watch a FLICK! In my opinion.....they have a ways to go!?

[Also you (meaning the students) would be too close to Katie's "office" and you probably wouldn't be able to control yourselves around her. :)

To be honest, I didn't realize that part...bonus for us I guess (At least the guys :);) )

kr...what about moving you to 105 right next to skateshattrick??? :)

Sic...we tried cleaning up the verbage, it divided the student section, we finished with the 8th seed in the WCHA playoffs, as far as we're concerned it failed...also, EVERY other team's fans use said verbage.

Sic...we tried cleaning up the verbage, it divided the student section, we finished with the 8th seed in the WCHA playoffs, as far as we're concerned it failed...also, EVERY other team's fans use said verbage.

So shouting @#$%&! affects whether or not that saucer-pass gets through? :);) ..... rofl.gif

Put another way, you are admitting that you willfully violated an agreement. That'll garner a lot of sympathy. :)

PS - Like your mom said, "Just because every other fan in the league jumped off a bridge ...." So you want to be just like SCSU fans? :);)

[Put another way, you are admitting that you willfully violated an agreement.

PS - Like your mom said, "Just because every other fan in the league jumped off a bridge ...." So you want to be just like SCSU fans? ;):)

Actually the agreement was we would TRY to clean it up, which we did...the standing issue though (I was not one of them, though I wasn't happy about sitting) yes, students did violate that part of the agreement.

As for the comment about my mom's words...jumping off bridges is fun :) you should give it a try sometime. She also didn't say "fans in the league," she used "friends instead...and it's not jsut SCSU it's Wisconsin, Mankato, Minnesota, Duluth...I've never been to a CC, Denver, Alaska, or Tech game, but I'm sure they do it too. Same thing out East.

I would be willing to give the cleaning up of the language another go, IF the rest of the fans will cheer with us and get the Ralph as loud as we can...if not, then F@#$ it!!

Season ticket holders:

When you aren't going to use your seats, please make sure someone is in it. I don't care if they are rabid and cheer for UND or just sit there like a statue. (Cheering for opponents is unacceptable. :) )

This could be a problem for the out-of-town fans that are unable to make it to the game if the implement something from a survey I saw a few weeks back at The REA website.

One question was "Should season tickets come in the form of a credit card-styled swipe card?"

That, in my opinion, would be the beginning of the end of whatever "atmosphere" is left in the REA.

Why on earth would you not allow for people unable to use their tickets to sell (or, often, give) those tickets to someone that can use them?

I see that the survey is down at the moment, but would be quite interested in what the results were. Anyone?

Swipe card = horrible idea.

I couldn't make a couple of games so I gave those tickets away. I can't imagine the logistics of giving someone my card to use on Friday and then having to get it back so I can go Saturday. And what about folks that split costs and share seats (Friday/Saturday)?

Swipe cards will lower the number of people in the arena. People in the arena equals concessions revenues. You can figure out the correct answer from here.

Swipe card = horrible idea.

I couldn't make a couple of games so I gave those tickets away. I can't imagine the logistics of giving someone my card to use on Friday and then having to get it back so I can go Saturday. And what about folks that split costs and share seats (Friday/Saturday)?

Swipe cards will lower the number of people in the arena. People in the arena equals concessions revenues. You can figure out the correct answer from here.

With you 110%.

Swipe cards=good idea for the students, but I agree it would be a bad idea for the rest of the season ticket holders.

As a current student I would love to have one card that let me go to all the games, it would be very convenient, but as far as season ticket holders go, it would not be conducive to the atmosphere in the arena as it might decrease attendance as per the reasons already stated by airmail and sicatoka

we want to be where we shoot twice, as it was at the old Engelstad. We want to be "in" the game as much as possible.

So do I, but I am not and I would have a hard time justifying asking for more although I have been giving money to UND since the 80's and have followed Sioux hockey religiously since the 70's. I have missed a total of six home games since the 1989-90 season began and whether a undergrad, grad student or an alum, I have considered myself thankful and fortunate each time I was able to walk into the REA to watch the Fighting Sioux, no matter the seat location.

I can appreciate the students position and am not trying to incite a riot, but I sit behind the goal UND defends twice (section 112) and the experience is enjoyable despite not being on the other end. It is great not because of where I sit, but because it is a great arena, great team, great game, great hockey, great fun and the best show around and I am grateful that I get to experience as often as I do.

A new student resistance to the seat move, reports the Dakota Student (link will probably only work until Apr 18, I don't know why the DS doesn't archive stories like it used to).

UND sophomore Greg Enkers started S.A.S.S. or Students Against Switching Seats after Athletic Director Roger Thomas announced that the seating will change next year.

According to Enkers, the goal of S.A.S.S. is to keep the student section where it is currently located in sections 108 and 109. But the group wouldn

The three met with Thomas last Friday to discuss the concerns of S.A.S.S. Thomas talked about the possibility of giving students section 112 along with 111 so there are more seats available in the lower bowl, and taking section 308 away from students.

HAHAHAHAHA... like that would EVER happen. I care for the state of REA, but I don't have much of a say in this anymore since im graduating and won't be around next year. Not that you guys care or anything ;)

I don't know why the DS doesn't archive stories like it used to).

If you were with the Student, would you want online proof of some of the garbage you write (or as they would say right)? I know I wouldn't, so there's your answer. :huh:;)

Most likely nothing is going to change, but Thomas has to meet with these guys. How bad it would look if he just blew them off? You gotta at least pretend to care about how the students feel. :D

HAHAHAHAHA... like that would EVER happen. I care for the state of REA, but I don't have much of a say in this anymore since im graduating and won't be around next year. Not that you guys care or anything ;)

I sit in 112 about ten rows up from the ice and they are great seats. But, knowing full well that REA, like all other arenas, will be putting nets up on each end of the rink (rumored to be taking place before the 04-05 season in GF), I am happy to swap seats. I, for one, thought looking through the netting at the X was a miserable experience until I moved to a much higher row.

If the students don't care to look through netting, they should push for center ice sections, even if they are in the upper bowl.

If the students don't care to look through netting, they should push for center ice sections, even if they are in the upper bowl.

I have always wondered why arenas put up black netting behind the net. White nets would blend in much better. I would much rather have to look through a net than have to look over the net. ;)