SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ MAVERICKS

AZSIOUX

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can hear some drunk Sioux fans in the background doing the Olay chant! LOL

Thanks to NorthDakotaHockey having more tickets than he could use I was able to sit right in or by the Sioux fan section. THAT was a blast, and yes, that was us you heard. :glare:

I'm getting tired of nearly every goal being reviewed. Way to go Schmidt...see what you did?

I am happy they review them to make sure they get the call right. They might be a little too careful, but I'd rather they be right than wrong.

What a blast it was sitting with travelling Sioux fans. These are fans that WANT to be in the game. Lots of fun in that section. Exiting the arena I fell in with a large and boistrous group of fans singing the Ole song, changing "SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP" or "SIOUX YEAH YEAH, YEAH SIOUX SIOUX" or whatever was next. Only time I've had more fun was walking with the band from the Target Center to the team hotel after winning the Final Five championship back when.

Standing and cheering as the team left the ice it was nice to have Duncan and at least one other player tap their sticks in the direction of the fan groups. Also, as the coaches filed out Hakstol looked over and seemed to appreciate the large, vocal group and gave a raised fist which was received with more cheers.

Always fun to watch hockey, but the team didn't seem to have it clicking on every cylindar again tonite. At least that's the way it seemed in my seat. Bouncing pucks, drop passes for teammates that aren't there, lazy passes in dangerous spots in the defensive zone that were picked off....periods of time (I can think of right at the beginning of the 2nd period?) where it just seemed like they were going through the motions. Just didn't seem sharp. Defintely played better for large parts of the 3rd period, but this team needs to get better to beat more than the league doormats.

The 4th line didn't get a lot of playing time but did ok when they were on. I think they struggled in their own end a couple of times. Davidson plays with authority, or at least it looks that way, and that's nice to see in a guy whose barely had any ice time.

Frattin quietly had a very nice game. He was solid, but not flashy in collecting those assists.

Genoway is so good.

Hopefully the boys will be ready for AA next week and take this streak to 7 games.

Back from the game/postgame bars. As dagies posted, us Sioux fans had a great time here in Mankato. From the third period to exiting the arena, as you could probably hear on the radio/tv, we had quite a bit of fun. The Ole, sweep, lets go sioux, etc chants in the stands, and in the concourse as we left was one of the best times I've had as a Sioux fan. For folks who haven't made a road trip, you are really missing out. As far as the bars afterwards go, most people were pretty nice, we had about 5 or 6 drunk guys say "f the sioux or sioux is a girls name", we just laughed them off and said we beat you guys, yet again. Most Mankato fans are pretty apathetic, they know where they rank in the world of college sports. Great weekend, keep it up against AA!

Back from the game/postgame bars. As dagies posted, us Sioux fans had a great time here in Mankato. From the third period to exiting the arena, as you could probably hear on the radio/tv, we had quite a bit of fun. The Ole, sweep, lets go sioux, etc chants in the stands, and in the concourse as we left was one of the best times I've had as a Sioux fan. For folks who haven't made a road trip, you are really missing out. As far as the bars afterwards go, most people were pretty nice, we had about 5 or 6 drunk guys say "f the sioux or sioux is a girls name", we just laughed them off and said we beat you guys, yet again. Most Mankato fans are pretty apathetic, they know where they rank in the world of college sports. Great weekend, keep it up against AA!

Ya I agree with LetsGoSioux it was a GREAT weekend in Mankato. I always look forward going to Mankato for the hockey series. It always seems like we have a great fan base where ever we go. I especially loved the chanting of the Ole song after the game. What is better than doing MSU's goal cheer for when we win??? Going out afterwards to the bars was a lot of fun. There were a lot of great Mankato fans that didn't give us crap for being Sioux fans. Actually, my friends and I took a lot of pictures with the girls from Mankato. It was a GREAT weekend!!

Go Sioux

It was a great weekend, good sweep for the Sioux. I also thought it was great to hear the Ole on the way out of the arena. My family was singing along. It was a great game. One thing I was impressed with us VandeVelde. I think he is getting to be a top player for the team.

Very nice 4pts for the Sioux this weekend. Taz took the family Saturday night for the usual: burger/pizza at Chevy's and then the game. Can't take the kids to Mettler's afterwards, though, so that part's done for a while. :glare:

While I thought Mankato was taking the play to the Sioux for much of the third, it was not enough to overcome the two-goal backbreaker. Mankato has size+speed and an aggressive penalty kill. I was impressed with how well they backchecked even when the Sioux were breaking out flying. But, they seem to make enough mistakes to hurt themselves.

Nice showing by the Sioux faithful once again. I agree with dagies, was nice to see the crowd post-game, and Hak's acknowledgement right back to all of us. Sioux Yeah Yeah, indeed.

taz

Ya I agree with LetsGoSioux it was a GREAT weekend in Mankato. I always look forward going to Mankato for the hockey series. It always seems like we have a great fan base where ever we go. I especially loved the chanting of the Ole song after the game. What is better than doing MSU's goal cheer for when we win??? Going out afterwards to the bars was a lot of fun. There were a lot of great Mankato fans that didn't give us crap for being Sioux fans. Actually, my friends and I took a lot of pictures with the girls from Mankato. It was a GREAT weekend!!

Go Sioux

I suspect that there are alot of sleeping souls, some even hungover, on that Sioux fan bus right now heading back to GF. As I understand, it left Mankato at 8 a.m.

The game was a blast. I have long said that following the Sioux on the road is one of the best things that life can offer. I have also said that my kids have probably learned more about pride, courage, decency, math, history, and good solid fun while wearing the "enemy colors" in hostile WCHA road arenas than they have learned sitting in school classrooms over the years. For those who have not yet taken themselves or their families on the road for WCHA action, I also recommend it highly. Mankato, St. Cloud, Duluth, The John, and even Houghton and Madison are not that far of a drive, at least from El Grande Forke. It is great fun and a good break from the doldrums of winter. I think that few would argue that the Sioux have the best contingent of travelling fans in all of college hockey.

While the weekend games may have had a few warts on the ice from time-to-time, it was a road sweep and that is really all that matters. The Sioux did what it took to win and sweep and likely learned some more things about themselves and what it takes to win on a regular basis. While I have never played it myself, I am well convinced that hockey is the most difficult and demanding of all sports in terms of the need for conditioning, precision, quick thinking, toughness, and drive. Some missed passes, misplays of the puck, stepping back when perhaps they should be stepping up, and sometimes making the "wrong" decision are all part of the game. A game still played by kids, albeit highly skilled kids. A game that is the greatest on earth. We are all well privileged to follow the best program in the best sport with pasion and pride. The Fighting Sioux and college hockey.

It was said by many at the outset of the season that this season is going to be special. There were, as there always will be, a few folks jumping off the wagon. Now, they are clamouring to climb back on. This train is headed to Denver. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

ps. Although probably said elsewhere, Oshie was #3 star, Mav's Berge #2 star, and Frattin the #1 star.