SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruiting 2008

star2city

I see Rashad Gayden, a LB from Cooper HS, signed with Wahpeton. Reportedly, UND had some interest during the recruiting period. Also signing at NDSCS was Derek Earls, a RB/LB and all-metro player from Waconia. Future JUCO options?

I'm surprised we haven't gone that route a little bit this year. Wasn't the plan to jump to the full complement of 63 scholarships with this recruiting class? I would think it would be nice to spread the new schollies out a little bit and bring in some immediate help at the same time. (Although if I remember right, some of last year's big class said there was going to be a bump in schlarship money for them once we officially were operating under FCS limits.)

It would only make sense to spread the scholarship money over players in all five yrs. If you are going to give say 40 full-rides. I would think the smart thing to do would be to distribute them relatively equally over the five year groups. That way the graduating class would surrender enough to entice enough talent during the next recruiting year. I remember one of the staff telling me that in order for UND to be able to schedule FBS teams starting in 2010 they would have to maintain at least 52+ scholarships in 2008 and 2009.

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would only make sense to spread the scholarship money over players in all five yrs. If you are going to give say 40 full-rides. I would think the smart thing to do would be to distribute them relatively equally over the five year groups. That way the graduating class would surrender enough to entice enough talent during the next recruiting year. I remember one of the staff telling me that in order for UND to be able to schedule FBS teams starting in 2010 they would have to maintain at least 52+ scholarships in 2008 and 2009.

To count as a D-I game for an FBS team a FCS team must have a 57 scholarship average over the last two years.

he is a heck of a player and as a person has come along way since he first started in Glenburn. He has always been a good kid, but has mellowed a little bit since then. His family is incredibly close as a family and is a good family.

Sounds like a great kid and a great prospect. Any younger brothers?

UND has received a signed tender from a player from Montmorency College in Laval, Quebec. Filipe Fonseca is a 6'0" 215 lb linebacker who looks very impressive on film. He looks like he will be a great addition to the UND defense. Hopefully there will be a couple more to come in the near future. Great job by the staff to find these unknowns to the north.

UND has received a signed tender from a player from Montmorency College in Laval, Quebec. Filipe Fonseca is a 6'0" 215 lb linebacker who looks very impressive on film. He looks like he will be a great addition to the UND defense. Hopefully there will be a couple more to come in the near future. Great job by the staff to find these unknowns to the north.

Any chance he might want to -- oh, I don't know -- maybe spend some time between the pipes in the off-season? ???

I realize the video is against Canadian competition, which isn't necessarily top notch, but this kid looks very good. Nice size, nice speed and he certainly hits people hard!

Here's the UND press release.

With the ND HS football season over, who has UND been recruiting? Here's some names that have been tossed around as prime ND recruits:

Jared McGowan RB GFC

Karl Effertz TE/WR Century

Josh Horner RB F South

Alex Hooey LB F South

Ian McGurran OL - 6'5" F North

Mitch Haugeberg OL - 6'3" Minot

Jim Green OL - 6'5" Wahpeton

Ben Kringstad DL B Century

Dillan Ostrom WR 6'4" Finley-Sharon

Lance Johansen RB Lakota

Seth Nichols QB 6'5" Dakota Prairie

Any other names?

How about on the Minnesota side?

Update on Johansen.

Hard to fault anyone who doesn't play in all star games.

Why risk the injury?

For the same reason I think the NFL pro-bowl should be abolished. Too much risk.

If they play in the Shrine Game and not the badlands bowl your point is off, unless they have some other scheduling conflict.