SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux/Tigers

Siouxdonyms

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well tough game to lose but CC is a good team. Walsky and Sweatt are really good players! There goalie played top notch today and I hope by now Scott Owens knows who his starting goaltender is after this game.

Congrats to CC, a well deserved win.

The Sioux played sloppy in the 2nd and 3rd nothing else to say. Onward to Wisconsin!!

Sweatt is an amazing player. Wow can that guy move his feet. Theres a guy that could be in the NHL upon conclusion of the NCAA season. Boy is he fun to watch.. :huh::D

Sweatt played well against us last year too, as well as at the World Juniors. He's a top player, that's for sure, and I think you're right with the NHL not being far away for him.

We have been consistent at home. This was our first loss at home this year (2007). However, I agree, have to sweep at home.

Yes, but this was only our third home game so far (we've been on the road a lot to start this season). And this was our first series at home. I think that if Michigan State had the chance to play us the next night, they would have performed much better and we would have had to step up to the challenge in order to earn the sweep. Tonight, we didn't do that.

I'm not panicking over one loss to a good team, but I just want us to establish home dominance like we had in the 1980's and 1990's. That is what championship teams do. And if this team is going to fulfill its potential this season, they are going to have to make REA their personal playground (like the old REA was for almost 30 years).

Yes, but this was only our third home game so far (we've been on the road a lot to start this season). And this was our first series at home. I think that if Michigan State had the chance to play us the next night, they would have performed much better and we would have had to step up to the challenge in order to earn the sweep. Tonight, we didn't do that.

I'm not panicking over one loss to a good team, but I just want us to establish home dominance like we had in the 1980's and 1990's. That is what championship teams do. And if this team is going to fulfill its potential this season, they are going to have to make REA their personal playground (like the old REA was for almost 30 years).

What I was saying is that this was our first loss at home since last December. Yes, it's a new season, but we've been fairly consistent. It's a loss, and it definitely wasn't our best game of the year. However, games like this make you a better team later in the year. You need these games to learn the tough lessons some times.

My thoughts on the game

I thought both freshman D showed some good things and that they also struggled at times..I also thought it was an absolute joke so see Lapoints name up on the screen for player of the game.

Phil does some things that make me wonder sometimes.

CC took it to us physically in the first period and set the tone of the game I thought they played well.

The reffing was awful both ways.

Team came out flat like they had been out celebrating their victory last night a little to late.

The short handed goal CC got killed us.

Hope this veteran team picks it up in practice this week and comes out harder next weekend.

The 'big boys' didn't show tonight. Duncan and Oshie were invisible on the ice. LaPointe was hustling and working hard, there is no player of the game this game but Derrick was amongst those few that were hustling and working.

Can't depend on one line 'cause when that line doesn't show the rest of the team has to step up!

What I was saying is that this was our first loss at home since last December. Yes, it's a new season, but we've been fairly consistent. It's a loss, and it definitely wasn't our best game of the year. However, games like this make you a better team later in the year. You need these games to learn the tough lessons some times.

Good points.

You're right, it's early and you often learn more from failures than successes. And we did turn it on after Christmas last season, including at home. But I also believe that it is absolutely critical for this team to establish a solid record before Christmas so we can make a run for the MacNaughton Cup and put ourselves in position for the playoffs (Final Five and NCAA Tournament). And there are some good teams on our schedule before 2007 is over (Denver, Minnesota, New Hampshire), so we better bring our A game every weekend. Tonight was more like our C+ game.

The 'big boys' didn't show tonight. Duncan and Oshie were invisible on the ice. LaPointe was hustling and working hard, there is no player of the game this game but Derrick was amongst those few that were hustling and working.

Can't depend on one line 'cause when that line doesn't show the rest of the team has to step up!

How true.Those guys didn't have it tonite so obviously somebody else has to pick up the slack.More times than not Oshie and Duncan will be on there game but say they don't that can't be the end of the scoring.It was a team effort tonite of doing nothing after the first period.No second chances to speak of and we were just not taking the body like last night either.Way to many odd man rushes also.Figure it out this week at practice and take it to bucky next weekend.Make up for this loss with a sweep at Wisco.

Once again the Sioux kind of fell apart in the second period with a lot of penalties. I think four total penalties in the second period...so roughly half the period in the box... ???

A couple of things:

-I'm seriously tired of watching Martens do nothing on the ice.

-Lamoureax has been great all year, and by no means was this his fault. But he needs to keep his head late in the third and not take that penalty.

-Marto was okay tonight. Made some Freshman mistakes, but I think he makes a difference on the ice. It'd be nice to see him take Martens spot up on a forward line. That way Jones stays in the lineup.

-CC is a quality hockey club, and did everything they needed to do to win on the road. Survive the first period with great goaltending, get some bounces to get a lead, and then play a great defensive period in the third to close out the win on the road.

Sweatt is an amazing player. Wow can that guy move his feet. Theres a guy that could be in the NHL upon conclusion of the NCAA season. Boy is he fun to watch.. :huh::D

The Sioux have started out 2-2 in the WCHA, but I think they've played two quality hockey clubs in the process.

ive been wondering the saaaame thing about martens. instead of everyone pissing and moaning about radke and how he shouldnt be playing. he has a lot of heart and energy that he brings into the game that ijust dont see martens giving. i would like to see a trupp, radke, forney line much more than what we saw tonight.

For those Lee apologists that thought everyone would be on Lapoint's case early on since Lee was no longer around to be a target........I would take Lapoint or Marto right now, ahead of the player that Lee was at the end of last year. It is still very early, but I think Marto and Lapoint are both going to work out. Yeah they aren't the most physical of d-men, but at least they aren't afraid of getting hit either.

I think Lapoint is one of our top 4 defensemen right now. He hasn't had any costly mistakes, he puts himself in some of the best positions out of anyone on the team, and he never tries to force anything with the puck that could lead to stupid turnovers. Also, when in transition to defense, he plays the body of the opponent really well and usually never lets anyone past. Along with that, he's been more physical than I thought he would be. He isn't going to be a bone crusher (yet), but I think he's been doing exactly what he should.

Opposed from that, I thought last night was probably his worst game he played this year. He was a hard skater at times, but he was out of position a lot as well.

Just my $.02. Now all the GF locals are gonna stone me.

For those Lee apologists that thought everyone would be on Lapoint's case early on since Lee was no longer around to be a target........I would take Lapoint or Marto right now, ahead of the player that Lee was at the end of last year. It is still very early, but I think Marto and Lapoint are both going to work out. Yeah they aren't the most physical of d-men, but at least they aren't afraid of getting hit either.

And so the Lee-bashing continues.

Whatever BDB. Maybe he sucked at UND because no one here liked him. It's too bad Ottawa disagrees with you... but hey, they know hockey. It's their job.

As for the Fire Hakstol thread, I'd like to start a "Play Walski" thread too. JPL did allow 3 goals last night including a shortie. I think it is time Walski got a shot. :D

ive been wondering the saaaame thing about martens. instead of everyone pissing and moaning about radke and how he shouldnt be playing. he has a lot of heart and energy that he brings into the game that ijust dont see martens giving. i would like to see a trupp, radke, forney line much more than what we saw tonight.

i don't know what games you were watching, but i was at both and thought martens skated well both nights. lapoint skates well, but as someone stated, he was out of position a few times last night. nothing that can't be fixed, i think he will be solid. marto looked right at home out there last night. he is one of the fastest players on the ice at any given time, moves the puck well, and jumped into the play nicely. the only knock on marto is his size, but we can't have six matt greenes. friday night, the only thing that really stuck out to me was that forney looked like he had tired legs in the third, as opposed to saturday when it looked like the entire team had tired legs. i really hope we don't see that saturday team on the ice too often this season :D but if anything, we know what they are capable of after the friday game, we just need a little consistency. and yes, sweatt is a player, he was one of the few players who had a complete weekend. the good news (for everyone except cc) is i think he will be gone after this year.

Tough loss. Got out-played the whole night. Ducan, Oshie and Lammy cant beat any team by themselves so the team needs to quit partying after a win and play serious hockey for both nights and help these three guys out. I think the key to this loss was all do to lack of physical play. Absolutely no hitting going on which helped out CC tremendously! Lets just hope we can turn things around and get at least one in Wisc. next week. Bad team to play after this loss in my opinion.