SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux/Tigers

Siouxdonyms

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are doing a great job blocking everything. I don't know how they're doing it.

Yeah, I was thinking earlier, they don't recover after losing to New Hampshire, but decide to regroup after getting beat by us last night? It all comes down to having the lead. A team has more energy when they have a lead, and that showed tonight. Be interesting to see what Hak has to say.

I still get that feeling when he gets the puck in his "office."

That's all well and good, but I think his role is going to have to expand a little bit being option no. 2 this year rather than no. 3, which he was last year, despite the fact he won the Hobey. Look, I'm not saying the guy is horrible all of a sudden, but there seemed like a lot of time tonight where Oshie and VV kept plays alive but when the puck got to Duncan the play just died because if he isn't in his "office", he didn't do a great job of getting the puck to someone else in their "office." Maybe I've set the bar too high after last year and watching him against Michigan St. and last night.

He certainly wasn't the reason we lost, that's for sure. So much for split at home and sweep at home. I guess we'll have to make it up next time we hit the road.

Textbook game on how to lose.

This was a TERRIBLE performance by the Sioux tonight.

Undisciplined, fundamentally crappy hockey.

Cycled and cycled and cycled and cycled and what? Powerplay is over? OH! That's right, we have to SHOOT THE DAMN PUCK to get a goal!

We gave up a shorthanded goal... WOW... Don't know what happened, didn't see it, don't care. There is no excuse for 4 players outplaying 5. PERIOD.

I hope they keep a tape of this game and watch it before Wisconsin's game next week. They can lead in with "This is what we look like when we suck."

Seriously, the first pathetic game of the season.

Textbook game on how to lose.

This was a TERRIBLE performance by the Sioux tonight.

Undisciplined, fundamentally crappy hockey.

Cycled and cycled and cycled and cycled and what? Powerplay is over? OH! That's right, we have to SHOOT THE DAMN PUCK to get a goal!

We gave up a shorthanded goal... WOW... Don't know what happened, didn't see it, don't care. There is no excuse for 4 players outplaying 5. PERIOD.

I hope they keep a tape of this game and watch it before Wisconsin's game next week. They can lead in with "This is what we look like when we suck."

Seriously, the first pathetic game of the season.

We didn't suck in the first period, we just stank up the Ralph the last two! :D

They are doing a great job blocking everything. I don't know how they're doing it.

Because they're actually back playing defense! Hak is a good coach and he will make sure this kind of play is a one weekend thing, not a season long Achilles heal. Our offense and JPL bailed out our D when they made similiar plays last night, but tonight we didn't have it. Again, I think we'll fix it, but that doesn't make it any easier to watch tonight.

Tonight proves that some people think this team is a little to good. It's early in the year, but after watching this performance there are many aspects of the game that the team needs to work on. Defensively the team doesn't look good. The team also needs to start finding chemistry with its lines. Another thing is the team needs to find the right people for the second powerplay unit, I would like to see Trupp and Frattin out there and then at point you need to have Lapoint with Chay or develop Marto to play with Chay. Finely isn't powerplay material, that isn't his game.

Tonight proves that some people think this team is a little to good. It's early in the year, but after watching this performance there are many aspects of the game that the team needs to work on. Defensively the team doesn't look good. The team also needs to start finding chemistry with its lines. Another thing is the team needs to find the right people for the second power point unit, I would like to see Trupp and Frattin out there and then at point you need to have Lapoint with Chay or develop Marto to play with Chay. Finely isn't powerplay play material, that isn't his game.

I agree about Finley. He brings some things to this team that were plainly evident tonight, but scoring isn't one of them. If our D want to light the lamp, then get those guys out there on the PP, not Finley.

Hak's post-game comments:

Delayed due to locker room talk. Can't be happy with this performance.

We didn't get any rebounds in the first. We didn't penetrate. We didn't have a lot of jump. I saw that right away. CC played better, they executed, we knew they would, and we didn't get the job done.

We had some opportunities after Watkins goal, but not enough. Got some life, but ended up giving up a PP goal. The 3rd goal was a killer. It was a bad goal to give up. From there, we threatened to get back in it at times, but couldn't get anything going.

We just quite simply, weren't as sharp as last night. It's a hard lesson to learn, when you have to do it through a loss, for a veteran team. Need to take note, and make sure it doesn't happen again.

I don't think we were sharp moving the puck, or getting the puck through and that's the bottom line. The shooting lane doesn't stay there for very long, and we weren't getting the shot off. Had great opportunities, and we would fan on a shot in front of the net. Just wasn't crisp.

Finley pass to Watkins was nice. We needed that to get us going. Unfortunately, we couldn't keep that going, and snowball it into something going.

We've played two good teams in the WCHA. Tech was good and CC is good. Have to be ready to go each night, and tonight we didn't have it.

Watkins comments:

Too bad we didn't come out with a better effort tonight. Especially with an older club, we can't allow that to happen. CC did a good job and they deserve to be congratulated.

We had some good chances, last night those would have went in, while tonight, they didn't.

First time we ever faced Bachman. He was solid. We didn't get enough 2nd chances. Kind of shows the effort we had tonight and we didn't do good enough as a team.

Nice feed from Joe on the goal. Got it to go.

We had better get used to playing against good goaltending because every team in this league has at least one good goaltender (sometimes two). Even a team like Anchorage usually has a good netminder. We had chances in the first period, but we didn't generate much for the final 40 minutes, being in the box for half the second period will do that. And there were logo-killers, shots from bad angles and shots from the faceoff circles and outside, which usually are not going to go into the net at the D-I level. The Rodents really tested this kid a couple of weeks ago; I wish we would have at least done that tonight.

I think everyone knew that the Tigers would come out and play much better tonight after being embarrassed at times last night. And after losing three straight, they were bound to be a little desperate for a win. I don't think we matched their intensity or their hustle and that is a no-no in this league. A split next week in the Kohl Center would be fine, splits at home are unacceptable. We have to get back to being dominant at home and taking ownership of REA. We also have to establish some game-to-game consistency in order to contend for the WCHA title. If we can establish those things in the first half of this season, we'll be fine for the second half and the stretch run to the playoffs.

Chorney comments:

I don't think our effort was horrible, but it definitely wasn't our best effort.

Last weekend, we played hard against Tech, and it could have went either way. Tonight was different.

They came out with more jump with us tonight.

Our guys weren't getting to the front of the net. Most goalies in the league will make that first save. We just need to be grittier in front of the net and get some garbage goal.

We'll get another shot at them this year.

Next week, will be a totally different style of game. We'll have to grind it out, and hopefully, things will go our way.

Once again the Sioux kind of fell apart in the second period with a lot of penalties. I think four total penalties in the second period...so roughly half the period in the box... ???

A couple of things:

-I'm seriously tired of watching Martens do nothing on the ice.

-Lamoureax has been great all year, and by no means was this his fault. But he needs to keep his head late in the third and not take that penalty.

-Marto was okay tonight. Made some Freshman mistakes, but I think he makes a difference on the ice. It'd be nice to see him take Martens spot up on a forward line. That way Jones stays in the lineup.

-CC is a quality hockey club, and did everything they needed to do to win on the road. Survive the first period with great goaltending, get some bounces to get a lead, and then play a great defensive period in the third to close out the win on the road.

Sweatt is an amazing player. Wow can that guy move his feet. Theres a guy that could be in the NHL upon conclusion of the NCAA season. Boy is he fun to watch.. :huh::D

The Sioux have started out 2-2 in the WCHA, but I think they've played two quality hockey clubs in the process.