SiouxSports.com Forum

UNO at UND

dakotadan

Do you guys think this game will sell out? Maybe I should just get tickets at the door?

Also, the boxoffice rep said ticketmaster is messed up.

There's a chance it could sell out. If any game does this season, it'll be this one. I wouldn't risk waiting until game day if you want to make sure you can go.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys think this game will sell out? Maybe I should just get tickets at the door?

Also, the boxoffice rep said ticketmaster is messed up.

I would guess it won't sell out but I would hate to be wrong. Homecoming, while pretty full, wasn't a sellout. Even though this game is much bigger, people won't have another reason to be here. I think it will be a little less than the Augie game.

And how to dual bands work? Do they take turns playing or what?

I would guess it won't sell out but I would hate to be wrong. Homecoming, while pretty full, wasn't a sellout. Even though this game is much bigger, people won't have another reason to be here. I think it will be a little less than the Augie game.

And how to dual bands work? Do they take turns playing or what?

That could be, I don't expect a sell-out, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did, and that would be great. Like UND92,96 said, with tha hockey game at night, their could be alot of other potential fans in town to also take in the football game.

What's better than a goalie fight?

Band fight! :silly:

Nah, mascot fights top both of those. I'll never forget the sight of two SDSU Jackrabbit mascots fighing on the sidelines with Augustana's Viking mascot. The Viking had a sword and shield, but I'm pretty sure that if they'd wanted to, the two rabbits could have created an even greater numerical advantage in short order. :)

I know a few years ago when we played UC-Davis in the playoffs (when they had the mullet man, JT O'Sullivan at QB), they brought their band with...That was the playoff however. This game will definitely have a playoff atmosphere...can't wait!

I remember the Bison band was at the last SIOUX/Bison game. should be a fun Game! Sioux by 10!

That could be, I don't expect a sell-out, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did, and that would be great. Like UND92,96 said, with tha hockey game at night, their could be alot of other potential fans in town to also take in the football game.

Duh! How could I forget about that? I have only thought about it a million and one times.

The NDSU/UND band rotation restarted in '99 and I think it continued until the games stopped in '03. (I had a part in restarting it.) I don't know when it was suspended prior to '99, but it obviously was before the UND Marching Band was disbanded. I don't know when that was. 1980's?

Generally, the visiting band performs one of their halftime shows during pregame. Each band typically gets one quarter break and each gets to play when their team's offense is on the field. Sometimes, they forego that and just go by quarter. The home band gets all playing opportunities in quarters 1 & 4, the visiting band gets 2 & 3. Bands from other regions(especially from down south) also do a face-off after the game called the 5th quarter. The bands take turns playing one song a piece for about four or five repetitions. Applause and acknowledged respect determine the "winner".

The NDSU/UND band rotation restarted in '99 and I think it continued until the games stopped in '03. (I had a part in restarting it.) I don't know when it was suspended prior to '99, but it obviously was before the UND Marching Band was disbanded. I don't know when that was. 1980's?

Generally, the visiting band performs one of their halftime shows during pregame. Each band typically gets one quarter break and each gets to play when their team's offense is on the field. Sometimes, they forego that and just go by quarter. The home band gets all playing opportunities in quarters 1 & 4, the visiting band gets 2 & 3. Bands from other regions(especially from down south) also do a face-off after the game called the 5th quarter. The bands take turns playing one song a piece for about four or five repetitions. Applause and acknowledged respect determine the "winner".

Actually not much of a rotation, the UND band only went once when I was there, but I can't remember if that was '99 or '00. It wasn't a good experience as the NDSU fans booed throughout the entire performance and then the UND band was stuck at the very top corner of an endzone. IIRC Lots of the UND band members didn't really get much for food either as each section for NDSU was responsible for feeding instead of just have a big band mixer.

NDSU did come the following year. The year after that the UND band voted no to going back to Fargo. Instead we traveled to Omaha (I believe they have since gone again). The band has also gone to Mankato and this year is going to Duluth. The UND band did go to Fargo on one other occasion and that was when Bush visited. I still think it was odd that we were invited, but whatever.

Help me out here, but isn't every music major at NDSU required to be in the marching band?

The situation with Bobby Stroup is an interesting one. Lennon says he is "borderline", which means he is close to coming back but might not be back for Saturday. So this begs the question:

With Saturday's game being as big as it is, do you play Stroup with the chance he could hurt himself all over again and be out for the year or do you rest him and take your chances with your other linebackers?

My answer is that you should rest him. As big as the Omaha game is, it isn't the last game of the year. We could lose and still be in the hunt for a good playoff seed. We have a bye next week, then we are off to Duluth for another tough conference road game. Then it's back to Grand Forks for a tilt with St. Cloud, who is down this year but always gives us a battle. Then we close the regular season at South Dakota in what looks to be a high scoring game in the Dakotadome. If you give Stroup another two weeks of rest, there's a good chance he will be back at full strength (or close to it) for the Duluth game. If you play him and he gets hurt again, you may never get him back this season. And if we don't have Stroup for the stretch drive, I think our NCAA title hopes are sunk.

What does everyone else think?

Just a quick fact, the Sioux are not the only team who has a winning record in the Alerus Center.

Also, UNO is a much better passing team this year although the best passing play might be Miller scrambling. You all are pretty knowledge fans so you know about UNO's big play makers, but I want to give you a couple players to watch for UNO.

#8 Jeff Souder is an outside LB who is fast. He returns kicks and blitzes off the edge hard. He's also a bullet on kickoff. He also will try to block punts. If there is a big collison when UNO is on defense or in special teams, chances are Souder is involved.

#36 Troy Kush is a WR. I think he had a long TD on a broken tackle against UND last year. He is 6'3" tall and catches almost anything. He's a junior and he's starting to remind me of Chris Denney, who was mentioned on here earlier. He is not quite as acrobatic at Denney, but he is a playmaker. I think he might be the hero of the game...if UNO has one.

#45 Stuart Frazier is a FB. He doesn't carry much and is a rock head lead blocker. If a collision happens on offense, chances are Frazier will be involved. He will get introduced to the Sioux LBs sooner rather than later.

I look for a good game and hope everyone stays healthy. I am thankful for the opportunity to enjoy this great pastime in this country.

Actually not much of a rotation, the UND band only went once when I was there, but I can't remember if that was '99 or '00. It wasn't a good experience as the NDSU fans booed throughout the entire performance and then the UND band was stuck at the very top corner of an endzone. IIRC Lots of the UND band members didn't really get much for food either as each section for NDSU was responsible for feeding instead of just have a big band mixer.

NDSU did come the following year. The year after that the UND band voted no to going back to Fargo. Instead we traveled to Omaha (I believe they have since gone again). The band has also gone to Mankato and this year is going to Duluth. The UND band did go to Fargo on one other occasion and that was when Bush visited. I still think it was odd that we were invited, but whatever.

Help me out here, but isn't every music major at NDSU required to be in the marching band?

Yeah, we also had some problems with Sioux fans in the parking lot of Memorial in '99(my last year with the GSMB). I wish both our experiences would've been better. I guarantee you would've had a better food situation if I had still been around and a leader. We went down to SDSU and UNO twice each while I was there and USD canceled on us once. SDSU hosting was the standard to judge by; they were great.

As for your question, yes and no. Inst music ed majors were required to take 6 semesters of band. Subtracting the student teaching semester, it meant that a major should've had to be in MB for at least three years since MB was the only band class during the fall semester. (The concert bands began in Oct, but you didn't get credit for the class unless you had been in MB.) Practically, it didn't work out like that. Most music majors didn't graduate in four years and most found ways to be in CB during student teaching. That effectively dropped the MB requirement to one year. Many also joined the lower band on a secondary instrument. Doubling up on CB's meant you could make it through without a single year in the GSMB. Since most of the faculty looked down on the band, they looked the other way and refused to close the loophole. I expect it still remains. They are getting a director of athletic bands next year plus scholarship money and the rumor of new uniforms. Word is that people in high places are fed up with the lack of progress and are forcing the issue. I hope it's true.

NDSU's new band uniforms will make them a perennial powerhouse.

(Some of you are laughing hysterically right now; the rest of you don't read the USCHO board.)

If they had a skating treadmill, then I'd be very concerned. :silly:

NDSU's new band uniforms will make them a perennial powerhouse.

(Some of you are laughing hysterically right now; the rest of you don't read the USCHO board.)

I'm not laughing at all. You need to leave the comedy to the professionals.

And NDSU needs a Nacho Treadmill.

It sounds like Bauer is out for sure, and Stroup is still questionable. Everybody else is apparently good to go.

Stroup was on the sidelines in front of my seats for most of the Mankato game. He had a pretty visible limp, and it made me think he would be out for the UNO game.

When they brought Bauer off the field, he was putting zero pressure on his ankle. I don't know if it is still true, but after the game the trainers were thinking high ankle sprain (I didn't get a chance to hear or see either Coaches Show, so apologies if this was already reported).

On a funny note, while they were helping him off the field, Bauer put all of his weight on a female trainer and I thought he was going to squish her. :silly:

Doesn't USD have 3 loses which basically puts them out the playoffs even if they run the table?

The loss to McNeese State (FCS team) doesn't really count for purposes of playoff selections. For that matter, UND's win over Southern Utah (and Northern Iowa last year) are/were also essentially irrelevent for playoff selection purposes. Perhaps more accurately, games against non-dII opponents can be considered, but they are not one of the main criteria. link