SiouxSports.com Forum

Big news in the wind

PCM

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with dagies...Dr. Kupchella seems to be acknowledging the success of the entire UND athletic department of which Mr. Buning is part. I wouldn't characterize this letter as an indication of "strong support" for Mr. Buning as suggested by the Herald.

well...remember they posted "BUNING SPEAKS OUT" as a headline to a couple FOI email responses :) Whatever sells the paper I guess but don't judge a book by its cover OR an article by its headline :)

well...remember they posted "BUNING SPEAKS OUT" as a headline to a couple FOI email responses :huh: Whatever sells the paper I guess but don't judge a book by its cover OR an article by its headline :)

Or whatever gets you too watch your certain local NBC affiliated newscast, right? You're station isn't the paragon of broadcast excellence in the region either, so spare us the holier than thou, incredulous tone. :)

Yep. As do players, families, coaches, potential recruits, scouts, etc..., as I frequently try to remind people when they post something they wouldn't say to someone's face.

Jim: Great post.

Most news stories begin with a tip from a public source or from a "common Joe" from the public calling in a tip. Blogs (all blogs) and message boards have simply made it easier for journalists to monitor what is going on in certain sectors of the public. Local media would be foolish not to monitor this message board, what with all of the insiders and others on here who spread information that a journalist would have to pull teeth to get otherwise. The media simply has the power to take those nuggets of information and spread it to a much wider audience, and many in that audience learn it for the first time from the media.

This forum is basically a mass news tip.

Someone always knows juicy information before someone else; rarely, is it news media who is the first to know, not even the New York Times is that good. They have sources and, in many cases, tipsters. The posters on this board basically are tipsters for the local media, whether we like that kind of title or not.

Is it true that UND is effectively splitting the AD position into three jobs? They've already posted the Associate AD/CFO job opening and Dan Hammer made a comment on his radio show that there would also be a CEO and COO.

Using a business model: Good idea? Bad?

http://www.und.nodak.edu/org/hr/professnl.htm (1/4 down the page)

Don't people complain college athletics is too much like a business? Why not run like one? :huh:

Kevin Fee blog.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out. This is telling:

"Phil, we have had four resignations that I know of in the athletic department in the last month. I would suggest you do an exit interview with these people and get their views on the department and Tom."

Why did four people resign after it has become public that the AD is very likely to be history? If he's the problem and the problem is gone, why resign?

I also find it telling that Volunteer Martinsen is 'suggesting' to Harmeson he do an exit interview, etc. of those resigning. Who's the boss here?

What a mess..........

Why did four people resign after it has become public that the AD is very likely to be history? If he's the problem and the problem is gone, why resign?

I also find it telling that Volunteer Martinsen is 'suggesting' to Harmeson he do an exit interview, etc. of those resigning. Who's the boss here?

What a mess..........

I believe the resignations occurred before the leave of absence. It would have been helpful had Fee given the dates of the e-mails.

What a mess..........

These people resigned long before the AD was let go. It helps if we are going to criticize someone we get the facts straight first.

Before we make any assumptions based on preconceived notions consider a couple of things.

Dan Martinson went to UND just like many of us. With his degree from UND, he worked in the insurance business. He was a person who had the vision and leadership to eventually create a very successful insurance company. He eventually sold this to SAFECO (if my informantion is correct) and during the course of his successful career in the insurance business and "retirement" he has given very generously of both his time and financial resources to UND. That has come without strings attached. He felt strongly UND was the "flagship" university of the state of North Dakota and we needed to continue to excel both academically and athletically so we wouldn't lose our competitive advantage in the upper midwest.

He has served on a committee studying and discussing the move to D1 for the last 10yrs or so and met with President Kupchellla on a number of occasions to lobby on behalf of the move. When Dr. Kupchella asked him to help with the transition, he stepped up with more of his resources, but most importantly his time. He moved to Grand Forks and has lived in Grand Forks for about a year and does this as a volunteer. Rather than some of the cheap shots tossed at him occasionaly on this thread he deserves our thanks. He has a home on the west coast and a ranch out west (where I believe he also does some voluteer work and provides resources to help needy kids).

If anyone thinks this issue was a "good old boy" issue or that there were no problems in the Athletic Dept. you a grossly misinformed.

You can't have the number of people in the department (who are highly thought of) resign at the same time. Most of the coaches were unhappy and many supportive alumni were unhappy and we should be smart enough to know that there were serious problems.

Lastly, when those who were your biggest supporters and most responsible for you getting the job in the first place decide you need to go( OKeefe and Harmeson), then I don't think anyone would be under the mistaken impression Dan Martinson got Buning fired. When people who have exceled all of their lives in careers like Maritinson did, that rely so much on working with people and communicating, see there is a problem, we should be thankful he asked those with the authority to look into the situation. That is what he should have done and that is what he seems to have done.

These people resigned long before the AD was let go. It helps if we are going to criticize someone we get the facts straight first.

Before we make any assumptions based on preconceived notions consider a couple of things.

Dan Martinson went to UND just like many of us. With his degree from UND, he worked in the insurance business. He was a person who had the vision and leadership to eventually create a very successful insurance company. He eventually sold this to SAFECO (if my informantion is correct) and during the course of his successful career in the insurance business and "retirement" he has given very generously of both his time and financial resources to UND. That has come without strings attached. He felt strongly UND was the "flagship" university of the state of North Dakota and we needed to continue to excel both academically and athletically so we wouldn't lose our competitive advantage in the upper midwest.

He has served on a committee studying and discussing the move to D1 for the last 10yrs or so and met with President Kupchellla on a number of occasions to lobby on behalf of the move. When Dr. Kupchella asked him to help with the transition, he stepped up with more of his resources, but most importantly his time. He moved to Grand Forks and has lived in Grand Forks for about a year and does this as a volunteer. Rather than some of the cheap shots tossed at him occasionaly on this thread he deserves our thanks. He has a home on the west coast and a ranch out west (where I believe he also does some voluteer work and provides resources to help needy kids).

If anyone thinks this issue was a "good old boy" issue or that there were no problems in the Athletic Dept. you a grossly misinformed.

You can't have the number of people in the department (who are highly thought of) resign at the same time. Most of the coaches were unhappy and many supportive alumni were unhappy and we should be smart enough to know that there were serious problems.

Lastly, when those who were your biggest supporters and most responsible for you getting the job in the first place decide you need to go( OKeefe and Harmeson), then I don't think anyone would be under the mistaken impression Dan Martinson got Buning fired. When people who have exceled all of their lives in careers like Maritinson did, that rely so much on working with people and communicating, see there is a problem, we should be thankful he asked those with the authority to look into the situation. That is what he should have done and that is what he seems to have done.

I agree with everything in this post. I haven't heard anything negative about Dan Martinsen from people who have actually met him, other than from Tom Buning.

I agree with everything in this post. I haven't heard anything negative about Dan Martinsen from people who have actually met him, other than from Tom Buning.

What would you expect Buning to say, boy I'm glad President Kupchellla put someone in my department that I have no control over and only reports to him. This all starts with Kupchellla and his dislike or inattention to athletics at UND. Martinsen can be the best guy in the world but even he with his business experience should have seen how this would only end the way it has. I'll bet you anything when there's a new president and AD that Mr. Martinsen will have a job title and report to the new AD.

What would you expect Buning to say, boy I'm glad President Kupchellla put someone in my department that I have no control over and only reports to him. This all starts with Kupchellla and his dislike or inattention to athletics at UND. Martinsen can be the best guy in the world but even he with his business experience should have seen how this would only end the way it has. I'll bet you anything when there's a new president and AD that Mr. Martinsen will have a job title and report to the new AD.

So, once again, it would seem that mr. buning does not have to be responsible for his actions? This whole mess is someone elses fault? Ridiculous, simply ridiculous.

I'll take that bet and bet my house and pension. You have no idea what has gone on nor how things have been handled. Martinson wasn't "put in" Bunings Dept. He was working for and advising Kupchella. Don't get all of your info from the media or the blogs.