SiouxSports.com Forum

Buning Problem?

siouxman68

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin Fee blog.

after reading this I understand why today's Sioux-per Swing was the lowest attended in the last decade, only four former hockey players in attendance, only one head coach played with a handful of other asstiants. Most alumni, and boosters spent the entire day grousing about our current leadership, actually quite sad :silly:

after reading this I understand why today's Sioux-per Swing was the lowest attended in the last decade, only four former hockey players in attendance, only one head coach played with a handful of other asstiants. Most alumni, and boosters spent the entire day grousing about our current leadership, actually quite sad :silly:

Hmmm, that's funny, I thought everything was just fine as far as the AD was concerned. :silly:

Hmmm, that's funny, I thought everything was just fine as far as the AD was concerned. ;)

Wow you guys are going to have to think of something a little more than alumni and coaches not showing up for a golf tournament to convince me. If this is the best arguement you have against buning at the time you should give it a rest. :lol:

Wow you guys are going to have to think of something a little more than alumni and coaches not showing up for a golf tournament to convince me. If this is the best arguement you have against buning at the time you should give it a rest. :lol:

I guess you neglected to read the part about the alumni and boosters. Maybe I don't understand what grousing is, but I interpret that as being "not good."

"Grousing"? Doesn't that involve "Goon", a shotgun, and September? :lol:;)

There are folks that know more than they are saying here (that they've said in a PM or two to me). I won't break trust with them.

Speaking of Grousing: Me thinks there are going to be a lot of pheasant this season. Just a hunch...

I'm thinking about changing my name to..."BRING ROGER BACK!" - like the bring DEAN back guy! (he had the right idea!) I'm thinking...we could have a great PR guy with NO business sense!!! THAT WOULD ROCK!! He would get along with EVERYONE, not cause any friction, but raise NO MONEY and be clueless about the business world while we're making the move to division I....that's SUPER! ;)

(and you call the LTC a Party boy? - at least he's a party boy with a purpose! :lol: )

Kevin Fee blog.

Reading this, sounds like Buning needs to be more a team player than a team leader. Lot's of 'Heads of...' have to learn this lesson in order to make the rest of the team major contributors. Coming from an Army background, I can understand where Buning may need to to work on this aspect of his leadership style.

Sorry but this doesn't read like the end of UND athletics to me. But then, I don't have any 'inside sources'. ;)

Reading this, sounds like Buning needs to be more a team player than a team leader. Lot's of 'Heads of...' have to learn this lesson in order to make the rest of the team major contributors. Coming from an Army background, I can understand where Buning may need to to work on this aspect of his leadership style.

Sorry but this doesn't read like the end of UND athletics to me. But then, I don't have any 'inside sources'. ;)

Military leadership of all places requires the understanding that everyday you get up, you go to work with the idea that you take care of your soldiers and do whatever it takes to position them for success. If you take care of your soldiers they will not only successfully complete the mission, they will in turn take care of you. In the military, maybe more so than other professions, each of your soldiers needs to be ready to assume the role of leader and to assume the role of their immediate superiors. That is one of the reasons the US military has such an excellent record of success.

If an athletic director goes to work everyday with the idea that he needs to serve his subordinates in such a way as to position them for success, and then recognize those who work for him or her as the reason for those successes, that AD will do well. He needs to figure out his staff strengths and weaknesses then provide those folks with the necessary resources to get the job done. If you can't allow those with the ability to do their jobs without micromanaging and you don't have very clear lines of communication so they understand their roles and their missions, you have set yourself and your oganization up for less than optimal success or worse yet, ossible failure.

Without commenting on Mr. Buning, his Army background should have provided ample training and experience to avoid the present problems he is alleged to have. Your comment that "coming from an Army background I can understand where Mr. Buning may need to work on this aspect of his leadership style" would lead me to think you may not have any military experience outside of the movies or that if you were in the military, you did not have good leadership. I am not meaning to criticize, but too many people make the mistake of thinking military leadership is simply odering people around because you outrank them. Military leadership is similar to leadership elsewhere. Those leaders are followed out of respect from their suborinates. The stakes happen to be a lot higher than winning hockey games or football games or championships and for some there is no next season.

Military leadership of all places requires the understanding that everyday you get up, you go to work with the idea that you take care of your soldiers and do whatever it takes to position them for success. If you take care of your soldiers they will not only successfully complete the mission, they will in turn take care of you. In the military, maybe more so than other professions, each of your soldiers needs to be ready to assume the role of leader and to assume the role of their immediate superiors. That is one of the reasons the US military has such an excellent record of success.

If an athletic director goes to work everyday with the idea that he needs to serve his subordinates in such a way as to position them for success, and then recognize those who work for him or her as the reason for those successes, that AD will do well. He needs to figure out his staff strengths and weaknesses then provide those folks with the necessary resources to get the job done. If you can't allow those with the ability to do their jobs without micromanaging and you don't have very clear lines of communication so they understand their roles and their missions, you have set yourself and your oganization up for less than optimal success or worse yet, ossible failure.

Without commenting on Mr. Buning, his Army background should have provided ample training and experience to avoid the present problems he is alleged to have. Your comment that "coming from an Army background I can understand where Mr. Buning may need to work on this aspect of his leadership style" would lead me to think you may not have any military experience outside of the movies or that if you were in the military, you did not have good leadership. I am not meaning to criticize, but too many people make the mistake of thinking military leadership is simply odering people around because you outrank them. Military leadership is similar to leadership elsewhere. Those leaders are followed out of respect from their suborinates. The stakes happen to be a lot higher than winning hockey games or football games or championships and for some there is no next season.

That Blog article seems to lend credence to some of the things people have been saying on this message board. It appears that if Bunning doesn't get it together he is going to be out. That is not a glowing review by any means but it does appear that he has time to turn it around. Also, I would expect a Military Graduate of an academy to make a grade higher than LTC before they retire from the military unless they have been on the wrong side of a few higher graded military officers. By the way yes I did serve in the military so I do understand the politics of the armed services.

Your comment that "coming from an Army background I can understand where Mr. Buning may need to work on this aspect of his leadership style" would lead me to think you may not have any military experience outside of the movies or that if you were in the military, you did not have good leadership. I am not meaning to criticize, but too many people make the mistake of thinking military leadership is simply odering people around because you outrank them. Military leadership is similar to leadership elsewhere. Those leaders are followed out of respect from their suborinates. The stakes happen to be a lot higher than winning hockey games or football games or championships and for some there is no next season.

Nope, was never in the military. Only married to one who was, worked with many who were and know many who had been. The closest I have been to being in the military was having worked at a VA medical center for eight years. My impression is military leaders lead with the 'do as I say, I know best, that's why I'm in charge' style' and subordinates are just that, subordinates. I agree with your assessment as to what a good military leader 'should be'. But as you point out, my limited military exposure is just that, limited.

I agree with your last statement. But as I pointed out, I don't have the 'inside information' many who have posted in this thread propose to have. I expressed my opinion based on the information I read in Fee's blog. Given that is the only substantiated information I am privy to, my opinion remains unchanged.

after reading this I understand why today's Sioux-per Swing was the lowest attended in the last decade, only four former hockey players in attendance, only one head coach played with a handful of other asstiants. Most alumni, and boosters spent the entire day grousing about our current leadership, actually quite sad ;)

All I know is that there used to be a lot of players at the Super Swing events. Maybe it was a bad weekend for the tourney.

All I know is that there used to be a lot of players at the Super Swing events. Maybe it was a bad weekend for the tourney.

Rob Bollinger and Jeff Bowen (both now gone) greatly assited in getting hockey players not only back for this event (held same time every year) but also in giving funds for support of UND athletics. IMO with the handling of the Womens Hockey hiring and the loss of key individuals in the support staff, we have some Hockey Players and Alumni that are expressing their disatisfaction by their lack of support. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...