SiouxSports.com Forum

Buning Problem?

siouxman68

Mr. Wanless did not received critism until he fired hockey icon "Gino Gasparini"...

Not true. When I arrived in Grand Forks in 1992, many people were already complaining about Wanless. Firing Gasparini probably didn't improve his standing any, but some of his decisions and policies were under fire before that happened.

And it's interesting that the example you say led to widespread disenchantment with Wanless turned out to be the correct decision at the time.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not true. When I arrived in Grand Forks in 1992, many people were already complaining about Wanless. Firing Gasparini probably didn't improve his standing any, but some of his decisions and policies were under fire before that happened.

And it's interesting that the example you say led to widespread disenchantment with Wanless turned out to be the correct decision at the time.

I knew of a couple of people who had nicknamed him "Worthless". I don't recall why.

If I remember right, though, wasn't the Athletic Department always in the black with Wanless? Sometimes leaders have to make unpopular decisions that others don't understand, because they are not privy to all of the information. Additionally, it is much easier to poke holes in someone else's policies than to have to produce, enact and manage your own policies.

Here are some interesting quotes from the Aug. 6, 1998, Herald story by Ryan Bakken announcing Wanless' resignation:

Wanless said his resignation isn't because the criticism has worn him down. "Heck no. If that was the case, I'd have been looking a long time ago. I've been (rumored to be) fired almost since the day I got the job."

Stormy success story

In his eight years on the UND job, athletics flourished on and off the playing field. But he rarely received any credit for the success.

In fact, the reverse was true. His decisions and style, plus the changing face of college athletics, made him a lightning rod for criticism from alumni and boosters. Some UND coaches privately groused about his micro-management and corner-cutting to save money.

"In my six years, Terry's record has been a very good one and I'm not talking about just the records," (Kendall) Baker said. "One thing I'm enormously proud of is that the athletes are good students and neat human beings."

But, again, his critics give the credit to the coaches and Fighting Sioux Club executive director Rob Bollinger for those accomplishments.

Wanless, coming from Western Carolina State, was regarded as an outsider from the start. Most Sioux followers supported former men's basketball coach Dave Gunther or football coach Roger Thomas for the job in 1990.

The rising costs and stricter NCAA rules meant Wanless had to make many changes. His style of orchestrating that change - including forcing hockey coach Gino Gasparini to resign - made enemies.

The more things change...

I knew of a couple of people who had nicknamed him "Worthless". I don't recall why.

If I remember right, though, wasn't the Athletic Department always in the black with Wanless? Sometimes leaders have to make unpopular decisions that others don't understand, because they are not privy to all of the information. Additionally, it is much easier to poke holes in someone else's policies than to have to produce, enact and manage your own policies.

Actually, no. From the October 1994 Bakken article I mentioned above:

If Wanless is the CEO of athletics, there are two convenient ways to measure his performance -- the won-loss bottom line and the financial bottom line.

Wanless grades high for records, with a 68.8 winning percentage in the four major sports for revenue and visibility -- hockey, football and men's women's basketball -- during his four years. In Gasparini's five years as AD, the winning percentage for those four sports was 59.1 percent.

With a $100,000 budget deficit last year and stagnant giving for scholarships, he scores low for the financial bottom line. The budget deficit is roughly how much hockey ticket revenue has fallen in the last two years.

The issue about Buning I'm most curious about is exactly how fundraising is going. I don't know that answer, but obviously it's a very important one.

Wanless was the AD from 1990 to 1999, so the 1994 article would have been mid-way through his tenure.

Wanless named new CSUS athletics director

This is what I'm remembering.

At North Dakota, Wanless inherited a program that was nearly $500,000 in debt. When he left, it had a $200,000 reserve and the athletic budget had increased 32 percent. Fund-raising had increased from $220,000 to $900,000 annually. The football, hockey, and men's and women's basketball teams had set new attendance records, and the university had signed the first $1 million radio contract in Division II history.

Sometimes a one year snapshot doesn't give the full truth. One of my biggest problems with journalists. No offense PCM.

Wanless was the AD from 1990 to 1999, so the 1994 article would have been mid-way through his tenure.

Sometimes a one year snapshot doesn't give the full truth. One of my biggest problems with journalists. No offense PCM.

These are good numbers but don't forget who was doing the fund raising and started the Fighting Sioux club which not only was the key to the increased fundraising but also the Fighting Sioux club increased the season ticket holders in FB, WBB, MBB. I am not sure about hockey becaude i think hockey was either sold out or near sold out.

It was a team effort and Rob Bollinger was a very important part of these improvements to all sports not just FB.

Wasn't their some tension between Engelstad and Wanless as well. I seem to remember Mr. Engelstad voicing his displeasure with Wanless.

Don't get me wrong, I have great respect for what Terry Wanless accomplished at UND, and don't think he deserved to be forced out. With that said, through his first four years, his m.o. was apparently more of trying to balance the budget by making cuts rather than by increasing fundraising. Even Tom Clifford was quoted in the Bakken article as giving Wanless only lukewarm approval in terms of job performance in areas other than gender equity through his first four years:

"He also had done a good job with affirmative action for women's sports. In retrospect, he has fulfilled his perceived strengths."

And how's he done the rest of his job? "OK, all right," Clifford said.

He seems very likable and engaging in person. I'm not privy to all of the he said-she said stuff, but in my opinion a 10-game football schedule is an embarassment with where our programs are headed in the next five years.

I think that is more a reflection of the state of DII football rather than our A.D.'s or Coaches scheduling philosophies Example: beating Winona (in region opponent) at home by 50 would mean more for playoff hopes than defeating the defending national champion NWMSU (out of region opponent). I'm sure we could have easily gotten an 11th game. But probably would have had to be on the road to get an attractive top 25 opponent. The alternative would have been a sixth home game against someone like Crookston or Charleston. With playoff stipulations to consider, perhaps 10 games and the extra bye week is more beneficial.

These are good numbers but don't forget who was doing the fund raising and started the Fighting Sioux club which not only was the key to the increased fundraising but also the Fighting Sioux club increased the season ticket holders in FB, WBB, MBB. I am not sure about hockey becaude i think hockey was either sold out or near sold out.

It was a team effort and Rob Bollinger was a very important part of these improvements to all sports not just FB.

I believe Mr. Buning also inherited an athletic department from RT that was running in the red and now has a balanced budget. From what I gather from posters here, most of the coaches liked RT. If I were an employee, I would probably also like to have a boss that allowed me to be a free-spender. As someone who has employees though, I know that my business probably wouldn't last long if I didn't keep a tight leash on how much money was being spent on what. Sometimes tough decisions must be made, and not everyone is going to like it.

The Herald did a story on Terry Wanless at a time when there were many complaints about him. So why would Buning be treated any different?

Please! The Hearld coverage started after Wanless and Gino Squared off in the AD office! Think people Hak has 10 months and change left on his contract, when is the last time a prized coach has been left a free agent? Do yall think they will talk about a contract when the season starts? Think take your heads out of the sand. I bet if the year goes by and Hak still has no contract, the Herald will write an article then we will have proof and a big fat link that yall been wishing fer! :)

Please! The Hearld coverage started after Wanless and Gino Squared off in the AD office! Think people Hak has 10 months and change left on his contract, when is the last time a prized coach has been left a free agent? Do yall think they will talk about a contract when the season starts? Think take your heads out of the sand. I bet if the year goes by and Hak still has no contract, the Herald will write an article then we will have proof and a big fat link that yall been wishing fer! :)

I heard an employee for cloverdale meats quit yesterday. Seeing as they are the official hotdog of the Ralph, which is the very arena that the sioux play in this must be bunings fault. ;)

My point in posting the quotes from the Herald article wasn't to reveal "the truth" about Wanless' tenure. I was merely illustrating that at one point during his time at UND, there were similar complaints about him from what seems to be a similar group of people. That's all.

My point in posting the quotes from the Herald article wasn't to reveal "the truth" about Wanless' tenure. I was merely illustrating that at one point during his time at UND, there were similar complaints about him from what seems to be a similar group of people. That's all.

I was apologizing for lumping all journalists together. :)

Then I guess I still don't get what you meant by the comment. :)

I wasn't referring to any of your posts in particular. I was merely apologizing for including you, as a journalist, with all of the other journalists of the world, because I think far too often they editorialize events to fit their preconceived ideas.

... Hak has 10 months and change left on his contract, when is the last time a prized coach has been left a free agent?

Does "under contract" really mean squat? Blais was "under contract" when he left for NHL Columbus.

If Hak were to go to a fourth straight Frozen Four I'd be more shocked if he stayed. Hak's not 40. I struggle to believe this is the final stop on his coaching path.

And if Hak were to go, Brad Berry is up in Winnipeg, Steve Johnson is back in Grand Forks, and Cary Eades has an office down the hall.

Does "under contract" really mean squat? Blais was "under contract" when he left for NHL Columbus.

If Hak were to go to a fourth straight Frozen Four I'd be more shocked if he stayed. Hak's not 40. I struggle to believe this is the final stop on his coaching path.

And if Hak were to go, Brad Berry is up in Winnipeg, Steve Johnson is back in Grand Forks, and Cary Eades has an office down the hall.

Did dean ever 10 months left on his contract? Or do you let them run out then decide if you want to keep them when they are not under contract? If you strugle to believe that Hak does not want to stay more then 4 years here, I DEMAND A LINK, OR WHO IS YOUR SOURCE? If you can't tell who told you, or you don't have a 1st hand account of what was said. You have no CRED on this board. I know you don't have one because you are so far off base, it is as if you have no clue!

Did dean ever 10 months left on his contract? Or do you let them run out then decide if you want to keep them when they are not under contract? If you strugle to believe that Hak does not want to stay more then 4 years here, I DEMAND A LINK, OR WHO IS YOUR SOURCE? If you can't tell who told you, or you don't have a 1st hand account of what was said. You have no CRED on this board. I know you don't have one because you are so far off base, it is as if you have no clue!

Calm yourself. People are allowed to have opinions on here. He didn't state it as fact, he said "I would be more shocked if hak decided to stay."

That's clearly an opinion. He's not spreading false rumors or anything.

I second what the "source" said, if you dont think Hakstol wants to stay here for more than 4years ,you dont have a clue. And yes that is directed at you Sicatoka. It just goes to prove what 7nationaltitles says, over 6300 postes and still nothing to show for it(that again is directed at you Sicatoka)! This isnt one of those silly comment topics, that can be used to pad your posts. This one is real and serious, and it may in fact cost UND a great coach, so maybe you should sit this one out!

Hakstol would sign a new contract in a heartbeat (and no I am not going to give the link or my source). All the top college hockey coaches are getting extensions and at significant increases in salary far in advance of their contracts being up, in fact their assistants are also getting extensions and raises. If UND wants to stay a top flight program in hockey they need to keep pace with the others and it starts at the top with the head coach and his assistants, by locking them up for the long term. It would take an i---t not to have that done by now (and I am sure you can assume who that was directed towards). Heck the UMD athletic director did it with Sandlin, and look what he has accomplished there to deserve it. Again, only an i---t wouldnt have it done! And it doesnt take a link or source or rocket scientist for that matter to figure what Hakstol is thinking being the one top coach out there left dangling going into the final year of his contact, that is just simple common sense. What would we all think in that situation and what me might do with our future if we were dangling like that. One man at UND is responsible for that getting taken care of or leaving him dangling. Again, Buning do the right thing and leave on your own, so someone can get it done!