SiouxSports.com Forum

Toews Watch

Goon

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread should be more appropriately titled, "Will he sign before completion of his junior year?"

Here is saying that he will not. He is barely nineteen, if that. He is developing well in the WCHA.

He is getting an education, and likely living the Life of Riley on campus. He is a stones' throw from

his hometown. He has friends on the team with unfinished business. He has all of the tools

necessary to continue developing, both on and off the ice, at his fingertips. The pro game will

be there for the next fifteen years or more. He has an insurance policy that will well protect him

against injury.

I am as much of a genius as the other self-appointed geniuses here who are considering it a foregone

conclusion that Johnny is gone. Maybe it will be true, maybe it will not. There are as many good

reasons for him to stay as there are for him to leave. Maybe he and his family are not as motivated

by the blinding almighty dollar as others often are. The bigger picture, and the better wisdom,

has Johnny Toews skating for the Sioux next year.

JT will be in Chicago by years end. Why on earth would you stay in school when you are guaranteed the big bucks? A million bucks buys a hell of an education :lol: I am a huge Sioux fan, but as a supporter, I have to support what is best for these young men, and for Toews, he is ready for the NHL. We hate losing these guys, but if they aren't going to the pros at 19 or 20 we're going to stop getting the tier one talent. Good Luck Jonathan!

but if they aren't going to the pros at 19 or 20 we're going to stop getting the tier one talent. Good Luck Jonathan!

I disagree with that, I guess. We won't stop getting tier one talent... the Sioux hockey program will ensure that. If that tier one talent develops as a team and wins championships, the program is in an even better condition.

I disagree with that, I guess. We won't stop getting tier one talent... the Sioux hockey program will ensure that. If that tier one talent develops as a team and wins championships, the program is in an even better condition.

18.19 or 20 i dont care, if you are good enough you are good enough bottom line................we may only lose toews to te pros, lee as a maybe, oshie will be back....

Because Chicago sucks. :lol:

true but i hate seeing college kids avoid tpro teams because they suck. dont be like that little bich eli manning and act like you control the league so you dont have to play for a crappy team. its been done i the nba as well. he is ready in everyway a hockey player could be...

true but i hate seeing college kids avoid tpro teams because they suck. dont be like that little bich eli manning and act like you control the league so you dont have to play for a crappy team. its been done i the nba as well. he is ready in everyway a hockey player could be...

From Blackhawk's GM Dale Tallon's chat on chicagoblackhawks.com:

Patrick (Aurora, Illinois): Dale, Will we be able to see the a line combination featuring Skille and Toews? I can't wait to see what these young guys can do in the NHL.

Dale Tallon: That's something we definitely look forward to, yes. Skille is doing quite well in Norfolk and they both have a chance to make our team next year.

I can't see Toews "pulling an Eli" on the Blackhawks, but perhaps he's looking for a guarantee that he'll be in the NHL at the beginning of the season, and not the AHL. If they are telling him that he "has a chance to make the team", maybe he'd rather give it another shot at #8 (and another World Junior title) than face the possibility of being in the AHL.

From Blackhawk's GM Dale Tallon's chat on chicagoblackhawks.com:

I can't see Toews "pulling an Eli" on the Blackhawks, but perhaps he's looking for a guarantee that he'll be in the NHL at the beginning of the season, and not the AHL. If they are telling him that he "has a chance to make the team", maybe he'd rather give it another shot at #8 (and another World Junior title) than face the possibility of being in the AHL.

does anyone else see the irony in this.......i don't care how good jonathon toews is....YOU HAVE TO PROVE YOURSELF!!!! not in the world juniors...not in college....not at shattucks.....IN THE LEAGUE YOU ARE TRYING TO COMPETE IN.....funny thing is that he knows that and alot of people here are hoping that he is an arrogant prick like eli or john elway and says no to the blackhawks so he'll stay one more year here...

Toews doesn't have a "bad option." The only reason that he would stay at UND is because he is enjoying the experience, and wants another go with his teammates. If he leaves this year or next we will live his life as a very wealthy man either way. We know he is a first class person, and if he stays we are very fortunate.

The weakness of the Blackhawks virtually guarantees JT a spot on the big club. As much as I want him to be back, the kid is ready and is the whole package. Compare JT with Zajac, and Travis is playing well on a tier one team. JT will make the roster on the big club.

Having guys ready for the NHL at 19 or 20 is a definite selling point of UND for the tier one talent. It allows us to compete for players with the CHL. If you all remember, JT is the first player ever to go number 1 in the major junior bantam draft and elect to go the college route. A big part of that was his belief that UND could get him equally prepared to go pro. The CHL still pulls the best talent, as it is the most direct route to the show, with the most games, best competition, etc. The WCHA is not far behind, but players need to know that they have just as good a shot at being a pro before they can legally drink ( in the US) selecting the Fighting SIoux as they would selecting Brandon or Moose Jaw or Peterborough or Mississauga or Hamilton.

The top guys are simply building skills in a more friendly environment and getting an education is a perk, but they all are looking for that chance at the big silver trophy, and their mom and dad watching them get critiqued by Don Cherry on Saturday nights.

does anyone else see the irony in this.......i don't care how good jonathon toews is....YOU HAVE TO PROVE YOURSELF!!!! not in the world juniors...not in college....not at shattucks.....IN THE LEAGUE YOU ARE TRYING TO COMPETE IN.....funny thing is that he knows that and alot of people here are hoping that he is an arrogant prick like eli or john elway and says no to the blackhawks so he'll stay one more year here...

If toews feels he is ready he will go. simple as that.

I am guessing another year at college getting stronger would help his game, but I am not a scout so maybe he is the next sid the kid.

Who is hoping he'll be an arrogant prick? If he stays at UND 1 more year, does that mean he's an arrogant prick?

If he doesn't go to the Blackhawks this year, it's not because he'll be holding out to go to another team. It's because he wants 1 more year to develop, 1 more year to play with his buddies, and 1 more shot at a National Championship. He'll end up in Chicago whether it's this year or next.