SiouxSports.com Forum

Departures

siouxhockey5

Anyways, Diggler is right. Toews is gone. Oshie is 75/25 gone. Finley and Lee will be back. Chorney is 60/40 gone.

It was nice having them.

NEWS FLASH - We still have them. This just in, Toews, Oshie, Finley, Lee, Chorney and Duncan all 100% to kick some Wolverine ass at 5:30MT this Saturday. Enjoy the ride to #8. Hold off on the worrying until mid-April.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a North Carolina fan, I've learned to never believe/expect someone to come back. Sean May said he was coming back until he saw everyone else leaving (Williams, McCants, Felton). The same thing could happen for the Sioux. Unfortunately, there isn't a deadline for a player to decide in hockey like there is in basketball and football. With all the Carolina & Sioux defections in the last 10+ years, I've quit thinking about what the team could have been had so & so come back. The way I look at is how many students would come back for another year if they got offered a (very) high paying job before earning a degree?

As a North Carolina fan, I've learned to never believe/expect someone to come back. Sean May said he was coming back until he saw everyone else leaving (Williams, McCants, Felton). The same thing could happen for the Sioux. Unfortunately, there isn't a deadline for a player to decide in hockey like there is in basketball and football. With all the Carolina & Sioux defections in the last 10+ years, I've quit thinking about what the team could have been had so & so come back. The way I look at is how many students would come back for another year if they got offered a (very) high paying job before earning a degree?

aka, Matt Greene, Matt Smaby, Travis Zajac, Jordan Parise. all boys who said they would be back and low and behold three of them are playing in the NHL right now and one in the ahl. :angry: They are liars all of them. though that does explain why I have trouble believing anyone named Matt. :silly:

duncan is not drafted and he will most certainly be a 4 year player...like spirko. :silly:

Unfortunately the sad truth of the matter is that undrafted players almost never get a shot at the NHL. They do get signed, but spend their careers in the minors serving as filler to help develop the players that do get signed. The NHL scouts and teams have too much invested in their drafted players, and those are the ones that will get the shots. Talk to someone who is undrafted and in the minors, and you will hear the facts. However, that does not mean that Duncan won't ever sign. He certainly may, but being undrafted means he is an extremely long shot to ever get a chance in the NHL. Also, he could play in Europe.

Unfortunately the sad truth of the matter is that undrafted players almost never get a shot at the NHL. They do get signed, but spend their careers in the minors serving as filler to help develop the players that do get signed. The NHL scouts and teams have too much invested in their drafted players, and those are the ones that will get the shots. Talk to someone who is undrafted and in the minors, and you will hear the facts. However, that does not mean that Duncan won't ever sign. He certainly may, but being undrafted means he is an extremely long shot to ever get a chance in the NHL. Also, he could play in Europe.

Jason Blake did alright. :huh:

IMO, it's better to be a free agent than a later round pick. More options, and better $$$. Duncan will get offers from multiple teams, you just can't teach that wrister. Everyone in the rink knows where he going (short side top shelf), but nobody can stop it. :angry:

NEWS FLASH - We still have them. This just in, Toews, Oshie, Finley, Lee, Chorney and Duncan all 100% to kick some Wolverine ass at 5:30MT this Saturday. Enjoy the ride to #8. Hold off on the worrying until mid-April.

I actually like this guys line of thinking. Lets wait till the season is done in April before we worry about who is gone or not.

aka, Matt Greene, Matt Smaby, Travis Zajac, Jordan Parise. all boys who said they would be back and low and behold three of them are playing in the NHL right now and one in the ahl. :lol: They are liars all of them. though that does explain why I have trouble believing anyone named Matt. :angry:

the AHL is a big step up in talent overall from the NCAA, and i think we all knew jpar wouldnt be in the nhl anytime soon, he did what was right for him to get the best contract at the time....

and they cant just go out and say IM LEAVING, its simple PR.

lets beat those damn wolverines!!!!

aka, Matt Greene, Matt Smaby, Travis Zajac, Jordan Parise. all boys who said they would be back and low and behold three of them are playing in the NHL right now and one in the ahl. :( They are liars all of them. though that does explain why I have trouble believing anyone named Matt. :angry:

Matt Jones? :lol:

Any stats types have the time or energy or desire to breakdown Toews' production on NHL vs Olympic sized ice this season? Include the World Juniors on Olympic ice. I am guessing that it is a huge difference in points per game.

I don't know which way you're thinking the stats will lean, but from what I can gather he has a better PPG on NHL ice than on Olympic.

NHL ice- 25 games 13-20=33pts. 1.32ppg

Olympic ice- 15 games 8-9=17pts 1.13ppg (including 4-3=7 in 7 WJC games)

The numbers are very close.

I don't blame the guys for taking the deal when the deal is the best they'll get.

I do think that sometimes signing hasn't worked out for the best for some of the players. I found it interesting that Stafford said he wished he stayed. By my reckoning he's done pretty well for his first year pro.

Apparently some guy named Golf Guy in Hasting or something to that nature is saying that he talked to Chorney's dad and his dad said that Taylor isn't going anywhere that he isn't ready. I ussually don't believe message boards and formns but he kind of sound legit since he is from Hastings.

Apparently some guy named Golf Guy in Hasting or something to that nature is saying that he talked to Chorney's dad and his dad said that Taylor isn't going anywhere that he isn't ready. I ussually don't believe message boards and formns but he kind of sound legit since he is from Hastings.

...My best friend's sister's

boyfriend's brother's girlfriend -

- saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavours

last night I guess it's pretty serious...

:angry:

I know he is a senior but Elliot has signed with the Senators. I wonder if he will get a sniff with the Sens?

I suppose it will be with the AHL club.

yeah especially since Emery already doesnt get enough poaying time thanks to Gerber (jk jk). although i do distinctly remember he having a problem when he was on the Rangers when Lundqvist came in and basically took over his spot. Hence why he went to Ottawa (i think). So yeah, i would assume Elliot would be playing with Ottawa's AHL club.

I heard the Stafford interview and it was before Stafford had established himself(when he stood up for teammate in the brawl game) and had been on the yo-yo all season. He said that if you are not going to be in the NHL he thought a player could develop just as much at UND as they could in the AHL.

I heard rumors exactly opposite of this over the weekend in St. paul regarding Brian Lee??

As did I.

I think Toews will be gone as soon as the season ends (hopefully not until we've won #8). As for the rest:

Chorney I would say is a 70/30 to leave.

Lee 60/40

Oshie 50/50

Duncun 30/70

Finley will be back

I'm sure Oshie will get offered the cap, but I could see him staying. He seems to like the college life from what I hear, and he is a fan favorite.

I'm a little worried that Duncun will leave. The rest can go this year or next year and get the rookie cap, but he might feel after this year it's his best shot. I'm also a little worried that a couple players will decide to leave and the rest will follow. They are all from the same class and I would assume pretty good friends. On the upside maybe one will stay and the rest will also. If a guy like Toews or Chorney steps up and says he's staying early I think it could really increase the chances of the others staying.

Matt Jones? :(

only reason I didn't include him was he stayed until his senior year. so he didn't lie, but he is the only one. :angry: I am a big supporter of getting an education, but I seriously wouldn't tell any of them to not take the money if that is the max that they will get. I mean they will make more in one year than most of us will in like 5 yrs.

I'm a little worried that Duncun will leave. The rest can go this year or next year and get the rookie cap, but he might feel after this year it's his best shot. I'm also a little worried that a couple players will decide to leave and the rest will follow. They are all from the same class and I would assume pretty good friends. On the upside maybe one will stay and the rest will also. If a guy like Toews or Chorney steps up and says he's staying early I think it could really increase the chances of the others staying.

I'm not as worried about Duncan. He could leave this year, but I had a short conversation with a scout at the Final 5 and he said that teams seem to have some serious concerns about Duncan's size. He said that Ryan would probably play pro hockey, and may have a chance at the NHL at some time, but he didn't seem to think it would be any time soon. Of course, it only takes 1 team to give him a big offer.