SiouxSports.com Forum

Departures

siouxhockey5

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont forget brian lee is a possible goner. my predictions are: toews is the only goner with chorney a 50/50 and oshie a 65/35 to stay. dont ask how i came up with the predictions...its a very lengthy and scientific process. :silly:

dont forget brian lee is a possible goner. my predictions are: toews is the only goner with chorney a 50/50 and oshie a 65/35 to stay. dont ask how i came up with the predictions...its a very lengthy and scientific process. :silly:

At least they didn't mention Duncan or Okposo. Of course this article will will have No bearing on who actually signs when the season is over.

I am curious about JT leaving or not. I mean, if we don't win it this year, im wondering if he may stay one more year to try and get that #8 and try and win the WJC a third time. I am not the only one who thinks this, the view is shared by many. I wont be surprised if he leaves, especially because i expect Chicago to throw more money than last year at him. I'm thinking JT and JS on the same line will be as potent as the Zach Parise-Travis Zajac matchup.....once they get over their differences from college days lol.

I'll take Oshie as a lock to leave, but not necessarily a lock to make the big team. Especially if both Tkachuk and Guerin come back to St. Louis.

And i think Chorney is gone too.

As a number 3 overall, Toews would've been offered the rookie max contract under the CBA and that won't change this year. The only thing that would keep JT in green is if CHicago can not guarantee him a spot on the big club. Chicago is terrible, however, and JT with Havlat could be a great combo. JT will be gone.

TJ, I don't know yet where he fits ina nNHL lineup. He is a very physical player...sort of a Roenick kind of guy, my question is, is he strong enough to play that style over an 82-100 game season?

I was listening to Bernie Burgraff's "Face Off" this weekend on the radio. Take it for what it's worth, but he said that he'd be very surprised if Toews leaves. He said that he had an interview with Drew Stafford and Stafford said that he wishes he would have come back to UND and not left early. Burgraff then said that he made sure to send a tape of that interview to Hakstol so he could share it with Toews and the boys. He also said that he's talked with and interviewed Toews a few times and his feeling is that Toews will be back.

I personally feel that Toews is as good as gone, I'm just reporting what I heard this weekend.

I was listening to Bernie Burgraff's "Face Off" this weekend on the radio. Take it for what it's worth, but he said that he'd be very surprised if Toews leaves. He said that he had an interview with Drew Stafford and Stafford said that he wishes he would have come back to UND and not left early. Burgraff then said that he made sure to send a tape of that interview to Hakstol so he could share it with Toews and the boys. He also said that he's talked with and interviewed Toews a few times and his feeling is that Toews will be back.

I personally feel that Toews is as good as gone, I'm just reporting what I heard this weekend.

I for one like that report ! Hoping that it will come to be, imagine the DOT line together for one more year WOW :angry:

Did someone say #22 is a possible goner also??? Sioux you get 2 minutes for instigating :silly:

My only hope for Toews coming backup for another year is that he is still only 18 years old, won't turn 19 till after the season. Regardless of talent level, that is awfully young to be in the NHL. I think one more year in college would be very beneficial. icon1.gif

For TJ, I think it would be good to stay one more year and get even stonger. Not sure his style of play is conducive to the rigors of playing 80+ games in the NHL.

In reality, Towes is almost for sure gone, and Oshie is probably > 50% gone. Who knows, if Duncan wins the Hobey as a free agent, someone may try to sign him too. It sure would be fun to see this line together for one more season, but that is my selfishness as a fan.

I also think Chorney is gone and possibly Finley. I think the teams that have their rights may think they will develop better with their AHL team.

I am curious about JT leaving or not. I mean, if we don't win it this year, im wondering if he may stay one more year to try and get that #8 and try and win the WJC a third time. I am not the only one who thinks this, the view is shared by many. I wont be surprised if he leaves, especially because i expect Chicago to throw more money than last year at him. I'm thinking JT and JS on the same line will be as potent as the Zach Parise-Travis Zajac matchup.....once they get over their differences from college days lol.

I'll take Oshie as a lock to leave, but not necessarily a lock to make the big team. Especially if both Tkachuk and Guerin come back to St. Louis.

And i think Chorney is gone too.

toews is gone if we win it or not

oshie i say 68/32 gone

lee 50/50

chorney 50/50

duncan is staying

and all rookie max contracts are the same no matter who you are

To get a second year from Toews was a real gift. To ask for a third year is folly. If the Sioux don't win the regional I wouldn't be shocked to see him in the NHL this year. Of course your dealing with the Blackhawks so I guess anything is possible.

I expect to lost Toews and Oshie, and 1-2 D. There's no sane reason to expect Toews to return, and for Oshie it would seem so unlikely...If we could get one of them back it would be like winning the lottery, but why hope?

However, my biggest worry is Duncan. Whether he wins the Hobey or not, he may never be in a better negotiating position than at the end of this year. He's undrafted, I believe, and that means there could be a bidding battle for him.

It's not the guys who you expect to leave who hurt the worst.

I, for one, will sweat out the summer.

I have heard that TJ and JT have told each other that they will stay if the other one stays. If the Sioux win #8 I expect them to be gone, but if they don't it will be interesting to see what happens. If what I have heard is true, some people may be pleasantly surprised (Sioux fans). I do believe that Toews could stand another year of physically maturing before going pro. While he has good size, he is not as strong on his skates as I feel he should be for the pros (but then again, not everyone is an Oshie).

Chorney I have a concern about leaving. He is solid defensively and has developed an offensive upside. Finley I just don't know. He doesn't stand out on the ice, but his +/- is showing that quietly he is doing a good defensive job. I think that he is just beginning to show some offensive potential as well. He has a wrist shot from the point that is harder than some forwards slap shot. We just don't see it very often. But he did pinch down a few times at the Final Five which is a change from past performance.

As for Brian Lee, he has played much better the last 4-6 weeks than earlier in the season. However, what I am hearing may be a surprise to some people. Brian is turning out to be a student first and a hockey player second. I have heard rumblings that he is losing interest in hockey and may give it up. That would shock a number of people, but it may be a possibility. It wouldn't be the first time a player has done that, but it doesn't happen very often.

In the end, I would not be surprised to see all underclassmen back next year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some gone.

I expect to lost Toews and Oshie, and 1-2 D. There's no sane reason to expect Toews to return, and for Oshie it would seem so unlikely...If we could get one of them back it would be like winning the lottery, but why hope?

However, my biggest worry is Duncan. Whether he wins the Hobey or not, he may never be in a better negotiating position than at the end of this year. He's undrafted, I believe, and that means there could be a bidding battle for him.

It's not the guys who you expect to leave who hurt the worst.

I, for one, will sweat out the summer.

duncan is not drafted and he will most certainly be a 4 year player...like spirko. :silly:

i also dont really get the brian lee bashing here. he is a very good dman and i would be very surprised if he doesnt have an opportunity to sign. those that disagree...look at some other players who sign pro-lee would be an ahl'er for a little first though.

As for Brian Lee, he has played much better the last 4-6 weeks than earlier in the season. However, what I am hearing may be a surprise to some people. Brian is turning out to be a student first and a hockey player second. I have heard rumblings that he is losing interest in hockey and may give it up. That would shock a number of people, but it may be a possibility. It wouldn't be the first time a player has done that, but it doesn't happen very often.

If that were true he'd be crazy not to sign. Take the big signing bonus now and get out in a couple years.

If that were true he'd be crazy not to sign. Take the big signing bonus now and get out in a couple years.

Maybe Lee has been reading the boards. I mean, when how would you feel if, despite numerous other reasons, you were always blamed for everything bad that happens to the team? I'd probably not want that kind of weight on my shoulders.

"I love the Sioux except Brian Lee. I hope he leaves." WOW, what kind of Sioux fan is that?

Please.

Anyways, I hope he doesn't quit hockey. He's got such great potential and great skills. It's not easy playing for a fanbase like ours when you are a defenseman. And that draft position is killing his image because people can't see past it.

Whether he quits or leaves early, it will be a shame. But I'll enjoy immensely the posters that come on and say "Boy, we miss Brian Lee on the point during the Power Play" or Lee's penchant of being one of the better passers on the team gone.

Anyways, Diggler is right. Toews is gone. Oshie is 75/25 gone. Finley and Lee will be back. Chorney is 60/40 gone.

It was nice having them.

My only hope for Toews coming backup for another year is that he is still only 18 years old, won't turn 19 till after the season. Regardless of talent level, that is awfully young to be in the NHL. I think one more year in college would be very beneficial. icon1.gif

For TJ, I think it would be good to stay one more year and get even stonger. Not sure his style of play is conducive to the rigors of playing 80+ games in the NHL.

In reality, Towes is almost for sure gone, and Oshie is probably > 50% gone. Who knows, if Duncan wins the Hobey as a free agent, someone may try to sign him too. It sure would be fun to see this line together for one more season, but that is my selfishness as a fan.

I also think Chorney is gone and possibly Finley. I think the teams that have their rights may think they will develop better with their AHL team.

Well, I personally think he is gone. First, he is likely under some pressure from Chicago to sign.

Second, he knows how well Jordan Staal did this year. Johnny, being a very competative guy, will want to show everyone that he probably should have been picked before Staal at last year's draft. As for winning another WJC, he already has two, plus a World Under 18 and Under 17 World Championships. I think that's enough for one career.

Whether he quits or leaves early, it will be a shame. But I'll enjoy immensely the posters that come on and say "Boy, we miss Brian Lee on the point during the Power Play" or Lee's penchant of being one of the better passers on the team gone.

I would luv to be able to post those words about Brian ........... and maybe I will be able to after his senior year.

It is nice to hear at least some long shot possibilities of #7 and #9 coming back next year. #4 has had a great year and just might be gone too.

Let's hope the boys bring home the hardware from St. Louis and it will make for a much nicer off season speculating about next years roster.

Maybe Lee has been reading the boards. I mean, when how would you feel if, despite numerous other reasons, you were always blamed for everything bad that happens to the team? I'd probably not want that kind of weight on my shoulders.

"I love the Sioux except Brian Lee. I hope he leaves." WOW, what kind of Sioux fan is that?

Please.

Anyways, I hope he doesn't quit hockey. He's got such great potential and great skills. It's not easy playing for a fanbase like ours when you are a defenseman. And that draft position is killing his image because people can't see past it.

Anyways, Diggler is right. Toews is gone. Oshie is 75/25 gone. Finley and Lee will be back. Chorney is 60/40 gone.

It was nice having them.

well said. its amazing how much people seem to "love" the sioux yet hate some of the sioux players. especially one of the best players on the team