SiouxSports.com Forum

Departures

siouxhockey5

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.startribune.com/512/story/1131837.html

Johnson follows the decision made last year by center Phil Kessel to sign an NHL deal with the Boston Bruins after one season with the Gophers. Johnson's roommate and close friend Kyle Okposo is expected to sign shortly with the New York Islanders.

Lucia knew from the start of the season that Johnson probably would play only one season with the Gophers. At season's end he said his hopes were that either Johnson or junior Alex Goligoski would return to spearhead the defense.

Goligoski, a second-round draft pick of the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2004, is recovering from postseason shoulder surgery. He is expected to be fully recovered for the start of next season.

"Pittsburgh's season is still going on," Lucia said. "I know there have been some talks, but we'll see. If Alex elects to move on, we will deal with it."

That would be a big blow to the Gophers next season if they lose EJ, Okposo, and Goligoski in addition to Briggs and Vanelli.

Replacing your top 3 dmen and top netminder with freshmen can be a difficult transition.

I think the losses of those three will only be felt in the D. I think Minnesota brings in enough offensive talent every year to accomodate for forwards leaving early. They've just had trouble getting steady and decent defensive recruits. Goli and EJ were their best. Hagemo, IMO, would probably be as good as well if he could still play.

I think the losses of those three will only be felt in the D. I think Minnesota brings in enough offensive talent every year to accomodate for forwards leaving early. They've just had trouble getting steady and decent defensive recruits. Goli and EJ were their best. Hagemo, IMO, would probably be as good as well if he could still play.

If AG leaves, the Gophs lose over 100 points from the blueline (Vannelli, EJ, Goligoski).

All the concern is certainly appreciated. ;)

The Gophers broke in three freshmen defensemen back in '04-'05 and made the Frozen Four. No matter how many leave I'm still thinking they will put out a decent team.

Decent doesn't get you to the Frozen Four :(

Seriously - while the players coming in are good, I don't think it replaces the talent that is leaving. For example who will be running the point on the PP? Who will play against the opposition's best line?

Too bad you can't trade in college hockey - we could work a deal for one of our D for a Gopher forward.

All the concern is certainly appreciated. :(

The Gophers broke in three freshmen defensemen back in '04-'05 and made the Frozen Four. No matter how many leave I'm still thinking they will put out a decent team.

knowone is saying they wont be good. they have a very good class coming in as always....just pointing out realistic facts...;)

All the concern is certainly appreciated. ;)

oh yeah, and really no concern :( this is a departures thread for any team. see ya KO............. :(

Have I missed the announcement of a returning player... or is this just inaccurate information?

10 Questions for 2007-2008

Never mind who's turning pro early: Which players will follow the leads of T.J. Hensick and Brian Boyle and shun the pros for another year in college?

We've already received some answers to this one, with North Dakota stalwarts T.J. Oshie, Brian Lee and Joe Finley stating for the record that they'll be back in Grand Forks.

• 2 weeks later...

im not sure on the reliability of this, but on GPL someone said that okposo moved out of the dorms(even though its the end of the year) and gave his couch away because he said he wouldnt need it since hes going pro next year. it sounds a little strange to me, but who knows.

im not sure on the reliability of this, but on GPL someone said that okposo moved out of the dorms(even though its the end of the year) and gave his couch away because he said he wouldnt need it since hes going pro next year. it sounds a little strange to me, but who knows.

i thought him and ej were gone for sure, now i can see AG saying see ya as well but he does have that injury hes battling through so that may keep him at umtc for 1 more season

Don't forget what Zach Parise said in a Sioux Illustrate interview:

SI: Are you aware of the thousands of experts on Internet message boards who seem to have it down to the minute as to when you'll be leaving UND?

ZP: Yeah, these people on the message boards think they know everything - they should be coaching. Some of the stuff that's said on there is pretty stupid and you're almost wasting your time reading it.

If Zach hadn't almost been wasting his time, he wouldn't have known what good coaches we are. ;):ohmy: