SiouxSports.com Forum

Oshie, Toews, Bina trouble

proudsioux

Sioux Hab-it,

Why don't you answer Bucky's question. Sioux fans ripped on Lucia for handling it internally and now Haxstol does the same thing (which he should). As for apples to oranges comparison, I would say Bina's charge with Obstruction is alittle more serious than what the Gopher players were charged with.

The difference between the two incidents (Blarneys and Judy's) is that the Toews, Oshie, Bina incident revolved around individuals where as the Blarney incident revolved around NCAA infractions as well as underage drinking. In both cases the bar owners and the players used poor judgement.

As you trolls like to say, "have you got proof of the obstruction you are speaking of" or were you there. Didn't think so "Back to the Loch with you Nessie". :)

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look folks, none of us know the whole story. That piece on DAZ made it look worse than it actually is. To say there are no consequences is not true though. They will be dealt with, that there is no doubt. I see this as nothing but an overreaction, just like when Greene got his dui. I garantee there are better things for us to be discussing. I'm sure the boys feel bad enough about the situation, they don't need a bunch of know-it-alls on a fan message board dragging it on and on and on. Maybe we need to do what they are, recognize the mistake, accept the punishment, learn from it, and move on. I for one am still supporting these guys, cause I truly believe they are good young men that made a mistake. Again I don't know the whole story, but I know they will have consequences to their actions. We can all be sure of that. Let's not be a part of making it worse for them.

All of us want to see these young men be successful, which they will be. The reaction on the board reflects how much people care about this program, that's my read on it. I am still on board the "Feel the Love" tour. Where's that t-shirt? :):)

(Ducking to avoid inevitable barrage of thrown objects and invictives)

I find myself agreeing somewhat with Bucky on this. There were many, many posters here jumping up on their soapboxes blasting the Gophers program and tDon for sweeping the whole Blarneys deal under the rug. And now when three of "our own" are in a bit of trouble some of the same people are pooh-poohing any sugestion of suspension for the players involved.

No, this incident is not the same as the Blarneys situation. Nonetheless, three very public figures in Grand Forks have been (apparently) cited for offenses and there ought to be consequences. "We" tend to think of our beloved Fighting Sioux program as morally and ethically on higher ground than many of our rivals; please don't be hyprocrites and try to split hairs in this instance. You only add fuel to the Skippys of the world.

And before anyone labels me a traitor, keep in mind that I've been a bleed-green UND hockey fan for longer than many of you have been alive!

Look folks, none of us know the whole story. That piece on DAZ made it look worse than it actually is. To say there are no consequences is not true though. They will be dealt with, that there is no doubt. I see this as nothing but an overreaction, just like when Greene got his dui. I garantee there are better things for us to be discussing. I'm sure the boys feel bad enough about the situation, they don't need a bunch of know-it-alls on a fan message board dragging it on and on and on. Maybe we need to do what they are, recognize the mistake, accept the punishment, learn from it, and move on. I for one am still supporting these guys, cause I truly believe they are good young men that made a mistake. Again I don't know the whole story, but I know they will have consequences to their actions. We can all be sure of that. Let's not be a part of making it worse for them.

Why are people who believe in consequences not supportive?

Missing a game wouldn't harm these kids in the long run, it may help.

All of us want to see these young men be successful, which they will be. The reaction on the board reflects how much people care about this program, that's my read on it. I am still on board the "Feel the Love" tour. Where's that t-shirt? :):)

You're not only still on the tour. I'm giving you a key for the "special" room in the back of the bus. Reseved only for VIP's, dignitarie's, and a few wacko's like myself.

(Ducking to avoid inevitable barrage of thrown objects and invictives)

I find myself agreeing somewhat with Bucky on this. There were many, many posters here jumping up on their soapboxes blasting the Gophers program and tDon for sweeping the whole Blarneys deal under the rug. And now when three of "our own" are in a bit of trouble some of the same people are pooh-poohing any sugestion of suspension for the players involved.

No, this incident is not the same as the Blarneys situation. Nonetheless, three very public figures in Grand Forks have been (apparently) cited for offenses and there ought to be consequences. "We" tend to think of our beloved Fighting Sioux program as morally and ethically on higher ground than many of our rivals; please don't be hyprocrites and try to split hairs in this instance. You only add fuel to the Skippys of the world.

We need to find you a good dry cleaner quick, to try and remove that brown stain. :)

Why are people who believe in consequences not supportive?

Missing a game wouldn't harm these kids in the long run, it may help.

Tell me this, are citation's, court date's, fine's, public embarrasment on local TV, punishment by coaches/university personal, not consequences? I fully support what law enforcement and the coaching staff has done/will do. But why do you think it requires more punishment than that? How about they both give up an eye, a kidney, and a testicle as part of their punishment, I mean what the hell they have two of each of them. It's the least they could do for what they have done.

I for one am still supporting these guys, cause I truly believe they are good young men that made a mistake. Again I don't know the whole story, but I know they will have consequences to their actions. We can all be sure of that. Let's not be a part of making it worse for them.

Suggesting that a one-game suspension is appropriate consequence is not being un-supportive of the players involved.

Tell me this, are citation's, court date's, fine's, public embarrasment on local TV, punishment by coaches/university personal, not consequences? I fully support what law enforcement and the coaching staff has done/will do. But why do you think it requires more punishment than that? How about they both give up an eye, a kidney, and a testicle as part of their punishment, I mean what the hell they have two of each of them. It's the least they could do for what they have done.

Missing a game, most miss a game occasionally from injuries, illness. Consider this a mental injury(judgement) that needs a little time to heal.

Whatever their punishment(s), they brought it on themselves.

And I agree with mikejm's post: UND fans who jumped all over Minnesota and Lucia over Blarney's, had better put down their rocks now. :)

To say there are no consequences is not true though. They will be dealt with, that there is no doubt.

When Lucia said he will handle it internally Sioux fans questioned whether or not he actually ever punished them just because the punishments were never made public. More than one Sioux fan on here, TRIOUXPER included, already has said that "nothing" was done to the Gopher players who were caught. But Hakstol says he will handle it internally and THETRIOUXPER has "no doubt" they will be punished. At least you guys have learned how to be objective. :)

Again, I don't think this is a big story and I don't think it warrants game suspensions. Underage college athletes at a bar happens everywhere, it's just a matter of getting caught. But it's funny how Sioux fans have taken the opposite side of the argument they were on last year when it involved Lucia and the Gophers.

When Lucia said he will handle it internally Sioux fans questioned whether or not he actually ever punished them just because the punishments were never made public. More than one Sioux fan on here, TRIOUXPER included, already has said that "nothing" was done to the Gopher players who were caught. But Hakstol says he will handle it internally and THETRIOUXPER has "no doubt" they will be punished. At least you guys have learned how to be objective. :)

Again, I don't think this is a big story and I don't think it warrants game suspensions. Underage college athletes at a bar happens everywhere, it's just a matter of getting caught. But it's funny how Sioux fans have taken the opposite side of the argument they were on last year when it involved Lucia and the Gophers.

Hey, asshole, I said the same thing about the blarney's deal. Let the punishment fit the crime, whatever it may be, then move on. Go check my posts before you tell me what I said.

Don't you just love speculating? Until we know the facts, we don't know what, if any, laws/codes/ordinances were possibly broken. If they were drinking, sitting a game makes sense since they would have broken the law, and they are public figures. If they were on premises w/out drinking, some community service makes sense. Bina's involvement is at a different level than T/O's.

This is borderline ridiculous--ahh take that back it is ridiculous. This is an under-age consumption of alcohol. Big bleepin deal. Happens all the time. I do think that Toews & Oshie should have known better. Everybody knows who these guys are it's GRAND FORKS for god's sake. Matt Green's dui is 100 times worse than this. Damn, if I put on a performance like these 2 did last weekend I would go out and celebrate to. For that JT & TJ I am in your corner( unless Hackstoll wants to suspend them for the rest of the season so the Gophers could actually win a meaningless 3rd place game at the X :) )

Blarney's to Judy's is not apples and oranges YET. If through an investigation that Judy's has been the Blarney's of Grand Forks, that might have rise to some concern. If this was an isolated incident then pay the damn fine and move on. Do the partying and celebrating in a house.

If I am a potential Canadian recruit reading the @#$* some of you are posting in this thread I would have second thoughts about the CHL option instead. Sorry but a citation for getting caught in a bar at age 18 and older is not going to be taken seriously by any Canadian kid that I have ever known. The punishments and consequences some of you are suggesting for something so minor could get you an unfortunate response from a player like "C ya".

However, getting freebies and kickbacks that you aren't entitled to will get you kicked out of most Canadian organizations too. Like it or not the two issues are Apples and Oranges.

Don't you just love speculating? Until we know the facts, we don't know what, if any, laws/codes/ordinances were possibly broken. If they were drinking, sitting a game makes sense since they would have broken the law, and they are public figures. If they were on premises w/out drinking, some community service makes sense. Bina's involvement is at a different level than T/O's.

For the one millionth time already. Being publically arrested, cited, probably a court appearance with a fine, embarrased in the local media, punished by coaching staff are all consequences. Yes, they did wrong, yes they got caught. No one is denying that and no one is running from the consequences of their actions. What more should be done? Please, all you so called experts, tell me what should be done that hasn't already been done to these guys? There may be more punishment to come, who knows. Will all of you be satisfied either way? If they have to sit will you all be happy? If there are no more actions taken will you all be happy? For the love of God people let's use our goddamn heads here.

For the one millionth time already. Being publically arrested, cited, probably a court appearance with a fine, embarrased in the local media, punished by coaching staff are all consequences. Yes, they did wrong, yes they got caught. No one is denying that and no one is running from the consequences of their actions. What more should be done? Please, all you so called experts, tell me what should be done that hasn't already been done to these guys? There may be more punishment to come, who knows. Will all of you be satisfied either way? If they have to sit will you all be happy? If there are no more actions taken will you all be happy? For the love of God people let's use our goddamn heads here.

I think that some of us are looking at it from a parents perspective and some of us are looking at it from a 20 year olds perspective. You are relating to the players, I am relating to the coaches. Neither is wrong just different.

I think that some of us are looking at it from a parents perspective and some of us are looking at it from a 20 year olds perspective. You are relating to the players, I am relating to the coaches. Neither is wrong just different.

Hak is also from the land of beer :) .

Hey, asshole, I said the same thing about the blarney's deal. Let the punishment fit the crime, whatever it may be, then move on. Go check my posts before you tell me what I said.

I agree...let the punishment fit the crime.

First off.....there was NO minor consumption by TJ or JT, or at leaset they were not cited for it, unless the news was not reported factually. Bina is a bit of different deal, but to what extent. we don't know.

But yes, this is A LOT different then the whole Blarney's deal. There were NO law enforement agencies involved with the Blarney thing AT ALL. No one was given a citataion of any nature.

Doesn't mean that those people weren't stupid for being in that position, but LEGALLY nothing happened.

And BTW.......there WERE consequences for those who were involved. They were not made public knowledge, and that's how it should be.

If I am a potential Canadian recruit reading the @#$* some of you are posting in this thread I would have second thoughts about the CHL option instead. Sorry but a citation for getting caught in a bar at age 18 and older is not going to be taken seriously by any Canadian kid that I have ever known. The punishments and consequences some of you are suggesting for something so minor could get you an unfortunate response from a player like "C ya".

However, getting freebies and kickbacks that you aren't entitled to will get you kicked out of most Canadian organizations too. Like it or not the two issues are Apples and Oranges.

We don't really know yet. Maybe Judy's has been giving freebies & kickbacks for the hockey players. That is the last thing UND needs right now is potential ncaa sanctions. Like I said, if this was an isolated incident then it is clearly not apples to oranges

The problem with incidents such as this is that I think most people probably agree more than they disagree but it's hard to convey that in a message board. It's ridiculous to mock someone that thinks a 1-game suspension is warranted, but at the same time I don't blame people that think this all amounts to 'nothing' - personally I think it lies somewhere in between.

I wanted to see the Gophers involved in the Blarney's deal suspended for a game or two simply because I thought it would send a message the rest of that season - regardless of whether or not they fully 'deserved' a suspension. Outside of what courts rule on in criminal cases where punishment is often mandated, there's no such thing as a 'deserved' punishment for something like this because it's so completely subjective. One man's pleasure is another man's poison or however the saying goes.

I will take exception to one piece of this whole puzzle - I think it's foolish to dimiss Oshie and Toews' 'being there' tickets by someone that thinks underage drinking in public is wrong. If they had been busted for actually drinking you know darn well the bar would get moved again to, "everybody does it". Personally I reserve judgement until they day I catch my own boys doing it to make sure I'm consistent. :)

All in all Hak and UND should handle this internally and I don't think they (Oshie and Toews) deserve anything more than Hak and UND think they deserve - unless it's something outrageous like a several game suspension. Bina should only be scrutinized once the facts come out.

We don't really know yet. Maybe Judy's has been giving freebies & kickbacks for the hockey players. That is the last thing UND needs right now is potential ncaa sanctions. Like I said, if this was an isolated incident then it is clearly not apples to oranges

The word that matters most in every Skippy's life, MAYBE. Dare to dream Skippy, dare to dream.