SiouxSports.com Forum

Oshie, Toews, Bina trouble

proudsioux

I'm not saying throw the boys to the wolves. BUT they are under-aged and to go to a bar where 'everyone knows your name' and face is not the smartest thing to do. Some closet Goofy fan obviously turned them in. Judy's is not the type of bar that the city police or campus police bust on a routine basis. As Siouxmama said, high school athletes face discipline when they break the rules. IMHO, so should college students.

Just because you're a college athlete doesn't mean your above the rules everyone has to follow. Hopefully a fine and 'in-house discipline' is all they will get. I love both those boys for their talent and what they have brought to the Fighting Sioux hockey program and I will be in line to get their autographs again because of it. I will always cheer for them. I've met T.J. and like him as a person and I like what I have seen of Jonathon as well. I still think they need to follow the rules or face the consequences, whatever they may be.

You can tell who is level headed and see can the larger picture, and get past the short term hero worship. They probably are good kids, some consequences will continue the development of the citizen part of their life. I occasionally work with ex-jocks, most are great, but some (many years after playing) still think rules are for other people. Nice post.

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully there's no more to the story than we already know. If so, it's a relatively minor situation, no pun intended.

The players need to be smarter about their behavior. One thing the team and these individual players don't really need right now is this sort of avoidable distraction.

This is an opportunity for UND and the hockey program to prove something. If the story is true JT and TJ (and Bina) need to be punished and the incident NOT swept under the rug the way many other schools might tend to attempt. I hate to say it, but the boys should sit a game or two and the team pay the consequences. Any less puts the Fighting Sioux in the cesspool with too many other athletic programs.

Agreed, mikejm. Set up or not, these guys should have known better than to put themselves in that position. As a supporter and alum of UND, I'm embarrassed to hear "obstruction of justice" mentioned in the same breath as one of our student athletes.

I think Hak should sit all 3 for the first Mankato game.

I agree. They did something they were not supposed to do and is against the law. Doesnt matter if JT is old enough to drink in Canada or not. He was here. Sit the 3 of them for a game, and get on with it.

This is an opportunity for UND and the hockey program to prove something. If the story is true JT and TJ (and Bina) need to be punished and the incident NOT swept under the rug the way many other schools might tend to attempt. I hate to say it, but the boys should sit a game or two and the team pay the consequences. Any less puts the Fighting Sioux in the cesspool with too many other athletic programs.

When recruiting, coaches develop reputations for how much they emphasize acedemics and behavior. They will all say the correct things when recruiting, to Mom and Dad. But some coaches actions match thier words and some don't. This does matter to many parents, some schools that have trouble recruiting is primarily become the coach has a reputation for only caring about on-ice issues. Blais had a very positive reputation for caring about school and off-ice behavior. Hakstol is developing the same reputation, because of the players profile this will either add or detract from that reputation.

When recruiting, coaches develop reputations for how much they emphasize acedemics and behavior. They will all say the correct things when recruiting, to Mom and Dad. But some coaches actions match thier words and some don't. This does matter to many parents, some schools that have trouble recruiting is primarily become the coach has a reputation for only caring about on-ice issues. Blais had a very positive reputation for caring about school and off-ice behavior. Hakstol is developing the same reputation, because of the players profile this will either add or detract from that reputation.

A big beautiful building, and handfuls of players in the NHL I'm sure have nothing to do with recruiting.

It should be handled the same way Lucia handled the Blarney underage drinking scandal....do nothing.

What concerns me is the consequences suffered as a result of an off-ice distraction. We've all waited the entire season to see our boys perform up to their capability and give us optimism heading into post season, and then this crap happens!

I hope it doesn't de-rail our momentum.

Campion had to have been either wearing the badge or producing the WDAZ segment. I'm sure of it. :silly:

Hakstol will look at the big picture and decide if these boys deserve to sit a game or if they should simply work off their punishment. Players who committed assault or received a DUI were sat down for a game or a non-conference series, should these guys punishment really rival those crimes in any way?

A little word of advice...Dont always take the media seriously...or never take them seriously I should say. It sounds worse than it really is(we dont know the whole story and probably wont, other than the mindless medias side of it). Its not like it said..Bina, stabs a police officer! Obstruction is probably harmless in this story, and thanks to the media and fellow law enforcement, they blew it out of proportion :D

Isn't this all public record, if thats the case the police report will tell the entire story. And some mugshots, haha.

Two UND men's hockey players were cited for being minors in a bar and another player could be charged with obstructing a police officer, WDAZ-TV reported Wednesday.

If you read what WDAZ reported, it says they were minors in a bar, not that they were minors in consumption. It is still against the law, but it could take the edge off a bit.

As for Robbie Bina and the obstruction charge. It could be something as minor as trying to hustle them out the back door as quick as he could too.

Sometimes the news and the police reports get a bit carried away. Who knows?

well greene got 1 game for a dui, since all this so far is a minor being in a bar it does not merit a suspension of any kind

2 games is ridiculious, 1 may be coming but thats what we will find out soon

this really isnt a big deal

That punishment does not fit the crime a minor in consumption is minor offense, big whoppie te do. I can't believe that some are suggesting that they sit for a game. For starts the Gophers had most of a hockey team in a bar and a major scandle with underage drinking and tickets being given out and all they got was a news story. One player was sat after after he failed to pay his bar tab a year later.

Hakstol will look at the big picture and decide if these boys deserve to sit a game or if they should simply work off their punishment. Players who committed assault or received a DUI were sat down for a game or a non-conference series, should these guys punishment really rival those crimes in any way?

Non-athlete college students pay their fines for minors and continue on; no school or event suspensions. Don't know why athletes should be any different.

I don't think they should sit at alll. Underage drinking is a minor offense in my book, comparable to a parking ticket. Tell them not to do it, maybe make them do something in the community if you really want them to, but don't suspend them over this. :silly:

Wow, I must be an old fart. Has it really come to this, "comparable to a parking ticket?". I was no angel back in the day....minor was a bigger deal than a parking ticket. No one is saying the boys are axe murderers.....but there needs to be consequences. That is for the law enforcement system and the coaching staff to decide. I'd like to get back to the business of winning hockey games as much as anyone else here. Hakstol's going to earn his money on this one...that's for sure.

A big beautiful building, and handfuls of players in the NHL I'm sure have nothing to do with recruiting.

Which is what Denver, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan all have. But you also have the weather. The kids in town for the AAA midget tournament all they remember was how freakin' cold it was. Parents, believe it or not, know that many kids will never see the NHL, they hope their kid will enjoy the experience at college, get an education, and grow into the adult part of their life.

well greene got 1 game for a dui, since all this so far is a minor being in a bar it does not merit a suspension of any kind

2 games is ridiculious, 1 may be coming but thats what we will find out soon

this really isnt a big deal

Any idea of like a 1 or 2 period benching, challenge the team, how do they react?

Wow, I must be an old fart. Has it really come to this, "comparable to a parking ticket?". I was no angel back in the day....minor was a bigger deal than a parking ticket. No one is saying the boys are axe murderers.....but there needs to be consequences. That is for the law enforcement system and the coaching staff to decide. I'd like to get back to the business of winning hockey games as much as anyone else here. Hakstol's going to earn his money on this one...that's for sure.

earn his money?? how so, they were ticketed for sitting in a bar underage so far, no fights, no dui, nothing for these 2....OVERBLOWN fo sho, oh well we all have our opinions and thats great but this is NOT A BIG DEAL