SiouxSports.com Forum

Oshie, Toews, Bina trouble

proudsioux

I dont even no why the cops would put them in the back of cop cars anyways. For all my minors all i did was blow, they wrote me a ticket dumped out my beer i ahd in hand and sent me on my way. Only one kid i ever known got put in a cope car for a minorw as cuz he ran fro eh cops.

Based on this post, I think you might get asked to blow again. :)

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont even no why the cops would put them in the back of cop cars anyways. For all my minors all i did was blow, they wrote me a ticket dumped out my beer i ahd in hand and sent me on my way. Only one kid i ever known got put in a cope car for a minorw as cuz he ran fro eh cops.

I suspect you're in the middle of consumption right now with a post like that! My head hurts.....

Geeze. How many did you have? I wouldnt think after more than 1 they'd send you on your merry way, unless you live in Mayberry. In that case, I'd say "Otis, get the hell back in your cell!"

triouxper: aside from the players being officially cited and the quasi-public discussion here, nothing has been "done" to these guys. The University and Coach Hak will do the "doing" beyond the legal system.

And to suggest that I am seeking "satisfaction" or "happiness" by suggesting they sit for a game is assigning me the wrong sentiment. Right is right and wrong is wrong. The young men have apparently broken a law and they'll be punished. That makes me neither happy nor satisfied; to the contrary it disappoints me greatly. I hope this is an instance of youthful indiscretion and not a manifestation of some sense of entitlement that we hero-worshipping fans may have fostered in student athletes.

There have been some comments here that the punishment fit the crime; that a monetary fine and community service are plenty. That's easy. The problem with that attitude is that these young men have attained a lofty status in Grand Forks, and possibly farther afield. There are countless young people (and perhaps several adults) who see these guys as heroes and role models. If these kids see that their heroes can break a law and pay (essentially) no consequence, what impression has been made? That it is permissible for a minor to be in a bar? That a hockey star needn't heed the law? That if an infraction occurs, the super-star gets off with barely a slap on the wrist?

I find it laughable that so many here wish to give this a pass but are willing to throw the book at a player at some other school who runs afoul of the law. Admitedly, this is NOT as big a deal as were Greene's duey or Jake's pull tab deal. But to call it nothing is to ignore just how much influence this program and these young men have on the community.

Stepping down from soap box

Mike, with all due respect, cause you know I love you man, I just think people are overreacting. I'm not arguing that they were not wrong and should not be punished accordingly. However, people contiue to bring up the fact that they need to face "consequences" for their behavior. I'm merely pointing out that they have already, and will face said "consequences". Whatever it is, they have to accept it, as well as us.

Indecent exposure??? Funny you'd choose to throw that in there....don't tell your therapist, they'd have a field day with that.

Actually indecent exposure is something the hockey team has dealt with this season, just think back early in the season

the punishment should fit the (if any) crime. Obviously college kids drink and will do stuff like this. After the Blarney's incident I don't think many of you UND fans were not as forgiving of some of the Gopher players, even tho they may or may not have been guilty of the same "crime". Yes, the Blarney's incident is a bit different for certain individuals, but if the kids did something wrong they should treated like any other college student, regardless of any team affiliation. Regardless, I doubt anything will happen except for Bina, what he did, DID cross a line.

W

My last minor in possession was in 1977 and I paid a $20 forfeiture to Richland County. This is much ado about not a thing. Robbie and the cops reminds me of a law school classmate who tried to educate the Grand Forks cops about the constitution and spent the night in the pokey. If you can open the door of a squad to talk to your teammates, more power to you. The cops should have been guarding their prisoners better. Isn't that a non-criminal violation still?

Mike, with all due respect, cause you know I love you man, I just think people are overreacting. I'm not arguing that they were not wrong and should not be punished accordingly. However, people contiue to bring up the fact that they need to face "consequences" for their behavior. I'm merely pointing out that they have already, and will face said "consequences". Whatever it is, they have to accept it, as well as us.

:)

Perhaps I'm overreacting; if so, I'm sorry. I took a spin over to GPL and I'm surprised at the number of regular posters there who are calling this a "non-story". I trust Hak will do what is best for the team and the young men involved. (Most likely involving innumerable herbies!0

That's really pretty good typing for a person with a beer in one hand.

My daughter went thru this over a yr ago (at 20) was in a Bar & the cops came in & cuffed her & took her away & it was $600 to bail her out (parents have some cash on hand your going to need it cause they don't take checks or CC) thats why we finally got called (none of her "friends" had the cash) - & in court it cost her around $300

PCM must be out cause he has the whole story on Robbie now (in a PM)

Robbie does not deserve to have his name (& Exceptional) year, tarnished one bit :)

My daughter went thru this over a yr ago (at 20) was in a Bar & the cops came in & cuffed her & took her away & it was $600 to bail her out (parents have some cash on hand your going to need it cause they don't take checks or CC) thats why we finally got called (none of her "friends" had the cash) - & in court it cost her around $300

PCM must be out cause he has the whole story on Robbie now (in a PM)

What do you mean?

(Ducking to avoid inevitable barrage of thrown objects and invictives)

I find myself agreeing somewhat with Bucky on this. There were many, many posters here jumping up on their soapboxes blasting the Gophers program and tDon for sweeping the whole Blarneys deal under the rug. And now when three of "our own" are in a bit of trouble some of the same people are pooh-poohing any sugestion of suspension for the players involved.

No, this incident is not the same as the Blarneys situation. Nonetheless, three very public figures in Grand Forks have been (apparently) cited for offenses and there ought to be consequences. "We" tend to think of our beloved Fighting Sioux program as morally and ethically on higher ground than many of our rivals; please don't be hyprocrites and try to split hairs in this instance. You only add fuel to the Skippys of the world.

And before anyone labels me a traitor, keep in mind that I've been a bleed-green UND hockey fan for longer than many of you have been alive!

I understand your point but I don't know if the seriousness of this offense warrants a suspension. I guess none of us know the underlying dynamics, but when Parise got his minor on premises I don't believe he was suspended. And I would believe there are plenty of athletes of the Sioux or Gopher or Pioneer or even SCSU programs who get minor consumptions and no one ever hears about them. In that respect if consistency means this is handled "in private" that's fine with me.

This whole incident has disappointed me. Yes, it's still illegal to drink under the age of 21 no matter who you are! Drinking and driving...even better...It's always someone else's fault....Suck it up and take the punishment. These players need to remember that people(but mostly kids)look up to them. It's a wonderful example....let's make the kids think it's alright...

After a long week of prayers and sleepless nights following a family friend's daughter(16 yr old) who got into a car with someone(19 years old) that was enebriated at 7:00 am last Saturday...saying he was taking her for breakfast. After hitting a tree...the driver died at the scene and the girl was in critical condition.

None of this is funny or acceptable.

You should take that inside, I think your keyboard is frozen

I gotta be honest, I'm alot more pissed at the way DAZ presented the story. Hey Sweeney, a word of caution to you: next time you are watching practice in the lower bowl, and you take a puck to the mind, don't be so sure it was merely an "accident." :)

We get it, the local media should only report things if they make people you idolize look better.

What do you mean?

What it means is that there's the truth about what really happened and a whole lot of speculation and rumor being posted here about what might have happened. I don't know what really happened because I wasn't there and I haven't talked to anyone who was actually there. What I do know is that people who are close to the situation are telling me things that don't jibe with the assumptions that some here are making.

If what I'm being told is true, then I will be surprised if Robbie Bina is charged with anything.

We get it, the local media should only report things if they make people you idolize look better.

No, that's not it. I'm a 36 yr old man, "idolize" is not the right word. The media (wdaz) blew the story way out of proportion, whether you think they did or not. I don't think they desrve special treatment by any means, but equal treatment as any one else is not too much to ask. I guarantee there have been other incidents with other athletes this year and in years past that have never surfaced in the media. I'm sure next time there is an autograph session you'll be standing in line with your kids and all of their stick's, puck's and jersey's. Patiently you'll wait to get the chance to take a picture and get your kid's stuffed signed by one of those guys. They will pose for the picture so you can make your stupid family christmas card out of it, sign you kid's s&!t, and you'll walk away smiling, like the rest of the "fair-weather idiots." Just like nothing ever happened.