SiouxSports.com Forum

Oshie, Toews, Bina trouble

proudsioux

The problem with incidents such as this is that I think most people probably agree more than they disagree but it's hard to convey that in a message board. It's ridiculous to mock someone that thinks a 1-game suspension is warranted, but at the same time I don't blame people that think this all amounts to 'nothing' - personally I think it lies somewhere in between.

A status offense doesn't warrant a one or two game suspension. Secondly if anything obstructing a police officer probably does if true.

Second Recieving kick backs for free drinks is more wrong than underage drinking. I don't think that either team should sit their

player for a stupid knuckleheaded offense that ammounts to nothing. DUI, fighting in bars, indecent exposure etc are more serious and warrant such types of

punishments.

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please, all you so called experts, tell me what should be done that hasn't already been done to these guys? There may be more punishment to come, who knows. Will all of you be satisfied either way? If they have to sit will you all be happy? If there are no more actions taken will you all be happy? For the love of God people let's use our goddamn heads here.

triouxper: aside from the players being officially cited and the quasi-public discussion here, nothing has been "done" to these guys. The University and Coach Hak will do the "doing" beyond the legal system.

And to suggest that I am seeking "satisfaction" or "happiness" by suggesting they sit for a game is assigning me the wrong sentiment. Right is right and wrong is wrong. The young men have apparently broken a law and they'll be punished. That makes me neither happy nor satisfied; to the contrary it disappoints me greatly. I hope this is an instance of youthful indiscretion and not a manifestation of some sense of entitlement that we hero-worshipping fans may have fostered in student athletes.

There have been some comments here that the punishment fit the crime; that a monetary fine and community service are plenty. That's easy. The problem with that attitude is that these young men have attained a lofty status in Grand Forks, and possibly farther afield. There are countless young people (and perhaps several adults) who see these guys as heroes and role models. If these kids see that their heroes can break a law and pay (essentially) no consequence, what impression has been made? That it is permissible for a minor to be in a bar? That a hockey star needn't heed the law? That if an infraction occurs, the super-star gets off with barely a slap on the wrist?

I find it laughable that so many here wish to give this a pass but are willing to throw the book at a player at some other school who runs afoul of the law. Admitedly, this is NOT as big a deal as were Greene's duey or Jake's pull tab deal. But to call it nothing is to ignore just how much influence this program and these young men have on the community.

Stepping down from soap box

Innocent until proven guilty. They need to go to court first, which will just be before a judge and he/she will decide their punishment if they are found guilty. It's possible court won't be until after the hockey season.

I find it laughable that so many here wish to give this a pass but are willing to throw the book at a player at some other school who runs afoul of the law. Admitedly, this is NOT as big a deal as were Greene's duey or Jake's pull tab deal. But to call it nothing is to ignore just how much influence this program and these young men have on the community.

I'd say "agreed," but then The Sicatoka would hit me with a frivolous copyright infringement lawsuit. And who needs that? :)

Does anybody know if UND has a policy in place for things like this? I know the High School Athletic Association does, but this applies to (most) people that have already reached the age of 18, and are considered adults in most aspects.

Perhaps the policy is for the punishment to be left up to the coaches.

Does anybody know if UND has a policy in place for things like this? I know the High School Athletic Association does, but this applies to (most) people that have already reached the age of 18, and are considered adults in most aspects.

Perhaps the policy is for the punishment to be left up to the coaches.

From what has been said, I assume that it is left up to the coach. I don't think there is an NCAA policy on it. I don't remember ZPar sitting out any games, and I don't remember any punishements in the Blarney ordeal.

However, I do accept the fact that these three may have to deal with punishment, whether it be a slap on the wrist or game suspensions. We are all going to have to accept that fate. My biggest issue is that these kids jeopardized themselves being put in that situation when they went into the bar that night. There is no reason that they shouldn't know better.

Maybe it does maybe it doesn't - again such an opinion is completely subjective and the only opinion that matters is that of Hak and UND staffers.

My phiolosphy is is if your old enough to vote or serve in the military your old enough to drink in the Goon's opinion.

I think that Europe get it. When I was in Germany if you were old enough to get into the bar I belive probably at age 16 you could drink.

At 1200 if the Poliezi came into the bar and you were under 18 years old you it sucked to be you.

I find it amusing that fans of each team's get into this same discussion every time a player on a rival team gets in trouble, UND fans included. It unfortunately happens and i'm sure no game suspensions will come of this. it didn't happen in minnesota with blarney's. ZPar didn't get any suspension. Did Eaves get a suspension for roughing up one of his players in GF after consuming a couple of bottles of wine at GF Good Ribs? I don't think so. i've been to Norman's (formerly) in Duluth multiple years and watched the whole team come in and drink. Once they had a 16 year old recruit with them that they basically had to hold upright. It happens everywhere and at every school. Let's relax a bit here and move on to hockey.

If anything, suspend them for this weekend's series against B.Y.E. University and call it good.

There have been some comments here that the punishment fit the crime; that a monetary fine and community service are plenty. That's easy. The problem with that attitude is that these young men have attained a lofty status in Grand Forks, and possibly farther afield. There are countless young people (and perhaps several adults) who see these guys as heroes and role models. If these kids see that their heroes can break a law and pay (essentially) no consequence, what impression has been made? That it is permissible for a minor to be in a bar? That a hockey star needn't heed the law? That if an infraction occurs, the super-star gets off with barely a slap on the wrist?

I think you are overanalyzing the situation. I dont think it is hero worshiping that makes them feel that it is permissible to be in a bar.

Its the fact that there in college and under 21 that makes them feel its not a big deal.

Its way to easy for some to play parent, and others to play the player.

Being in my 20's, this one is easy for me.

Going in front of a judge and getting your named smashed in the local media and blogs like this, is much more punishment than any other college student gets. Lets treat them as who they are, young college students. Chalk it up to an underdeveloped frontal lobe, and move on.

You are missing the point. There are laws like traffic violations that result in fines. They are technically not crimes. If you get a speeding ticket, you probably should not be suspended, although technically you have broken the "law" as there are statutes and ordinances that prohibit speeding. Alcohol related offenses like minor in possession are also not crimes, unless they involved driving or the like (DUI's are a misdemeanor). Misdemeanors are crimes, but are not serious and usually only involve fines. Felonies are typically punishable by imprisonment. This is an oversimplification, but you should get the point.

The point is that we all break "laws" every day, such as speeding or jaywalking. There may be a fine or other consequence, but suspension from team sports should really not be an option. This offense is much closer to a speeding ticket and does not deserve a suspension. That is not to say it is "ignored." The consequences are the fine and the record, as well as what the coach decides for violation of team rules. However, this really isn't a big deal.

I confess. I pissed down a gopher hole the other day. Will I be fined for public urination or could I be busted for animal cruelty too?

I hope this is an instance of youthful indiscretion and not a manifestation of some sense of entitlement that we hero-worshipping fans may have fostered in student athletes.

With the attention they are getting in this thread let alone this site or other media, do you honestly believe for a minute that any of the individuals involved feel like they are just ordinary UND students? If so, you are still living in your avatar's era.

I dont even no why the cops would put them in the back of cop cars anyways. For all my minors all i did was blow, they wrote me a ticket dumped out my beer i ahd in hand and sent me on my way. Only one kid i ever known got put in a cope car for a minorw as cuz he ran fro eh cops.