SiouxSports.com Forum

Injunction cause of low attendance?

dead_rabbit

I have a friend that has been an occasional spokesman for the changing of the UND Fighting Sioux name. Today we were talking about the sparse turnout for the Winona-UND game. He honestly thought the low turnout was a because of the injuction that was ruled on last week. I told him that was a bunch of BS, and we didn't really get into it.

Is it possible that I'm out of touch with UND football fans (I am a Bison alum, haven't been to a UND fb game for several years, but am a hockey season ticket holder), and the low turnout was in fact caused by people being unhappy with the injunction?

The injunction had absolutely nothing to do with poor turn out. I don't think people who are against the name and logo attend UND sports events. The poor turnout was more likely due to 1) it's hunting season, 2) who we were playing against and 3) student apathy.

The injunction had absolutely nothing to do with poor turn out. I don't think people who are against the name and logo attend UND sports events. The poor turnout was more likely due to 1) it's hunting season, 2) who we were playing against and 3) student apathy.

I agree with your post. #2 is probably the biggest reason. I haven't missed a home game in about 4 years (and its 300 miles round trip) and the ONLY reason I went yesterday was because my 5 year old was sad that he couldn't go to the USD game.

If somebody thinks that the injunction caused the low attendance then that person is a complete arrogant ass!

I have a friend that has been an occasional spokesman for the changing of the UND Fighting Sioux name. Today we were talking about the sparse turnout for the Winona-UND game. He honestly thought the low turnout was a because of the injuction that was ruled on last week.

I never cease to be amazed at how those who oppose UND's use of the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo attribute every single setback in athletics as having something to do with the name issue. I suppose the reason UND got swept by UAA had something to do with the injunction, too.

I agree with your post. #2 is probably the biggest reason. I haven't missed a home game in about 4 years (and its 300 miles round trip) and the ONLY reason I went yesterday was because my 5 year old was sad that he couldn't go to the USD game.

If somebody thinks that the injunction caused the low attendance then that person is a complete arrogant ass!

yes, I did not feel like paying to see a game that was going to be over after the 1st quarter so that is why I did not go. how much of the revenue from the playoff game does the ncaa get? if they get most of it then it is not a bad thing that there was such low attendence :silly:

yes, I did not feel like paying to see a game that was going to be over after the 1st quarter so that is why I did not go. how much of the revenue from the playoff game does the ncaa get? if they get most of it then it is not a bad thing that there was such low attendence :silly:

According to a TV interview with Tom Buning, the NCAA gets all of the revenue over and above expenses.

Does the NCAA reimburse a school/facility if revenues do not cover expenses?

I don't think so. I believe a school has to guarantee a certain amount in order to host. If that guarantee isn't met through ticket sales, I would assume the school must make up the difference. However, the guarantee isn't very large. I think it's something like $5,000 or $10,000 for a first round game. That's why schools like Northwood (under 2000 in attendance) could afford to host.

100% Right - Fans want to see games that are competitive.

It was like Been there done that. I hope we now turn our anger to UNO, we owe them big time.

I would love to see that game. I am sure many would. Too bad I am pheasant hunting this weekend. Ussually though you can get 790 in Bryant SD.

Why doesn't North Dakota play any night games or at least 6:00 starts? There are so many people who work on Saturdays these days that day games are not an option for them.

The coach doesn't want to do it. It would mean more attendence, however, during NCAA they have set times like 1300 pm for the game time.

Why doesn't North Dakota play any night games or at least 6:00 starts? There are so many people who work on Saturdays these days that day games are not an option for them.

That's just the way it's always been since I've been around. Before the Alerus Center, Memorial Stadium did not have lights (I believe it had lights from the 1920's to the 1960s when they were removed), so only day games were possible. That tradition has been carried over to the Alerus Center.

I don't think the injunction had anything to do with it. Rumor has it that Warrior_08 was going to show up for the game and leave at half time. 5000 Sioux fans decided to not come to the game until the second half started. However, by then they realized that Winona State's football team hadn't shown up either and so they decided not to come at all. :silly:

I'm a season ticket holder that did not go to the game on Saturday for the following reasons:

1) Nice weather for mid November. Got all of my outdoor "before the snow falls" work done that I had been putting off until now.

2) Watched the first Winona game, and expected a similar result. I love watching the Sioux win, but I didn't feel I "needed" to watch another blowout... especially for 60 bucks plus concessions/ tailgating. For me, that money is much better spent traveling to Omaha Friday night. :silly:

I have a friend that has been an occasional spokesman for the changing of the UND Fighting Sioux name. Today we were talking about the sparse turnout for the Winona-UND game. He honestly thought the low turnout was a because of the injuction that was ruled on last week. I told him that was a bunch of BS, and we didn't really get into it.

Is it possible that I'm out of touch with UND football fans (I am a Bison alum, haven't been to a UND fb game for several years, but am a hockey season ticket holder), and the low turnout was in fact caused by people being unhappy with the injunction?

to paraphrase

, what your friend just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I went back and forth on the 'its going to be a blowout' issue as a reason not to go to the game.

But the 'this is most likely the last game in the Alerus this season' factor came into play. That was a no brainer.

Wish 5,000 more people thought like I did. :silly:

You made a good choice. Got to see a great performance and perhaps the last playoff game at UND for over 5 years or maybe forever if the NCAA has their way. I am surprised that UND didn't advertise it as such. If they made people realize how nice it is to see playoff football maybe a few more people would have gone. The Bison seemed to have their best attendance ever, and it wasn't even a playoff game. I would imagine the Bison are craving a home playoff game, so the apathy kind of concerns me as to the support UND will receive when their is no hope for playoff football.

Since you're a Bison alum...do you recall the attendance @ the last Bison home football playoff game and what year that might have been?

I never cease to be amazed at how those who oppose UND's use of the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo attribute every single setback in athletics as having something to do with the name issue. I suppose the reason UND got swept by UAA had something to do with the injunction, too.

No that would be due to suspect goaltending and poor offensive out-put.