SiouxSports.com Forum

Brad Berry

crosby_87

I hope UND doesn't limit their thinking to UND alums ... we'd never have gotten Blais, to name just one, if thinking gets too narrow.

That said, I think James Patrick would be a great choice, both as a coach and as a recruiter ...

This also opens the door to naming an associate head coach - which could be the new hire or Eades. (We'd probably lose Eades if he was not named.)

I hope UND doesn't limit their thinking to UND alums ... we'd never have gotten Blais, to name just one, if thinking gets too narrow.

That said, I think James Patrick would be a great choice, both as a coach and as a recruiter ...

This also opens the door to naming an associate head coach - which could be the new hire or Eades. (We'd probably lose Eades if he was not named.)

You bring up a good point... Are we hiring an assistant head coach or an associate head coach? Brad's departure opens up the associate position, sure, but what does Hakstol plan on doing?

As slow as this sounds, I never really put any thought into that. I just assumed Eades would be the associate and we'd hire a new assistant.

Either way, I don't think Hrkac or Patrick will apply because they are already in positions (or promised positions) that could very well pay better or are more attractive than this one (as hard as it is to swallow that tidbit).

I don't think Steve Johnson would come to UND if it means taking a pay cut. I'd love to have him, but I'm also thinking that he'll not be a candidate in the end. I know I listed him earlier as a coach UND should pursue, and I think UND should pursue him regardless, but the more I think of it, the more the pay issue comes up.

O'Connell, Bombardir, and Williamson are still playing hockey. Though this doesn't mean they wouldn't retire on the spot and take the job, I'm saying that this may not be the best three to look to.

The more I think of it, the more I like Dane Litke admitting that I know very little about Koberinski.

farce is right about being too limited. Although I doubt they'd take the position if offerred, guys like Hartnell and Hastings (both USHL head coaches) and Harrington (DIII St. Johns head coach) would make excellent associate head coaches as well. Again, I doubt they'd apply, but on paper, it would be neat.

You bring up a good point... Are we hiring an assistant head coach or an associate head coach? Brad's departure opens up the associate position, sure, but what does Hakstol plan on doing?

How many "head coach" positions can a team have?

As slow as this sounds, I never really put any thought into that. I just assumed Eades would be the associate and we'd hire a new assistant.

Haven't you heard the one about "assume"?

Either way, I don't think Hrkac or Patrick will apply because they are already in positions (or promised positions) that could very well pay better or are more attractive than this one (as hard as it is to swallow that tidbit).
According to who? You?

I don't think Steve Johnson would come to UND if it means taking a pay cut. I'd love to have him, but I'm also thinking that he'll not be a candidate in the end. I know I listed him earlier as a coach UND should pursue, and I think UND should pursue him regardless, but the more I think of it, the more the pay issue comes up.

Umm... did you read the article in today's GF Herald? Or how about Brad Schlossman's blog?The difference in pay was specifically mentioned as NOT BEING A FACTOR for Steve Johnson.

O'Connell, Bombardir, and Williamson are still playing hockey. Though this doesn't mean they wouldn't retire on the spot and take the job, I'm saying that this may not be the best three to look to.

OK. I posted two of those names just to mention them, as the previous post to mine said it would be someone not mentioned yet. Didn't know they were still playing hockey. Didn't look it up. Didn't seriously consider either to be candidates.

The more I think of it, the more I like Dane Litke admitting that I know very little about Koberinski.
Kober has been a Head Coach/GM in the USHL. Plus he's coached some quality Team ND teams in the past. He'd certainly be a quality candidate. More "coaching" experience than Litke.

farce is right about being too limited. Although I doubt they'd take the position if offerred, guys like Hartnell and Hastings (both USHL head coaches) and Harrington (DIII St. Johns head coach) would make excellent associate head coaches as well. Again, I doubt they'd apply, but on paper, it would be neat.

It would be "neat" if they applied? What are the reasons you doubt they'd apply? Coaching philosophies? Discipline philosophies? Maybe Hastings wants to get closer to home, being from Crookston?

Bombardir doesn't play anymore, unless he signed again with someone. Last year he worked for the Wild, but was like a community liason IIRC.

I think I'll add a disclaimer to my signature stating that, in no way shape or form am I or have I claimed to be, an expert in any facet of anything because it seems that lately my opinions have been misinterpretted as my claiming to be an expert in whatever it is. If you want expert opinions, go to PCM or someone else. They're the ones who are better connected. I'm only here to express my opinions. Sheesh.

DISCLAIMER NOTE: No, I don't know how to do that quote breakdown thing that Clayton used in his last post. I apologize ahead of time before you all roast me because I don't know how to do it.

How many head coaches do we need? Three, I believe though I am not sure if that number is required or if the team could get by with just 2 coaches. Last I checked their full position titles are "Head Coach," "Associate Head Coach," and "Assistant Head Coach." I'm pretty sure I'm correct in this. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it.

Yes, I heard the one about "assume." I just didn't think we were looking for an associate head coach.

Re: Steve Johnson - Ok, so he'll take a pay cut. I stand corrected.

Re: Bombardir - That's too bad. I still think he could play hockey. Maybe he will apply. I don't know. I didn't think of him as a prime candidate next to Koberinski, (now again) Johnson, or Litke.

As for Hrkac and Patrick, yes, according to me. Brad Berry went from Associate head coach of the Sioux to Assistant Coach of the AHL Manitoba Moose. Currently, Hrkac has a similar job in the AHL. Apart from alumni pride, what would make Hrkac wish to take the same position with UND? James Patrick has a job waiting for him in the Sabres organization. I used to know what it was, but I have lost the article that mentions the offer he has recieved from the organization. According to ME, I don't think James would consider this job attractive to him.

EDIT: I guess I may be wrong about Tony Hrkac. He is technically a coaches' assistant with the AHL Milwaukee Admirals. (Hrkac story) I don't know what this position is, but the article aludes to the fact that Hrkac is a part of a "coaching trifecta" with the Milwaukee organization. Decide for yourself what that means and, if you figure it out, please let me know what it means because I am not sure what the difference is between a coaches' assistant and an assistant coach when it comes to the duties discharged pertaining to the Admirals players.

Re non-UND alum: Would you prefer if I used "Splendiferous" or perhaps "Gee golly wonderful" instead? Yes, I think it would be nice to have Hastings on staff. Maybe he would like to come back closer to home. I don't know what his intentions are, whether he wishes to even apply or not. I mention them because of their connection to the USHL, not because of any frothing of the mouth to see them wearing a UND Sioux sweatervest.

Re: Koberinski - Excellent! I honestly didn't know anything about him. THank you for filling me in.

These names have been mentioned here (not necessarily all seriously):

Jim Archibald

Marc Chorney

Lee Goren

John Harrington

Mike Hastings

Tony Hrkac

Steve Johnson

Ian Kallay

Scott Koberinski

Dane Litke

Craig Ludwig

John Marks

James Patrick

Mark Pivetz

Marty Schriner

Tom Ward

Then after the hint, these were mentioned:

Brad Bombardir

Tarek Howard

Dane Jackson

Tim O'Connell

Jim Scanlan

Mitch Vig

Brad Williamson

Rick Zombo

I didn't see Lee Davidson mentioned anywhere.

brad reports bob joyce throws his hat in the ring...interesting.....isnt he a pilot??

Two-thirds of the Hrkac Circus have applied for the vacant assistant coaching position. Bob Joyce was one of two new applications received by the UND human resource office Thursday. The newest applicants' profiles:

BOB JOYCE

Hometown: Saint John, New Brunswick.

College: UND (1984-87).

Position: Forward.

Professional playing career: 1987-2000.

Coaching career: None listed on application

http://www.gfheraldsiouxhockey.blogspot.com/

brad reports bob joyce throws his hat in the ring...interesting.....isnt he a pilot??

Two-thirds of the Hrkac Circus have applied for the vacant assistant coaching position. Bob Joyce was one of two new applications received by the UND human resource office Thursday. The newest applicants' profiles:

BOB JOYCE

Hometown: Saint John, New Brunswick.

College: UND (1984-87).

Position: Forward.

Professional playing career: 1987-2000.

Coaching career: None listed on application

http://www.gfheraldsiouxhockey.blogspot.com/

Here's the latest....

North Dakota Candidates Line Up

There is a batch of applicants for the University of North Dakota assistant

Article on Dane Jackson and his pursuit of coaching jobs at UND and in the AHL:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/p...360/1007/SPORTS

"He walked into a terrible situation, as tough a situation as anyone ever walked into, and he did a great job," Melrose said. "I loved him. He was a take-charge guy right from the start. With his mindset and hunger, he'll only get better."

The Sabres will have several highly advertised, can't-miss NHLers in Rochester this season, starting with right winger Drew Stafford and center Marek Zagrapan (assuming he signs). Both were first-round draft picks.

Jackson was a mentor to the Sabres prospects when he played for the Amerks and enjoys teaching.

"I find it real rewarding when you see younger guys grasp things and come along," Jackson said.

According to Tim Hennessey on the radio this morning the word about is that Dane Jackson will be the new assistant. Of course that is speculation, but Hennessey would have some good sources. If he coaches anything like he played, he would be a good choice.