SiouxSports.com Forum

UND declaring internal Division 1 move

D1sioux

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We lead and you follow and you say we have the inferiority complex, what a joke!

Moving first I guess can be considered a feather in the cap for the NDSU faithful, but ten years from now that won't matter and you had better hope you have a few wins against us or it'll be back to the same old crying down south you had your last few years in D-II.

It was taboo when NDSU was a DII and UND was a DI hockey playing DI.

Can we talk about DI championships now? ???

That argument is getting really old consider all 50 schools or so that play hockey. Keep beating that dead horse thats fine but a championship in little league is not a big deal. Now if you were playing in division with all schools in it fine blow your own horn but competing with 50-60 schools not all of which are fully funded doesnt excite me.

That argument is getting really old consider all 50 schools or so that play hockey. Keep beating that dead horse thats fine but a championship in little league is not a big deal. Now if you were playing in division with all schools in it fine blow your own horn but competing with 50-60 schools not all of which are fully funded doesnt excite me.

Combining boredom with ignorance; interesting. Find something to do, by tomorrow you may shed the boredom, at least.

... but a championship in little league is not a big deal.

Uh-uh.

No.

Not even a good try.

DI is DI is DI, or you'll have to discount any sniff of a wrestling title because fewer than 100 schools wrestle at the DI level, right?

Not a big deal? Let us know when NDSU wins a DI National Championship in ANY sport.

And when you look at the fact that the D1 men's hockey tourney is only behind the men's BB tourney in revenue generation, your argument, whatever it is, rings hollow.

With a move to D1, the hockey program with bring in even more $$$ to UND when it goes to the regional and national tourneys, something which does not happen now.

Uh-uh.

No.

Not even a good try.

DI is DI is DI, or you'll have to discount any sniff of a wrestling title because fewer than 100 schools wrestle at the DI level, right?

I sure remember a lot of excitement in Fargo and on the bisonville board when NDSU was talking about adding equestrian. And that is not even a real DI sport. It is still considered an emerging sport along with archery, badminton, rugby, squash, synchronized swimming and team handball. If DI hockey isn't a real sport, what would you consider equestrian?

Equestrian - Divisions I and II Only

Information Related To Adding the Sport

Level of participation: Thirty-six schools offer women's equestrian as a varsity sport: 14 at Division I and six at Division II. Approximately 10,500 high-school aged female athletes compete in the sport.

We lead and you follow and you say we have the inferiority complex, what a joke!

Don't forget which University had DI athletics first! :lol:

The reality is that in the last 5 years 3 of the top 4 athletic programs of the NCC left (now UND is leaving making it 4 of 4). NDSU has always been one of the top athletic programs in the NCC. However if NDSU had been Augustana-like athletically in the past 25 years and Augustana had been NDSU-like athletically in the pat 25 years and Auggie had left while NDSU stayed, UND would still be leaving. NDSU doesn't have an inferiority complex, they are simply inferior! ???

I admit though, NDSU made the right decision when they left, and UND is making the right decision to leave now (finally).

Yeah, I agree it is too bad that only 58 schools field an ice hockey program. It gets real old for us UND fans watching our school beat up on the schools that do have DI hockey. Ya know, like Minnesota, Notre Dame, Michigan, Wisconsin, Boston College, Ohio St., etc., etc., etc. Not nearly as exciting as NDSU's first DI sporting event against Valparaiso's non-scholarship football program. :lol: Did you know that that game was like NDSU's 5th biggest drawing fb game at the Fargodome in history? The 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th biggest were all against UND. ???

Ah, the fargodome history. Those were great games that UND played in there. It's nice to see us owning TWO beautiful football buildings. I still can't believe the bison never hosted a playoff game in the fargodome. The timing for UND to go DI is right, football and womens BB are dominating DII. What was the reasoning for the bison to go DI so soon? It's not like they were dominating DII, or the NCC like UND was. Oh ya, I remember, JEALOUSY.

well...ndsu IS nd's 1st division I university (I assume it's true because I saw it on a bison fans banner and we all know anyone from ND wouldn't lie ??? )

here's one we could put up...

NORTH DAKOTAS 1st DIVISION I CHAMPIONS (TIMES 7!!) Call us when you guys win 7 Division I championships in ANYTHING - seriously... (and we'll count equestrian, badminton, softball, foosball, hackeysack or ANY SPORT you think would count!!) :lol:;)

The bottom line is - regardless of how many schools play a particular sport - it all comes down to who WINS a National Championship - if you want to diminish a win against Michigan or Boston College because you classify it as a "minor sport" - go ahead! I'm guessing those schools would say ndsWHOGIVESA*UCK??? ;)

Uh-uh.

No.

Not even a good try.

Let me know when college hockey gets exciting and then we talk.

(Stick in the hornets nest ??? )

1. Minnesota High School

2. Olympics (Pre-NHL days)

3. NHL

4. Olympics

5. Canadian Jr's

6. USHL

7. Minnesota Girls High School

8. NCAA DI Hockey

Don't forget which University had DI athletics first! :lol:

The reality is that in the last 5 years 3 of the top 4 athletic programs of the NCC left (now UND is leaving making it 4 of 4). NDSU has always been one of the top athletic programs in the NCC. However if NDSU had been Augustana-like athletically in the past 25 years and Augustana had been NDSU-like athletically in the pat 25 years and Auggie had left while NDSU stayed, UND would still be leaving. NDSU doesn't have an inferiority complex, they are simply inferior! ???

I admit though, NDSU made the right decision when they left, and UND is making the right decision to leave now (finally).

You are 100% wrong - UND would have never thought of moving to DI if NDSU hadn't moved first. The inferiority complex is completely UND's and gf. Why have you decided to move up now? Jealousy is the only reason. Fargo builds the Dome, gf builds the shed, NDSU moves up to DI and UND moves up. Really it's not that hard to figure out. ;)

You are 100% wrong - UND would have never thought of moving to DI if NDSU hadn't moved first. The inferiority complex is completely UND's and gf. Why have you decided to move up now? Jealousy is the only reason. Fargo builds the Dome, gf builds the shed, NDSU moves up to DI and UND moves up. Really it's not that hard to figure out. ;)

And why did NDSU move when they did?? Could it be that the Sioux have been kicking their butts for the last 10+ years, coupled with a very successful hockey program and beautiful new venues?

NDSU was fine being in Division II when they were winning in football, because that is their top sport. When your top sport is losing to your rival, who has that GREAT hockey team to boot, that hurts and you had to do somthing. Hence the move to Division I

I remember reading a comment by Bohl in the past year, where he was saying that NDSU football was going to surpass UND hockey in popularity. Wishful thinking on his part, but he admitted that UND hockey is more popular than NDSU football.

With all of UND sports going Division I, you just got trumped.

not sure where i should post this... but other than this upcoming year (06-07) would the nickname issue not affect UND? hockey won't be hosting any ncaa events because the WCHA 1st round playoffs don't count. so in essence, UND has 5? years to figure out the nickname issue without being affected in post-season play.

not sure where i should post this... but other than this upcoming year (06-07) would the nickname issue not affect UND? hockey won't be hosting any ncaa events because the WCHA 1st round playoffs don't count. so in essence, UND has 5? years to figure out the nickname issue without being affected in post-season play.

IIRC, in addition to not being able to host events, any reference to the hostile/abusive nickname/logo/mascot is not allowed at NCAA events

Also, UND will be allowed to compete for DII championships until they declare, so it would be through '07-'08 at least

It would be a complete shame for UND athletes to have to face the challenge of traveling to post-season events they would have hosted otherwise and for UND fans not to be able to see their teams compete in Grand Forks, especially if UND prevails in their case.

IMO, UND and the NCAA need to figure out the issue immediately

IIRC, in addition to not being able to host events, any reference to the hostile/abusive nickname/logo/mascot is not allowed at NCAA events

Also, UND will be allowed to compete for DII championships until they declare, so it would be through '07-'08 at least

It would be a complete shame for UND athletes to have to face the challenge of traveling to post-season events they would have hosted otherwise and for UND fans not to be able to see their teams compete in Grand Forks, especially if UND prevails in their case.

IMO, UND and the NCAA need to figure out the issue immediately

ok, i wasn't sure if the post-season ban would start at the end of this coming year or not. either way, UND needs to get this settled or get a judge to grant an injunction which would delay the NCAA's power in the situation.

And why did NDSU move when they did?? Could it be that the Sioux have been kicking their butts for the last 10+ years, coupled with a very successful hockey program and beautiful new venues?

NDSU was fine being in Division II when they were winning in football, because that is their top sport. When your top sport is losing to your rival, who has that GREAT hockey team to boot, that hurts and you had to do somthing. Hence the move to Division I

I remember reading a comment by Bohl in the past year, where he was saying that NDSU football was going to surpass UND hockey in popularity. Wishful thinking on his part, but he admitted that UND hockey is more popular than NDSU football.

With all of UND sports going Division I, you just got trumped.

Only in your own small mind. If you think that dii is the same today as 20 years ago, you need to read all the post on this board about it. NDSU was never challeged by UND in dii as far as national championships or anything else. Your pretty venues are not UND's nor do they controll them.

I couldn't decide how to respond, so, it's "Reader's Choice!":

Fargo builds the Dome, gf builds the shed, NDSU moves up to DI and UND moves up. Really it's not that hard to figure out.

A)

It's easy to figure out:

There's do it first; there's do it right.

or

Fargo builds the Dome .... it's not that hard to figure out.

B)

Is indoor waterskiing an NCAA DI championship sport?

I hear the 'SU venue has been prepped a couple of times. ???