SiouxSports.com Forum

D-1 Survey Says...

CDog

How many neutral sports fans are there in North Dakota? Other than new people moving into the state, and there aren't large numbers of those, I believe that most people in North Dakota have made a choice between UND and NDSU. Even supporters of smaller schools in North Dakota usually like one of the bigger schools more than the other. I do agree that some casual sports fans that only go to 1 or 2 games a year may choose to go to Fargo if NDSU is playing a "name" opponent.

While the loyalties of alums are more set in stone, I think there is a good possiblity that those with only a passing interest in either school can easily be influenced, especially if hometown stars tend to go to NDSU for that chance to compete in Division I.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your attendence figures are already slipping

Whatchyou talkin' 'bout Willis? By my math...

Football (non-playoff)?

2005 10126/game

2004 9555/game

2003 9423/game *hosted NDSU

2002 9488/game

WBB (I'm too lazy to recalc w/out playoffs)?

05-06 2292/game

04-05 2231/game

03-04 2387/game *hosted NDSU

02-03 2444/game *hosted NDSU

I'm actually a supporter of moving to D-I because I don't think the Sioux are playing their athletic or academic peers anymore, which could lead to declining attendance if quality and opponents decline, but I don't see it yet (assuming I managed to calculate correctly).

Whatchyou talkin' 'bout Willis? By my (perhaps bad) math...

Football (non-playoff)?

2005 10126/game

2004 9555/game

2002 9488/game

05-06 2292/game

04-05 2231/game

I'm actually a supporter of moving to D-I because I don't think the Sioux are playing their athletic or academic peers anymore, which could lead to declining attendance as people get less excited about playing Mesa State than UNC, but I don't see it yet (again, assuming I managed to calculate correctly).

Speaking of slipping attendance:

SDSU men's basketball attendance in D2: consistently in the 3300-3500 range.

SDSU men's basketball attendance in D1: 1600 two years ago and 2000 last year.

Not to mention that football attendance slipped nearly 3,000 per game last year despite having Georgia Southern and Cal-Poly (I-AA playoff teams) on the home schedule.

Now I'm sure the board's biggest non-SDSU fan (aff) will be here shortly to try to explain this away. :0

Whatchyou talkin' 'bout Willis? By my (perhaps bad) math...

Football (non-playoff)?

2005 10126/game

2004 9555/game

2002 9488/game

05-06 2292/game

04-05 2231/game

I'm actually a supporter of moving to D-I because I don't think the Sioux are playing their athletic or academic peers anymore, which could lead to declining attendance as people get less excited about playing Mesa State than UNC, but I don't see it yet (again, assuming I managed to calculate correctly).

I too am in favor of the D-I move, whereas I was on the fence more a couple of years ago. I know that NDSU's attendance is up from a couple of years ago and is likely attributable to the move to I-AA, but the numbers for SDSU are not as glowing. I realize that the figures for the past two years are skewed by the number of games, 4 games in 2004 (one of which was the NDSU game) and 8 games in 2005.

2005 6972/game

2004 9846/game

2003 5547/game

2002 5967/game

2001 6732/game

There are some key differences between NDSU/UND's and SDSU's football programs.

1) SDSU is outside. What were the attendance figures like at SDSU when it got cold?

2) UND and NDSU have more football fans than SDSU.

To me, that means that any increase or decrease in UND's football attendance because of a move from DII to DI-AA would be more likely to follow NDSU's pattern vs. SDSU's pattern.

There are some key differences between NDSU/UND's and SDSU's football programs.

1) SDSU is outside. What were the attendance figures like at SDSU when it got cold?

2) UND and NDSU have more football fans than SDSU.

To me, that means that any increase or decrease in UND's football attendance because of a move from DII to DI-AA would be more likely to follow NDSU's pattern vs. SDSU's pattern.

I agree, but you don't want to argue with a rabbit. :0

I agree, but you don't want to argue with a rabbit. :0

Yep, we'll thump u! :0:D

NDSU & UND facilities are a much better comparison than to Coughlin-Alumi Stadium in Brookings.

I believe that the SDSUfans.com board has info about attendence. And yes, it's not as glowing as in Fargo, but it's #2 in the GWFC, and I believe over 10k average for DI games. Just haven't had many DI games at Brookings yet.

If UND moves to DI, you should have a top 25 or better attendence relative to D-1AA schools in all your sports. Your peers are DI, and I hope to be playing you again.

Look forward to thumping you again :0:D

Yep, we'll thump u! :0

NDSU & UND facilities are a much better comparison than to Coughlin-Alumi Stadium in Brookings.

I believe that the SDSUfans.com board has info about attendence. And yes, it's not as glowing as in Fargo, but it's #2 in the GWFC, and I believe over 10k average for DI games. Just haven't had many DI games at Brookings yet.

If UND moves to DI, you should have a top 25 or better attendence relative to D-1AA schools in all your sports. Your peers are DI, and I hope to be playing you again.

Look forward to thumping you again :0:D

Not to belabor the point but this just doesn't make sense... on October 22 last year SDSU drew 14,500 on a 41 degree day to see a crappy D2 team (Missouri-Rolla). On October 29 SDSU drew 4,100 fans on a 62 degree day to see the most storied program in I-AA history (Georgia Southern). I realize the Rolla game was Hobo Days but that is a ridiculous discrepancy, especially considering the weather conditions.

Now back to the original topic of the thread. :D

Not to belabor the point but this just doesn't make sense... on October 22 last year SDSU drew 14,500 on a 41 degree day to see a crappy D2 team (Missouri-Rolla). On October 29 SDSU drew 4,100 fans on a 62 degree day to see the most storied program in I-AA history (Georgia Southern). I realize the Rolla game was Hobo Days but that is a ridiculous discrepancy, especially considering the weather conditions.

Now back to the original topic of the thread. :D

Maybe the GSU game was deer opener or something.........Call me a heathen.......but hunting seasons do dictate what games I am able to attend..... :0

For those of us who agree with this comment, make sure you are communicating with Kupchella. It doesn't do any good for us to just vent about it here!
The good doctor will have an e-mail on his PC and a voicemail in his phone by Monday morning. I would encourage others to do the same.

If you are one who are able and willing to start donating or to donate more than you have in the past, Kupchella really needs to hear that.

I am, I can, and he will.

For those of us who agree with this comment, make sure you are communicating with Kupchella. It doesn't do any good for us to just vent about it here!

If you are one who are able and willing to start donating or to donate more than you have in the past, Kupchella really needs to hear that.

I also agree with this. I have and always will be a Sioux fan no matter what division their in...although I prefer they go DI. My little nephew who was born a few months ago obviously has no allegiances. The next 10-15 years as he grows up which way do I think he'll lean? I hate to say it but he may very well choose DI NDSU over DII UND (except for hockey of course). I also unfortunately believe this would become the norm for the "newer" generation kids.

Speaking of SDSU football attendance, has anyone seen their home schedule this year? They play four home football games, three of them aren't against DI teams. They play a D3 team, NAIA team, and DII team at home this year. The only DI home game is Cal Poly, which is conference. For attendance purposes, it has to be hard to expand DI interest with only one DI game. NDSU has a much better home schedule and therefore may have an easier time expanding DI football interest.

Speaking of SDSU football attendance, has anyone seen their home schedule this year? They play four home football games, three of them aren't against DI teams. They play a D3 team, NAIA team, and DII team at home this year. The only DI home game is Cal Poly, which is conference. For attendance purposes, it has to be hard to expand DI interest with only one DI game. NDSU has a much better home schedule and therefore may have an easier time expanding DI football interest.

Yep, home schedule is pathetically bad at bunny central this year :0

BTW. it's UC-Davis at home, again this year. Jacks are at Cal-Poly for their homecoming. Sacrifices of moving to D-1 are toughest during transition. No sugar coating on that!

Now back to your regularly scheduled D-1 discussion! LOL

on October 22 last year SDSU drew 14,500 on a 41 degree day to see a crappy D2 team (Missouri-Rolla). On October 29 SDSU drew 4,100 fans on a 62 degree day to see the most storied program in I-AA history (Georgia Southern).

Not so fast!

Is a 62 degree day typical of late Oct.?

No.

It could very well have been that most people assumed it was going to be a cold, blowing day and just didn't want to sit outside for 4 hours.

As, as it was mentioned, hunting could have played a role as well.

Not so fast!

Is a 62 degree day typical of late Oct.?

No.

It could very well have been that most people assumed it was going to be a cold, blowing day and just didn't want to sit outside for 4 hours.

As, as it was mentioned, hunting could have played a role as well.

Hunting I buy, but people assuming it would be cold out? It's called the weather forecast, check into it. www.weatherchannel.com. They are usually pretty accurate the day before or the day of the event in question. Damn I'm glad to be a UND grad so I can come up with answers to tough situations like this one.

People plan ahead farther than a day or two.

Probably a lot of people had vacations planned a long time before that assuming it would be cold.

excuses..excuses...FOR SDSU no less :D you guys have no shame! :0 I recall UND getting ripped for playoff game attendance over Thanksgiving in the last couple years...(you guys remember PLAYOFFS don't you?)...at least that's a traditional FAMILY HOLIDAY :D