SiouxSports.com Forum

D-1 Survey Says...

CDog

No way do we sacrifice basketball.

I think NDSU men's basketball is eventually going to do what Northern Iowa is doing now.

The other sports, I hope they do well, but I don't follow them that much.

Based on one season? I'm sorry, but the Bison were unable to do the equivalent of what Northern Iowa did last season in D-I when they were in D-II. Now that they barely got over .500 against low level D-I's fargo talks like they are the next gonzaga. I don't care about Wisconsin, it was a fluke, Kansas State was more like what the bison's talent level compared to other teams is. They just don't have the athleticism to do much better than .500 against mid major competition. Look at SDSU, there's your future.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, but the Bison were unable to do the equivalent of what Northern Iowa did last season in D-I when they were in D-II. Now that they barely got over .500 against low level D-I's fargo talks like they are the next gonzaga. I don't care about Wisconsin, it was a fluke, Kansas State was more like what the bison's talent level compared to other teams is. They just don't have the athleticism to do much better than .500 against mid major competition. Look at SDSU, there's your future.

Aff? K-State was a fluke NDSU just played two very tough games in Bozeman and had to travel to K-State right away. I watched the game and the team was tired and probably played their worst game of the year. As for Wisconsin we beat them and that is all that matters, I guess we will find out this year if that was a fluke or not. I do think MplsBison is right on with the Northern Iowa comparison since coach Mac took over a bad UNI program beat Iowa State his first year which started to turn a few heads and then things just took off. Miles said he does a lot things similar to UNI and I could easily see NDSU becoming a UNI like program.

All schools will have "UP" years and also "DOWN" years in the various sports. SDSU's men's BB has had some difficulty in 2005 due to matters beyond coach's matters. The Lady Jacks had a VERY solid 2nd year in D-1, and we're all hoping for a successful 3rd season there.

In basketball, even more pronounced than in football, the difference in divisional play is in depth. During transition, looking to develop and recruit that depth.

UND has nothing impeding their successful transition to being a D-1 more than themselves. If decide that D-1 is where UND wants to be, you will succeed as well as other D-2's have done. Perhaps, better than most. Both SDSU and NDSU are good comparisons. They, like UND would be, are doing well, and will only get better with more years in D-1.

Back on topic..........it is too bad this is the direction the D1 debate in grand Forks is heading.

Bad or good depending on who you ask.

Looks good to the majority of "stakeholders" at UND (according to the polls).

bad for bison fans.

Bad or good depending on who you ask.

Looks good to the majority of "stakeholders" at UND (according to the polls).

bad for bison fans.

It is not "bad" for Bison Fans.....NDSU and our sucess in DI has little to do with what UND does. I would have just enjoyed a DI level matchup between the Bison and the Sioux.....No need to get smacky over that....... :0

Your question should be: Do you wanna sacrafice basketball and other teams for you football team (in IAA where it belongs) because those others sports have no serious risk of ever winning a championship like they do in D2.

If it is all about winning national championships, why don't we look at moving to the NAIA. I bet we could win ALOT of national championships there. Or better yet, how about DIII. That would also solve all the questions about money.

I personally don't think that winning NCs is all it is about. I personally would rather see a stronger schedule than UM-C, UMary, SWMSU, etc. Those are not schools we should consider our peers. Besides the women's basketball team's one lose to SCSU, guess what their closest game was: UM-Crookston.

Are our teams going to be in the top 25 in all sports in the first year of DI? No, they shouldn't be expected to. However, there are few sports at UND that I don't believe could eventually grow into competative programs at the DI level.

Yeah a lot is said about sacrificing our women's basketball team's tradition. I think a big part of that tradition was playing and winning games against other good teams and having to battle for conference championships. Going 30-0 against piss- poor competition every season isn't a tradition I would want to hang my hat on.

If it is all about winning national championships, why don't we look at moving to the NAIA. I bet we could win ALOT of national championships there. Or better yet, how about DIII. That would also solve all the questions about money.

ok. It's about winning championships at the highest level conceivable.

I personally don't think that winning NCs is all it is about. I personally would rather see a stronger schedule than UM-C, UMary, SWMSU, etc. Those are not schools we should consider our peers. Besides the women's basketball team's one lose to SCSU, guess what their closest game was: UM-Crookston.

Are our teams going to be in the top 25 in all sports in the first year of DI? No, they shouldn't be expected to. However, there are few sports at UND that I don't believe could eventually grow into competative programs at the DI level.

I second that motion as well.

No way do we sacrifice basketball.

I think NDSU men's basketball is eventually going to do what Northern Iowa is doing now.

The other sports, I hope they do well, but I don't follow them that much.

I respect what Miles is doing with the NDSU basketball program, but they are a long ways off from Northern Iowa. UNI is a perennial contender in the MVC, which is one of the best basketball conferences in the nation. NDSU, if they're lucky, is going to compete in the Mid-Con or the Big Sky. And I don't think that they will be perennial contenders in either of those conferences, which are both a long way off from the MVC.

But again, Miles is doing a tremendous job at NDSU.

I second that motion as well.

I agree totally. UND should no longer be the big fish in the small pond. Many UND fans will say why not just dominate DII? The problem with that is, and UND hasn't seen the big effects of it yet, is that NDSU is going to start taking the best local recruits. A recruit that may have went to UND 6 or 7 years ago is now going to go to NDSU to play DI. Therefore, our DII teams could suffer. If that were to happen, UND could lose a lot of revenue due to poor attendance figures. A neutral sports fan in the Grand Forks area may start driving an hour to go watch a competitive DI game. This could become very prevalent once NDSU starts bringing in mid-major basketball, volleyball, wrestling, etc. and I-AA powerhouse programs. Of course UND wouldn't win national titles in DI, but bringing in mid-major programs in the future will generate much more revenue than playing DAC-10 schools.

I agree totally. UND should no longer be the big fish in the small pond. Many UND fans will say why not just dominate DII? The problem with that is, and UND hasn't seen the big effects of it yet, is that NDSU is going to start taking the best local recruits. A recruit that may have went to UND 6 or 7 years ago is now going to go to NDSU to play DI. Therefore, our DII teams could suffer. If that were to happen, UND could lose a lot of revenue due to poor attendance figures. A neutral sports fan in the Grand Forks area may start driving an hour to go watch a competitive DI game. This could become very prevalent once NDSU starts bringing in mid-major basketball, volleyball, wrestling, etc. and I-AA powerhouse programs. Of course UND wouldn't win national titles in DI, but bringing in mid-major programs in the future will generate much more revenue than playing DAC-10 schools.

Yep, if a neutral sports fan in Hillsboro has the option on a Saturday to go to Fargo to watch a North Dakota college take on Montana St. in football or Kansas St. in basketball versus going to Grand Forks to watch a North Dakota college take on Shippensburg in football or Emporia St. in basketball, where do you think he/she is going to go? :0

How many neutral sports fans are there in North Dakota? Other than new people moving into the state, and there aren't large numbers of those, I believe that most people in North Dakota have made a choice between UND and NDSU. Even supporters of smaller schools in North Dakota usually like one of the bigger schools more than the other. I do agree that some casual sports fans that only go to 1 or 2 games a year may choose to go to Fargo if NDSU is playing a "name" opponent.

Your attendence figures are already slipping (see the NCC board for details) , and according to your own coaches, in head to head competition, NDSU is 7, UND 0 last year. It'll only get worse as D-2 becomes the domain of the DAC-10, and your peers proceed in D-1, only 1 hr down I-29. It's fun being 2-0 vs University of Alabama (Women's BB)!!

How many neutral sports fans are there in North Dakota? Other than new people moving into the state, and there aren't large numbers of those, I believe that most people in North Dakota have made a choice between UND and NDSU. Even supporters of smaller schools in North Dakota usually like one of the bigger schools more than the other. I do agree that some casual sports fans that only go to 1 or 2 games a year may choose to go to Fargo if NDSU is playing a "name" opponent.

There are a ton of Bison sports fans that attend UND hockey games. If a D-I move is not made soon, there will be a lot more Sioux fans frequenting Fargodome, in my opinion. I-29 runs both ways. This whole thing is so frustrating.... :0

There are a ton of Bison sports fans that attend UND hockey games. If a D-I move is not made soon, there will be a lot more Sioux fans frequenting Fargodome, in my opinion. I-29 runs both ways. This whole thing is so frustrating.... :0

For those of us who agree with this comment, make sure you are communicating with Kupchella. It doesn't do any good for us to just vent about it here!

If you are one who are able and willing to start donating or to donate more than you have in the past, Kupchella really needs to hear that.