SiouxSports.com Forum

The Roster As It Exists Today

The Sicatoka

And I think Watkins will contribute well on the scoreboard too! :lol: I haven't forgot about your DVD of the Prpich fight game either. Just been busy with school work. :huh:

cool, no prob................big joe finley will put up 4 goals and 10 assists next year :D

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because of his youth, I didn't think Toews would jump to the NHL this year BUT after watching his clip at the combine, I'm not so sure. That kid is BUFF, he looks like he could take on those 20/30 + yr old veterans. The maturity he's shown on and off the ice also concerns me. He acts a lot older than most 18 yr olds. I hope I'm wrong and he decides he needs another year of growth before he leaves for the big time.

Because of his youth, I didn't think Toews would jump to the NHL this year BUT after watching his clip at the combine, I'm not so sure. That kid is BUFF, he looks like he could take on those 20/30 + yr old veterans. The maturity he's shown on and off the ice also concerns me. He acts a lot older than most 18 yr olds. I hope I'm wrong and he decides he needs another year of growth before he leaves for the big time.

Word around town is that Toews might be gone too if he goes top three and gets good money. I am serious. A person I know heard from a reliable source that is close to the team that this is the deal, I also heard the same thing from another source. So it sounds as if your concerns are warranted.

Word around town is that Toews might be gone too if he goes top three and gets good money. I am serious. A person I know heard from a reliable source that is close to the team that this is the deal, I also heard the same thing from another source. So it sounds as if your concerns are warranted.

I haven't heard anything either way, would it suprise me if he left ? Not at all. I have felt all along that he may possibly go but have nothing other than personal opinion to base that on.

I haven't heard anything either way, would it suprise me if he left ? Not at all. I have felt all along that he may possibly go but have nothing other than personal opinion to base that on.

Why not see if we can set an all-time record for mass exodus?? (We maybe already have) Anyone on here have any eligibility?? Of course being able to skate backwards is a requirement.

As the off-season goes on, I've gotten the feeling that Toews and Kessel have both played their last collegiate game. They will both be top five picks who have already played one year of college hockey. It's not very often that you'll get two years out of a top five pick. Heatly and Vanek are exceptions to this, not the rule. Can anyone else think of top five picks who played multiple years of college hockey?

As the off-season goes on, I've gotten the feeling that Toews and Kessel have both played their last collegiate game. They will both be top five picks who have already played one year of college hockey. It's not very often that you'll get two years out of a top five pick. Heatly and Vanek are exceptions to this, not the rule. Can anyone else think of top five picks who played multiple years of college hockey?

can't think of anyone off the top of my head but i also agree that toews and kessel will be gone. i said this a while back so not a new thought for myself, also like i have said before it ALL depends on which team drafts them and their IMMEDIATE needs....

Ryan Whitney from BU played three years. Of course it took him another two years of AHL seasoning to become a NHL regular so that might have something to do with it. :ohmy:

It's hard to say. Toews has said all the right things for the UND fans, Mr. Media hasn't said anything publicly for a LONG time.

The final laugh was on them? Are you joking? Irmen and Potulny absolutely OWNED the Sioux at the Ralph. Every time they played there they were the two best players on the ice. They have a three game winning streak at the Ralph against the Sioux(and Parise). Their careers may have ended in that building but it wasn't at the hands of your squad. Those two players will always have the final laugh when it comes to playing the Sioux at the Ralph, that can't be debated.

It's obvious why you people love Holy Cross so much. Now you can finally cheer for a team that knows how to beat the Gophers at the Ralph.

But to say that the Sioux got the final laugh on Irmen and Potulny because a team other than the Sioux beat them is laughable.

Potulny and Irmen had success against the Sioux at the Ralph, no one would deny that. But, the biggest upset EVER in the history of college hockey, in your own "hometown" has to be somewhat humbling especially since it's your last collegiate game ever. Why else would they be standing outside the locker room crying ? Maybe they were tears of joy. In the end, after all the antics (jersey popping, excessive celebrations, ect.) I would say that the fans at the Ralph finally got the last laugh. But hey, tell the story however you like, I was there.

Potulny and Irmen had success against the Sioux at the Ralph, no one would deny that. But, the biggest upset EVER in the history of college hockey, in your own "hometown" has to be somewhat humbling especially since it's your last collegiate game ever. Why else would they be standing outside the locker room crying ? Maybe they were tears of joy. In the end, after all the antics (jersey popping, excessive celebrations, ect.) I would say that the fans at the Ralph finally got the last laugh. But hey, tell the story however you like, I was there.

I was there also. They would have been crying no matter where their careers ended. If the Holy Cross game makes you feel any better about two native North Dakota boys spurning their hometown team to play for their arch rival and then owning them EVERY time they played at the Ralph then go ahead, what do I care.

I was there also. They would have been crying no matter where their careers ended. If the Holy Cross game makes you feel any better about two native North Dakota boys spurning their hometown team to play for their arch rival and then owning them EVERY time they played at the Ralph then go ahead, what do I care.

who gives 2 shts about these 2 and their history at the ralph as it is OVER........they tore it up against the sioux and big ups to them for that...now they will continue their success in the AHL or NHL....THANK GOD THEY ARE GONE...............just to bad we dont play the gophs at the ralph this season, thats a fkn joke and we all can agree on that....

Triouxper et al., I don't agree about rubbing it in on Potulny and Irman. They lost in a landmark upset, sure, and one we can all get our kicks off of, but those two chose Minnesota for their own reasons and it didn't work out. Look at Irman, he gets to rot away in the Wild farm system (and IMO, he should pray every day that he gets traded). If anything, mourn that! Local kid on a crappy team. Sad. And Irman has offensive talent. All to waste in Lemaire and Risenbrough's system. Ryan Potulny will have fun in the NHL as Philadelphia enjoys fostering offense.

Anyways, I don't see RPot and DIrman as having any relevance to Stooge A's calling us Nazis and Stooge B defending it.

Want some contraversy? If the Gophers and the Wild were to go head to head in an exhibition game, it would be a close game. The Gophers have the better offense while the Wild has the better defense/goaltending. Gophers have a better Power play and the Wild a better PK. It would be an even contest. Why am I saying this? Because NHL teams should BLOW AWAY even the best of DI and Major Junior teams. Take your pick: the Gophers are that good or the Wild are that bad.

......, what do I care.

You care enough to come on to a Sioux sports forum on an almost daily basis, you continually attempt to defend the Gophers' 2005-2006 historical fall from grace and then you tell us how much you don't care. OK, :ohmy: .

Holy Cross! Before you spout off on a Sioux message board, you really should get your facts straight. Irmen and Potulny have a 3-3 record at the REA. Their freshman year, 2003-04, the Rodents got swept by the Sioux in REA. The teams split at Mariucci. In 2004-05, the teams split at REA. The Sioux, however, got the last laugh beating the Rodents at the NCAA semifinal in Columbus. This last year, the Gophers swept the Sioux at home, but split on the road. Again, the Sioux got the last laugh, at least making it to the Frozen Four again. To say that they "owned" the Sioux is not accurate. A more accurate claim is that Sioux have owned the Rodents at Mariucci: In 1998-99 win and a tie; 99-00 win and a tie; 00-01 split; 01-02 split; 02-03 split; 03-04 split; 04-05 did not play; 05-06 split. That is a record of 7-5-2 at Mariucci since 1998 with no sweeps by the Rodents in their own building.

Holy Cross! Before you spout off on a Sioux message board, you really should get your facts straight. Irmen and Potulny have a 3-3 record at the REA. Their freshman year, 2003-04, the Rodents got swept by the Sioux in REA. The teams split at Mariucci. In 2004-05, the teams split at REA. The Sioux, however, got the last laugh beating the Rodents at the NCAA semifinal in Columbus. This last year, the Gophers swept the Sioux at home, but split on the road. Again, the Sioux got the last laugh, at least making it to the Frozen Four again. To say that they "owned" the Sioux is not accurate. A more accurate claim is that Sioux have owned the Rodents at Mariucci: In 1998-99 win and a tie; 99-00 win and a tie; 00-01 split; 01-02 split; 02-03 split; 03-04 split; 04-05 did not play; 05-06 split. That is a record of 7-5-2 at Mariucci since 1998 with no sweeps by the Rodents in their own building.

How dare you try to confuse poor bucky with facts, shame on you.

The past two years Irmen and Potulny went 3-1 against the Sioux at the Ralph while scoring an insane amount of points. Their freshman year Irmen was on the third line and Potulny was injured and only played in about 15 games. Neither player was a go to guy until their sophomore year, the same time they started owning the Sioux at the Ralph.

And you bring up '98-'99 and '99-'00? Those were the two worst teams the Gophers have had in the last 35 years. I would hope that the Sioux would've had success against crappy teams like that especially considering how great those Sioux teams were.

And Red Wing, I wasn't defending Piper or what he said. I never called anyone a nazi and I never will. And I also think you're crazy if you think the Gophers have a better offense than the Wild. I truly think that Gaborik and Rolston could put up 90-100 pts if they played 45 games against collegians.

The past two years Irmen and Potulny went 3-1 against the Sioux at the Ralph while scoring an insane amount of points. Their freshman year Irmen was on the third line and Potulny was injured and only played in about 15 games. Neither player was a go to guy until their sophomore year, the same time they started owning the Sioux at the Ralph.

And you bring up '98-'99 and '99-'00? Those were the two worst teams the Gophers have had in the last 35 years. I would hope that the Sioux would've had success against crappy teams like that especially considering how great those Sioux teams were.

And Red Wing, I wasn't defending Piper or what he said. I never called anyone a nazi and I never will. And I also think you're crazy if you think the Gophers have a better offense than the Wild. I truly think that Gaborik and Rolston could put up 90-100 pts if they played 45 games against collegians.

And what matters is the playoffs. Since you said their freshmen year doesn't matter because they didn't play much, then we can count just the last two years. The Sioux won both playoff games against the Gophers in 2005 and Irmen and Potulny weren't even good enough to lift their team to challenge the Sioux for the Regional in 2006.

... but those two chose Minnesota for their own reasons and it didn't work out...

I pretty much agree with everything else in your post. They captured a Final Five, a regional, a McNaughton and lucrative signing bonuses. Sure HC was a bummer, but I doubt they would ever look back on their decision to go to the "U" as a bad one.

I pretty much agree with everything else in your post. They captured a Final Five, a regional, a McNaughton and lucrative signing bonuses. Sure HC was a bummer, but I doubt they would ever look back on their decision to go to the "U" as a bad one.

WOW, this thread has taken a wild turn, pretty funny, they chose U OF M TC for a reason and they both flourished there. now it is time to dislike some newbies coming in like OKPOSO and others :ohmy:

WOW, this thread has taken a wild turn, pretty funny, they chose U OF M TC for a reason and they both flourished there. now it is time to dislike some newbies coming in like OKPOSO and others :ohmy:

I really hope it's Okposo and Johnson. :lol:

And when it really mattered what happened? In Columbus Irmen looked like the beaten-up red-headed step-child while Potulny did his best impersonation of the Invisible Man. They had their chance to redeem themselves this year by winning the West regional and lost to Holy Cross. Had they played ND, my prediction would have been a another Sioux win but I guess we will never know on that one as your boys lost to HC.

Triouxper et al., I don't agree about rubbing it in on Potulny and Irman. They lost in a landmark upset, sure, and one we can all get our kicks off of, but those two chose Minnesota for their own reasons and it didn't work out. Look at Irman, he gets to rot away in the Wild farm system (and IMO, he should pray every day that he gets traded). If anything, mourn that! Local kid on a crappy team. Sad. And Irman has offensive talent. All to waste in Lemaire and Risenbrough's system. Ryan Potulny will have fun in the NHL as Philadelphia enjoys fostering offense.

Anyways, I don't see RPot and DIrman as having any relevance to Stooge A's calling us Nazis and Stooge B defending it.

Want some contraversy? If the Gophers and the Wild were to go head to head in an exhibition game, it would be a close game. The Gophers have the better offense while the Wild has the better defense/goaltending. Gophers have a better Power play and the Wild a better PK. It would be an even contest. Why am I saying this? Because NHL teams should BLOW AWAY even the best of DI and Major Junior teams. Take your pick: the Gophers are that good or the Wild are that bad.

Didn't work out? So by your logic, you'll surely admit that Z. Parise's and Bochenski's careers didn't work out. I didn't know you had to win a National Title in order for your college choice to work out. That's a new one.

If only the facts supported your ridiculous statement. The Gophers played at REA six times during the three seasons Ryan Potulny and Danny Irmen were on the team. Apparently you've chosen to forget about these games:

Nov. 7, 2003 - UND 7, Minnesota 3

Nov. 8, 2003 - UND 5, Minnesota 3

Oct. 27, 2004 - UND 4, Minnesota 2

That's not to say that Potulny and Irmen didn't have some great games against the Sioux at the Ralph, but they were never close to "owning them EVERY time."