SiouxSports.com Forum

Possible replacement names

Brent_Bobyck

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't tell me they banned a song because the guy that made it famous was convicted as a child molester (in Vietnam).

None of my band friends nor I have heard anything specific yet, just that it was offensive for some reason and that you could hear our fans shout "Hey! You Suck!" or something else in TV broadcasts of our games. I only assumed it had something to do with something we were shouting. There was a whole thread over on GPL talking about it before I even knew what the name of the song was. Right now, that site is having some hosting issues, so any information that might provide insight is at least temporarily inaccessible.

None of my band friends nor I have heard anything specific yet, just that it was offensive for some reason and that you could hear our fans shout "Hey! You Suck!" or something else in TV broadcasts of our games.

I heard it was because "Hey! Sioux suck!" was the standard refrain used in that song when UND played at Minnesota.

Gotta keep Myles, Walt and Bernie happy. :love:

I heard it was because "Hey! Sioux suck!" was the standard refrain used in that song when UND played at Minnesota.

Gotta keep Myles, Walt and Bernie happy. :love:

Yeah, it's that one. I didn't want to type it here for fear of pissing off the hosts. It is unknown which part draws the objection whether it uses the work 'suck', which though the understood meaning is "being terrible" it also happens to be a word used to describe a shall we say more than intimate maneuver, or like the PC folks at the NCAA that it is tied to the name of a team which happens to draw its name from Native Americans. Both of which are silly reasons if either of them happen to be true.

None of my band friends nor I have heard anything specific yet, just that it was offensive for some reason and that you could hear our fans shout "Hey! You Suck!" or something else in TV broadcasts of our games. I only assumed it had something to do with something we were shouting. There was a whole thread over on GPL talking about it before I even knew what the name of the song was. Right now, that site is having some hosting issues, so any information that might provide insight is at least temporarily inaccessible.

Doesn't UW do the same cheer? Might be a good weekend for the band not to play the "hey song."

How about the University of North Dakota "We have been the fighting sioux, are the fighting sioux, will always be the fighting sioux". It's a little wordy, but I like it!!

I was thinking more the line of the University of North Dakota *symbol* ala Prince (a different symbol. One that perhaps subliminally appears to be a middle finger :love: ). We can then go as "The Team formerly known as the Fighting Sioux" :lol:

I was thinking more the line of the University of North Dakota *symbol* ala Prince (a different symbol. One that perhaps subliminally appears to be a middle finger :lol: ). We can then go as "The Team formerly known as the Fighting Sioux" :sad:

That would be SWEET!! :love:

• 2 weeks later...

Why is the use of American Indian people as mascots and symbols offensive?

The continued use of American Indian people as mascots, logos, and symbols is wrong. It denies a race of people the basic right of respect. By tolerating the use of demeaning stereotypes, we desensitize and objectify people. When using a race of people as nothing more than mascots and symbols, we are teaching the next generation of non-Indian children that it is okay to participate in culturally abusive behavior.

There is no such thing as a basic right of repect. Respest is earned.

How do they see that UND is only using a race of people as nothing more than mascots and symbols when the University has a degree program based on Native American Studies, allows Native American students admission to the university with other non-native American students, that's called intergration I believe and promotes social interaction.

When you take a look at the big picture of the answer given to the question above you see how really baseless it is. And it shows that Native Americans that support group think like this actually disrepectful of the non-Indian educational system that they use to better their own causes and have educated generations of non-Indian students to not participate in cultural abusive behavior, but to embrase and interact with those who are differant from us.

My choices for names:

#1 Fighting Sioux

#2 University of North Dakota (no nickname)

#3 Norsemen

I think it is time that Myles Brand and the NCAA disclose how much money Native Americans have contributed to the NCAA coffers on behave of this endeavor. Actually, I think there may be basis for a reverse discrimination case here.

I think it is time that Myles Brand and the NCAA disclose how much money Native Americans have contributed to the NCAA coffers on behave of this endeavor.

As much as I believe in the Fighting Sioux name and logo, this type of statement is NOT something I believe to be true or agree with.

How about having no name at all and just have a symbol, similar to Prince.

UND "The Team formerly known as the Fighting Sioux"

This could be our logo (thanks Prince)

PrinceSymbol.jpg

Would that all fit on a hockey jersey?

i agree with this totally :glare::D;) so what would we chant? "The team formerly know as the fighting sioux" will be too long.

As much as I believe in the Fighting Sioux name and logo, this type of statement is NOT something I believe to be true or agree with.

Agreed. It's not a money thing. It's an ideology thing.

[Agreed. It's not a money thing. It's an ideology thing.

But you won't know unless you ask. It might be an ideology for the Native American Indians, but what is the motivation of the NCAA?

But you won't know unless you ask.

You can ask, but it's silly and there's no reason the NCAA has to tell you.

It might be an ideology for the Native American Indians, but what is the motivation of the NCAA?

Guilt. Righting historical injustices. Brand's desire to make the NCAA the conscience of college athletics and a catalyst for social change. That sort of thing. It's all been covered in the threads of these forums many, many times.

No matter who had it first or what you tell people, that logo will ALWAYS be associated with the Fighting Irish.

FlameLogo1.gif > NDLogo.gif

I'm not interested in 'Possible replacement names' because it's going to be a long time, if ever, before WE decide to change our name and logo. But I have to agree with dakotadan about the interlocking UND logo. I was at the 'Hawks/Oilers game last week, wearing my white Sioux jersey (the one with the Indian Head logo and Sioux name across the front) and a guy yelled at me, "Go Irish". I looked confused and he said "I love Notre Dame". The smaller interlocking UND logo is on the upper arm of that jersey.

People see what they wanna see.

I'm not interested in 'Possible replacement names' because it's going to be a long time, if ever, before WE decide to change our name and logo.

I'm 100 percent in agreement with you there. Let's see what happens on April 27 and what UND decides to do after that. Talking about replacement names makes it seem as if we're conceding the battle to the NCAA.

But I have to agree with dakotadan about the interlocking UND logo. I was at the 'Hawks/Oilers game last week, wearing my white Sioux jersey (the one with the Indian Head logo and Sioux name across the front) and a guy yelled at me, "Go Irish". I looked confused and he said "I love Notre Dame". The smaller interlocking UND logo is on the upper arm of that jersey.

People see what they wanna see.

Does anyone else remember when UND was playing GVSU for the Division II football championship and one of the ESPN sportscasters called North Dakota "Notre Dame"? He was confused by the interlocking logo.

I preferred the old geometric Sioux logo to the Blackhawk's logo because it was unique to UND. For the same reason, I prefer the new Sioux logo to the Blackhawk's logo. That's why I'd like to see the interlocking ND replaced with something original and unique to UND.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is going to seem odd and completely ludicrous, but so is this entire NCAA regulation so here goes:

What about renaming every team but the hockey team to something else? The post season rules only really affect them, not the hockey team. The NCAA already decided that they wanted to hold all regionals at neutral sites and will only assign such sites after 2006 (unless already named... IIRC). So, in other words, apart from the jersey and more than likely the commentating, it doesn't affect the hockey team at all.

So... what do you think?

Just drop the nickname entirely for the football and basketball teams and there you go?