SiouxSports.com Forum

Smaby

siouxhockey5

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard a rumor floating in Columbus that the NHL was going to lock out the players for one more full season and then start back in '07 without a players association.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That sounds like a good idea to me. You won't have fans so why the hell have a Players Association?

The first DU goal:

Smaby made the right play trying to get a skate on it. There were two DU sticks waiting to pound the puck into the open net. He got a skate on it but to no avail.

The second DU goal:

He had the man tied up so the tip would go wide and it worked. How do we know? The tip hit Smaby! By bad fortune the puck went off Smaby and into the top of the net.

Neither are a defenseman's fault. If he hadn't been there in either case, then blame someone.

I agree the first two goals were Smaby being in the wrong place at the wrong time. But the second one might have been a bad tie up. I'm not sure because I couldn't really tell on the replay but it looked like his guy got a stick on it and tipped it in or otherwise it was bad luck and it went off him. The third goal on the other hand was because Smaby was reaching and not moving his feet and was beat just in front of the blue line to set up an odd man rush in our zone.

I would think with the feeling of the bitter loss that the two Matt's would want to take another shot at it. The Lightning GM who said that is probably some Canadian who does not like US College hockey. North Dakota is a great place to develop your skills in the NHL, I don't care what that guy says. We really cannot afford to lose Greene or Smaby if we hope to be a championship run, the defense will just be too young and inexperienced. We would be playing basically 4 freshman regularly in Lee, Chorney, Jones, and Radke. Those d-men will not be a very physical group, they are more the skating/puck moving types.

IF the Matt's both leave (I'm guessing one does, the other stays), the incoming freshman class will have to carry over their torrid scoring from SSM and the BCHL. With such a young d-corps, the 05-06 Sioux will have to win a bunch of 7-6 games. I am hoping against hope that Smaby gives the Sioux one more year; I can't imagine how the AHL or ECHL could be any more physical than 28 WCHA games.

Seeing how well the defensemen have played over the course of their careers, and how well they have played down the stretch this year, it's very difficult for me to accept anyone who thinks defensemen DON'T develop significantly and positively at UND. And develop in a PRO fashion.

(jk, insert Clement's quote here)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Bill Clement quote should be sent to that Tampa idiot. Did he watch the frozen four or the regional. Smaby will stay I am 99.5% confident in that. I do not even think he is ready to jump up a level before the end of the season run he had basically a pretty lousy season. Greene is more like 50/50.

The Bill Clement quote should be sent to that Tampa idiot. Did he watch the frozen four or the regional. Smaby will stay I am 99.5% confident in that. I do not even think he is ready to jump up a level before the end of the season run he had basically a pretty lousy season. Greene is more like 50/50.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am also pretty confident he will be back, but ask Gopher fans how "ready" Jake Taylor was. Not many people saw him leaving early.

I am also pretty confident he will be back, but ask Gopher fans how "ready" Jake Taylor was. Not many people saw him leaving early.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was a little different situation last year for Taylor. He was leaving to get a contract under the old bargaining agreement, I think. Wouldn't the Matt's have to sign a "player tryout" or something similar to that, since they wouldn't be able to sign players under the old agreement.

I may be wrong on this, since everything with the N(o)HL is messed up right now.

On the second goal, I read a quote from Stasney that said the puck went in off his back end. Didn't see the replay so don't know for sure.

As for Greene, a reliable inside source told me he has already made the decision and will not be back in Sioux green next year. If that is so, thanks for the memories Matt. I sure enjoyed watching you destroy guys the last three years. Best of luck.

As for Greene, a reliable inside source told me he has already made the decision and will not be back in Sioux green next year. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldn't attend Fargo Sioux Boosters today, but a friend of mine did. Here is what he told me:

Evidently, Hakstol thinks Smaby will be back and said that it is about 90/10 he returns. DH noted MS's development of late and how he is in the right place to continue that development and believes that Tampa understands that.

He wasn't as sure about Matt Greene and gave him only a 50/50 chance of returning, but from what DH said, MG hasn't yet made any decisions.

Some very, very, very general comments about recruiting, NOTHING about specific recruits. UND may be bringing in up to three more guys for next season, but will know more after the playoffs end up in Canada. There is the possibility of another commit coming soon.

As for Greene, a reliable inside source told me he has already made the decision and will not be back in Sioux green next year.  If that is so, thanks for the memories Matt.  I sure enjoyed watching you destroy guys the last three years.  Best of luck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Geez. I was standing right there with you talking to "The Source" who, it should be said for the record, had about a quart full of vodka in him at the time. I was certain that The Source said that Greene would in fact be back in a Sioux uni next season, as that is what his handlers all feel is best.

It would be really great to see Greene back. If he is, it would be really really nice if some folks would stop their incessant whining about the penalties that he sometimes takes. Greene is a Force. Forces sometimes are penalized for being a Force. It is part of being a Force.

It would be really great to see Greene back.  If he is, it would be really really nice if some folks  would stop their incessant whining about the penalties that he sometimes  takes.  Greene  is a Force.  Forces sometimes are penalized for being a Force.  It is part of being a Force.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly.

I would venture a guess that if someone started a poll, God forbid, asking whether Sioux fans wanted Greene to return or felt it best that he leave, that the results would be a landslide in favor of his return.

Just like Blais said about Commodore's departure being the difference in UND not repeating in 2001, Greene's return could likely be the difference maker in UND's drive toward a trip to Milwaukee next season.

It would be really great to see Greene back. If he is, it would be really really nice if some folks would stop their incessant whining about the penalties that he sometimes takes. Greene is a Force. Forces sometimes are penalized for being a Force. It is part of being a Force.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There has always been complaining about certain Sioux players taking too many penalties (prior to Al's internet). I remember a boatload of complaining about Archie taking dumb penalties in the early 80's. He's now a Sioux cult hero for his nastiness. I suspect Greene will be to, but hope he waits one more year before attaining that status.

On the second goal, I read a quote from Stasney that said the puck went in off his back end.  Didn't see the replay so don't know for sure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I recall reading an article where Smaby admitted after the game that the second DU goal deflected off his knee after hitting Stastny. From my perspective, on both goals Smaby was trying to do his job, being where he was supposed to be, and the bounces went against him. A defenseman is to clear out the front of the net while tying up the opponents stick. On the Stastny goal Smaby did just that, and as a result the deflection was able to go past Parise. It is pretty tough for a defenseman to be responsible for controlling the a$$ end of the opposing player, clearing the front of the net, tying up the stick, and preventing lucky bounces all at the same time. The Sioux lost this game because Murphy's Law on lucky bounces went against them.

Let's be sure that Smaby sees and feels fan support for his play and tremendous improvement this year. He certainly must feel bad enough about those two goals without fans piling on inappropriate blame. That support would be just one more reason for him to stay next year.

I'm not sure I've read any posts in any way placing blame on Smaby for either goal. Smaby was an absolute force both games. It would be a HUGE loss if he decides to leave early.

NDH, the "Source" changed his story after he sobered up. My hope is that he is wrong on the Greene info in the same way he was wrong to pound that 15th Vodka/Grapefruit before offering to take on that DU tailgate mob. Lucky he had the muscle of you and I to back him up.

I'm not sure I've read any posts in any way placing blame on Smaby for either goal.  Smaby was an absolute force both games.  It would be a HUGE loss if he decides to leave early.

NDH, the "Source" changed his story after he sobered up.  My hope is that he is wrong on the Greene info in the same way he was wrong to pound that 15th Vodka/Grapefruit before offering to take on that DU tailgate mob.  Lucky he had the muscle of you and I to back him up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For the record, "The Source" was drinking Vodka / orange juice, it just looked like grapefruit due to the large amount of vodka. ??? He was also glad you guys were there to pull on each of his arms away from DU mob. And yes, "The Source" is right, Greene won't be back next year :lol: