SiouxSports.com Forum

Smaby

siouxhockey5

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, I got up early on Friday morning to watch the Pope's Send-Off.  Much to my surprise, there, in the third row with all of the foreign dignitaries, sat The Source.  I am not sure how he snuck his vodka/orange juice in past the Vatican Guard but there he sat.  He is near omnipresent, and near all-knowing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:

By the way, I got up early on Friday morning to watch the Pope's Send-Off.  Much to my surprise, there, in the third row with all of the foreign dignitaries, sat The Source.  I am not sure how he snuck his vodka/orange juice in past the Vatican Guard but there he sat.  He is near omnipresent, and near all-knowing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They stuck Zach in the third row? Maybe it's just me, but I don't think sticking a deity in the third row for the Pope's funeral is a good idea.

They stuck Zach in the third row?  Maybe it's just me, but I don't think sticking a deity in the third row for the Pope's funeral is a good idea.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Zach? Who is Zach? Zach is but one of the men "behind the curtain," just one of many of The Source's guys, or handlers. Working the controls, making the arrangements, booking the flights to Rome, passing on the info. Info from . . . .The Source.

The Source is the source of course of course. The Source says that The Force is gone, but that Smaby will stay, as well he should. Smaby is a fine fine defenseman, but he still needs alot of work on how to best postion himself. He can get that work in the WCHA just as well, if not better, than he can anywhere else.

The article by DJ Powers says that Smaby played in all 44 games for the Sioux this year. This is not true. Smaby was in street clothes for one of the games in Colorado Springs.

It is amazing how fast and loose some of these so-called hockey writers play with the facts.

They should take a lesson in sound journalism, and solid fact checking, from our resident scribe, PCM.

Of course, PCM has The Source to approach, always on bended knee, when he needs a line on solid, reliable, information.

They should take a lesson in sound journalism, and solid fact checking, from our resident scribe, PCM.

Of course, PCM has The Source to approach, always on bended knee, when he needs a line on solid, reliable, information.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/quote Here is the word from sioux camp. Smaby stays and as far as Greene it all comes down to what the NHL plans to do. Greene has people in his camp that wants what is best for Matt. This could be a degree from UND or it could be the NHL. All hope is not lost there is still a slim chance he stays.

As far as the funeral and the vodka drink that was no problem. I just put the beverage in my green wig.

T.J. Oshie for Hobey

THE SOURCE OF COURSE

Welcome Aboard Source . . . . thanks for the read. I am really psyched, and firmly believe that Greene will return to anchor the D. When he does, I am gonna have little patience for people crying about his play and his penalties. Won't hear it.

Hey Source, you still saying Tettrezinni, or however you spell his name, will be the last man standing when the smoke puffs white from the Vatican? Can I book it?

Welcome Aboard Source . . . . thanks for the read.  I am really psyched, and firmly believe that Greene will return to anchor the D.  When he does, I am gonna have little patience for people crying about his play and his penalties.  Won't hear it.

Hey Source, you still saying Tettrezinni, or however you spell his name, will be the last man standing when the smoke puffs white from the Vatican?  Can I book it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tettrezinni is a solid 1st roud pick for the pope but don't leave out some one from south america or mexico 2 dark horses in the race. I'll keep you psoted.

"the source"

I'm not sure I've read any posts in any way placing blame on Smaby for either goal.  Smaby was an absolute force both games.  It would be a HUGE loss if he decides to leave early.

7>4, I have to agree. I didn't read back through this thread to see if anyone took shots at Matt, but after having watched the goals scored in this game again I don't see how Matt can be blamed, or take the blame, for any of those goals. Looked to me like he was just in the place where the puck would bounce off him in the wrong direction, which is nothing other than luck or "bounces".

Prior to this year I really didn't buy into the "bounce" idea. "We just didn't get the bounces". I thought it was baloney. I still do, when it comes to a team that has a run of not getting the job done.

But in a one-game situation, I realize that bounces DO play a part, and sometimes are THE story of the game. I realize I've seen enough Sioux hockey games where a "bounce" won the game (Spiewak beating Miller, deflection off Leinweber's stick goes past Karl in the 2001 game, Hale ties CC a couple years ago near the end of the game on a ping pong puck, etc) to know that it's not always how good you do your job, it's which way the puck bounced that game.

A matter of inches of where Smaby is positioned could have been the difference in the game, and Matt can't be blamed for that. It appears he was doing his job and doing it effectively (as he had the past couple of months). Hopefully he's not taking it personally because I don't see any reason he could be held accountable. Matt's play down the stretch was one of the reasons the Sioux made it as far as they did. Clement loved talking about big Matt.

Hopefully vaht motivates Matt over the summer is how good he played over many games vs. a couple of unlucky bounces.

Simply put, #27 has the potential to be more physically imposing than #2, without taking quite as many penalties. I don't think he's naturally as nasty as #2 (which accounts for the penalty differential), but good luck with either of them in the corners. My only concern with Smaby is going to be conditioning next year, because he's going to have to play 30-40 minutes a game.

Simply put, #27 has the potential to be more physically imposing than #2, without taking quite as many penalties.  I don't think he's naturally as nasty as #2 (which accounts for the penalty differential), but good luck with either of them in the corners.  My only concern with Smaby is going to be conditioning next year, because he's going to have to play 30-40 minutes a game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really think this is true. I also think he could, if he sticks around, be the next Matt Greene in leadership as well.

Look at it this way: Matt Smaby, during the playoffs, reminded me of David Hale. He was crushing EVERYONE.

It's one thing to crush someone against the boards and then go on, but when Smaby does it, you slide down like a cartoon character hitting a wall.

I really like Matt, I always have. Matt Greene and Matt Smaby, the real bash brothers :silly:

Even ignoring the physical presence of Matt Smaby (which is tough for anybody to do), his tremendous play on defense down the stretch indicates that he could be quite the leader on this team next, whether he does it vocally or just by his intensity and play. Matt is a critical component of this team, and every Sioux fan should be eager to have him in the Sioux Green and white this fall.

Even with my Canada fishing trip, it will seem like forever until the next Sioux game. :silly:

Dear Mr. Smaby,

Go pro now.

Sincerely,

Danny Irmen

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah it was great seeing Danny Boy Irmen get flattened a few times in that game. Prpich leveled him once as well. His only response was to take a run at Greene and draw a boneheaded penalty. Nice game Danny Boy, you and Potulny both sucked!! :silly:

Smaby is tough.  He put Grant P. out for several weeks with a hit at Mariucci as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You must mean Ryan Potulny... Matt Smaby is a freshman this year...Grant wasn't around this year.

You must mean Ryan Potulny... Matt Smaby is a freshman this year...Grant wasn't around this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Smaby is a sophomore. I believe sagard is correct. I remember Doug Woog complaining about Smaby's hit on Grant Potulny.

I rewatched that game too.  Irmen's a big tough player but Matt Smaby absolutely destroyed him.  Thanks to whoever pointed that out so I could watch for it.

:silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't seen the replay, but seeing it live was great. It looked like Irmen was crossing the ice looking to make a pass and did not see Smaby. It was one of the more solid open ice hits I have ever seen.

I liked that play because the hit was clean and though Irmen was obviously hurt, he was not injured. If anyone has a clip of that hit please send it to me.

One positive sign for Radke is that Smaby did not have a good freshman season. This year you could see the monster that he is.