SiouxSports.com Forum

Smaby

siouxhockey5

There is an interesting article on the front page on nhl.com talking about the prospects of the tampa bay lightning organization. In the article it talks about Matt Smaby, and how they want him to play somewhere other than college. They talk about the crack down on the obstruction not good for the development for a physical player. Now, I may be wrong, but I didn't see Matt get a penalty last night, and he was extremely physical. I am very impressed by the way this youngster has developed and am very comfortable when hes out on the ice. Keep up the great play.

Siouxhockey5

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smaby has been playing very well as of late, and he's been physical as well as effective. He hasn't made too many trips to the box either.

I think the whole "big defensemen are at a disadvantage due to the new rules" is bogus. I think it's just assumed that big defensemen have a problem. I don't buy it.

Smaby has really lifted his game lately, it seems that can be said for every member of the team. He played real well at the end of last year but this year he is playing very physical without drawing hardly any penalties. I loved the play in the BC game where the little BC forward tried to go wide on him and could not get past him and Smaby just smashed him into the boards. Clement was really raving about that hit.

I think the whole "big defensemen are at a disadvantage due to the new rules" is bogus.  I think it's just assumed that big defensemen have a problem.  I don't buy it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Why wouldn't any NHL team want a big defenseman who can play physical and not take penalties? I'd say it's a plus, not a minus.

He can be more physical after college ... what the NCAA "new rules" are doing is force the big guys to work on agility, anticipating plays, and using smarts and patience to win rather than just sticking out a big stick and slowing someone down. In other words, there's some significant advantages to staying at UND.

I hope Matt stays around UND for a couple more years. I was very critical of his play earlier this year and am very pleased to say he has elevated his game incredibly. He has all the tools to be a stalwart on the blueline, something the Sioux will need next year with all the graduations.

As someone who has advocated for him time and time again since he first laced up his skates for UND, I can say with whole hearted certainty that Matt Smaby brings a LOT to the Sioux.

He's big, true. Physical, true. But with the way he's progressing, he could even, yes, I dare say it, be better than Matt Greene.

He has natural talent that's abounding in every play he makes. His nerves around the puck (when he's handling it) seem to be disappearing now, and that was primarily his biggest issue these past two years.

If we lose Matt Greene, which I think we very well might, Matt Smaby's role on the Sioux defense becomes exceptionally huge. He IS going to be filling Greene's skates if Greene signs.

I can say right now that I'm not worried if Greene does, but if the Lightening win out, we could be in big trouble.

One player who would like to see Smaby move on has got to be Danny Irmen. I watched last night's game on tape a couple of times and among many other positive things, I noticed:

1) Irmen picking himself up off the ice a number of times, and

2) Smaby was often the one who sent him sprawling

Today's Grand Forks Herald has an article about Matt Smaby that includes the Feaster quote:

How long Smaby will stay at UND is up for question. In a story posted Thursday on NHL.com, Tampa Bay Lightning general manager Jay Feaster is quoted as saying he'd like Smaby to leave UND.

"With the NCAA crackdown on obstruction, physical play and play along the boards, I don't know if college is the right place for a physical player like Smaby to develop as a pro," Feaster said. "We're still high on him, but we have to get him playing North American pro hockey, not college."

This quote speaks volumes about the current state of play in the NHL (if it ever plays again) and reinforces why I enjoy watching college hockey so much more than the pro game. In essence, Feaster is saying that Tampa Bay wants Smaby to learn to hook, hold and obstruct, and if he doesn't, it hurts his development for the NHL.

If that's what it takes to become a good NHL defenseman, then I don't care if the NHL ever comes back.

Smaby has been playing very well as of late, and he's been physical as well as effective.  He hasn't made too many trips to the box either.

I think the whole "big defensemen are at a disadvantage due to the new rules" is bogus.  I think it's just assumed that big defensemen have a problem.  I don't buy it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which is really the truth, Matt has been a horse and has done a awesome job. Forunately the refs did a good job the other night in the Semis not calling the Ticky Tacky penatlies, the running over of our goaltender was B.S. and should have been called if it had been any other team beside the golden boys from Minnesota it would have probably been a five minute major.

That being said, Matt has done a good job keeping the players in front and to the sides and not in front of the net. I hope he doesn't listen to the clowns from the Tampa organization. Even with their stanley cup I have always considered them a second rate organization.

Mr. Feaster obviously hasn't even watched Smaby play at UND. Matt came here and spent the entire first half of his freshman season standing around while Andy Schneider ran around like a chicken with his head cut off trying to cover for Matt. Now Matt Smaby is knocking the crap out of guys and playing great defensive hockey. Now while Matt is a pretty good player, I don't think he singlehandedly did this by himself. I'd think he probably learned at least a little something from say Brad Berry or Dean Blais or Matt Jones and unless I'm mistaken, all of those guys are/were at UND at some point in the last two years. Maybe I'm crazy though. You don't even notice him on the ice because he simply is doing his job and is managing to do it without having to tackle opposing players. How is this a bad thing?

Maybe I'm crazy though. You don't even notice him on the ice because he simply is doing his job and is managing to do it without having to tackle opposing players.  How is this a bad thing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have company if true. :ohmy: Actually Matt has played awesome and is getting some props for it. I wouldn't want to play against him.

From the INCH Frozen Four Notebook:

Because of those bounces, Smaby, a 6-foot-5, 220-pounder from Minneapolis with three points this year, is doomed to be remembered as the guy who basically scored twice as many goals against his own team in the national title game as he potted into the correct net all season. People will forget that he actually played pretty well against the tough Pioneer attack Thursday and that the only reason anybody is writing about him today is cruel fate.

The only proper response to this is: :ohmy:

This is why I really feel bad for him.

He played so well the entire second half of the season and then stepped up (if you can from playing as well as he was) during the NCAAs.

He was a top quality defender and it really wouldn't matter who it was, be it Greene, Schneider, or whomever, it was puck luck that had his skate where it was.

You cannot hold it against him, but that won't stop him from questioning himself. I hope he doesn't beat himself up over this.

It was a fluke.

Get 'em next year, Matt! Stay cool!

I blame Matt's skates much more than I blame Matt.  I doubt he'll ever wear those skates again. :ohmy:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, that would be the first thing I'd do.

Get him some new skates and burn the ones worn during the game as a means of ridding himself of the bad fate within them.

Even if you aren't superstitious, (or more importantly if Matt isn't superstitious) this could help him feel better.

I don't have a problem with what INCH wrote.

...the only reason anybody is writing about him today is cruel fate.

I think they're saying that he played very well as a defenseman, and usually a defenseman that plays well doesn't get mentioned. However, it was just plain bad luck that pucks went in off his skate. Not his fault, but he's going to get press because of it.

Today's Grand Forks Herald has an article about Matt Smaby that includes the Feaster quote:

This quote speaks volumes about the current state of play in the NHL (if it ever plays again) and reinforces why I enjoy watching college hockey so much more than the pro game. In essence, Feaster is saying that Tampa Bay wants Smaby to learn to hook, hold and obstruct, and if he doesn't, it hurts his development for the NHL.

If that's what it takes to become a good NHL defenseman, then I don't care if the NHL ever comes back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is exactly what I was thinking. If the NHL doesn't change the rules so more players like Jeff Panzer, Marty Sertich, and Colin Murphy can excel at the pro game, the more I will continue to give a rats ass about what happens in the NHL. It is far better for a player to develop into the absolute physical presence that Smaby is without having to hold and obstruct. When the NHL brain trust comes to this realization, guys who can play like Smaby are going to be priceless.

I sure hope to see Matt in Sioux green next year. We had a great time watching him this year.

Also, anybody who says that Smaby will be remembered for "scoring" two goals against his team is an idiot. Smaby and all the Sioux D-men were like men against boys the whole weekend. That quote alone is why I never look to INCH for any hockey news. I use PCM as my sole source. ???

I sure hope to see Matt in Sioux green next year.  We had a great time watching him this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a feeling we might have seen the last of Matt Greene in a Sioux Uniform.

Just a hunch. It will be interesting to see if he stays.