SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Youngstown. 10/26/24

SiouxFan100

1 hour ago, rochsioux said:

I would respectfully disagree on going for two. If you’re the better team (supposedly) you don’t risk the game on a single play.

Bubba seems to have realized by now though that his supposed calling card as a coach—the defense— is absolutely terrible, so he doesn’t show much confidence in them.  The fact that he hasn’t been able to fix the defense in forever, as well as his inability to figure out a way for his team to perform on the road is a huge indictment on his regime.  Is there any requirement from the administration for him to take at least small steps forward?

You won’t get better players with this coaching regime 

‘if I was Romfo I would be pissed that he wasn’t left in for the 2 point conversion

and be pissed that they didn’t go for 1 

It’s big loss and going for the 2 point was done at wrong time should have done it after first touchdown in second half. If they made it then we would  have won it regulation if not would put us must score mentality instead of playing prevent. Second with way Romfo had been playing would been much better choice because Youngstown would have to defend both the run and the pass. Defense we’re not deep enough at defensive line don’t who was responsible for not being deeper. This at least third year in row where showing lack of depth. In front line. Especially when we run 3-4 defense not having at least 8-9 players that are ready to play should be priority.

Second besides Bo our threat at receiver  drops from receiving point of view. Our passing numbers should have been better several drop balls and receivers falling or slipping without contact.

How big a loss is this for casual fan at Und because if you look by media reports attention has switched to UND Hockey. We had good season until now but casual sports fan focus is hockey since start of hockey season.  This is  goes for other sports too and what casual fan believes where UND has chance for national championship is hockey. Right or wrong this perception of UND sports for upper Midwest. The days when football, Women’s basketball and men’s basketball were winning or chasing national championships are long forgotten by most casual fans or UND students.  I am not picking on hockey but this has been the change in UND sports by administrations, Media,and finally by community plus the region. Just my opinion and what I believe is the state of UND sports.

1 hour ago, rochsioux said:

I would respectfully disagree on going for two. If you’re the better team (supposedly) you don’t risk the game on a single play.

We weren't the better team.  The only reason the game was closed is because the refs spotted us 14 points.  I didn't particularly have a problem with going for two there, but I can't in my mind imagine a play where we would be better off having Quincy Vaughn in than running our normal offense. Did the bubba regime not have enough iconic poor play call blunders already?  I suspect that asinine play call will cost us the playoffs.

The life of a UND football fan in a nutshell

• The defense plays so badly against a terrible team that the terrible team puts up totally crazy offensive yardage and scores 41 pts
  • The offense plays quite well and yet manages to screw up the last drive in regulation and somehow calls the one of the most ridiculous 2pt conversion plays I have ever seen to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory.

Again.. 95% of the loss was on the defense.. really inexcusable.. you had one person to stop.. ONE PERSON!! everyone knew it.. they talked about it on every single podcast / talkshow etc.. This was the most predictable thing in the world.. stop the QB from running for 150 yds and you prob win.. make him throw.. make him hand off.. just dont let him run for 176 fn yards..

I can hardly put into words how much I hate the 2pt conversion play call..  I would have preferred to kick the xtra pt and keep playing,, once everyone that was watching realized we were going for 2 (including calling a timeout to prepare).. it was time to put in the regular offense and run our best 3 yrd play.. Quincy can get 2 yds all day long.. 2.5 yds is not his wheelhouse.. really dumb play.. really dumb play. if you need 1 yd or 1.5yds.. I love seeing quincy run out.. using him for this play was about as dumb as it gets.

Again.. defense was the problem.. and yet because we cant do the easy stuff we are talking about one of the dumbest two pt attempts that you have ever seen.  crazy...

By the way.. Simon had a great game.. some great throws and that last scramble was awesome.. keep doing more of that!  Defense still sucks.. man it sucks.. wet paper bag.. hot knife.. butter.. all the stuff..

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

It’s big loss and going for the 2 point was done at wrong time should have done it after first touchdown in second half. If they made it then we would  have won it regulation if not would put us must score mentality instead of playing prevent. Second with way Romfo had been playing would been much better choice because Youngstown would have to defend both the run and the pass. Defense we’re not deep enough at defensive line don’t who was responsible for not being deeper. This at least third year in row where showing lack of depth. In front line. Especially when we run 3-4 defense not having at least 8-9 players that are ready to play should be priority.

Second besides Bo our threat at receiver  drops from receiving point of view. Our passing numbers should have been better several drop balls and receivers falling or slipping without contact.

How big a loss is this for casual fan at Und because if you look by media reports attention has switched to UND Hockey. We had good season until now but casual sports fan focus is hockey since start of hockey season.  This is  goes for other sports too and what casual fan believes where UND has chance for national championship is hockey. Right or wrong this perception of UND sports for upper Midwest. The days when football, Women’s basketball and men’s basketball were winning or chasing national championships are long forgotten by most casual fans or UND students.  I am not picking on hockey but this has been the change in UND sports by administrations, Media,and finally by community plus the region. Just my opinion and what I believe is the state of UND sports.

No disrespect, but thinking back, since the transition, lack of depth has been the issue with running the 3-4 at this university since Bubba has been on the job.  This has been a constant topic on this board always. And its true, not enough capable linebackers are able to be signed to run a proficient 3-4 for a solid season.  But evolution, changes and more capable recruiting never takes place so some years you can talk and brag about parts of the defense and be totally correct but as soon as one suffers a bad injury, graduation or transfer....Trouble on the mound coach!  If the coach doesn't evolve to the needs of his team or the deficient parts of the team, the team is not going to accomplish all goals, so from looking at this team during its Division 1 run, one thing is constant, and I know we have passionate fans on this board so I won't point anything out blantantly,..... but, Coach Bubba would you like to comment :)

On 10/5/2024 at 9:20 PM, Cratter said:

Actually i think we are sorta making the same point.

No big deal losing to the strongest team in the country.

The goal is to make deep playoff runs and contend for a title.

That's the bigger goal.

Losing to the Dakota States doesn't hurt playoff chances because everyone knows how strong they are.

That's small picture stuff. Bubba will lose to unknown teams this year probably before and/or during the playoffs.

That's the bigger picture. And that's the real issue here.

This game could have been an FCS semifinal. Then we'd lose and it wouldn't be "mediocre expectations".

It would have been meeting expectations only difference was UND made a nice deep playoff run.

UND isn't even close to that yet. 

Accomplish step one first! 

As I was saying in the NDSU game thread...it's these type of losses...not to NDSU.

"Bubba will lose to unknown teams."

He sucks on the road. All this is very predictable. Bubble team. Lose in first round or maybe get lucky and lose in second rd if host a playoff game.

3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

As I was saying in the NDSU game thread...it's these type of losses...not to NDSU.

"Bubba will lose to unknown teams."

He sucks on the road. All this is very predictable. Bubble team. Lose in first round or maybe get lucky and lose in second rd if host a playoff game.

Bubba will lose to both SD schools this year, and you play an improving IStU. team at their house, UND won't be able to host a playoff game, I don't believe and I am afraid the playoffs are in serious question whether UND will be taking part in them this year.

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

But Chaves love mediocre programs so we are assured of at least another season of this. 
Look at MBB, WBB, VB, SB, Soccer.  

Are you a booster? Why put up with this !@#$? I'm sure there is enough of you to put pressure on admin to make changes, I keep hearing about strong football heritage and culture that I would say only used to exist, from outside looking in I see less national championships than Northern Colorado and that was at Div. II, you boosters need to forget about giving grace and go collect some heads, I've seen it at lower levels, but you have to Take Part! The time for being disappointed has finished after the home Richmond loss, time to act is now!! If your not a big influencial booster I am sure you know some that you can fire up!!I t would be so amazing seeing 4 Dakota schools and a stronger N. Iowa powering through a conference and battling like I saw w/ NDSU v. SDSU year in and out but you guys are losing ground! And if Admin is statis q., then make them be accountable!!  The MSVFC is what real football fans would really tie their carriage too.  Make those fucks listen or get out of the way!!