SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Iowa State 8/31/24

SiouxFan100

5 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

https://hotmicwithdomizzo.libsyn.com/932024-mike-mcfeely-larry-fontaine-and-steve-laqua

39:10 McFeely and Izzo discuss UND’s performance at Iowa St.

McFeely also ribs Izzo for predicting UND to go 4-8, Calling it now that McFeely is a closeted UND football fan……

McFeely has never shied away from ripping NDSU or calling people out for pro-NDSU bias.

8 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

https://hotmicwithdomizzo.libsyn.com/932024-mike-mcfeely-larry-fontaine-and-steve-laqua

McFeely also ribs Izzo for predicting UND to go 4-8, Calling it now that McFeely is a closeted UND football fan……

Does anyone seriously pay any attention to Dum Azzo?

10 minutes ago, Big Green said:

If Jerry and Trey could run as well as Romfo, the coaches would have had designated plays for them last year.  

The same coach(s) that win about 51% of their games over 20 years?

Without seeing Trey or Jerry run in a meaningjul game I don't know but assuming Simon is the better of them as far as running but after 7 years of noodle arm and zero playoff wins* I want to see the ball go more than 5 yds downfield like we used to do in our D2 days of glory....

#bringbackkelbyklostermann

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

McFeely is a Moorhead State guy and nothing else.   He likes to troll the NDSU guys with jabs at them and probably tries to get under their skin by promoting UND.   I doubt he cares about much outside of the FM metro area.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

2:38 almost sounds like Bison defeating Colorado? 

On 9/2/2024 at 8:40 PM, UND1983 said:

Our AD has low/mid expectations and there is no way to argue that. Look at the results of the teams.  

No question. All the positive talk coming out of Ames is nauseating - UND lost the game by multiple scores yet some are promoting the game as a basic victory. Expectations still need to be notched up if UND football wants to be the talk of the town/region. Still living in NDSU’s shadow, and ironically it is somewhat self-imposed (although the media presence being entirely in Fargo does not help). There’s plenty of opportunity, though, which keeps the UND faithful coming back for more. UND AD needs to step up and get this thing to the finish line. The facilities are a very nice addition - very nice - but the final touch needed for UND is intangible.

17 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

McFooly says whatever he thinks will generate some angry clicks.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

No question. All the positive talk coming out of Ames is nauseating - UND lost the game by multiple scores yet some are promoting the game as a basic victory. Expectations still need to be notched up if UND football wants to be the talk of the town/region. Still living in NDSU’s shadow, and ironically it is somewhat self-imposed (although the media presence being entirely in Fargo does not help). There’s plenty of opportunity, though, which keeps the UND faithful coming back for more. UND AD needs to step up and get this thing to the finish line. The facilities are a very nice addition - very nice - but the final touch needed for UND is intangible.

I guess I haven't seen anyone calling this a win or a moral victory; maybe there have been some. For me, I was just surprised with some of the positive takeaways:

-O line was far better than I expected given the losses.

-Run game is deep. Z is fun to watch and I'd like to see Seidel get some more touches.

-LB play was good; Rucker was noticeable.

-D played much better than I was expecting. Holding down the run and forcing some punts. We gave up 21 points (or more) 8 times last year (to FCS schools) ... 9 with the Boise loss (which was ugly). 

Obviously there were some glaring issues as well:

-A few of Romfo's passes; the missed TD pass to Nate D. But lets let the kid settle in a bit.

-Kicking - Can't be missing some of these FGs or sending kick offs out of bounds.

-Pass protection - I'm sure this will get better, but I was actually impressed with the coverage on the first play. Safeties were all over that guy; no clue how he reeled it in.

-D line needs to get more pressure on the QB.

Montana should get a more well rounded picture of where this team sits, and I'll be interested to see how Iowa St does moving forward as well.

• Upvote 4

I've always thought that early in the season the D has the advantage over the O as far as being ready. D gets to re-act, O has lots of pieces that all need to work together. If the O line continues to hold their own we have the running backs to grind it out. D has got to figure out a way to get pressure to the QB, last year was abysmal. 

53 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I guess I haven't seen anyone calling this a win or a moral victory; maybe there have been some. For me, I was just surprised with some of the positive takeaways:

-O line was far better than I expected given the losses.

-Run game is deep. Z is fun to watch and I'd like to see Seidel get some more touches.

-LB play was good; Rucker was noticeable.

-D played much better than I was expecting. Holding down the run and forcing some punts. We gave up 21 points (or more) 8 times last year (to FCS schools) ... 9 with the Boise loss (which was ugly). 

Obviously there were some glaring issues as well:

-A few of Romfo's passes; the missed TD pass to Nate D. But lets let the kid settle in a bit.

-Kicking - Can't be missing some of these FGs or sending kick offs out of bounds.

-Pass protection - I'm sure this will get better, but I was actually impressed with the coverage on the first play. Safeties were all over that guy; no clue how he reeled it in.

-D line needs to get more pressure on the QB.

Montana should get a more well rounded picture of where this team sits, and I'll be interested to see how Iowa St does moving forward as well.

Settled??  It's his 4th year of college football.  He just Won the starting job.  I think a corner route should be in his wheelhouse.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Settled??  It's his 4th year of college football.  He just Won the starting job.  I think a corner route should be in his wheelhouse.

I get it, and I certainly don't have a ton of playin experience, but I'm betting he can sharpen up some of those throws. He may have been in college football or a few years, but how many games has he started? how many game snaps has he taken? how many FBS stadiums has he played in. Tommy certainly makes that TD pass, but I don't think he makes as much happen with his legs. Romfo also had some clutch passes on 3rd down; credit where credit is due.

I'm not looking to be an apologist for Romfo, but one game against Iowa St. is a small sample size. Maybe Jerry would have made a better throw or two, but would he have been able to replicate some  of the positives that Romfo had? I have no clue.

Overall, my post was really just calling out some of the positives and negatives I saw. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I get it, and I certainly don't have a ton of playin experience, but I'm betting he can sharpen up some of those throws. He may have been in college football or a few years, but how many games has he started? how many game snaps has he taken? how many FBS stadiums has he played in. Tommy certainly makes that TD pass, but I don't think he makes as much happen with his legs. Romfo also had some clutch passes on 3rd down; credit where credit is due.

I'm not looking to be an apologist for Romfo, but one game against Iowa St. is a small sample size. Maybe Jerry would have made a better throw or two, but would he have been able to replicate some  of the positives that Romfo had? I have no clue.

Overall, my post was really just calling out some of the positives and negatives I saw. 

It was an observant post.  On the QB front look at the past 10-15 FCS Champions and their QBs, then look at ours.  It's the most important position in all of sports (other than pitcher in fastpitch softball maybe:D) and we are failing, if you'd like to be in the Semi-Finals/Finals of FCS.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

It was an observant post.  On the QB front look at the past 10-15 FCS Champions and their QBs, then look at ours.  It's the most important position in all of sports (other than pitcher in fastpitch softball maybe:D) and we are failing, if you'd like to be in the Semi-Finals/Finals of FCS.  

Not going to argue with you there. Was hoping the Romfo was just player that well to win the job, but it is more concerning that Feeney or Kaminski could elevate their game and solidify the spot. Hopefully it gets better as the season goes on.