SiouxSports.com Forum

2024-25 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

3 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

I was really impressed with him in that interview, and by what he said about the pairwise. 

Can imagine the reaction here if UND just missed getting in and Brad Berry called for changes to the pairwise.

RE: comparing UMass and CC

CC had the far better record against ranked and top PWR teams.

Retort from UMass is "but BC and BU". And CC had quite the record against ... someone ... :whistling:

There was a cc fan who made a post in the college hockey subreddit. Someone who replied messed with the what if thing and there were quite a few games where an ot with or even a tie would have put them in the tourney. Just 1 game out of the many few. Ultimately they had some bad losses.

With the Pod system next year in the league and playing teams 4 times even less, winning the league title will be more determined on the strength of your POD any given year, so UND should be more focused on just building their game throughout the year.

Probably a good thing for Western, Omaha and Miami that they are in the same pod, as Omaha and Western lose a lot, and Miami… is Miami.  Denver’s pod with Arizona & CC could be good, but traditionally ours will be toughest with Duluth and St. Cloud.  

Hopefully that will sharpen us a little better, and we might not have to play CC and Omaha, so we can have a better record.  Think Duluth will be more skilled, but young, and St. Cloud will have to replace studs on defense, and not sure if Veeti Miettinen is back or not.

I won’t be sad if this means we won’t have to always play Omaha the last weekend, because I liked it when who you played was a crapshoot.  

Will be different for sure, and to me with even less interaction between top teams, kind of takes away from the league title.  I can see a perceived weaker pod like the Omaha one next year still in the running for high league or home ice finish if they can really take advantage and beat up on their pod and play average hockey beyond that.

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

With the Pod system next year in the league and playing teams 4 times even less, winning the league title will be more determined on the strength of your POD any given year, so UND should be more focused on just building their game throughout the year.

Probably a good thing for Western, Omaha and Miami that they are in the same pod, as Omaha and Western lose a lot, and Miami… is Miami.  Denver’s pod with Arizona & CC could be good, but traditionally ours will be toughest with Duluth and St. Cloud.  

Hopefully that will sharpen us a little better, and we might not have to play CC and Omaha, so we can have a better record.  Think Duluth will be more skilled, but young, and St. Cloud will have to replace studs on defense, and not sure if Veeti Miettinen is back or not.

I won’t be sad if this means we won’t have to always play Omaha the last weekend, because I liked it when who you played was a crapshoot.  

Will be different for sure, and to me with even less interaction between top teams, kind of takes away from the league title.  I can see a perceived weaker pod like the Omaha one next year still in the running for high league or home ice finish if they can really take advantage and beat up on there pod and play average hockey beyond that.

I tell you right now, I'm not excited about the prospect of playing DU only twice during the regular season.  Usually they're a pretty good guage as to where we stand in the league/nationally.  Plus it gives their 20 fans a chance to see the team in green up close and personal.

1 minute ago, Blackheart said:

I tell you right now, I'm not excited about the prospect of playing DU only twice during the regular season.  Usually they're a pretty good guage as to where we stand in the league/nationally.  Plus it gives their 20 fans a chance to see the team in green up close and personal.

It does rotate, so we will see them 4 times some years, but yeah, it is a great gauge for where we need to be against a very skilled team.  We obviously play them a lot better in Grand Forks.

On 4/4/2024 at 8:39 AM, iluvdebbies said:

Can imagine the reaction here if UND just missed getting in and Brad Berry called for changes to the pairwise.

The PWR is about as objective as you are going to get in terms of selecting the 16 team field. Don't fix what is not broken.

Projection based on current info:

Forward (15):
GR - Jamernik
SR - Berg, Kunz, Schmaltz, Montgomery
JR - Blake, McLaughlin, James, Strinden
SO - Perron
FR - Swanson, Boisvert, Croal, Littler
X - Portal

Defense (9):
JR - Zmolek
SO - Livanavage, Wiebe, Benoit, Komzak, MacDonald
FR - Jubenvill, Strathmann, Emery

Goalie (3):
SR - Semptimphelter
JR - Johnson
SO - Hedquist

Caleb MacDonald comes to UND out of the portal.
Looks to be a solid add for sure, although he is LHD, so we'll be short on RHD for next season unless some more moves are coming.  And that SO class of Dmen is large.
Solid pipeline coming from UAF from the looks of it.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

The dcore is young and has a chance to really grow into something.  I like the addition.  

Zmolek and MacDonald would be formidable. Big, big boys. Lock down D.

• Upvote 3

I would rather be arranging plans for St Paul and the F4 (or any F4) but if regular yearly early portal siphoning gets you off.........

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

Hey we’re all disappointed. Don’t worry, we’re going to win one again. Some day when you least expect it :) 

Like the 1997 team that was picked to finish 5th in the WCHA.

Or the 2000 team that didn't get on a roll until late in the season.

33 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I would rather be arranging plans for St Paul and the F4 (or any F4) but if regular yearly early portal siphoning gets you off.........

Yeah, would love to be planning for that, too. I guess I just prefer to move on when stuff sucks. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Like the 1997 team that was picked to finish 5th in the WCHA.

Or the 2000 team that didn't get on a roll until late in the season.

Ahh to get on a roll late in the season.  The good ol days.

• Upvote 2