SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Early Departures and Transfer Portal

brianvf

42 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

the text said

"xxxx's sources are telling him Blake is gone"

Well we didn’t get Pohlkamp, most likely will lose out on Wood, maybe get Wilkie on a 1 yr deal?….hopefully the Blake situation goes in our favor. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Well Boisvert should be a first rounder (insane, finally a 1st rd F) and emery could sneak in there too. And I’ll take’m 

Oh, I’ll take them, but they could be 2 year players, which is fine if you have built the roster around them with some experience. I get more excited about guys like Swanson that could be with us for a couple championships.  If Blake leaves it will be disappointing because I saw him as at least a three year player.
    Was hoping he would give us a father/son tandem that both won National Championships.  Also love players like Cole Smith that are so competitive that they never let up and invest everything in their game.  
   I know guys like Toews, Oshie, Zajac and Parise never won a championship, but would love to see that kind of first round talent, where your hardest workers are also your most talented players. A lot of times first round talent have always just been head and shoulders above the competition and don’t always have that extra push.  We’ve all seen guys that think it is about them, Lucius, cough, cough!

So, how does the NIL work in regards to recruiting for someone like Wood or Pohlkamp?  Obviously the coaches would have to let the collective know who they are interested in, so is it then up to the collective to offer the athlete, or do they then work through the coaches?

4 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Name one good thing that has happened for this program over the past month. And the Penrose Cup was in February, so you can't count that. Just saying.

Well, I think it has brought all of us at SiouxSports a lot closer.  :glare:  Nah!

46 minutes ago, tnt said:

So, how does the NIL work in regards to recruiting for someone like Wood or Pohlkamp?  Obviously the coaches would have to let the collective know who they are interested in, so is it then up to the collective to offer the athlete, or do they then work through the coaches?

yeah, I'm guessing this has all been worked out way in advance. #Sandy'spissed

3 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Does DU have an NIL collective as well?  I honestly don't know.

Not sure how many people would contribute to it being that their hockey team has like 20 total fans.  ;)

So they’ve added a few more fans?

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

maybe.....he's pretty reliable tho...he knows what's what in und athletics.

It wouldn't surprise me if Carolina was putting the full court press on him to sign if he could enter free agency next summer if he doesn't sign this year.
Plus, he just had one of the best UND seasons for points in quite some time.

That said, I'm sure Berry & Co (and maybe his dad) have told him that another season of strength training could do wonders for being able to step right into an NHL roster.
And...it would be sad if the last memory of him in a UND jersey was getting injured while attempting to take a shot at a UM player as time expired in yet another NCAA first round loss.  Returning would give him a chance to erase that memory and bring home the final trophy next season...like his dad did.  :) 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, brianvf said:

It’s been rumored that he was leaning DU since before he even entered the portal. It wasn’t a waste of time I’m guessing…maybe Berry and Co made the decision difficult for him. 
As far as him wanting a college championship, then he could have prob picked from any one of 10-15 teams…including UND. :)

Was told that he really clicked with Carle and was pretty set on DU since he got back after World Jrs

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Let's get the ship righted with whoever is on the roster in September.  I'll still bleed green either way and still have to explain to my wife why I yell at the TV on Friday's and Saturdays from October through March April.

FYP

C'mon man.  ;) 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, brianvf said:

Dylan Wendt (WMU) and Sam Lipkin (QU) have both signed pro deals.

Another one for QU signed...Graf after his JR season.

QU losing a fair amount of skilled forwards already...they'll have some holes to fill up front.
Lipkin, Graf, Quillan all signed NHL deals...and Fillion transferred to Miami.

15 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Another one for QU signed...Graf after his JR season.

QU losing a fair amount of skilled forwards already...they'll have some holes to fill up front.
Lipkin, Graf, Quillan all signed NHL deals...and Fillion transferred to Miami.

Rasanen and Duplessis not returning for 5th year also

9 hours ago, tnt said:

Agree we need to see results, but don’t know if that entails getting this certain player, or that player, but moreso a change in mindset or philosophy in the postseason to make sure we are playing our best hockey that time of year, rather than peaking early.

Indeed. I think Berry puts so much emphasis on winning the Penrose (one of his "checking the boxes" as he's fond of saying) that the players get a little burned out from trying to win the conference every year; like there's a big drop in energy after the players finally scale Mt. Penrose & plant the team flag atop of it. Case in point: they won the Penrose against Miami, then get swept in Omaha the following weekend; although there were signs that they were on the decline before that.

I can't think of any other reason the team may be peaking too early than this.  But like you said earlier, I'm not sure he's even aware that something's 'off'; and looking at this team's performance in this year's tournament vs other teams' performances, something was definitely 'off'. My theory is that it's a mismanagement of the team's energy, causing the players to get mentally drained & 'check out' as it gets late into the season; possibly due to being hyper-focused on winning the Penrose for 5 months.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I'm old enough now to where I can't let what a 20 year old (Whom I'll never probably meet) decides to do with his (ope, he/they/them) life effect mine too much.

They've got to make a decision and live with it, and I've got to figure out how to help my 12 year old figure out his short game so he can make the junior high golf team.

Let's get the ship righted with whoever is on the roster in September.  I'll still bleed green either way and still have to explain to my wife why I yell at the TV on Friday's and Saturdays from October through March.

#AimPoint

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I'm old enough now to where I can't let what a 20 year old (Whom I'll never probably meet) decides to do with his (ope, he/they/them) life effect mine too much.

They've got to make a decision and live with it, and I've got to figure out how to help my 12 year old figure out his short game so he can make the junior high golf team.

Let's get the ship righted with whoever is on the roster in September.  I'll still bleed green either way and still have to explain to my wife why I yell at the TV on Friday's and Saturdays from October through March.

Exactly, Wilbur.   We can be fans of the game and program without letting results make or ruin our day.    Small stuff/big stuff.   

That doesn't mean you won't be available if they're in a pinch for a tendie, though, right?

11 hours ago, brianvf said:

Certainly didn't hurt that Pohlkamp has already played for Carle this season too.

True.

Heil played on a US team with KG as an assistant last summer and we landed Heil shortly after. Same thing only different.

The key: Our coaches need to be out there on those select staffs. But we only have one American coach (KG) and Canadian teams tend to not pick US collegiate coaches (even Canadian ones). 

11 hours ago, tnt said:

"The 1883 Collective is a third-party college athletics collective tailored for UND athletes, aiming to provide name, image, and likeness (NIL) opportunities and foster community service initiatives. Although it supports UND student athletes, it maintains no direct affiliation with the University of North Dakota." 

https://1883collective.com/faq/ 

8 hours ago, Wilbur said:

... and still have to explain to my wife why I yell at the TV on Friday's and Saturdays from October through March.

< we go live to Wilbur's man-cave > 

a862d317-a946-4580-af01-9565deeb097b_tex

• Like 2