SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Early Departures and Transfer Portal

brianvf

10 minutes ago, .357 said:

Playing in front of the best & most numerous fans in hockey-crazed GF and the best college rink in America wasn't enough to sway his decision. Nor did UND's "culture" or tradition win him over. I think it highlights that he trusts Carle more than the UND staff to get him to the next level. I don't blame him, it sounds like he made a practical decision based on comparisons between the two schools over the last 6-7 years: one coach excels in the regular season; the other, the playoffs. If I were his advisor & not a complete UND homer like I am now, I would have also tried to steer him towards DU. Future head-to-head battles w/ DU over star players may play out the same way as Pohlkamp if Berry doesn't fix his mindset & start bringing home some titles. The precedent has been set.

Shhhh, don't bring inconvenient truths into this (sarcasm). ;)

12 minutes ago, .357 said:

I think it highlights that he trusts Carle more than the UND staff to get him to the next level.

Or it could be as simple as he’s spent the last year in Bemidji and wanted to spend the next 1-2 years in a bigger city?

All these kids have different reasons for choosing the schools that they do. Pohlkamp would be playing at the next level regardless of what school he attends, heck he could have stayed at BSU and accomplished that goal easily. Both DU and UND coaching staffs have proven without doubt that they are good at preparing their athletes for the next level. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Or it could be as simple as he’s spent the last year in Bemidji and wanted to spend the next 1-2 years in a bigger city?

If he wanted to experience big-city life in Denver, then it would have been a waste of his time to make a visit to UND yesterday; so I doubt that was the reason...Maybe he wanted to experience what a college championship feels like before he becomes just another human resource cog on an NHL team. 

5 minutes ago, .357 said:

If he wanted to experience big-city life in Denver, then it would have been a waste of his time to make a visit to UND yesterday; so I doubt that was the reason...Maybe he wanted to experience what a college championship feels like before he becomes just another human resource cog on an NHL team. 

It’s been rumored that he was leaning DU since before he even entered the portal. It wasn’t a waste of time I’m guessing…maybe Berry and Co made the decision difficult for him. 
As far as him wanting a college championship, then he could have prob picked from any one of 10-15 teams…including UND. :)

5 minutes ago, Sweethockey said:

IMG_7203.jpeg.93ed9ba2ef4476acc183d87393906e76.jpeg

Maybe Carle sold him on all the doobie rolling they do in Colorado, which may mean Pohlkamp won’t amount to “jack squat”.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Who coached that team ... 

Pohlkamp is really good. I was at the Summer Showcase in Plymouth and Livinavage struggled and Pohlkamp didn’t. While I really like Livinavage, Pohlkamp is probably the better all around player.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Goon said:

Oh for Christ's sake. Your comment is without merit. UND’s recruiting class is ranked second next season. Besides, where was said recruit going to fit? 

IMG_0566.jpeg

Lol, nice rankings.  People pay for that?

2 hours ago, brianvf said:

All these kids have different reasons for choosing the schools that they do. Pohlkamp would be playing at the next level regardless of what school he attends, heck he could have stayed at BSU and accomplished that goal easily. Both DU and UND coaching staffs have proven without doubt that they are good at preparing their athletes for the next level. 

I’d bet top $ it has to do with Carle. He’s been incredible the past 6 years. Also, he really allows his skill players to play their own style, especially the dmen. I’ve actually heard that from some higher end players. Fairly attractive recruiting tool. (Can’t stand that I just posted this).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The last month has been a total disaster for this team. Denver is in the Frozen Four and we are still searching for answers. That is what is causing my sour mood. So forgive me if I'm not giddy as a schoolgirl right now.

…and in the past we agreed that recruit rankings and high draft picks don’t mean you are going to win it all.  In fact someone pointed out the number of first round picks Denver has had.  Seemed like Minnesota always had higher ranked classes, even in the Blais era.  Agree we need to see results, but don’t know if that entails getting this certain player, or that player, but moreso a change in mindset or philosophy in the postseason to make sure we are playing our best hockey that time of year, rather than peaking early.

19 minutes ago, ChetSteadman said:

Lol, nice rankings.  People pay for that?

Are the # of commits supposed to be for the 2024 class alone?  If so, Maine is replacing almost their entire team with their freshman class.

;) 

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

…and in the past we agreed that recruit rankings and high draft picks don’t mean you are going to win it all.  In fact someone pointed out the number of first round picks Denver has had.  Seemed like Minnesota always had higher ranked classes, even in the Blais era.  Agree we need to see results, but don’t know if that entails getting this certain player, or that player, but moreso a change in mindset or philosophy in the postseason to make sure we are playing our best hockey that time of year, rather than peaking early.

1st round talents sure help. Look at the top 5 scoring race. I know it’s just one year, but BC has a bunch of 1st rounders. They may not win it…but they sure do look to be a tough out. BU has some decent first rounders/future first rounders.

12 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I’d bet top $ it has to do with Carle. He’s been incredible the past 6 years. Also, he really allows his skill players to play their own style, especially the dmen. I’ve actually heard that from some higher end players. Fairly attractive recruiting tool. (Can’t stand that I just posted this).

Certainly didn't hurt that Pohlkamp has already played for Carle this season too.
He would have been a great addition...as it is now, time to move on to the next best RHD guy!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

1st round talents sure help. Look at the top 5 scoring race. I know it’s just one year, but BC has a bunch of 1st rounders. They may not win it…but they sure do look to be a tough out. BU has some decent first rounders/future first rounders.

If one of them win it this year, doesn’t mean much when you have other teams that have been rolling in first round draft picks the last decade and don’t even have league titles to show for it. 

6 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Are the # of commits supposed to be for the 2024 class alone?  If so, Maine is replacing almost their entire team with their freshman class.

;) 

Ha who knows?  It does say Class of 24.  Feel for the people that pay for that stuff and think they’re “In the know”

4 minutes ago, tnt said:

If one of them win it this year, doesn’t mean much when you have other teams that have been rolling in first round draft picks the last decade and don’t even have league titles to show for it. 

Well Boisvert should be a first rounder (insane, finally a 1st rd F) and emery could sneak in there too. And I’ll take’m 

• Like 1